• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Smokey

This is making me mad. I'm going after the Under the Radar achievement where you have to fly under all bridges over water. I've done all of them and now I'm at the last one(if you look on a map it's Plumbers Skyway) and the game even popped with a trophy over the bridge like all the previous so that I knew where to go. Well hell I'm here and I've flown under this fucker 7 times and nothing. I've blown up the map to make sure I'm flying over the part that crosses water(It's the freeway that connects Alderney to the area where the jail is).

What am I doing wrong :/

AirBrian

raYne said:
Yep. I immediately went all the way back to my hideout and changed though.

..:lol
Yeah, I did too. The shirt really didn't go well with my suit pants and wingtips. :lol

EDIT: That's weird, Smokey. I actually did this last night and didn't have any problems. What map has the trophy icon? The mini-map in the corner or the full start-menu map? I used the start-menu map and I never saw any icons. I guess I never noticed it on the mini-map.

raYne

Smokey Bones said:
This is making me mad. I'm going after the Under the Radar achievement where you have to fly under all bridges over water. I've done all of them and now I'm at the last one(if you look on a map it's Plumbers Skyway) and the game even popped with a trophy over the bridge like all the previous so that I knew where to go. Well hell I'm here and I've flown under this fucker 7 times and nothing. I've blown up the map to make sure I'm flying over the part that crosses water(It's the freeway that connects Alderney to the area where the jail is).

Are you flying over the water itself? Pretty sure that's a requirement.

AirBrian said:
Yeah, I did too. The shirt really didn't go well with my suit pants and wingtips. :lol

EDIT: That's weird, Smokey. I actually did this last night and didn't have any problems. What map has the trophy icon? The mini-map in the corner or the full start-menu map? I used the start-menu map and I never saw any icons. I guess I never noticed it on the mini-map.
The start menu map. The icons only pop up right after you fly under a bridge (highlighting the rest) and only last a limited time.

Smokey

raYne said:
Are you flying over the water itself? Pretty sure that's a requirement.

The start menu map. The icons only pop up right after you fly under a bridge (highlighting the rest) and only last a limited time.

Yeah I'm flying over the water.

:/

Smokey

raYne said:
Err.. are you sure it's the right bridge?

Joking.. :/

I dunno I'm frustrated now so I just turned the game off. I have the strat guide next to me and I just flew under every freakin bridge again and it's not registering for me. I started at Alderney and went from there and nope nothing.

Tuvoc

AirBrian said:
Has anyone else found the Happiness Island t-shirt? :lol This game just keeps on giving.

yeah, and it fucked up my nice suit. I tried to change to get rid of it but now it's stuck. Now I have to get a new suit.

raYne

Tuvoc said:
yeah, and it fucked up my nice suit. I tried to change to get rid of it but now it's stuck. Now I have to get a new suit.
What? :lol

Jirotrom said:
guys... i fed my Lamborghini to the fishes during an idiot move in a race... any idea where to get another:D
I don't think anyone's found a spawn location. It seems to not even have one at all. So you may be screwed.

Perhaps a reload is in order?

Jirotrom

raYne said:
What? :lol

I don't think anyone's found a spawn location. It seems to not even have one at all. So you may be screwed.

Perhaps a reload is in order?
shit... that sucks... too late for that now....:(

Wizpig

So guys, i can take missions from
Phil Bell, Gambetti and Jimmy Pegorino... oh and that Assassin guy, but i think he's not part of the main story
I'm at 58.86% of the game.
How much am i far from the ending?
Thanks.

raYne

Jirotrom said:
shit... that sucks... too late for that now....:(
Well, you could hope that you come across one during one of the racing missions. Then you could kill the driver before the race and take it from him.

Jirotrom

raYne said:
Well, you could hope that you come across one during one of the racing missions. Then you could kill the driver before the race and take it from him.
thats what i was thinking of since i noticed before a race lots of nice cars pop up.

