• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I'm at 97% and I still have to get all the birds which will bring me to 99.5% which means I'm missing 1 random person encounter. Anyone have the times of when certain characters are available on the street. I remember there are a few people who are only available during certain times.

CitizenCope said:
Anyone? Please!! Answer to question on post 16847.

Niko has a really good line after the credits role, something about the American Dream, which I thought was pretty spot-on to the overall mood of the story. But it isn't worth reloading a save over.

dankir

Just beat it and loved every fucking minute of it. One of the best stories / writing / acting in game in a very long time.

Now replaces San Andreas as my favorite GTA.

Hats off to Rockstar!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I got TWO Turkeys in a row today! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Is there a way to play the mini games online against other people? I'd serve all of you at bowling! :lol

raYne

isamu said:
I got TWO Turkeys in a row today! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Is there a way to play the mini games online against other people? I'd serve all of you at bowling! :lol
Nope, and once you know the "trick" you can't not get strikes.

The only minigame worth playing is pool. At least then there's some skill involved.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
raYne said:
Nope, and once you know the "trick" you can't not get strikes.

The only minigame worth playing is pool. At least then there's some skill involved.

You have a good point, but guess what mayne? I DIDN'T use the two step to the left trick....I bowled straight up with out taking any steps left or right, and still got it! The two step trick is cheating IMHO and I won't even use it.

Oh and wait a sec, you're saying you don't need skills to win at darts :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I just got all 50 stunt jumps and all 200 pidgeons. Does the game not reward you at all for this? I mean beyond achievements and the added percentage total? Christ, that took like a dozen hours even with a faq!

raYne

isamu said:
You have a good point, but guess what mayne? I DIDN'T use the two step to the left trick....I bowled straight up with out taking any steps left or right, and still got it! The two step trick is cheating IMHO and I won't even use it.

Oh and wait a sec, you're saying you don't need skills to win at darts :lol
Oh, you mean the normal way? Well, congrats.

RE darts: None at all. You hardly even have to bother steadying the throw. Not only that, but the AI hardly uses the triples/doubles, so they'll never be a threat. Dart games are usually over in about 10 seconds. :lol Like 3 turns and you're finished with a victory.

Brandon F said:
So I just got all 50 stunt jumps and all 200 pidgeons. Does the game not reward you at all for this? I mean beyond achievements and the added percentage total? Christ, that took like a dozen hours even with a faq!
For the flying rats, you get the Annihilator Helicopter. It'll be on the MeTV building in Times Square (Star Junction?). It's not there all the time though, so it's a pretty shitty "prize". There's a trick to making it spawn constantly and that's to fly another chopper up there rather than take the window cleaner elevator on the side of the building.

You get nothing for the jumps.

The final mission is bullshit. After the
car chase, shootout, and motorcycle chase, the second I'm given control of the helicopter I get shot down by a rocket.

voltron

raYne said:

Not really. Most of the time the game lines up your next shot so perfectly that if you dont touch it and just shoot the ball will usually go in.

And A Master Ninja: Thats supposed to happen. Let it happen and wait to trigger the cut scene.

Kittonwy

Banned
3 leaf clover wuz pretty tough but I wuz like RAWRRAWRRAWR.
angry.gif

a Master Ninja said:
The final mission is bullshit. After the
car chase, shootout, and motorcycle chase, the second I'm given control of the helicopter I get shot down by a rocket.

Dude this mission is so easy, don't even kill anyone just run through the level until you reach
the bike, power through the beach hit the ramp and dodge the rocket fire, I beat this mission in four minutes this way

raYne said:
I think
Zombie Kate
finally dumped me. I didn't do anything wrong and took her out whenever she called, but she called me up and said she needed to move on with her life.

lolers.
I never did end up getting a call from her again.

raYne said:
For the flying rats, you get the Annihilator Helicopter. It'll be on the MeTV building in Times Square (Star Junction?). It's not there all the time though, so it's a pretty shitty "prize". There's a trick to making it spawn constantly and that's to fly another chopper up there rather than take the window cleaner elevator on the side of the building.

You get nothing for the jumps.

yep Star Junction and it is a crappy prize for not being there all the time :( same for the jumps .. no prize :(

voltron said:
you got a call from her even though she was dead?

