• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If someone is going to have a flag in space you're damn sure they'll have one that replicates it waving in a proper breeze. Think moon flags.

CorvoSol

I think technically the Zakus that the Titans have are Hi-Zaks or something? Like they're GMs with Zaku heads and colors or something. Some kinda hybrids from what I remember.

Damn Zeta Gundam has a lot of slapping the shit out of people. And hey yeah thanks for just having Zaku piloted by the federation without any explanation whatsoever. Yeah that's not going to be the slightest bit confusing.

And there's a Suit called the Rick Dias

RICK DIAS

Why after dozens of mobile suit designs do they decide to give one a person name?

aiwDNhF.png

Space doesn't work like this! What are you doing? Why is your flag flapping in the vaccum of space?

*edit* OK, I just got to the kidnapping. I'm not going to complain anymore because This show is just fucking looney tunes and I'd be a dummy for expecting it to make any sense.

you must have missed the shot of jets blowing air, causing the flag to wave. (I'm serious by the way)

I think technically the Zakus that the Titans have are Hi-Zaks or something? Like they're GMs with Zaku heads and colors or something. Some kinda hybrids from what I remember.

Hizacks are like a mix between Zaku and GM. After the One Year War, Anaheim Electronics about out Zeon's mobile suit manufacturers, namely Zeonic and Zimmad, gaining access to their design information.

The Hizack has the head of a Zaku, with a body that features parts from both a Zaku and a GM, such as the chest vents.

Beth Cyra

No lies there. Also gets the worst space upgrade and the worst EW upgrade. Going crazy is pretty much his only shining moment.

See I think Sandrock was the best upgrade in EW relative to his Wing form. Wing Sandrock was garbage, but EW wasn't that bad, and good compared to some good designs in my opinion.

I never really got the Qautre hate though, he's by no means a great character but I don't hate him like alot of people seem too.

I feel you could also joke about Felinni having the worst girlfriend in BF being a shout out to how much girlfriends not named Noin sucked in Wing, but that's not very fair to Kirara.

I will agree that every Wing female was garbage, but I have since the beginning and maintain that not only was Kirara the best Girlfriend in BF, but the best Female character in the show period.

Beth Cyra

UH AILA JYRKAINENENNENE HELLO

Not an Aila fan (and back when we were only two episodes deep I was talking about how excited I was for the pilot of that Quebely) and by the end the only character in the show I disliked more then her was China.

Beth Cyra

I don't get what everyone loves about Alia, she isn't deep and she isn't a good character or at least I don't think so.

China is trash and barely above a stock girl who's in love with the main that I hate in every other generic anime.

The ONLY good characters in GBF to me are these.

Feline
Ral
Tatsuya
Haman (I don't give a shit if it was just a cameo. She's still better then the rest.)

Kirara/Reiji are decent to good at time. All the rest are terrible and I really can't stand them.

Blader

I feel you could also joke about Felinni having the worst girlfriend in BF being a shout out to how much girlfriends not named Noin sucked in Wing, but that's not very fair to Kirara.

What a weird character. Why was her catchphrase just her name?

Damn Zeta Gundam has a lot of slapping the shit out of people. And hey yeah thanks for just having Zaku piloted by the federation without any explanation whatsoever. Yeah that's not going to be the slightest bit confusing.

Well it's kinda the point of the show: the tables have turned. Char's the good guy, the Federation are the bad guys, and whatnot.

The in-universe explanations are that the Hizacks are produced by Anaheim Electronics, which is staffed with Zeon engineers; Zeon mobile suits were found to be easier to built and pilot than GMs; and the Titans are deliberately hijacking Zeon designs in their anti-spacenoid attacks as a propaganda thing. But mainly it's just to show that the sides have switched from 0079 to Zeta.

RSLAEV

Well it's kinda the point of the show: the tables have turned. Char's the good guy, the Federation are the bad guys, and whatnot.