Jirotrom

Tuvoc said:
I had on the black suit w/ the open collar but the happiness island shirt is now the top for that suit. I can't change it. So now I have to get a whole new suit :mad:
just reset the game, everytime i do that it gets rid of the glitches.

raYne

Tuvoc said:
I had on the black suit w/ the open collar but the happiness island shirt is now the top for that suit. I can't change it. So now I have to get a whole new suit :mad:
I understand it replacing the top of what you're wearing since it does the same to everyone, but having to replace the whole suit is one weird glitch.

Probably has something to do with th suits top and bottoms being tied together. *shrugs*

sennin

Jirotrom said:
thats what i was thinking of since i noticed before a race lots of nice cars pop up.

You have 2 chances to get an Infernus (Lamborghini in GTA IV) as a guaranteed spawn.

i.) completing Bernie's missions
ii.) stealing one during Stevie's car thefts. It will only spawn when he sends you the MMS detailing the Infernus he wants, and you can then jack the clones off the roads.

Brucie's races are a crapshoot, since the spawns are random. At times, you will see a nice lineup of sports cars; others you will see the low~mid tier range of cars. The good news is races aren't one chance events. ^

Jirotrom

sennin said:
You have 2 chances to get an Infernus (Lamborghini in GTA IV) as a guaranteed spawn.

i.) completing Bernie's missions
ii.) stealing one during Stevie's car thefts. It will only spawn when he sends you the MMS detailing the Infernus he wants, and you can then jack the clones off the roads.

Brucie's races are a crapshoot, since the spawns are random. At times, you will see a nice lineup of sports cars; others you will see the low~mid tier range of cars. The good news is races aren't one chance events. ^
its too late for those... ive done bernies and ive also finished the text missions... im trying to 100%

Smokey Bones said:

If you still need to fly under the westernmost bridge, you have to fly under the bridge supports, instead of where the water flows.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've tried playing the game with auto aim off and I've now given up trying. My aiming and co-ordination is so bad.

I'm usually ok at shooting games, but I'm just not getting the hang of GTAIV without autoaim. I reckon if I learned how to play the game without auto-aim from the start, I'd be fine, but now that I'm about half way through, its pretty hard since the missions are starting to get tough.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
ElyrionX said:
Because you will get tired of all the repetitive driving when you're retrying missions. Taxis bring you to your destination instantly after about 5 seconds of loading. In the last 40% of the game, I used taxis 90% of the time for getting around. Don't worry about money, you'll never run out.
yeah I tried this as soon as you mentioned that taxi's can be your best friends. It really makes redoing missions a lot less stressful because I can just get into a taxi and get to my destination rather than spend 10 minutes getting from one side of the map to the other.

j-wood

You know, I think that GTA4 is using the PS3 memory to the max. When you press the PS button, is it often really slow and laggy for anyone else? It's like it takes a second for it to process and catch up. I have a theory that if in the next firmware, Sony cuts down again on the memory usage of the XMB, the performance of GTA will improve (not that I'm saying it's bad, but that it will get better than it already is).

Didn't IGN and Gamespot do a more substantial game guide for previous GTA games? It seems like they are either taking their sweet time making one, or they are just passing the baton over to gamefaq. I can't tell the diff.

I'm not talking about a full-on walkthrough; I'm more specifically talking about maps for each pigeon location, jump, package, ect.

Oni Jazar

j-wood said:
You know, I think that GTA4 is using the PS3 memory to the max. When you press the PS button, is it often really slow and laggy for anyone else? It's like it takes a second for it to process and catch up. I have a theory that if in the next firmware, Sony cuts down again on the memory usage of the XMB, the performance of GTA will improve (not that I'm saying it's bad, but that it will get better than it already is).

Unlikely. The game was programmed to use as much RAM as it currently has. If more is freed up, the game won't use it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After all the Stevie car hoarding, I'm officially a millionaire. Now on to the most wanted list.

