• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Laurent said:
Did anybody else experienced this? I just bought a Dual Shock 3 and I already had a savegame
(just decided to kill Playboy X)
and I have NO RUMBLE WHATSOEVER. It is activated (actually, the controler rumbles when it is activated) but never rumbles afterwards; even after crashes, getting hit, dying, etc.

The rumble in this game is incredibly weak. You'll feel it at stripclubs, when your phone rings and other small things, but not when you would expect it to be (like crashing).

TTG

chubigans said:
The rumble in this game is incredibly weak. You'll feel it at stripclubs, when your phone rings and other small things, but not when you would expect it to be (like crashing).

That + try driving in 1st person camera angle. There seems to be more rumble that way.

Laurent said:
Did anybody else experienced this? I just bought a Dual Shock 3 and I already had a savegame
and I have NO RUMBLE WHATSOEVER. It is activated (actually, the controler rumbles when it is activated) but never rumbles afterwards; even after crashes, getting hit, dying, etc.
Apparently, every time there is thunder in Liberty City they simultaneously experience an earthquake that measures 9.2 on the Richter scale.

If you want to see if your rumble is working, wait for a thunder storm. The rumble is ridiculous (in a bad way).

Edit: push the PS button and make sure that the Vibration function is ON for your controller. But it's true that the vibration is weak in GTA IV for the most part (the massive exception being thunder, WTF?)

Has anyone noticed that the hit detection with vehicles in multiplayer is way off? I'll slam into someone on my screen with my car, and then suddenly they'll slide across the screen, immediately standing up.

Lobster

Banned
Little Jacob
is hilarious :lol

What the hell is he even saying??

Rode in a cab and train too..great experiences. GTAIV has really brought GTA series up a level. Bikes are crappy now though :\

Just a question:

see that mission you do for vlad where you get the option to kill or save some guy? I chose to kill him, what happens if I had saved him?

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Has anyone noticed that the hit detection with vehicles in multiplayer is way off? I'll slam into someone on my screen with my car, and then suddenly they'll slide across the screen, immediately standing up.

Probably lag

Tiktaalik

I drove to the Times Square area for the first time earlier tonight. It was all dark and the effect was stunning. It was just as visually overwhelming as the real Times Square is.

TTG

Anyone else think the Assassination missions were some of the more interesting ones? They are much smaller, almost bite size missions, but I think they were very well done. Unlike a lot of the epic, heavily scripted story missions where you wade through wave after wave of bad guys these were simple challanges. But, I think from a design stand point they worked very well.

I like how you're simply presented with a problem and then come up with your way of taking care of it as you see fit. Both of the boat missions I finished with a sniper rifle from land. The gang of bikers would scatter if you just shot at them, so I simply lobbed 2 or 3 granades, they didn't know what hit them. I didn't bother chasing the guy to the helicopter either, parked a block away and took it out with an RPG. Got in front of the convoy and took the limo out with an RPG as well.

I think if Rockstar had included more of these sandbox style missions, with a couple of ways to complete them, it would of been a nice change of pace. It seemed in the end, it was all epic shootouts and chases. But then again, I did them all one after the other once I completed the main story.

BTW if anyone cares. Completing the main story, all side missions and getting all the people you meet to like you took me 39 hours and shows up as 71% completion. I haven't finished any of the "jobs" you do for Brucie{other than the racing} or Little Jacob and I only did ONE random encounter. That came out to 410 achievement points, all of this without touching the multiplayer. Oh and I have almost 800k.

Lobster said:
Little Jacob
is hilarious :lol

What the hell is he even saying??

Rode in a cab and train too..great experiences. GTAIV has really brought GTA series up a level. Bikes are crappy now though :\

Just a question:

see that mission you do for vlad where you get the option to kill or save some guy? I chose to kill him, what happens if I had saved him?
If you
don't kill him, you get some random missions off him later. But they don't count towards 100% completion, they're just curios.

KTallguy

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I drove to the Times Square area for the first time earlier tonight. It was all dark and the effect was stunning. It was just as visually overwhelming as the real Times Square is.

Damn it, I still haven't seen that.

How long do you think it took you to get there, approximately ?

Tiktaalik

KTallguy said:
Damn it, I still haven't seen that.

How long do you think it took you to get there, approximately ?

I did some random mission for this new friend that I met through Elizabeth to get there. My percentage I think is at around 23%.

Lobster

Banned
endlessflood said:
If you
don't kill him, you get some random missions off him later. But they don't count towards 100% completion, they're just curios.

Oh k.

Would do it again second time through :lol

Struct09

chubigans said:

Playing the 360 version here, and the rumble is definitely not weak. I notice it a lot.

Jirotrom

bathala said:
I just met
Eddie Low
i'm guessing he's the serial killer.
is there a map that shows his locations to meet?
yes... you have to search for it, its a scan of the strat guide.

He shoes up on the south west side of alderney at night... that guy is really fucked up.

This is not about freezing (my PS3 version has only ever froze once while loading the game)... but I need serious help on a mission.

For the mission "Pegorino's Pride", I am supposed to go up to the vantage point to oversee the meeting but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can get up to the vantage point. It seems as though the place is a room very high up on the building but I cannot find any ladders, doors, or anything else that lets me get up there. I have been walking around this building for well over 10 minutes and cannot figure out what to do.

How do I get up there?

Edit:
Shit, nevermind. :lol

LaneDS

Completed it this evening, first GTA I've played to completion (got to the end of GTA3 and Vice City only to just lost interest, and did about two thirds of SA). Was a little disappointed in the end but it was still a great game.

And multiplayer almost kills me with laughter, so regardless of my gripes with single player it was a worthwhile purchase. How much is there to do in the game after you've cleared it?

bathala

Banned
Jirotrom said:
yes... you have to search for it, its a scan of the strat guide.

He shoes up on the south west side of alderney at night... that guy is really fucked up.
west side of alderney got it. thanks

i wanna kill this guy

Wizpig

"That Special Someone"...

Read below only if you already did this mission.

I... decided to let him live.
Yeah.

I chose to let him live :(
Damn, it wasn't easy at all to decide what to do.
Just tell me i did the right thing GAF, please. Oh god. :lol

:(

Wizpig

Oh, i wanted to ask one more thing.
Now that i finished "That Special Someone" should i save in a double slot to see both endings or what?
Am i too late?
Can i still do it?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
MrCompletely said:
I turned auto-aim off within the first few hours of the game and never looked back... substantially increased the enjoyment for me, I really like playing it tactically and using the cover system.
yeah I'm going to keep trying to play without auto-aim. It does make things more tactical. With auto aim shooting is far too easy. Doing it without auto-aim feels like more of an accomplishment.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Wizpig said:
What was your most long Session of GTA 4 guys?
Mine was almost 5 hours straight, today :lol
A little over 2 hours.

I would play for longer, but I dont have the time.

Laurent

endlessflood said:
Apparently, every time there is thunder in Liberty City they simultaneously experience an earthquake that measures 9.2 on the Richter scale.

If you want to see if your rumble is working, wait for a thunder storm. The rumble is ridiculous (in a bad way).

Edit: push the PS button and make sure that the Vibration function is ON for your controller. But it's true that the vibration is weak in GTA IV for the most part (the massive exception being thunder, WTF?)
Yeah, the rumble on the PS Option Menu is active, and in GTA4's Game Menu as well. Is this the same on X360, or is it only weird because of the DualShock 3 "extra sensible rumbling OMG"?

Tobor

endlessflood said:

You guys will bitch about literally anything. I love the way the thunder rumbles.

womfalcs3

Banned
Wait. Driving into a hamburger stand causes an explosion?