The in-universe explanations are that the Hizacks are produced by Anaheim Electronics, which is staffed with Zeon engineers; Zeon mobile suits were found to be easier to built and pilot than GMs; and the Titans are deliberately hijacking Zeon designs in their anti-spacenoid attacks as a propaganda thing. But mainly it's just to show that the sides have switched from 0079 to Zeta.

I can appreciate that, But with no one saying anything to this effect in the show it just looks really confusing. I look at this:
yEJbkc1.jpg

And I think Zeon-even though the legs and torso have a definite 'gundam/feddie' look.

CorvoSol

What a weird character. Why was her catchphrase just her name?

I don't understand Idol Culture like, at all. I've been exposed to it several times in stuff now. SEED, Macross, Persona 4, GTO, and Build Fighters, for instance, but I don't get what it is. All I can tell you is it's like back when Disney used to mass produce starlets, except weirder.

Beth Cyra

I don't understand Idol Culture like, at all. I've been exposed to it several times in stuff now. SEED, Macross, Persona 4, GTO, and Build Fighters, for instance, but I don't get what it is. All I can tell you is it's like back when Disney used to mass produce starlets, except weirder.

Yeah. Whlie I like Kirara it has almost nothing to do with her being a Idol. In fact I'm like you and don't see the Idol appeal.

CorvoSol

Yeah. Whlie I like Kirara it has almost nothing to do with her being a Idol. In fact I'm like you and don't see the Idol appeal.

I kind of like it best when stuff shows how fucked up being an Idol can be. Like Persona 4's Rise's meltdown from all the stress, or Minmay wandering a desert with a drunken/abusive manager/boyfriend/cousin, or (and I know I'm the only person who feels this way) how absolutely fucked up Meer Campbell was. I kinda like it when shows point that out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone here have an MG Delta Plus? All the reviews say bad things about it BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD and is a bit more affordable than most MGs :(

Get a white eraser.
Depending on paint and what not, of course.
This helps in certain flat areas, thanks.

Did you clearcoat it first? You should hit it with a Lacquer or acrylic gloss clearcoat before you start panel lining (do NOT use enamel clear coat). Makes it way easier to wipe enamels off.

Second thought - maybe your wash isn't thinned enough?
I'm using a black pen, not enamel or a Gundam Marker even. Should I have still done a clearcoat first?

Beth Cyra

Anyone here have an MG Delta Plus? All the reviews say bad things about it BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD and is a bit more affordable than most MGs :(

This helps in certain flat areas, thanks.

I'm using a black pen, not enamel or a Gundam Marker even. Should I have still done a clearcoat first?

I own Delta Plus.

Good : looks fucking amazing.
build is fun.
Best Wave Rider out of the MG options.

Bad: Feet. The balance is fucking awful but its because of the feet. It doesn't have heels like a normal gundam so its feet end up being flat, and on top of that they stick way out in the front but not the back so they just cant balance the kit.

I think its totally worth it, however its one of the few kits that almost require an Action Base just because the feet are so bad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I own Delta Plus.

Good : looks fucking amazing.
build is fun.
Best Wave Rider out of the MG options.

Bad: Feet. The balance is fucking awful but its because of the feet. It doesn't have heels like a normal gundam so its feet end up being flat, and on top of that they stick way out in the front but not the back so they just cant balance the kit.

I think its totally worth it, however its one of the few kits that almost require an Action Base just because the feet are so bad.
Yeah, which makes me think I should just just spend that extra money on just a more expensive MG =[

Though I only have one gunpla, I think I'm already a stickler for poseability. Am I right in assuming you pretty much can't do anything with it outside of it just standing in place?

that waverider discount
If there was a waverider-mechanism-less version I'd cop in an instant. Could care less.

RSLAEV

Don't you understand? The TITANS are exactly like Zeon.

A thing that some one says in the show.

They're an evil federation group but they're still federation, I need a lot more than "man these guys are literally Hitler" to justify such a radical change in mobile suit aesthetics.

CorvoSol

I got my HGUC ZZ today. The box is enormous and the instructions make it out to be the lengthiest build I have ever done. So I will probably spend all of tomorrow working on it, haha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They're an evil federation group but they're still federation, I need a lot more than "man these guys are literally Hitler" to justify such a radical change in mobile suit aesthetics.

Zaku's are easy to pilot is the excuse they eventually came up with. Sounds plausible, I suppose.

CorvoSol

Looking inside my ZZ's box and I see that it comes with pink beamsaber tips.

Which just makes the Z having a white bar stuck to a hand even weirder, really.

Just went running with the Build Stikers OST playing.
I feel like I could reach the heavens and punch angels.
I got my HGUC ZZ today. The box is enormous and the instructions make it out to be the lengthiest build I have ever done. So I will probably spend all of tomorrow working on it, haha.
Just looked it up. It looks SO COOL!

Beth Cyra

Yeah, which makes me think I should just just spend that extra money on just a more expensive MG =[

Though I only have one gunpla, I think I'm already a stickler for poseability. Am I right in assuming you pretty much can't do anything with it outside of it just standing in place?

If there was a waverider-mechanism-less version I'd cop in an instant. Could care less.

When it comes to standing posses?

In my experience yeah, you are not doing a whole lot with guys. In fact, just getting him standing can be a total pain in the ass because of how awful the feet are at holding up the weight.

Don't be fooled though Enzo, almost ALL transforming Gundam's suffer from this issue. Even Zeta Gundam 2.0 has problem because of how many things are going on in it's lower legs.

If you want a transforming Gundam that is stable UC just isn't for you outside of two kits.

ZZ Master Grade, it however can't pose because it can't even hold it's weapons because they are so huge and the thing's limbs can't move because of their bulk. this kit is probably the single worst one out in need of a 2.0 upgrade.

Zeta Plus - The Kit is really stiff, but because of it, it actually holds better then any of the other Zeta variant including the Delta Plus.

I would also say that ReZEL and it's variants are worth a look.

As far as leads go? You have

Wing Gundam EW/ Ver Ka (Same kit with different colors)
Wing Gundam MG
Wing Gundam Proto Zero
AGE -2 Normal
AGE -2 Dark Hound

And that is it. All the others suffer from problems that make having stand and pose problematic. The only reason the above can do it is their transformations are very easy to pull off.

Gundam 00 S2 - 11

uh okay.

So the 00 Raiser is finished, and Setsuna does a symmetrical docking with
Saji inside the 0-Raiser.

And then...that happened. So now..
Saji and Louise know that they are on opposite sides now.

This show just got weird. Like, it was weird before with all this Newtype Innovator business, but this just cranks things up to uncomfortable levels.

CorvoSol

Just looked it up. It looks SO COOL!

I used to hate the ZZ design because it isn't as awesome as the Zeta's, but I've come around to it in a big way. Aside from the backpack, it's definitely one of my favorite Gundam designs. It's like, if the 1st Gundam is the all-rounder, and Zeta is the fast one, then ZZ is their big, burly friend. (and Nu is when 1st inevitably upgrades halfway through.)

I'd like to know where you found that line.

But eh consistency in any fictional work is a miracle.

I'd have to go back because it was fairly early on. I believe that one of the crew of the Argama says it when Kamille's mother is kidnapped by the Titans. Of course, I've had to change subs for Zeta since then because Gundam.info pulled Zeta down and so at one point I was watching the "I'm just an autistic kid!" subs which means it's entirely possible the subber fucked that line up and it should've been something else.

I used to hate the ZZ design because it isn't as awesome as the Zeta's, but I've come around to it in a big way. Aside from the backpack, it's definitely one of my favorite Gundam designs. It's like, if the 1st Gundam is the all-rounder, and Zeta is the fast one, then ZZ is their big, burly friend. (and Nu is when 1st inevitably upgrades halfway through.)
Take pics when you're done! >.>

Ken

Finished my GM Sniper K9. Definitely a more interesting kit than the GX Maoh. Kind of hate the legs though as they fell off multiple times trying to pose it. Haven't done any additional work like panel lining on it yet; maybe later. Planning on doing the HGUC Unicorn next. @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom