• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Can someone take a pic of the pit of death. I tried searching around the yellow dot near your safehouse but couldn't find the pit to push people into.

dkeane

acevans2 said:
I'm kinda behind the times now, but school ended and I had to get home and start working and all that jazz...

Final Mission (?) Question:

I'm chasing Peregrino as he's on a boat and I'm on a bike... I've attempted this 3 times, and it's very unclear what the goal is here. It says to accelerate off the jetty to jump. So, the first time I do it, I go flying way in front of him, bike destroyed, mission failed. The second time I do it I wait a little while and jump. That time, I hit the water a ways behind him, bike destroyed, mission failed. Third time I try it: I do it at about the same point as the second one, but this time Nico goes into a flip on the bike, but I still hit the water behind him and it's mission failed. What the hell is supposed to happen here? I don't want to try again if I don't know what I'm doing, because even though you don't do the highway chase, shooting through all the thugs is tedious. Help?
You're going off the ramp with the big yellow arrows right? As long as you have some speed it should go into a cutscene as you go off the end of the ramp.

Recoil

Rez>You said:
Whoa whoa,
kill Dwayne and you get nothing but some cash, kill PB and you get a safehouse AND backup.

Yeah, hold up, BakedPigeon this is pretty important.

Besides that, Dwayne is still the right choice to side with (ie, Killing PBX). -- Kill Dwayne, and PBX acts like a douche to you, and blames you for it. He also gives you very little cash.

Kill PBX, and Dwayne is VERY anguished about it. He really didn't like that it had to happened, and as stated, you get PBX's mansion, and Dwayne becomes your friend and you get backup from him.

Also remember: Who called the hit first? It was PBX. Dwayne was only reacting in defense.

Recoil

acevans2 said:
I'm kinda behind the times now, but school ended and I had to get home and start working and all that jazz...

Final Mission (?) Question:

I'm chasing Peregrino as he's on a boat and I'm on a bike... I've attempted this 3 times, and it's very unclear what the goal is here. It says to accelerate off the jetty to jump. So, the first time I do it, I go flying way in front of him, bike destroyed, mission failed. The second time I do it I wait a little while and jump. That time, I hit the water a ways behind him, bike destroyed, mission failed. Third time I try it: I do it at about the same point as the second one, but this time Nico goes into a flip on the bike, but I still hit the water behind him and it's mission failed. What the hell is supposed to happen here? I don't want to try again if I don't know what I'm doing, because even though you don't do the highway chase, shooting through all the thugs is tedious. Help?

There's a jump ramp with a yellow marker, you should be hitting it. You're jumping into the helicopter, not the boat.

MrHicks

Banned
ok im at the last mission and i STILL don't notice what going on a date with someone does?

i go hang out with brucie and lil jacob a few times but at the end of the mission i just get a 'thumbs up" icon indicating they like me more but what does it do?

can some of you alpha males tell me how this works:lol

womfalcs3

Banned
Got 100% today. My first 100% in a GTA game... and unlike the previous installments, I didn't use a single cheat in this game. It's a lot easier to get 100% in this one. The cop evasion system allows for a easier gameplay. I feel there wasn't as much to do though.

This one had the best story, by far, but III trough San Andreas had much better atmospheres. It felt great just messing around in them. Here I don't feel that. I just want to do what's asked of me and get it over with.

Saw the heart of the Statue of Happiness today too. Very nice. Not the easiest place to get to as you have to fall from a helicopter, but it's cool.

Lo-Volt

rhino4evr said:
just finished it.

can we talk about the last mission?

What is the consensus here on the better ending?

I got Kate killed, who cares?
so my punishment was
riding that stupid motorbike on the beach
. I just read what happens if you go the other route, and I think that's the better ending. Much more relevance to the overall story, and no
motorbikes
. I think I'll re-load an old save and give it a shot.

I sincerely regret the choice I made in this game.
And it was predictable for me to have Niko go after Dmitri instead of seek the deal, like I listened to the devil on Niko's shoulder at the wrong moment, and it got me nothing real in return. But the premise behind either choice was bound to cause heartache; either I make a deal and possibly get heroin on the streets of this digital city or I allow Niko to descend into violence. I feel I made the same fundamental mistake when deciding to kill Dwayne. I thought PBX was a bastard, but I also felt that his argument made the most sense. I felt the same way after listening to Kate and seeing what happened afterwards, though having Roman die is hardly desirable either. Accepting the premise as it's given is never a good idea.