I had her like at 100% when she got killed, dont know if that matters though, she will call you in about a game week ( at least for me it happened this way) ]

raYne

voltron said:
Not really. Most of the time the game lines up your next shot so perfectly that if you dont touch it and just shoot the ball will usually go in.

And A Master Ninja: Thats supposed to happen. Let it happen and wait to trigger the cut scene.
Yeah, that happens, but even then you can change the angle where you strike the cue ball with the right analog and use the spin of the ball (backspins/forward spins/sidespins) and bank shots to setup or get other shots that wouldn't be in reach. That's where the skill comes in.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I never did end up getting a call from her again.
Really? Have you been playing a lot on the same file since you've beaten it? Remember that you can't call her and she'll have to contact you. So similar to ther others, she'll only do that after she starts to miss you.

I probably took her out like 10 times before this recent occurrence.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Catch the wave is driving me crazy. Its the Phil mission where
you have to take that truck and drive him to some warehouse
I really need some hints for the mission.

Anyone know if there are any decent rips of the audio around the net? A friend of mine wants Roman's "Titties, titties, titties!" as his message ringtone.

So do I!

raYne

rc213 said:
Where are the races and assassinations?
You get the races by calling Brucie and asking for them. The availability of said races depends on the location in the city where you call him from. So if you can't get any when you called in Broker, you'll have to move on to Algonquin, the airport, Alderny Brohan.. etc.

For the assassinations, you unlocked the ability (from Phil?) during the main storyline. Then you go to the crosshair on the map in Alderny to talk to your contact and get the target info.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I haven't really touched this since I finished the main story. I finished the assassin missions (which were really good) but I can't be bothered searching for pigeons or stunt jumps when the rewards are so paltry. I'm looking forward to tackling some new missions in the DLC though.

raYne

Willy Wanka said:
I haven't really touched this since I finished the main story. I finished the assassin missions (which were really good) but I can't be bothered searching for pigeons or stunt jumps when the rewards are so paltry. I'm looking forward to tackling some new missions in the DLC though.
Overall, apart from a few exceptions, the Assassin Missions were better than the main missions in the game. FAR more freedom to do them how you wanted and no scripted invincible chase bs that I can recall.

The way I completed a few of them reminded me of the Hitman series and I <3 those games.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
raYne said:
Overall, apart from a few exceptions, the Assassin Missions were better than the main missions in the game. FAR more freedom to do them how you wanted and no scripted invincible chase bs that I can recall.

The way I completed a few of them reminded me of the Hitman series and I <3 those games.

I totally agree. I even had the black suit and red tie for those missions to add a bit more of a Hitman flavour to things :lol

X26

Banned
belvedere said:
What all is left do do after completing the story (besides birds and jumps)?

wait for the dlc

honestly, I love the game and have played through it twice but compared to previous GTA's for me there really isn't much to do after beating all the story mission

Man, just got this game today, and it is awesome. Probably about 3 hours in right now.

I got
Michelle
to fuck me after the second date. First went bowling, then took her to the pool hall. Asked if I could go in, and the next thing I know, I hear the sounds of some pretty intense love-making.

I thought I would have to work a lot harder than that to get her in the sack. She seemed like a "good girl" at first.

bigswords

EverSoTrendy said:
Dude this mission is so easy, don't even kill anyone just run through the level until you reach
the bike, power through the beach hit the ramp and dodge the rocket fire, I beat this mission in four minutes this way

Shit I'm dumb, you mean you could have avoided all combat?
But isn't the path to bike being blocked at the start?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm pretty new to this game.

i just went on a date with cousin roman, to the comedy club to see katt williams, and i actually LOLed. it was the 'if this song were bumpin' routine. good job r*!

psycho_snake said:
Catch the wave is driving me crazy. Its the Phil mission where
you have to take that truck and drive him to some warehouse
I really need some hints for the mission.

The key thing is
not hanging back like a pussy, or Phil will be swiss cheese. Just go in guns blazing and try to keep moving forwards, so that they are shooting at you more than they're shooting at Phil. You will take plenty of hits but you will last a hell of a lot longer than Phil so it's the only way to go. You can use one or two of the pillars as cover if you want, but if you find yourself without a clean shot from cover then you need to get out into the open again
. The second part of the mission
is pretty easy

FightyF

Banned
sionyboy said:
Something just semi-weird just happened, I took Dwayne out for food but rather than him saying "Yo homie, can you take me back to Northwood" he just said thanks and wandered off on his own....

