• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Pharmacy said:
no and this is exactly why i hate the game

WHY DO I NOT GET AN ARMOUR BOOST

WHY DO I NOT GET AN ARMOUR SPAWN AT MY SAFEHOUSE

WHY DO I NOT UNLOCK A SPECIAL POLICECAR THAT PERMANENTLY SPAWNS IN A CERTAIN AREA kljsdfhksdhfksdjhf

You nailed it. All the arcade fun I had with the GTA3 is minimized with Rockstar's focus on realism and sim-dating/pool, etc.

And while achievements are neat and everything - its FAR better to get an in-game reward for your achievements rather than just a gamerscore boost.

I still like the world Rockstar pain-stakingly created, but not the game itself. Multiplayer though, especially Mafiya Work is all kinds of fun though.

rhino4evr

I think the game would have been A LOT better if the entire time you were helping Roman set up and run his business and helping Brucie, Bernie and Lil Jacob with their problems as well. Even unlocking cities would make sense because Roman can expand his business by opening a branch in Algonquin and you could be running that branch or something.

Really, becuase that sounds down right boring to me. This isn't SimTaxi it's Grand Theft Auto. Of course Nico is going to evenually beome a hired gun. This is what the series is all about. What Rockstar did right, is show the opening struggle a bit better. It's a rag to riches story just like every GTA.

The folks that you choose to or not to assinate are begging for their lives. The thugs that you kill to get there are just protecting their leader. It's a kill or be killed situation. The game has a lot more heart compared to the last few games. Giving you the choice shows it.

I do agree that the amount of missions where you drive to a location and kill, then chase someone till they stop could have been cut down considerably. There are still lots of great missions that offer variety, that shouldn't be forgotten when your judging the game as a whole.

ElyrionX

rhino4evr said:
Really, becuase that sounds down right boring to me. This isn't SimTaxi it's Grand Theft Auto. Of course Nico is going to evenually beome a hired gun. This is what the series is all about. What Rockstar did right, is show the opening struggle a bit better. It's a rag to riches story just like every GTA.

The folks that you choose to or not to assinate are begging for their lives. The thugs that you kill to get there are just protecting their leader. It's a kill or be killed situation. The game has a lot more heart compared to the last few games. Giving you the choice shows it.

I do agree that the amount of missions where you drive to a location and kill, then chase someone till they stop could have been cut down considerably. There are still lots of great missions that offer variety, that shouldn't be forgotten when your judging the game as a whole.

Well, I'll still give the game a 10/10 but I still think quite a lot of the missions could have been cut down on.

Maybe I'm just looking for something more light-hearted. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Bully so much.

If only Rockstar would outsource the entire Liberty City to other developers who could then create their own games within it. How awesome would that be?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
So far I've been really impressed with the game. The last mission I did was deconsruction for beginners and so far the game has been brilliant. Gameplay and story have both been really good so far.

ElyrionX said:
It's the whole Italian mafia and the McReary brothers arcs that made the game such a bore and dragged the story down.
I've just stated doing missions for
packie
and so far it sounds like it'll be quite interesting. I like how
one brother is a policeman, the other is a criminal
Its set up for some interesting stuff, but you've made it sound like I'll be disappointed.

rhino4evr

ElyrionX said:
Well, I'll still give the game a 10/10 but I still think quite a lot of the missions could have been cut down on.

Maybe I'm just looking for something more light-hearted. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Bully so much.

If only Rockstar would outsource the entire Liberty City to other developers who could then create their own games within it. How awesome would that be?

Very awesome. There is always DLC!! (if you have a 360)

Not sure I'd give it a 10 yet. I'm not finished, just completed Museum Piece. The last 5 or so missions have all been excellent. I think the scripted events really add alot to the missions, even if they are a bit limiting.

ElyrionX said:

See I'm one of those people who enjoyed the game but wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10 score although I enjoyed it a lot. I still like SA a bit more as a complete package. I just appreciate some of the things they were able to achieve with this one(in the single-player). I've seen a lot of "this is the first GTA I've ever completed posts" and I think there is something to that.