I think the worst part of that ending is how broken up Packie sounds when he calls you (assuming you didn't turn the game off at the credits). I really ended up liking Packie more than the other supporting characters, and listening to him call made me cringe knowing I had done that, so to speak.
I thought about replaying the game (oops, my dumb ass never made an alternate save, come laugh at me!), but I don't have the energy to go through the game again to earn the other option.

After the credits, I got two phone calls; one from Packie and the other from Roman trying to console me. Is that all there is in terms of post-credit action?

Kittonwy

Banned
Struct09 said:

Dayum son dat shit iz fucked up.
Indifferent2.gif

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I know I'm LTTP on this one, but Three Leaf Clover was O_O
Really Good Mission

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Need help with one of Derrick's missions:

It's the mission where you have to drive that police truck carrying his friend to safety. How in the hell do you escape the police? The thing is so damn slow.

raYne

Guts Of Thor said:

It's the mission where you have to drive that police truck carrying his friend to safety. How in the hell do you escape the police? The thing is so damn slow.
There's no trick to it.. just do the same thing you do normally. Drive down one way streets, ram stuff out of the way, go in a straight line rather than in a circular pattern so you leave the search area faster etc.

Guts Of Thor said:

I posted some tips earlier in the thread in reply to this same question. I'll quote myself again just in case you still need a little help:

Talladega Knight said:
Just squeeze your vehicle through the barrier you made (between the truck you parked and the wall of the tunnel). The barrier itself prevents the cops from getting through quickly. By the time I exited the tunnel I was out of the wanted level. I talked my friend through the exact same mission because he was having the same problem. It's unnecessary to have to be chased around the city by the cops when you can be out of the wanted level(s) before you exit the tunnel.

The Chef

Just beat the game last night - had a question

After a friend and I beat the last mission taking out the Pegorino guy and the music kicked in my friend asked "Whats with the epic music" and I joked "Watch - roll credits" and sure enough *roll credits*

Is this it? I waited till the game resumes and I got a few phone calls - one from Packie morning the loss of his sister and one from roman saying that he and mallorie are my family now. I am like 65% complete so is there any more story to complete or is that it?

Struct09

The Chef said:
Just beat the game last night - had a question

After a friend and I beat the last mission taking out the Pegorino guy and the music kicked in my friend asked "Whats with the epic music" and I joked "Watch - roll credits" and sure enough *roll credits*

Is this it? I waited till the game resumes and I got a few phone calls - one from Packie morning the loss of his sister and one from roman saying that he and mallorie are my family now. I am like 65% complete so is there any more story to complete or is that it?

That's it for the main story. From there on out, there's the side missions to complete.

The Chef

Struct09 said:
That's it for the main story. From there on out, there's the side missions to complete.

thanks

one other thing as to money in the game:

I have like $750k - what am i supposed to spend that on?? Its not like other GTAs where you can buy property or something so whats the point of all that cash?

Kydd BlaZe

Lo-Volt said:
I sincerely regret the choice I made in this game.
And it was predictable for me to have Niko go after Dmitri instead of seek the deal, like I listened to the devil on Niko's shoulder at the wrong moment, and it got me nothing real in return. But the premise behind either choice was bound to cause heartache; either I make a deal and possibly get heroin on the streets of this digital city or I allow Niko to descend into violence. I feel I made the same fundamental mistake when deciding to kill Dwayne. I thought PBX was a bastard, but I also felt that his argument made the most sense. I felt the same way after listening to Kate and seeing what happened afterwards, though having Roman die is hardly desirable either. Accepting the premise as it's given is never a good idea.

I think the worst part of that ending is how broken up Packie sounds when he calls you (assuming you didn't turn the game off at the credits). I really ended up liking Packie more than the other supporting characters, and listening to him call made me cringe knowing I had done that, so to speak.
I thought about replaying the game (oops, my dumb ass never made an alternate save, come laugh at me!), but I don't have the energy to go through the game again to earn the other option.

After the credits, I got two phone calls; one from Packie and the other from Roman trying to console me. Is that all there is in terms of post-credit action?
It's like im looking right into a mirror or something. You just described my feelings exactly...word for word. GTA IV definitely has some emotionally striking moments.

