• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am playing Snow Storm, and when I reached the Old Hospital the FPS dropped to less than 10 I swear. It was nigh unplayable, but somehow I made it. Then the police raided the place and killed me. How the fuck am I supposed to escape?

rhino4evr

Relix said:
I am playing Snow Storm, and when I reached the Old Hospital the FPS dropped to less than 10 I swear. It was nigh unplayable, but somehow I made it. Then the police raided the place and killed me. How the fuck am I supposed to escape?

run.

also I didn't do this but

there is supposed to be a boat in the water, that you can swim to making escape easy

derder

I'm at almost 90% at 31 hours. The trick is to use a taxi to "teleport" yourself everywhere.

Hail a taxi
Mark your destination
Hold Y
Double Tap A

I'm a pretty good driver, but I just hate how easy it is to nudge cops (and how long it takes to lose them). I didn't start using this method until about 20 hours in. I'm sure I could finish the main story in under 15 this way.

Does anyone else wish there was an unlockable hard mode at 100%?
I.E. no:
target indicators,
autoaim,
gps,
increased enemy damage, and
radar outside of the car.

rhino4evr

derder said:
I'm at almost 90% at 31 hours. The trick is to use a taxi to "teleport" yourself everywhere.

Hail a taxi
Mark your destination
Hold Y
Double Tap A

I'm a pretty good driver, but I just hate how easy it is to nudge cops (and how long it takes to lose them). I didn't start using this method until about 20 hours in. I'm sure I could finish the main story in under 15 this way.

Does anyone else wish there was an unlockable hard mode at 100%?
I.E. no:
target indicators,
autoaim,
gps,
increased enemy damage, and
radar outside of the car.

a few of those you can do yourself. you can turn auto-aim and GPS off.

PS - I taxi everywhere even on dates. Most missions, I just taxi to my next location. a lot of times you don't need to drive to your first location. ALSO. If you call Roman a lot of times you can avoid the entire (loose your Wanted Level) part of the mission. For example, on the Museum mission I used it instead of escaping by car and being chased by baddies. It's cheap, but it works.

derder

rhino4evr said:
a few of those you can do yourself. you can turn auto-aim and GPS off.

PS - I taxi everywhere even on dates. Most missions, I just taxi to my next location. a lot of times you don't need to drive to your first location. ALSO. If you call Roman a lot of times you can avoid the entire (loose your Wanted Level) part of the mission. For example, on the Museum mission I used it instead of escaping by car and being chased by baddies. It's cheap, but it works.

Oh damn, I'll give this a shot after I 100%. Thanks, man.

neoism

so 100% guys got a question. Do you have to do all activities with little Jacob, Packie and Brucie in full or can you skip them!(you know go their and leave/quit early) because I haven't done any kind of dates in a while and I don't know which ones I've done in full so!

Wizpig

Hey Gaf, so i finished the game - twice, yet i still have to unlock these:

immagine1au0.png

How is it possible that i still have to meet "random characters"?
Who ARE the "random characters"?

Won

neoism said:
so 100% guys got a question. Do you have to do all activities with little Jacob, Packie and Brucie in full or can you skip them!(you know go their and leave/quit early) because I haven't done any kind of dates in a while and I don't know which ones I've done in full so!

Only skipped a show (sorry can't stand the "singing" woman), but it did count.
Don't know about the others, but as long you drive your friend home alive you should be fine.

rc213

When you finish the game can you continue on with finishing off all the leftovers til you get to 100% or Do I need to get 100% before I finish the game.

G-Bus

Banned
Wizpig said:

immagine1au0.png

Just a guess, but the random characters could be the ones you meet on the street. I was walking around star junction, all of a sudden the camera started to focus on some guy standing on the side walk, I walked up to him and got a mission.

TTG

Wizpig said:

immagine1au0.png

The first one I got without even trying. The idea is to take out all of your friends and do atleast a couple of jobs for each of them. In the stats menu you should have 2 barometers of how much they like and respect you. Once you get up to 80% you will get a call telling you they like you enough to offer services. That's where I stopped although the stats will continue to go up as you do real missions with them. When I got the achievement I know for sure that not all of the friends were up to 90%, maybe it means that you once had a 90% or higher rating with all of them.

The second one, I'm guessing, is for doing all the missions with the characters you see in the world. They will show up as green guys on the map...

TTG

Relix said:

Next to the final mission, that's the one I had to retry the most. Probably because it was early in the game, but whatever.

Just remember that the armoured police DON'T spawn somewhere outside the house/hospital. Take your time, shoot them from behind cover. It shouldn't be too hard as you can't really get flanked, nobody is gonna sneak up on you.

What's funny is that there's a ladder at the back of the building to get in and get a jump on the drug dealers inside, but you can't climb out of it to escape from the police. :(

kylej

Banned
How the heck do people have such a hard time with Snow Storm? Before you grab the drugs, go into the next room over and replenish your health. When Noose runs into the house pop a few of them that are standing in your way and hop into the pickup truck right outside. Then you just have to get out of a 2 star circle which is easy.

raYne

Won said:
Only skipped a show (sorry can't stand the "singing" woman), but it did count.
Don't know about the others, but as long you drive your friend home alive you should be fine.
Coincidentally, I always skipped her are well. :lol

I think I sat through one, just to see how it was, and skipped it eve since.

Won

Wizpig said:
Thanks guys, but WTF, in my 50+ hours of GTA 4 i NEVER had a Random encounter.

Weird. I found them all without a guide in my 60 hours. Exploring the city and all ya know.