Never happened before. Was he embarrassed by my 4 door family saloon? Does he not like my driving? Why can't more 'friends' find their own way home?

I've had a situation where Roman wanted to fight me and he was delivering blows and I was dangerously low on health I had to run away like a mofo.

It was pretty emotionally scarring...I thought he was my friend. :(

FightyF said:
I've had a situation where Roman wanted to fight me and he was delivering blows and I was dangerously low on health I had to run away like a mofo.

I wonder if that's a glitch or if Roman just likes to playfight with men.... he is a good friend of Brucies after all :p

A few times when I've parked too close to an object and blocked the passenger side door Roman will bitchslap me out of the car so he can get out the drivers side. Never had a friend try to assault me though.

1stStrike

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
I thought I would have to work a lot harder than that to get her in the sack. She seemed like a "good girl" at first.

Oh..just wait until later.
You'll be wishing you could kill the back stabbing bitch.

GuessWho

EverSoTrendy said:
bike? im on a boat, and i agree i soon as i get on the chopper i get shot down.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
endlessflood said:
The key thing is
not hanging back like a pussy, or Phil will be swiss cheese. Just go in guns blazing and try to keep moving forwards, so that they are shooting at you more than they're shooting at Phil. You will take plenty of hits but you will last a hell of a lot longer than Phil so it's the only way to go. You can use one or two of the pillars as cover if you want, but if you find yourself without a clean shot from cover then you need to get out into the open again
is pretty easy
I'll try that. The reason I kept failing the mission is because I've been doing exactly what you said not to do!

endlessflood said:
The key thing is
is pretty easy
That's funny, because going in guns blazing was the reason I failed it about 2 or 3 times due to Phil's incompetence. What I did was back up a little distance as soon as could so as to get Phil as far away from the guys shooting him as possible. I then preceded to pick them off one by one.

endlessflood said:
The key thing is
is pretty easy
You could do that or you could
get back in the truck , drive around the back of the building by the boats, and start killing all the guy's, I did this and killed all of them befor they had a chance to even shoot Phil that much
it made that mission real easy ;)

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Loving this game so far. Plot and Characters are keeping me interested, but more importantly, the world is absolutely breathtaking. I have yet to explore all of it, but Algonquin is simply incredible. Wow.

& Holy Crap @ Manny's Death :lol That was hilarious.

I'm on Deconstruction for Beginners right now. Failed it first try after I climbed up the ladder on a crane to snipe some guys. After I killed all the guys I could I went to go down the ladder, but I wasn't facing it the right way. I thought Niko just wasn't grabbing on & so I walked forward pressing Y & WHOOSH Niko fell about 100 feet to his death. I love the physics in this game. It was great:D

FightyF

Banned
sionyboy said:
I wonder if that's a glitch or if Roman just likes to playfight with men.... he is a good friend of Brucies after all :p

No, he threatened me and insulted me. And then proceeded to beat me.

:(

TeTr1C

Ever since I finished the story I've just mostly been playing online. SO FUN.

I'm about to go own some face with some friends in TDM. :D

I did the 'Three Leaf Clover' Mission the other day . . . FUCKING AWESOME! It was like being in the movie Heat. Bravo Rockstar.

At the pace I'm playing I'll probably be done with the game and all the sidequests when the new content ships. :lol

I must say that I've had a couple freezes on my 360 version which I've been playing. Not a big deal considering the number of hours but mildly annoying.

This game is Epic.

FightyF said:

Friend? He's not heavy, he's your brother.

keyrat

Anyone notice that when bedding the girlfriends, even though it only lasts like 10 seconds, they repeat themselves? Also, does it happen to you guys that right after that, Niko always has a little comment when it's over, but it gets cut off. It happens to me with every optional girlfriend. Not sure about the others because I'm done with 'em.

G-Bus

Banned
gah, it's feels like a chore trying to get through the main story. I'll do a mission, get bored and start fucking around.

I really like just mowing down some cops and getting into a big chase. Longest chase so far is around 20 minutes. More than half of that was on 5 stars. Good times :D

Top Bottom