Twig

Banned
Man, I thought I was the only one who liked Packie. He didn't really fit in with the whole "Niko's trying not to be a bad guy!" nonsense at the beginning, but once that whole concept was shown to be the shit it was, Packie became one of my favorites. Brucie was good for laughs, but Packie was the only guy whose personality I actually liked.

Roman annoyed the piss out of me.

EDIT: Wait, I completely forgot about Little Jacob. The camaraderie between Jacob and Niko far excelled that of any other pairing in the game. I'm glad Jacob
was there in the last mission
, but I wish he had been much more prevalent throughout the entire game.

Oddly enough, it felt to me like Jacob and Kate were the only two people who actually understood what Niko wanted (definitely much more than Niko
the Bank Robber
himself, heh). Maybe I'm crazy, though.

The Chef

Im really trying to understand the ending.

Does anyone else feel totally unsatisfied? I feel like there was no reward what so ever for beating it. Was there even an ending at all? I mean, my god, I was hoping for a little more closure than:

Roman: Thats it cousin! We are free to make money now!"
Niko: Yes....I suppose thats true

*roll credits*

o_O

navanman said:
Can someone take a pic of the pit of death. I tried searching around the yellow dot near your safehouse but couldn't find the pit to push people into.
From your Bohan safe house, go to the NW corner of the block that lies to the NW. There's a whole long trench dug out along the corner, set back a little from the street, with a long 'mound' running along the edges of the trench and a few wooden safety picket things as well. There's a couple of big pipes running through the bottom of the trench as well. I find the best way to push people in is to stand on the corner and then you just need to time your push right :D

EDIT: Can somebody tell me where the skate ramps are? Maybe put a dot on that map that's floating around this thread? I want to re-enact the naked gun video if I can, pretty keen to try the skate ramps and rollercoaster :D

MrHicks said:
ok im at the last mission and i STILL don't notice what going on a date with someone does?

i go hang out with brucie and lil jacob a few times but at the end of the mission i just get a 'thumbs up" icon indicating they like me more but what does it do?

can some of you alpha males tell me how this works:lol
if you get thier like % high enough you get cheaper weapons, heli rides, car bombs ect...

raYne

endlessflood said:
EDIT: Can somebody tell me where the skate ramps are? Maybe put a dot on that map that's floating around this thread? I want to re-enact the naked gun video if I can, pretty keen to try the skate ramps and rollercoaster :D
There's more than one skate park, but the one you want is near a Bowling Alley and Burger Shot in Algonquin near the water. Should be easy enough to find on the start map since there's only one bowling alley in Algonquin if I recall.

raYne said:
There's more than one skate park, but the one you want is near a Bowling Alley and Burger Shot in Algonquin near the water. Should be easy enough to find on the start map since there's only one bowling alley in Algonquin if I recall.
Cheers raYne, I guess it must be somewhere near the golf course then.

I'm still not sure how to get a police car on the rollercoaster though :lol

Speaking of which, has anyone found a good way to use Packers (the car carrying trucks with ramps up their back) in GTA4? I'm thinking that you might be able to use a pointy car like an Infernus or Coquette as the stepping stone up to the start of the ramp. Anyone tried it?

raYne

endlessflood said:
Cheers raYne, I guess it must be somewhere near the golf course then.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

I'm still not sure how to get a police car on the rollercoaster though :lol
Hmm? I got a comet up there early in the game so that really shouldn't be an issue to do normally.

Speaking of which, has anyone found a good way to use Packers (the car carrying trucks with ramps up their back) in GTA4? I'm thinking that you might be able to use a pointy car like an Infernus or Coquette as the stepping stone up to the start of the ramp. Anyone tried it?
Never even tried. From just glancing at it while driving past, the ramp didn't look like it went close enough to the floor to take advantage of.

raYne said:
Hmm? I got a comet up there early in the game so that really shouldn't be an issue to do normally.
Dammit, why wasn't I informed of this possibility immediately?!! :lol

raYne said:
Never even tried. From just glancing at it while driving past, the ramp didn't look like it went close enough to the floor to take advantage of.
I mean reverse an Infernus or Coquette (any car with a low bonnet/hood) up to the bottom of the ramp. Then come flying at it in another car, hopefully sliding up the hood/bonnet and onto the bottom of the ramp. I think it might work. It might wipe off enough speed that it's not very useful as a stunt device, but at the very least it should allow access to areas that you wouldn't normally be able to take a car (or motorcycle) to.

raYne

endlessflood said:
Dammit, why wasn't I informed of this possibility immediately?!! :lol
Well, it's not all that exciting to drive around, so I never bothered to post it. :lol

endlessflood said:
I mean reverse an Infernus or Coquette (any car with a low bonnet/hood) up to the bottom of the ramp. Then come flying at it in another car, hopefully sliding up the hood/bonnet and onto the bottom of the ramp. I think it might work. It might wipe off enough speed that it's not very useful as a stunt device, but at the very least it should allow access to areas that you wouldn't normally be able to take a car (or motorcycle) to.
Oh, I know what you meant. I just saying that I never bothered to try and proceeded to ramble on about why that was. :lol

TheOneGuy said:
Man, I thought I was the only one who liked Packie. He didn't really fit in with the whole "Niko's trying not to be a bad guy!" nonsense at the beginning, but once that whole concept was shown to be the shit it was, Packie became one of my favorites. Brucie was good for laughs, but Packie was the only guy whose personality I actually liked.

Roman annoyed the piss out of me.

EDIT: Wait, I completely forgot about Little Jacob. The camaraderie between Jacob and Niko far excelled that of any other pairing in the game. I'm glad Jacob
was there in the last mission
, but I wish he had been much more prevalent throughout the entire game.

Oddly enough, it felt to me like Jacob and Kate were the only two people who actually understood what Niko wanted (definitely much more than Niko
the Bank Robber
himself, heh). Maybe I'm crazy, though.
I liked pretty much all of the characters. Kate just annoyed me though, all she did was whine and make snide remarks. How was that supposed to make Nico attracted to her? But outside of Jacob, my favourite character was Phil Bell. When I
crossed Pegorino
, I liked how Phil called me to say that he fully understood why I did it, and that although he
wouldn't be able to have dealings with me anymore
, it was nothing personal.

I have to say that I never felt any remorse for any of the characters that I whacked either, except in the choice between
Francis and Derrick. I cheated and when I heard that Francis could take some heat off you if you let him live, I capped Derrick. I know Francis was slimey, but I justified it to myself by saying that I felt sorry for Derrick, because he was so addled by drugs that he was never going to enjoy life again, and I was doing him a favour. Those scenes where Derrick is on the park bench I found pretty disturbing and very tragic.
To me that's the sign of a pretty good job by the writers.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Thanks for the tips. I wound up driving down the other side of the tunnel and lost the fuzz on the middle island.

Now does anyone have any tips on how to beat the
Chase the Wave mission? I pull back and kill the two guards in the front from the truck but the other guy just runs into the building and always ends up getting killed before I can even cover him.

Thanks!

mandiller

ending stuff.
I finished the game by making the choice to pursue the deal, get backstabbed by Dimitri again and have Roman die. I felt the ending was satisfying and gripping. Perhaps only people who chose the other ending felt a little let down? The ending was great. Dimitri laying there spitting out blood before he dies and Nico having lost his cousin. Some great dialogue right to the end. "So...this what the American dream feels like?" Great ending!

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm about to choose whether to
kill darko or let him live?

What should i do? How does it affect the game. Thanks

CoG

Wow this
final Peggarino
really sucks. No checkpoints so you have to do it all over if you
miss the jump or crash the heli
. Haven't been this pissed off at a game since the NES era.

Guts Of Thor said:
Thanks for the tips. I wound up driving down the other side of the tunnel and lost the fuzz on the middle island.

Now does anyone have any tips on how to beat the
Chase the Wave mission? I pull back and kill the two guards in the front from the truck but the other guy just runs into the building and always ends up getting killed before I can even cover him.

Thanks!
from me earlier in the thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11442491&postcount=16893

MrTroubleMaker said:
You could do that or you could
get back in the truck , drive around the back of the building by the boats, and start killing all the guy's, I did this and killed all of them befor they had a chance to even shoot Phil that much
it made that mission real easy ;)

Dizzan said:
I'm about to choose whether to
kill darko or let him live?