Double D

rhino4evr said:
It's a rag to riches story just like every GTA.

It really is, regardless of whether they were trying for that or not. The monetary aspect is kind of frustrating. I feel like it's some sort of social experiment where they gave a bum $500,000 dollars and told him he could only spend it on booze, guns, fast food, clothing, and hookers.

rhino4evr

psycho_snake said:
So far I've been really impressed with the game. The last mission I did was deconsruction for beginners and so far the game has been brilliant. Gameplay and story have both been really good so far.

packie
Its set up for some interesting stuff, but you've made it sound like I'll be disappointed.

don't worry, if you have reasonable expectations you won't be. Also, he has one of the best missions in the entire game. Sad that it comes so soon in the adventure.

ElyrionX

psycho_snake said:
packie

Don't worry. The game is still awesome. Just remember to take your time with it and don't play it intensively or you may get burned out. And remember, taxis are your best friends.

ElyrionX

Stoney Mason said:
See I'm one of those people who enjoyed the game but wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10 score although I enjoyed it a lot. I still like SA a bit more as a complete package. I just appreciate some of the things they were able to achieve with this one(in the single-player). I've seen a lot of "this is the first GTA I've ever completed posts" and I think there is something to that.

I know where you're coming from since I was playing SA quite a bit before GTAIV's release. It really is more of a complete package but I thought the urban areas (with the exception of Los Santos) in the game were boring as hell.

dedhead54

Am I fucking retarded for not being able to find the option to change the text size in the phone?? I swear I've looked under "Options" 20 times and do not see anything.

dedhead54

ShinAmano said:
Anyone have any hints on getting a car to do 5 rolls?

At the airport, on the grass beside the runway, there are these yellow speed-bump like things. Get a lot of speed and hit one with just two wheels and it should send you in to a pretty good spin.

Mr.City

Pharmacy said:

WHY DO I NOT UNLOCK A SPECIAL POLICECAR THAT PERMANENTLY SPAWNS IN A CERTAIN AREA kljsdfhksdhfksdjhf

Seriously? That sucks. It doesn't make any sense to put that into the game and not offer any incentive.

Finncognito said:
Yeah, go to www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com with the in-game browser. There are maps for Stevie's cars, random characters and some other stuff.

Fucking wow. Rockstar, those handsome devils.

CJ loses verisimilitude when you leave Los Santos. You go from reluctant gangbanger to superspy real estate owner who also owns a record label. When you're parachuting into the hoover dam to bomb it, fighting through Area 51 to steal a jetpack and sneaking onto a naval carrier to steal a jet, you just sorta stop caring about the belivability factor.

And 360 players, my tag is Shockgamer M2B. At this point I'll play anything. :lol

ShinAmano

dedhead54 said:
At the airport, on the grass beside the runway, there are these yellow speed-bump like things. Get a lot of speed and hit one with just two wheels and it should send you in to a pretty good spin.
So build speed...then turn to hit them?

This is the first GTA that I've really felt very little incentive to explore to be honest. It's the best looking city but after x amount of GTA's going out on a murderous rampage is getting tiresome and also feels out of place b/c Niko is supposed to be the "reluctant killer". Thankfully there's multiplayer for that.

One thing I'd like to see Rockstar impliment is to add items that would reveal a backstory or some history to the city. Something similar to bioshock where side plots and origins are revealed through random tape recordings. I mean Liberty City has a past. Why not flesh it out?

Gully State said:
One thing I'd like to see Rockstar impliment is to add items that would reveal a backstory or some history to the city. Something similar to bioshock where side plots and origins are revealed through random tape recordings. I mean Liberty City has a past. Why not flesh it out?

Roughly agree. I think the one off side missions are a perfect way to do that and even incorporate things that aren't necessarily as realistic or something maybe Niko wouldn't run into under normal circumstances.

rhino4evr

Gully State said:
This is the first GTA that I've really felt very little incentive to explore to be honest. It's the best looking city but after x amount of GTA's going out on a murderous rampage is getting tiresome and also feels out of place b/c Niko is supposed to be the "reluctant killer". Thankfully there's multiplayer for that.

Do yourself a favor and watch The History of Liberty City on TV. It's hilarious and gives you plenty of back story about how the city became such a mess. great stuff.

Pharmacy said:

Beating all three Most Wanted lists and getting nothing more than an achievement was one of the greatest disappointments I've ever had in gaming.

rhino4evr said:
Do yourself a favor and watch The History of Liberty City on TV. It's hilarious and gives you plenty of back story about how the city became such a mess. great stuff.

what channel is that on? I have to admit, I haven't been watching TV in GTA or listening to the radio.

rhino4evr

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Beating all three Most Wanted lists and getting nothing more than an achievement was one of the greatest disappointments I've ever had in gaming.

at least you got something, PS3 owners have no incentive.

what channel is that on? I have to admit, I haven't been watching TV in GTA or listening to the radio.

Channel? I'm not sure. I was under the impression that the TV just has a bunch of shows that play on every channel. That way something different is always on. Teh History of Liberty City plays off like a PBS documentary. It's about 15 minutes long including commercials, but it's worth every minute. It's basically a retelling of the founding of America. It even tells you where the names of the areas come from. For instance "Dukes came from the word Dookie, becuase all it's residents smelled like shit"

You should defintiely pay attention to the radio news boradcasts, as their are certain people and events that are mentioned that are directly tied to the story. The internet is the same way. I think a lot of people skip through this stuff without realizing the amount of depth Rockstar has really created with this city.

homez99

After 31 hours I'm finally at the last mission, but I really need some help, so I'm going to post the bit where I'm stuck below (I'll mark the spoiler so it won't get read accidentally):

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE END

Basically, I jump the ramp onto the helicopter, but when I have to rapidly tap A to pull myself onto the chopper, I hit the A button with everything I've got, but I can never get onto it, and it just says that Pegorino got away. What type of pace do I need to hit the A button with? I was hammering away as fast as I could, and that would make the camera following the chopper change, but wouldn't bring me on board. I really hope someone can help as I've tried it six times now and I'm getting no closer to doing it.

homez99 said:
After 31 hours I'm finally at the last mission, but I really need some help, so I'm going to post the bit where I'm stuck below (I'll mark the spoiler so it won't get read accidentally):

Basically, I jump the ramp onto the helicopter, but when I have to rapidly tap A to pull myself onto the chopper, I hit the A button with everything I've got, but I can never get onto it, and it just says that Pegorino got away. What type of pace do I need to hit the A button with? I was hammering away as fast as I could, and that would make the camera following the chopper change, but wouldn't bring me on board. I really hope someone can help as I've tried it six times now and I'm getting no closer to doing it.

Not sure what is going on then. Maybe your A button is sticking or something. That wasn't too difficult as I remember. Are you letting go of the controller and focusing on just doing that one thing? That's about the only tip I can give.

Pewp

homez99 said:

You sure you are not on board? Once that camera view changes I am almost positive that you end up controlling the helicopter aswell as the turret on it. Just stay close to him after that.

rhino4evr said:
Channel? I'm not sure. I was under the impression that the TV just has a bunch of shows that play on every channel. That way something different is always on. Teh History of Liberty City plays off like a PBS documentary. It's about 15 minutes long including commercials, but it's worth every minute.

You should defintiely pay attention to the radio news boradcasts, as their are certain people and events that are mentioned that are directly tied to the story. The internet is the same way. I think a lot of people skip through this stuff without realizing the amount of depth Rockstar has really created with this city.

yeah I got the whole news stuff on the radio. That's a pretty cool touch. Although I was pissed after listening to how the whole
diamond issue was resolved

Vik_Vaughn said:
It really is, regardless of whether they were trying for that or not. The monetary aspect is kind of frustrating. I feel like it's some sort of social experiment where they gave a bum $500,000 dollars and told him he could only spend it on booze, guns, fast food, clothing, and hookers.

Yeah, I kinda with that they had given us something really really expensive to buy; something that we'd have to save for or do more jobs for.

As it stands, my $800,000 stands to be whittled away by gun purchases and healthcare. There really isn't any other use for it. (cab rides and hotdogs are so cheap as to not even make an impact).

Maybe a super deluxe penthouse or mansion to buy, or the option to purchase sportscars, and always have them spawn in your parking spots (this would also get rid of the 'never drive the Infernus, just look at it' phenomenon)

Revengeance said:
Yeah, I kinda with that they had given us something really really expensive to buy; something that we'd have to save for or do more jobs for.

As it stands, my $800,000 stands to be whittled away by gun purchases and healthcare. There really isn't any other use for it. (cab rides and hotdogs are so cheap as to not even make an impact).

Maybe a super deluxe penthouse or mansion to buy, or the option to purchase sportscars, and always have them spawn in your parking spots (this would also get rid of the 'never drive the Infernus, just look at it' phenomenon)

Honestly a few really expensive cars that you actually had to purchase and that were nearly impossible to steal would have been a good money sink.

The money issue (although in theory it could be treated as a high score) and the lack of proper rewards for doing some of the extra stuff are legit criticisms.

rhino4evr

Stoney Mason said:
Honestly a few really expensive cars that you actually had to purchase and that were nearly impossible to steal would have been a good money sink.

The money issue (although in theory it could be treated as a high score) and the lack of proper rewards for doing some of the extra stuff are legit criticisms.

BUYING(!) cars in Grand Theft Auto? No thanks.

Now Buying a massive garage to hold all my stolen beauties would have been a better idea.

homez99

Stoney Mason said:
Not sure what is going on then. Maybe your A button is sticking or something. That wasn't too difficult as I remember. Are you letting go of the controller and focusing on just doing that one thing? That's about the only tip I can give.

Yeah I'm letting go of everything else and rapidly pressing A, but Niko just won't get in. I even just tried the mission again with my wired 360 pad to see if it was the A button, and that didn't work either so it must be the way I'm doing it. It's so infuriating as I've got through everything else without a massive challenge, and now I'm flummoxed by a relatively easy segment on a tough mission.

Twig

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Now Buying a massive garage to hold all my stolen beauties would have been a better idea.
This.

Nothing I want more than to have a huge parking garage all to my lonesome.

I lost Stevie's dark red chrome comet thanks to a stupid taxi knocking it out of the parking spot JUST A TINY BIT.
Stoney Mason said:
As I re-play the game again or play some of the multiplayer races, I'm constantly amazed at the geometry and level of design in the environment. When people bring up things like Crackdown and try to compare the world I'm always stunned. It's not even a comparison.
Thing about Crackdown, is it was both vertical AND horizontal. GTA has very few examples of vertical level design. And most of it is just climbing up long flights of stairs with a shotting break every other floor.

Sometimes there's some rooftop fun to be had, but it's very rare.

I don't mean to downplay GTA4. I love it! I'm jus' sayin'. d:

rhino4evr said:
BUYING(!) cars in Grand Theft Auto? No thanks.

A smallish garage would have been nice. By the car aspect I meant more that it should be extremly difficult to steal those cars so that using money became something to actually spend it on if you didn't want to go through the hassle although that was just off the top of my head and I agree in a GTA game, would be rather bizzare. :lol

The thing is buying property I think wouldn't have even detracted from the narractive experience so even I was dissapointed that aspect was removed.

As a fair question, I wonder how much was removed from the main game to reserve for the two DLC packs...

MMaRsu

homez99 said:
Yeah I'm letting go of everything else and rapidly pressing A, but Niko just won't get in. I even just tried the mission again with my wired 360 pad to see if it was the A button, and that didn't work either so it must be the way I'm doing it. It's so infuriating as I've got through everything else without a massive challenge, and now I'm flummoxed by a relatively easy segment on a tough mission.

What the hell m8?

Just keep pressing A like really really fast and Niko will hop on that chopper! Maybe the game is bugged, did you try reloading your save or clearing the cache on your 360? I have no idea but that was a very easy part of the mission for me...

By the way, you - me and any other gaffers wanna play online later on?

I'll be the host ^_^

Oh and about the garages...it's not realistic, but the way Saints Row did it was the best shit ever. You could store like 40 cars in 1 garage, and you could cycle through it and select one from it.