I was just driving along and lost control in a car I had just stolen. That was the only culprit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Completing some of the Most Wanted targets last night really stressed some issues of the storyline missions for me. This is what happened: I had to chase two hummers to kill a target and in 2 attempts, it didn't work out. What I then did felt pretty awesome: I drove my police car to the exact point where the targets would show up. I get out, quickly select RPG and as these hummers come out of the opposite direction, getting ready to sandwich me, I shove a rocket into the first Hummer's face, making the other one burn from the chain reaction, forcing the targets out, after which I finished the burning corpses to be with bullets.

It just felt so good to be given the freedom in these missions to do whatever the fuck you want. Once a red arrow is placed above the cars, anything goes. In another MW chase mission I shot the biker within the first 10 seconds of his escape, feels good.

This stresses again what was so bad about those scripted chases in the main story: the game gives you the option to kill your enemies in a drive by fashion, but ONLY after they shove a scripted 'aint this awesome' moment down your throat, as in No Way on the Subway.
I know they wanted the missions to have a little length, but let the player who's experienced in driving 'n' shooting at least have his way.

I don't know, suddenly I just realized that all the chase missions in the MW list were WAY more fun than those in the main game.

rhino4evr

Darunia said:
Completing some of the Most Wanted targets last night really stressed some issues of the storyline missions for me. This is what happened: I had to chase two hummers to kill a target and in 2 attempts, it didn't work out. What I then did felt pretty awesome: I drove my police car to the exact point where the targets would show up. I get out, quickly select RPG and as these hummers come out of the opposite direction, getting ready to sandwich me, I shove a rocket into the first Hummer's face, making the other one burn from the chain reaction, forcing the targets out, after which I finished the burning corpses to be with bullets.

It just felt so good to be given the freedom in these missions to do whatever the fuck you want. Once a red arrow is placed above the cars, anything goes. In another MW chase mission I shot the biker within the first 10 seconds of his escape, feels good.

This stresses again what was so bad about those scripted chases in the main story: the game gives you the option to kill your enemies in a drive by fashion, but ONLY after they shove a scripted 'aint this awesome' moment down your throat, as in No Way on the Subway.
I know they wanted the missions to have a little length, but let the player who's experienced in driving 'n' shooting at least have his way.

I don't know, suddenly I just realized that all the chase missions in the MW list were WAY more fun than those in the main game.

I appreaciate the abilty to do what you want, but I thought the scirpted chase missions were a ton of fun. If they weren't scripted the game wouldn't have nearly enough memorable moments. If they let you kill people quickly, every chase would be exactly the same.

voltron

So if I was to replay the whole story just to get in at under 30hrs would that be crazy? Im not too bothered about achievements like that if I miss them usually but this one I really want for some reason.

Twig

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I appreaciate the abilty to do what you want, but I thought the scirpted chase missions were a ton of fun. If they weren't scripted the game wouldn't have nearly enough memorable moments. If they let you kill people quickly, every chase would be exactly the same.
Personally, the msot memorable moments for me were missions like Snow whatever
in the hospital, for Elizibeta
and especially Three Leaf Clover.

I would pay for DLC if it meant more awesome missions like Three Leaf Clover. If it means more scripted chase scenes? No thank you. \:

Also, GTA needs fucking checkpoints. Posthaste! It would've made the final mission so much more tolerable.

And, obviously, I finally beat the story mode. Woo. Now I don't have to worry about my GAF-habit of automatically highlighting spoilers, since so many people don't use the tags properly. D:<

Tobor

voltron said:
So if I was to replay the whole story just to get in at under 30hrs would that be crazy? Im not too bothered about achievements like that if I miss them usually but this one I really want for some reason.

I'm going to do it. I still need to finish up my first play through, but eventually I'll run through it again speed style.

voltron

Tobor said:
I'm going to do it. I still need to finish up my first play through, but eventually I'll run through it again speed style.