Fascination by Bowie <3

Laurent

Question, was the reference to the Scarface movie intended by Rockstar as a working subtitle, and was removed just before release?

psycho_snake said:
I've tried playing the game with auto aim off and I've now given up trying. My aiming and co-ordination is so bad.

I'm usually ok at shooting games, but I'm just not getting the hang of GTAIV without autoaim. I reckon if I learned how to play the game without auto-aim from the start, I'd be fine, but now that I'm about half way through, its pretty hard since the missions are starting to get tough.

I turned auto-aim off within the first few hours of the game and never looked back... substantially increased the enjoyment for me, I really like playing it tactically and using the cover system.

raYne

Darunia said:
After all the Stevie car hoarding, I'm officially a millionaire. Now on to the most wanted list.

Fascination by Bowie <3
It's a shame you can't actually do anything with the money you earn throughout the game. Since after you complete Stevie's list, you can bring any car there and get more money from him. Basically grabbing vehicles from right outside the shop and backing it in for cash.

To really max it out, you could do what I did and park your exotic car at your Bohan hideout. Drive it around the block so more copies spawn. Then re-park it and take to duplicate to him. $11,000+ a pop. :lol

Laurent said:
Question, was the reference to the Scarface movie intended by Rockstar as a working subtitle, and was removed just before release?
Nope. Usual GAF thread subtitle fare.

JB1981

I am absolutely loving it. But I haven't played nearly as much as some of you. I play it in short spurts, 'cause i really don't have the time ...

Twig

Banned
Himuro said:
So...am I the only one who still likes this game or is everyone else on the backlash wagon now?
Oh yes because you're automagically on a bandwagon because you don't like something about the game. \:

I have played 45 hours and plan to continue playing. Most games I give up on after about twenty or twenty-five. I think that should answer your question.

Struct09

AirBrian said:
Has anyone else found the Happiness Island t-shirt? :lol This game just keeps on giving.

I got it when I was pigeon hunting on Happiness Island. IMO, those were the most fun pigeons to shoot down.

rhino4evr

it's definitely the best GTA game hands down. and one of the best games to come out this generation. I think it still has a few problems that need to be fixed. Like over-complex controls and mission repetiveness. The lack of checkpoint system on some missions is also a bit of a problem. Overall though, I think it's really amazing what Rockstar has created here. I'm looking forward to the DLC, and future installments.

PS - I never liked the GTA franchise.

raYne

Himuro said:
So...am I the only one who still likes this game or is everyone else on the backlash wagon now?
See the "what you don't like about it" thread.

I still like it, but with all the lack of variety, invincible enemy chase missions with their preset conclusions, basic lack of things to do and a lot of issues that I don't feel like going over again, a 10 this game is not.

Just did the other ending, which made the first one I did look like shit for a few reasons.
Dimitri is a much better villain. Having the final encounter with him was much more exciting than having it with Pegerrino, who suddenly became a bad guy out of nowhere. That was stupid. Also, having Roman die was much more tragic since, you know, Roman actually mattered. Kate was a crappy character. She was an annoying prude who barely came up at all. Basically, the ending where Roman dies has both a villain and victim I care about, rather than one I couldn't give a shit about. Still, I plan to keep my other save as my main one because I'd much rather have Kate dead than Roman.

raYne

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Just did the other ending, which made the first one I did look like shit for a few reasons.
Dimitri is a much better villain. Having the final encounter with him was much more exciting than having it with Pegerrino, who suddenly became a bad guy out of nowhere. That was stupid. Also, having Roman die was much more tragic since, you know, Roman actually mattered. Kate was a crappy character. She was an annoying prude who barely came up at all. Basically, the ending where Roman dies has both a villain and victim I care about, rather than one I couldn't give a shit about. Still, I plan to keep my other save as my main one because I'd much rather have Kate dead than Roman.
Prepare for a surprise..

:lol

Top Bottom