I would have loved to see this in GTAIV :

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=sBaHbAXhsYI&feature=related

Chinner

Banned
homez99 said:

I had this problem. Basically, I was getting into to the boat to slowly, meaning the helicopter had a furthur gap distance between us, so by the time jacob arrives, you have less time to be able to get ready for the jump. So I guess what im trying ot say is get in the boat quicker

FFChris

I'm actually suprised this game got so many 10s. I mean, as a simulation of a world it's amazing, as a game it's a little lacking. I'd give it a 9, but I don't think it's a 10.

TheOneGuy said:
Thing about Crackdown, is it was both vertical AND horizontal. GTA has very few examples of vertical level design. And most of it is just climbing up long flights of stairs with a shotting break every other floor.

Sometimes there's some rooftop fun to be had, but it's very rare.

I don't mean to downplay GTA4. I love it! I'm jus' sayin'. d:

No I hear you. There was certainly the element of Crackdown that scaling buildings in and of itself was actually important. And in that style of game that is important. I was mainly aiming my barbs at the strict geometry of the levels (and some critcisms leveled in another thread at GTA 4) which are not especially dense or varied, or especially complex in crackdown. For what it is doing, the geometry is perfectly fine though and fits within their design philosophy and keeps a mostly higher framerate.

I was just being bitchy and should have clarified my comments in the original post.

MMaRsu said:
What the hell m8?

Just keep pressing A like really really fast and Niko will hop on that chopper! Maybe the game is bugged, did you try reloading your save or clearing the cache on your 360? I have no idea but that was a very easy part of the mission for me...

I'll be the host ^_^

Oh and about the garages...it's not realistic, but the way Saints Row did it was the best shit ever. You could store like 40 cars in 1 garage, and you could cycle through it and select one from it.

I would have loved to see this in GTAIV :

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=sBaHbAXhsYI&feature=related

If you're on PS3, I should be able to join depending on what time...

My PSN ID is : Gullystate

I got a mic too so there'll be some coordination at the very least.

MMaRsu

Gully State said:
If you're on PS3, I should be able to join depending on what time...

My PSN ID is : Gullystate

I got a mic too so there'll be some coordination at the very least.

Sorry m8, 360 here..

homez99

MMaRsu said:

Boy that sounds well righteous, think I need that to chill out as this is doing my head in now, I'm pressing A like a complete madman and throwing my controller and shouting a particularly offensive four letter word, which must be a bit displeasurable for my neighbours.

Stoney Mason said:
As I re-play the game again or play some of the multiplayer races, I'm constantly amazed at the geometry and level of design in the environment. When people bring up things like Crackdown and try to compare the world I'm always stunned. It's not even a comparison.

In Crackdown, all of the geometry is interactive - and thats a huge difference.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is there any way to get Stevie's calls about what cars he wants stolen to appear faster? It seems like you have to wait a while after taking a car to the garage for the next message to show up on the cell phone.

rhino4evr

NullPointer said:
In Crackdown, all of the geometry is interactive - and thats a huge difference.

Just becuase you could climb and interact with every building does not mean the architecture was important.

GTA4 is the most believable city I have ever driven through in a game. Despite the obvious issues with respawing cars, light traffic, and few pedestrians. I say they nailed the impression of NYC almost to a tee.

Crackdown felt like a comic book/videogame city. It wasn't nearly as realistic or well designed.

homez99 said:
Boy that sounds well righteous, think I need that to chill out as this is doing my head in now, I'm pressing A like a complete madman and throwing my controller and shouting a particularly offensive four letter word, which must be a bit displeasurable for my neighbours.

You must have hit a bug in the game or something. It really isn't that hard especially if other bits of the game haven't given you much trouble. If you have a save, a little bit back, I would try that.

Won

Mooreberg said:
Is there any way to get Stevie's calls about what cars he wants stolen to appear faster? It seems like you have to wait a while after taking a car to the garage for the next message to show up on the cell phone.

Sleep in the safe house next to it. You should get a message instantly after standing up.

Top Bottom