Yeah I havent finished my first yet either.

man I cant believe how great things this game has going for it. Im still awed whenever I cross the main bridge and see the skyline and the buildings. Certain times on a HDTV this games looks quite simply phenomenal. Absolutely stunning.

Won

rhino4evr said:

The stats screen shows me 94 mission. Amount of really memorable missions? For me probably somewhere in the single digit range. Especially after the Most Wanted missions. Just way more fun seeing your targets jumping out a burning car and just watch them till they finally burned to death.
There is no reason to not have scripted and non-scripted stuff in the story missions.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
The stats screen shows me 94 mission. Amount of really memorable missions? For me probably somewhere in the single digit range. Especially after the Most Wanted missions. Just way more fun seeing your targets jumping out a burning car and just watch them till they finally burned to death.
There is no reason to not have scripted and non-scripted stuff in the story missions.
Yeah. The chase missions were my least favorite. As cool as it was to drive
through the subway
, it was incredibly frustrating and annoying to be shooting at the driver and him not dying. Especially
when you can so easily kill his partner mere seconds from the start

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wizpig said:
What was your most long Session of GTA 4 guys?
Mine was almost 5 hours straight, today :lol

Mine's somewhere around 8 and 1/2 hours. Was either launch night or on the weekend following it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
psycho_snake said:

I love having achievements. Its gives you that little extra incentive to play the game once you've finished the main story.

There's rumors of trophy support in the PS3 version though. We'll find out next month what the deal is.

DeadGzuz

Banned
psycho_snake said:

I love having achievements. Its gives you that little extra incentive to play the game once you've finished the main story.

I let this thing called fun dictate how much I play a game. You play a game to get points/back pats rather than play something else you would enjoy more?

Wizpig

So guys, without telling me the actual ENDING OF THE GAME, tell me what's in your opinion the best ending.
What i mean is: what do you need to do to "achieve" the best ending.
Kill Dimitri or do the deal with him?

DeadGzuz said:
I let this thing called fun dictate how much I play a game. You play a game to get points/back pats rather than play something else you would enjoy more?

I let this thing called other people dictate how I should play a game what I should enjoy about it. You play a game to get satisfaction from your own sense of fun rather than blindly follow the contrary opinion of a message board poster?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wizpig said:
So guys, without telling me the actual ENDING OF THE GAME, tell me what's in your opinion the best ending.

Listen to your heart.
I chose Revenge

ultimately there is no superior or inferior ending...

Barrett2

Just finished the game. Now comes the exploration and true fucking around; pigeons and most wanted criminals are next!

56 hours
80%

Barrett2

chubigans said:
There's rumors of trophy support in the PS3 version though. We'll find out next month what the deal is.

Would the trophies be retroactive at all? There is no way I would play most of my old games again to get the trophies. If they showed up based on my saved game data, however, that would be nice.

Tobor

DeadGzuz said:

Some people have fun getting the achievements.

It's called personal opinion.

Jim

Laurent said:

Set your cellphone to ring/vibrate.

I can't tell you how many times I've started up GTA4, walked out of the room for a moment but left the DS3 on a table or something, then get the shit scared out of me when Niko gets a call and the DS3 vibrates around the table and falls off.

They certainly don't overuse it, but it's there.

Won

Finished up all the stunts and I'm now at 92,5% and have no idea how the stuff that I still have to do sum up to 100%. Will be interesting.

Oh and social club finally catched up a bit and shows my progress at 65%. Storygang unlocked! Yeah a leaderboard! Worth it!

burgerdog

Wizpig said:

I would say
Kill Dimitri.

Won said:
Finished up all the stunts and I'm now at 92,5% and have no idea how the stuff that I still have to do sum up to 100%. Will be interesting.

Oh and social club finally catched up a bit and shows my progress at 65%. Storygang unlocked! Yeah a leaderboard! Worth it!

TELL US ABOUT THE PLANE TICKET!!

;D

Top Bottom