What should i do? How does it affect the game. Thanks
I
clipped him
, and was thoroughly satisfied by it. It has no effect on the game other than slightly changing some lines that Roman says on the car trip home. So just go with your heart :D

Diablos

Beat the game last night. I went with
Revenge over Deal.
Poor
Kate, she didn't deserve that. :(

Question:
What happens when you do Deal?
I hear
Roman dies or something? What's different? I don't mind it being spoiled for me, so spoil away.

I was kinda hard on this game, saying it was more of the same -- and in many ways it is -- but even after picking up MGS4 last night I HAD to complete the required missions, it's as if I wouldn't allow myself to play anything else. And so I stayed up until about 3 or 4 AM finishing this game. You don't realize (well, I didn't) how... well, deep, the world of GTA4 is until you are done playing. It's a really impressive one that you don't want to leave once you're done. I still feel like going back to it, but I should get started on MGS4 (summer of gaming woooo).

Overall it's a great game. It does get a bit redundant at times, but it's the best game in the series since GTA3. I hated Vice City, and got really bored with San Andreas around 65-75% through the required missions. This is the first time I've completed a GTA *since* GTA3, heh.

Himu: I found the game to be sometimes challenging, sometimes easy. Depends on the mission.

Also, what's everyone's favorite commercial? I like the mummification ad. Makes me lulz every time.

I'MA GET ME A REAL SARCOPHAGUS OR SOME SHIT
I'M A PHARAOH! :lol :lol :lol

Wiggum2007

Diablos said:
Question:
What happens when you do Deal?
I hear
Roman dies or something? What's different? I don't mind it being spoiled for me, so spoil away.

You go to do the deal with Phill Bell, but it's sabotaged by Dimitri and you barely escape with the money. Niko tells Phill he's not going to go after Dimitri for revenge, but just forget about it and live with the money. At Roman's wedding, an assassin sent by Dimitri attempts to kill Niko and Roman is shot and killed in the scuffle, so then for the final mission you go after Dimitri at the old casino, Dimitri kills Pegerino just like he's betrayed everyone else he's worked with, and you chase him to the Statue of Happiness and kill him. Only difference in the final mission between both endings is that in one you chase the boat in a dirt bike, and in the other one you chase it in another boat.

Diablos

Rez>You said:
Whoa whoa,
kill Dwayne and you get nothing but some cash, kill PB and you get a safehouse AND backup.
But if you let
Dwayne live, and your friend % with him is high enough, you can have him send a car full of armed thugs to help you out!

I couldn't let Playboy live, he was an asshole, even if he gave me lots of money :D

Wiggum2007 said:
You go to do the deal with Phill Bell, but it's sabotaged by Dimitri and you barely escape with the money. Niko tells Phill he's not going to go after Dimitri for revenge, but just forget about it and live with the money. At Roman's wedding, an assassin sent by Dimitri attempts to kill Niko and Roman is shot and killed in the scuffle, so then for the final mission you go after Dimitri at the old casino, Dimitri kills Pegerino just like he's betrayed everyone else he's worked with, and you chase him to the Statue of Happiness and kill him.
Cool. I'm satisfied with
the Revenge path
, though. It's too bad what happened to
Kate, but Roman was a much more important character, so I'd rather see him live.

Also, why so much hate for
Kate? She was the only normal person in the McReary family, and I didn't think she was cold or snobby at all. Carmen is the girl in that game that pissed me off. I dumped her ass! Kiki's the best, she even gets you out of up to three stars of trouble, most of the time.

Speaking of
Kate, which McReary did you guys kill? I decided to get rid of Francis. He had it way too good to do so many bad things unlike his brother who seriously needed help.

CoG

Beat it today. I did the
revenge
path. Lack of check points in multi-part missions just suck in this game. Did the final mission probably six times because I kept screwing up that the very end of it. Seriously, a
car chase, shoot out, bike chase, jump, helicopter chase, and finally another gun fight
without checkpoints is just cruel.

After playing through The Puerto Rican Connection and Snow Storm, I have to ask...
WHY THE HELL AREN'T THERE CHECKPOINTS IN THIS GAME? I don't like driving all the way across the damn city every time I restart a mission...
Really, GTA IV gets so many things right, but then it has a few of these extremely irritating oversights...

Top Bottom