• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

Darklord

Banned
I gave it a small test drive today...it's ok. The camera can be a pain sometimes and when it pans out mixed with the DS's small screen it can be hard to see things very clearly. It also blocked by something a lot of the time.

I find the cutscenes really dull so far too it's just a few still shots with text, meh.

I've only played like 30 minutes so I haven't done 1/10th of what there is to offer but at the moment I wouldn't call it a 9.5 yet.

It feels like GTA more than I thought though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They aren't speaking with voice but for all we know Huang is speaking Chinese to his relatives and other Chinese people and we are just getting the translation. I don't see why this is an issue.

But! I digress. I got this yesterday and played it about 2 hours. Yea, it's pretty much GTA on a handheld system. Works great. Still has a bit of that "toned down" GTA4 feel but works much better top-down than third person. The way you lower your wanted level is perfect. At least there's plenty to do.

So far, A+, another great DS game.

edit: one question though is the only way to get food through the lottery cards and hotdog stands?

Bizzyb

Banned
It reminds me of the good old days of GTA2

So awesome, I can't believe how much they fit into this tiny little cartridge

Darklord

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Aw, I heard it's just the instrumental version. Where can I hear/buy the full one? Does it play with lyrics over the title screen or anything?

I don't think so. I didn't hear any lyrics, in fact the only voices I've heard so far are from people on the street.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mujun said:
how do you dumpster dive?

did it in the tutorial but cant now.

Press SELECT in front of a dumpster.

Doesn't work on the blue dumpsters though. The blue ones are, obviously, blue and look a little bit smaller. The others are green/red/whatever with a black lid.

Bluecondor

I am really impressed with this game. It really feels like a version of GTA that has been optimized for the DS. I expect that this game will sell several million copies, and that it will spawn a series of GTA games for the DS.

To the people complaining about the cutscenes not having voiceovers, imagine the sound quality if they had tried to do voiceovers (much less fully animated cutscenes). Even though the cutscenes are somewhat lifeless, you can definitely follow the action and the storyline. It reminds me of an updated version of those text games we used to play as kids (like Oregon Trail).

I was curious how everyone has been playing this game so far. Are you keep the stylus tucked away until you need it and then pulling it out of the slot? Or, are you just using your fingers to press the touch screen? I find that there are a lot of random moments at the start of the game where you suddenly need to use the stylus. One that threw me for a loop was
paying tolls

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:
ASH was the only 2 gbit one, wasn't it?

(for those unfamiliar with bits vs. bytes, 1 gbit = 128 MB)

ash
world destruction
suikoden tierkeris
quiz magic academy
tales of hearts

i think a few of the digital comics as well...

mujun

EatChildren said:

Doesn't work on the blue dumpsters though. The blue ones are, obviously, blue and look a little bit smaller. The others are green/red/whatever with a black lid.

thx!

Tobor

I'm enjoying the cutscenes so far. The text is getting the point across effectively. I think I've played enough GTA games that I can imagine how the cutscenes would have been acted. I like the emails as well.

The drug dealing system is brilliant. This has to be incorporated into future GTA's.

rcl66

Anyone know how to target/destroy the security cameras? (China Towns equivalent of the birds from IV). I have found a couple but can't actually destroy them.

Darklord

Banned
EatChildren said:

It's not working for me. Wtf. :|

I'm doing something wrong here...do you have to complete some part of the game first?

diffusionx

Gold Member
rcl66 said:
Anyone know how to target/destroy the security cameras? (China Towns equivalent of the birds from IV). I have found a couple but can't actually destroy them.

Use a molotov or something similar. And they are better than IV's birds supposedly, because they have a supply-demand effect on the drug trade.

I'm doing something wrong here...do you have to complete some part of the game first?

Only the mission where you learn to search them. I think its the 2nd.

Beaulieu

rcl66 said:

They said to use grenades or molotov coktails.

I think more dealers should pop up if you destroy them, so they arent like the birds, since they are actually usefull...

But what do they look like ? I havent seen them yet !

Ps : This game is awesome, I love the drug dealing. Made a lot of cash this way.
I also love that you can buy cribs, have garages, etc. Alll the stuff that was missing from gta4 (which I love nonetheless)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darklord said:
It's not working for me. Wtf. :|

Yeah, you need to complete a few missions before you can really do 'everything'.

bdouble

Chû Totoro said:
I know it's not the subject here but does someone know if they have plans for a Wii version of GTA. Hearing all your opinions here it seems that they could do wonders with the wiimote capabilities.

Man if this studio took the job I'd be all over it. It really could be the ultimate mini game collection. I find it hard to think that they don't have anything planned for the Wii.

Anyways. Played a bit more last night just ignoring the quests and screwing around. Love the drug dealing because you can make cash quick. Then go spend a half hour on the scratch its and make a few grand and win a house :)

Really getting used to the controls. Driving a lot quicker now getting away from cops is so rewarding. Do you guys play with driving assist on or off?

Xrenity

Stormwatch said:
I was curious how everyone has been playing this game so far. Are you keep the stylus tucked away until you need it and then pulling it out of the slot? Or, are you just using your fingers to press the touch screen? I find that there are a lot of random moments at the start of the game where you suddenly need to use the stylus. One that threw me for a loop was
paying tolls
Yeah, mostly tucked away and pulling it out when needed, but if I just need to touch something, i'll use my finger.

Awesome game so far - This really is GTA. And it's fun.

I play with driving assist on. It helps more than it hurts.

I am shocked Rockstar didn't have the new wanted mechanic in the console games. It is fantastic. I pray it's introduced in the next ones. It would be so much more satisfying with a behind-the-car view.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Graphics remind me a lot of Ac!d, just a bit messier, which isn't a bad thing considering I quite liked Ac!d's graphics.

Only played a short while, but the game is fun as hell. Already full of that sense of whimsy I thought was sorely missing from GTAIV. Controls feel really tight too. Can't give a final judgment at this time, but I'm really looking forward to the rest.

v1cious

Banned
this game has the worst driving mechanics ever. it's bad enough the cars slide around the road, but it's frustrating as hell having to constantly center the camera every time you make a simple turn. also the music is beyond repetitive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
v1cious said:
this game has the worst driving mechanics ever. it's bad enough the cars slide around the road, but it's frustrating as hell having to constantly center the camera every time you make a simple turn. also the music is beyond repetitive.
Hm I haven't had any trouble with the driving at all with the auto-aim on (auto-aim doesn't bug me either). Then again I'm pretty early so maybe I'll come back later and bitch. PEACE

Beaulieu said:
They said to use grenades or molotov coktails.

I think more dealers should pop up if you destroy them, so they arent like the birds, since they are actually usefull...

One of the interviews said the security cameras affect the economy. Destroying them reduces the chances of getting busted in the area but also lowers selling prices due to increased competition.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
v1cious said:
I'm not having any trouble with the driving.

Scipius

Just got the game (broken street date in the Netherlands)! Does anyone know what the pre-order code actually unlocks? Nothing seems to have happened and there was no in-game notification?

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I'd recommend turning the driving view look-ahead all the way up, turning on the top-screen GPS, and turning on the top-screen health bar. These should have all been on by default. They make driving/not dying so much easier.

HiResDes

Is the Ghostface Killah and MF Doom theme song sweet? How is the soundtrack in general? How does Chinatown Wars stack up against up the old school isometic GTAs, GTAII for example? Is there more depth?

This game actually makes me want a GTA Wii version with motion controls. They did such an awesome job with the touch controls I would be interested to see what they would do with motion. Hopefully they will have a announcement for the Wii at E3, although I am not holding my breath for that...

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
HiResDes said:
Is the Ghostface Killah and MF Doom theme song sweet? How is the soundtrack in general? How does Chinatown Wars stack up against up the old school isometic GTAs, GTAII for example? Is there more depth?

Honestly, it doesn't get much deeper than this. There's an absolute shitload to do. If you are like me, and only play your DS in short increments when traveling or bored, you might never need another DS game again.

Forkball said:
How ironic that I posted in this thread that I was unsure about the game, and now I have it. I've only played a few missions, but I am LOVING it so far. This is GTA on the DS, and it does a lot of really interesting things. I really enjoy the setting, as I have been clamoring for a GTA game to take place in Tokyo or China. It's not the same, but it's still a unique perspective. BREAKDOWN:

Awesome:
Dialogue: Classic GTA black humor. Making the main character a slacker is a nice touch and it really relates to the DS audience who is far too lazy to get up and turn on a console.

Graphics: The early screens of the game were less than flattering, but it looks a lot better now. The people look a bit goofy as they're almost the same size of the cars, but that's the only hangup I have with the graphics. It looks great in motion and the buildings are nicely detailed.

Touch screen controls: So far I've only used them for minigames, but the touch screen controls were immensely well. The minigames are creative, ranging from hotwiring cars to scratching off lotto tickets. The first time you get to use them is also a pretty cool moment that really sets up the game well.

New features: I never liked how you had to avoid cops in GTA. The game allows you to be more aggressive by reducing your wanted level if you cause a cop to crash his car. It's way more fun than just running and hiding. Another awesome addition is trip skip. This allows you to warp directly to the mission point if you fail a mission. This was available in some missions for GTA SA but I think it's for all missions in this game. It needs to be MANDATORY for other installments. Another great feature is the ability to replay missions you already beat, which makes up for the lack of save spots.

Dynamic world: Many people praised GTA IV for making a realistic city that seemed alive. CW follows suit with a really awe-inspiring world where you will constantly see new things. So far I've seen a cop kill a guy, a firetruck trying to douse the flames of a truck that just exploded with cop cars surrounding the area, people break out umbrellas during rain, the ambulance racing to save someone who was run over by a truck with pedestrians looking on etc. You never know what you'll run into.

Not Awesome:
View is constantly blocked: Signs and train tracks frequently pop up and block my view. This can get really annoying during cop chases. It looks cool in cutscenes, but it's a pain when you're driving around.

Also I was dumpster diving, and instead of a gun I found a used condom. That sucked.

The game has been awesome so far, and I haven't even seen most of the weapons nor have I started the drug trade. GTA WII BELIEVE.

I found a dildo...LOL gotta love R*

Beaulieu

HiResDes said:

More depth and better in everthing, except, (imho) the soundtrack. GTA2 soundtrack rocked. Still listening to "Taxi drivers must die" from time to time on my MP3 player.

Edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbIFx1u8jzc

So the consensus is that everybody who laughed at Nintendo for saying this was going to be a game hardcore gamers would want is set up for a serving of crow?

Personally I think I'll pick this up in early April, when I have more time to play games.

I don't like that the game uses both the buttons and the stylus. It's all or nothing, for me. Either do all or buttons, or all stylus. I don't like having to switch between them.

jts

...hate me...
TheGrayGhost said:
I don't like that the game uses both the buttons and the stylus. It's all or nothing, for me. Either do all or buttons, or all stylus. I don't like having to switch between them.
Well, thank you for the input.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheGrayGhost said:

This is my only complaint about the game. Fumbling for the stylus sucks.

However, the stylus activities are so fun, and the rest of the game is so freakin epic that it barely even registers on the radar.

I just use the back of my pinky nail to use the GPS, read email, look at turfs, sell drugs, etc. The only time I have to reach for the stylus are for the more involved minigames.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
FlyinJ said:
This is my only complaint about the game. Fumbling for the stylus sucks.

However, the stylus activities are so fun, and the rest of the game is so freakin epic that it barely even registers on the radar.

I just use the back of my pinky nail to use the GPS, read email, look at turfs, sell drugs, etc. The only time I have to reach for the stylus are for the more involved minigames.

I just use my thumbnail.. (wonder if that's any more damaging than using a stylus?)

...also.. The option for the vehicle camera look ahead (it goes from 0 to 10) really doesn't seem to have any effect one way or the other...unless I'm not seeing it?

Is there a way to shut off radio stations? I don't want to listen to anything but Deadmau5.

My only real wish is that taxis were everywhere, or that you could jack a passenger seat like you can in IV. Full taxis are useless in this game!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Pseudo_Sam said:
I'd recommend turning the driving view look-ahead all the way up, turning on the top-screen GPS, and turning on the top-screen health bar. These should have all been on by default. They make driving/not dying so much easier.
About that, I just picked the game up and the first thing that bothered me was how zoomed in the camera was when driving (I always feel on the verge of crashing into something). But I'm toggling the driving view between 0 and 10 and not noticing a difference. What am I doing wrong?

Tobor

Ordering your weapons online for delivery to your safehouse is cool.

Hijacking Ammunation trucks for free weapons is fucking awesome. :lol

sykoex said:
About that, I just picked the game up and the first thing that bothered me was how zoomed in the camera was when driving (I always feel on the verge of crashing into something). But I'm toggling the driving view between 0 and 10 and not noticing a difference. What am I doing wrong?

The camera zooms out as you speed up.

samratty

Played this on a friend's DS today. Played through one mission on a break at work and quite enjoyed it. It looks really good. Definitely interesting in buying it.

Top Bottom