That reminds me: Are there any other easter eggs like the "heart of happiness"?

womfalcs3

Banned
Wizpig said:
Thanks guys, but WTF, in my 50+ hours of GTA 4 i NEVER had a Random encounter.

Their radar icons aren't very effective in grasping one's attention. I'm sure I've missed many as I focus on the road while driving.

womfalcs3 said:
Their radar icons aren't very effective in grasping one's attention. I'm sure I've missed many as I focus on the road while driving.

I sort of like it. They are so subtle you could easily play the game and not get any but I kind of like that in a sense...

Although maybe forcing the first one would have better let the user know they exist.

neoism

Please don't tell me I'm fucked. I was looking at my stats, trying to get LJ, Brucie, and Packie like for 100% and I noticed that romans mission progress is only 73% and Vlads is 100% is that possible. I remember doing all romans missions, I just unlocked Bernie's missions, please tell me Roman has more mission late in the game.

Won

neoism said:
Please don't tell me I'm fucked. I was looking at my stats, trying to get LJ, Brucie, and Packie like for 100% and I noticed that romans mission progress is only 73% and Vlads is 100% is that possible. I remember doing all romans missions, I just unlocked Bernie's missions, please tell me Roman has more mission late in the game.

There is nothing that can prevent you from getting 100%.

elseanio

Quick question. Social Club usually takes like 2 days to update my stats. Does this mean I need to get 100% by 17th to be updated on the site by the 19th, or will the Social Club somehow know what date I got to 100%?

womfalcs3

Banned
neoism said:

I'm where you are right now in terms of Roman's mission progress... so I'm sure he has more to come. He's had missions spread out throughout the game.
Like the one where you had to save him from Dimitri's men in the warehouse.
His missions are not in one sequence.

Won

PirateSean said:
Quick question. Social Club usually takes like 2 days to update my stats. Does this mean I need to get 100% by 17th to be updated on the site by the 19th, or will the Social Club somehow know what date I got to 100%?

Social Club will know when it happened. At least it does know with my "story complete".
But (very big but here) I think the rules state, that you not only need to have 100%, but you also need access to the 100% area on the side.
Considering how R* handles the club and all community things so far nothing can be said for sure. I think the whole extend thing was because of the slow update in first place.

Dartastic

Why are the final missions not showing up for me yet? I've done every mission except the assassin missions. Are they part of the main quest line?

Edit - Nevermind.

Re-Edit -
So. I can now choose between "revenge" and "money". Is this the branching part for the endings? Or was that earlier when I killed Darko?

Went through and finished up the rest of the Assassin missions and all of the Police Most Wanted missions. They were pretty fun. Was chasing one convict through the train station, he tried to run across the tracks, but got t-boned by a train half way over, completing the mission for me :lol

Good times

test_account

XP-39C²
SPOILER WARNING!

How do you
reach Little Jacob's helicopter in the mission where you have to chase Dimitri? It says i have to jump on the helicopter, but i cant reach it. I've driven the boat at full speed towards the helicopter, but Little Jacobs just flies away before i can reach it and i fail the mission. I've tried several of times, but i cant reach that helicopter. Is there something that i'm not doing right or is this a in-game bug?
Please use spoiler tags when answering, but please dont spoil anything on what will happend next or anything. Thanks :)

raYne

Choc said:
Are they always there or do i have to hang around the area and wait for them?
No, they only come at certain times.

test_account said:
SPOILER WARNING!

How do you
reach Little Jacob's helicopter in the mission where you have to chase Dimitri? It says i have to jump on the helicopter, but i cant reach it. I've driven the boat at full speed towards the helicopter, but Little Jacobs just flies away before i can reach it and i fail the mission. I've tried several of times, but i cant reach that helicopter. Is there something that i'm not doing right or is this a in-game bug?
Please use spoiler tags when answering, but please dont spoil anything on what will happend next or anything. Thanks :)
There's a yellow marker in the water and you have to drive into it.

That said, people have had trouble with that same mission (not me though lolers), so you're not alone.

test_account said:
SPOILER WARNING!

How do you

I failed twice.
you just have to get right the fuck underneath- stay as close to dmitri's chopper as you can, and pray that he doesn't get lucky with one of his rockets. getting close enough initiates a cutscene...

elseanio

test_account said:
SPOILER WARNING!

How do you

Had this problem too. Holding back on the left analog all the way seemed to get me there a lot faster, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
raYne said:
There's a yellow marker in the water and you have to drive into it.

That said, people have had trouble with that same mission (not me though lolers), so you're not alone.
Ye, i saw the yellow marker, but i still couldnt reach it :( Hehe. Its "good" to hear that i'm not the only one who has problem with that mission, i mean, it would sux if it was some random bug in the game that did it, but if more people have the problem then its most likely thats the way the mission is made, to make it hard to reach the marker. I will try some more, thanks for the help! :)

notjackbauer said:
I failed twice.
you just have to get right the fuck underneath- stay as close to dmitri's chopper as you can, and pray that he doesn't get lucky with one of his rockets. getting close enough initiates a cutscene...
Ah ok, i will try some more times and hopefully i will make it. Thanks for the help! :)

PirateSean said:
Had this problem too. Holding back on the left analog all the way seemed to get me there a lot faster, though.
Ah, holding the left analog stick back makes the boat go faster? I was holding it forwards. I will try to hold it backwards and see if i can get to the marker faster. Thanks for the help! :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Which Mission should I be saving before in order to ensure I can get both endings? What is the choice in deciding if I get the desired ending?

Top Bottom