• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I'd have to go back because it was fairly early on. I believe that one of the crew of the Argama says it when Kamille's mother is kidnapped by the Titans. Of course, I've had to change subs for Zeta since then because Gundam.info pulled Zeta down and so at one point I was watching the "I'm just an autistic kid!" subs which means it's entirely possible the subber fucked that line up and it should've been something else.

Subbed by 4chan? :lol

duckroll

I am the worst gunpla builder in the world. I have already managed destroy an important part on the Exia, and will need to get a replacement for it. Gonna try their official email first, and if that fails I'll have to ask a friend in Japan to help. Feels terrible. This is why you don't build anything when you're tired. To make things worse, the broken part is still stuck in one of the inner frame leg parts. I'm trying hard not to damage the inner frame itself, but I can't seem to get the broken peg out, and the broken part is damaged beyond recognition. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hate everything.

This is me right now:

IYyBYaW.gif

vareon

I am the worst gunpla builder in the world. I have already managed destroy an important part on the Exia, and will need to get a replacement for it. Gonna try their official email first, and if that fails I'll have to ask a friend in Japan to help. Feels terrible. This is why you don't build anything when you're tired. To make things worse, the broken part is still stuck in one of the inner frame leg parts. I'm trying hard not to damage the inner frame itself, but I can't seem to get the broken peg out, and the broken part is damaged beyond recognition. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hate everything.

This is me right now:

IYyBYaW.gif

My friend can order a custom 3d printed parts for any part he broke, but that was a 1/100 model. Maybe ask your local modelling community for help?

Almost understand your feeling though. Tried building an MG Turn A and I broke the chest part and botched its decal.

duckroll

THE WORST PART IS THAT THE BROKEN PART IS STILL STUCK IN THE FUCKING INNER FRAME LEG PIECE AND I CAN'T GET IT OUT AND NOW I THINK I'M GOING TO BREAK THE ENTIRE LEG. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I suck. :(

This is me right now:

BnDESKT.gif

duckroll already going for exia repair i see

x1l1emH.gif

Scavenger

This is me right now:

IYyBYaW.gif
http://parts.genteikits.com/ will be accepting new orders very soon. Parts are 180 yen and shipping is 360 yen.

NEO0MJ

THE WORST PART IS THAT THE BROKEN PART IS STILL STUCK IN THE FUCKING INNER FRAME LEG PIECE AND I CAN'T GET IT OUT AND NOW I THINK I'M GOING TO BREAK THE ENTIRE LEG. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I suck. :(

I feel bad for you. Still RG kits are notoriously fragile.

CorvoSol

Subbed by 4chan? :lol

Haha, nah, I'd hope 4Chan wouldn't bunk up the names this badly (like, in that sub it was Kotsu) or would have more fun with it than just that one bad line.

I've seen some bad subs of mecha anime in my time. When I watched the original Getter Robo the subs got really bad part way through and they changed Michiru's name to Man. Which means of course that all of the guys were like "NO! I WANT TO DATE MAN!"

Beth Cyra

I have a bunch of unopened Master Grade kits I want to sell. Would eBay be the best place to get rid of them?

Most likey yeah. You could also hit up the B/S/T, I've seen a few people work out deals in there for gunpla.

What kits are they? If you don't mind me asking. I really shouldn't be getting anymore, but depending on what you have/want for it I might be able to ask the SO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When it comes to standing posses?

In my experience yeah, you are not doing a whole lot with guys. In fact, just getting him standing can be a total pain in the ass because of how awful the feet are at holding up the weight.

Don't be fooled though Enzo, almost ALL transforming Gundam's suffer from this issue. Even Zeta Gundam 2.0 has problem because of how many things are going on in it's lower legs.

If you want a transforming Gundam that is stable UC just isn't for you outside of two kits.

ZZ Master Grade, it however can't pose because it can't even hold it's weapons because they are so huge and the thing's limbs can't move because of their bulk. this kit is probably the single worst one out in need of a 2.0 upgrade.

Zeta Plus - The Kit is really stiff, but because of it, it actually holds better then any of the other Zeta variant including the Delta Plus.

I would also say that ReZEL and it's variants are worth a look.

As far as leads go? You have

Wing Gundam EW/ Ver Ka (Same kit with different colors)
Wing Gundam MG
Wing Gundam Proto Zero
AGE -2 Normal
AGE -2 Dark Hound

And that is it. All the others suffer from problems that make having stand and pose problematic. The only reason the above can do it is their transformations are very easy to pull off.
Oh dear. Like I mentioned before though, I have no interest in transforming or wave rider modes, just am partial to the Delta Plus design. I ordered the Delta Plus anyways, so we'll see how it goes. I don't really mind making a homemade heel/wedge for the feet either, TBH.

Also, in celebration of my newfound Gundam obsession, I've made myself a Red Comet/Iron Man avatar. I think it turned out pretty well. Kind of skipped the fin on the head though.

I have a bunch of unopened Master Grade kits I want to sell. Would eBay be the best place to get rid of them?
Jump on the B/S/T thread! Then, eBay for sure.
I might be interested if they're cool. >.>

Deciding between the RX-78-2 in MG or HG, since I kinda want to keep the same size among my Gunpla. (1/144)
My Mass Produced Eva is like, huge, so that doesn't count. lol
Read about the RG, but apparently they're all kinds of fragile. :/

Beth Cyra

Deciding between the RX-78-2 in MG or HG, since I kinda want to keep the same size among my Gunpla. (1/144)
Well 78-2 was the first so yeah a bit fragile.

As far as the HG goes, it looks good. More in line with the Ver Ka or the RG instead of the chunky anime look that 2.0 went with.

Well 78-2 was the first so yeah a bit fragile.

As far as the HG goes, it looks good. More in line with the Ver Ka or the RG instead of the chunky anime look that 2.0 went with.
Ah, I see. That's more than fine, then. Especially with how dark I panel-line to give it that animated look. :)
After the 78-2, I'll finally get a Build Strike. (Since the one store that I asked to hold one decided to sell it two days before I could go get it. :/ )

I have a few event exclusive gunpla, I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested - clear color Gouf MG 2.0 and RX-78-2 2.0. I have maybe twenty Gunpla which I realized I'm never gonna get around to building. :(

Is there any list of upcoming gunpla releases or reliable rumor mill about that sort of thing? I'm looking to buy the 1/00 full armor unicorn but I'm not sure what the odds of a newer better kit coming out soon are.

The current FA isn't too old, maybe 3 years old. I could see them releasing an OVA version, but I'm not sure. Looking at the kit, it looks pretty much identical to the anime. On one hand, I could see them releasing it because of money. On the other hand, maybe there isn't enough changes to warrant the development?

CorvoSol

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you ZZ Top!

Or ZZ Gundam. Both have red beards, at least.

So this is the ZZ's like, corefighter or something. It's neat because it kinda is an extra piece that doesn't have to be made from bits of the ZZ Gundam itself. Sorta exemplifies what I really like about the HGUC line so far. There are lots of nifty little details, but the kits are also straightforward, easy to build, and made out of sturdy stuff. This entire Gundam took me only 4.5 hours to do. Compare that to the ARX-8 I made last week, which took a whopping 8 hours to build, haha.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the ZZ Gundam's backpack, and I may get around to replacing it with some other kind of pack eventually, but it isn't as bad as I expected it to look, either. I do have one complaint with this kit, though: it doesn't come with enough hands. Seriously, every other Gundam I've built this Spring has had tons and tons of hands and the ZZ comes with 3. So it is completely incapable of wielding both beam sabers at once or even a beam saber and the gun, because the hands with the grooves to wield weapons are both the same, and obviously the beam saber is much too large for any other kind of hand. There's still hope I can set the cannon in the other hand if I can find a hand that has a wide enough space to hold it, because the cannon's handle has a bump for setting it into the ZZ's hand.

I'm still not entirely sure what it is about the backpack that seems aesthetically off to me. I think it's that it sorta reminds me of a turtle shell, but boxier. I think the ZZ would look much better with sort of rounder engines on its back instead. Kinda like the ones on the Tallgeese, for instance.

Pictured at right is the ancient ZZ Gundam that I painted a week or so back. Just to show what a horrible job I did. Also to show how well these two kits match up in terms of proportions. And for myself to see just how far Gunpla has come in the decades since my dad brought this ZZ back from Japan to me. Among other things, the old ZZ's head is all one piece and is connected to its neck like a Lego man's head. The legs are also really wonky and the backpack isn't anywhere near as well built. Likewise one can argue that it kinda shows my progress with gunpla, since I did a terrible job building that one. Someday I'll crack it out and compare it to other gunpla I've painted to remind me how far I've come in that department, too.

Finishing off, I've got the ZZ next to the Z, just because I really like the two and it's nice to seem them next to one another. The ZZ is pretty bulky compared to the sleeker design of the Zeta, and with all its weapons I was afraid it would scream over the top and gimmicky, but when you count them up, the ZZ and Zeta are pretty much equal. Zeta has 1 beam saber, the beam rifle in its other hand, and the Hyper Mega Launcher. ZZ has two beam sabers and its one beam rifle. 'Course ZZ also has the ridiculously awesome hi-mega particle cannon on its head, but that's another story.

Anyway, that's all the more Gunpla I'm building for the foreseeable future, but it's been really fun doing it, and I'm amazed at the progress I've made since Christmas! I've got about 20 mechs sitting on my shelf now. I think I might build a little diorama and then pose them as some sort of Super Robot War.

CorvoSol

That's a rad kit. Looks great! Shame about the hands, though. :/

It was pretty fun to build. I really enjoy that the HGUC line I've built have been very straightforward, easy to follow, and the instructions are more or less clear for a dude who can't read Japanese at all. The stickers were also all large enough that I didn't sit their cussing as I tried to apply them. The hands were disappointing, but I think technically the ZZ never DOES wield two weapons at once, so that'd be my guess behind it. Frankly I'm just happy that its beam sabers came with clear plastic instead of the Zeta's "paint this entire hand" one.

Ken

It was pretty fun to build. I really enjoy that the HGUC line I've built have been very straightforward, easy to follow, and the instructions are more or less clear for a dude who can't read Japanese at all.

that's pretty much how MG instructions are so don't let that scare you away from moving up

that's pretty much how MG instructions are so don't let that scare you away from moving up

The amount of detail they can convey in those things is incredible. Without understanding Japanese I still understood that the seemingly symmetrical piece actually has a slight groove that makes it fit in perfectly. Really the whole engineering on these kits are incredible.

Ken

The amount of detail they can convey in those things is incredible. Without understanding Japanese I still understood that the seemingly symmetrical piece actually has a slight groove that makes it fit in perfectly. Really the whole engineering on these kits are incredible.

ikea instructions on the other hand

CorvoSol

Right now MG scares me cuz of the price and scale difference. I like having my models all more or less the same size right now. That way Vox Aura and Laevatein don't look wildly shorter than any Gundams I have. Even if they ARE shorter than a Gundam. I like my Mobile Suits and Arm Slaves equal in height.

Then again I have this Voltron that's just hilariously tall compared to everything.

Honestly, if MG had the diversity of the HG line, I'd probably just spring for those. Higher quality, they look really nice. In most cases they're better enginered. They should do what they did with the HG line in the late 90s and start releasing MGUC kits

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great pictures, CorvoSol. The ZZ's colours really seem to pop the way they're distributed across all the white.

Damn, y'all are making me scared of ponying up for an MG for my second build. The main reason I did that was that I got a most of the satisfaction out of the build itself when I built my Astray.

Speaking of the Astray, I finally finished panel-lining it. Will wait 'till the morning to take pictures though. Some places you look at and go.. why didn't they just make a tiny black piece to go in there?

CorvoSol

Great pictures, CorvoSol. The ZZ's colours really seem to pop the way they're distributed across all the white.

I think the only real crime I can accuse ZZ of (backpack aside) is not being as good as Zeta. At the same time, it almost seems to me like the ZZ is meant to be nothing like the Zeta at all. Which makes the name a bit curious but there you have it. Over time I've grown really attached to the blue shoulder pads and the big ol cannon mounted on its head.

NEO0MJ

Damn, y'all are making me scared of ponying up for an MG for my second build. The main reason I did that was that I got a most of the satisfaction out of the build itself when I built my Astray.

Don't be afraid. After building his first Zoids kit and the HG Qubeley kit my lil' bro had no problems at all building the MG Sinanju and even the kotobukiya Noblesse Oblige kit.

duckroll

Feeling a bit less depressed today! Regained some self confidence by completing the right leg (too bad there isn't a left leg to work on next... >_<). I'm pretty happy with the detail and engineering in the kit, but goddamn these RG parts are tiny and fragile as fuck. This is really turning out to be a trickier experience than building MGs. MGs have a lot of parts too, but at least the pieces are bigger and easier to handle. Here there's just so much room for error. I get paranoid while trimming some of the pieces after getting them off the runner because they're so goddamn tiny.

The end result is pretty satisfying though. The leg looks really cool, it seems to have solid balance, and the articulation is fantastic. It's really cool connecting the layers piece by piece onto the skeleton too. Definitely feels like building a MG, except with tiny ass 1/144 pieces.

Ken

seeing just the leg reminds me of that guy's ReZEL getting blown up by sinanju and the foot flying past riddhe in UC ep 2

anyways them stuffing tons of parts into a 1/144 scale model was why i was kind of wary of RGs. haven't touched my RG mk2 yet but hopefully I don't break anything.

duckroll

seeing just the leg reminds me of that guy's ReZEL getting blown up by sinanju and the foot flying past riddhe in UC ep 2

anyways them stuffing tons of parts into a 1/144 scale model was why i was kind of wary of RGs. haven't touched my RG mk2 yet but hopefully I don't break anything.

I don't think actually breaking parts is a real concern if you're careful. What I did yesterday was really, really stupid. The larger concern when building it properly is handling small pieces of parts, stickers, etc. After getting the stuff off the runner, it can be tricky to trim the nubs off some of the parts because they're really tiny. Aligning parts which snap together can also be a bit of a pain.You need to look really closely because the parts can be small and the indicators for the alignment are even smaller.

Stickers are a total -bitch-. In fact, I'm serious considering getting a silver metallic marker when the kit is complete, and I'm going to strip the stickers I tested on that leg and just paint those segments instead. The purpose is just to have a metallic backing to reflect light back onto the transparent holographic strips to create the effect for the exposed GN wires. It'll probably look much better that way.

Using stickers for the stuff with actual text is unavoidable though. The stickers are printed REALLY nicely - great detail and resolution even at the size, no runny colors, film material, etc. But they're such a pain to apply correctly because everything is so small. Aaaaah. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom