• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amuro is a fantastic character. Just keep wstching. Hes supposed to get on your nerves
Like, how annoying does he get?
Are we taking Shinji annoying?
The good thing about most UC Gundam shows is if you hate the protagonist, chances are someone will slap them upside the head for you.
The scene on episode 7 where the
douche guy gets punched in the face
was something I didn't see coming. It was beautiful.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Which made Zechs that much cooler in my book.

The good thing about most UC Gundam shows is if you hate the protagonist, chances are someone will slap them upside the head for you.

You don't really get that in AU Gundam, I think.

Domon gets slapped around a few times (mainly nagged out of bad behavior though) by Schwartz. So does Kira. The Wing boys also get nagged and slapped around...but they don't really change that much from it.

Beth Cyra

Domon gets slapped around a few times (mainly nagged out of bad behavior though) by Schwartz. So does Kira. The Wing boys also get nagged and slapped around...but they don't really change that much from it.

Nah, Heero changes quite a bit. From the first 30 seconds and his personality there to the end is completely different.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Wing pilots change a ton...but not from being slapped around or nagged. They are seemingly immune to it. They all change quite a bit through their experiences, mainly in the learning how to be human department.

Wufei changes the least.

Beth Cyra

The Wing pilots change a ton...but not from being slapped around or nagged. They are seemingly immune to it. They all change quite a bit through their experiences, mainly in the learning how to be human department.

Wufei changes the least.

I like to think that Heero changes because of all the bullet wounds. The idea that he changes because of Relena is even more painful then how they completely dropped the ball with his character.

Like, how annoying does he get?
Are we taking Shinji annoying?

Never nearly as annoying. More along the lines of "I'm so tired why are you making me fight" ad nauseam, or being somewhat arrogant. He reels it in about halfway through the show though, and becomes a strong team player. His character development is done very well throughout the show. I love how he never becomes truly "perfect". He's always going to be introverted, and somewhat paranoid and quirky, but he's a guy you definitely feel for and admire. Easily my favorite anime protagonist.

Reszo

Does anyone here have experience with painting Gundam models? I just bought my first one and plan on going metallic but I want to know how much do I put it together before I start painting?

Never nearly as annoying. More along the lines of "I'm so tired why are you making me fight" ad nauseam, or being somewhat arrogant. He reels it in about halfway through the show though, and becomes a strong team player. His character development is done very well throughout the show. I love how he never becomes truly "perfect". He's always going to be introverted, and somewhat paranoid and quirky, but he's a guy you definitely feel for and admire. Easily my favorite anime protagonist.
Gotcha. Well, that's good to hear, though I wouldn't drop the series even if he turned into a bigger annoyance. It's just too dang good.

Also, made my decision on what MG I'll be getting~ It's rather obvious, since I'm liking the series so much. lol That RX-78-2 3.0 will be mine! >.>

NEO0MJ

Mark III backs it up with a penis envy mega beam cannon but that's a whole nother story.

I never really liked the Mark III or II. III looks too complex and messy while two had a terrible color scheme and an ugly head. Tallgese I however is a dream <3

Does anyone here have experience with painting Gundam models? I just bought my first one and plan on going metallic but I want to know how much do I put it together before I start painting?

I suggest visiting Gundam Eclipse, they should help you a lot. Visit the gundam construction sub-forum for details on building and painting models.

Ken

he's so good bright keeps a picture of him in his office on the ra cailum

NEO0MJ

You know, Epyon is one of the saddest gundams ever. It's sole purpose was to be the ultimate close combat mobile suit and yet its giant beam saber that's powered by its own generator can be stopped by Wings regular-ass beam saber.

Ken

You know, Epyon is one of the saddest gundams ever. It's sole purpose was to be the ultimate close combat mobile suit and yet its giant beam saber that's powered by its own generator can be stopped by Wings regular-ass beam saber.

every GBF unit's gimmick can be stopped by being punched

Andrew J.

I maintain that it was a structural mistake by the creators of Wing to make the main Gundams focused around ranged weapons. The main Gundam is always going to be involved in lots of close-range battles because swordfights are more dramatic. A lot of the Wing and Wing Zero's climactic battles didn't even involve its primary weapon, just a beam saber that, like you point out, isn't really anything special.

Say what you will about 00, but the creative team behind that series made a really good decision by making the main Gundam heavily melee-focused right from the start.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Say what you will about 00, but the creative team behind that series made a really good decision by making the main Gundam heavily melee-focused right from the start.

Aren't they all ranged focused besides Exia?

Besides Exia the main mobile suits gimmicks are sniper rifle, giant beam cannons and turning into a plane.

Vs. Wing which had Deathscythe, Sandrock, Shenlong and Epyon, who all had melee gimmicks

00 kind of just benefits from a larger animation budget and modern animation techniques more than anything over Wing

It also benefits from coming after it so it can steal its ideas :x

Enron

Banned

Wufei changes the least.

One thing that doesn't change is how dumb Gundam Wing is overall. Though it's less bad if you just ignore Endless Waltz

Blader

But its on the Gundam squad. Unlike the Methuss.

Or was the Methuss destroyed early on. Anyway, they give the Hyaku Shiki sorta honorary status there. Otherwise it wouldve just been the MS team, right?

iirc, the Methuss gets blown in half in one of ZZ's early episodes, and then Fa floats it back to the colony to help Kamille. So it's gone before the Gundam Team name becomes a thing.

and anyway, the Methuss sucks. Did it ever go a single battle without getting blown in half?

SkyOdin

iirc, the Methuss gets blown in half in one of ZZ's early episodes, and then Fa floats it back to the colony to help Kamille. So it's gone before the Gundam Team name becomes a thing.

and anyway, the Methuss sucks. Did it ever go a single battle without getting blown in half?
I don't think so, but the Methuss has an excellent safety record. It gets totaled every episode, but there is never a scratch on the pilot. It is always fixed by the next episode too. It probably helps that, despite the ugly appearance, it has an actually sensical transformation method, unlike every other mobile suit in Zeta Gundam. Too bad it is only equipped with terrible weapons.

On the other hand, the Barzam is the absolute worst mobile suit to ever appear in a Gundam series. All they ever did in Zeta Gundam was get shot down, often in large numbers. They never even fire a shot in retaliation. The highest level one ever achieves is drawing a beam saber before being shot down. They even get mowed down as collateral damage from more important mobile suits missing attacks. They are cursed.

Ezalc

Aren't they all ranged focused besides Exia?

Besides Exia the main mobile suits gimmicks are sniper rifle, giant beam cannons and turning into a plane.[/spoiler]

I like to put them into categories of: Melee, long range, area, and heavy artillery.

CorvoSol

every GBF unit's gimmick can be stopped by being punched

They should've put the Star Build up against a Turn A custom. Since the Turn A is one of the only Gundams to ever survive gettin' Shiny Fingers'd.

Hey man, Bananabot may get blown up regularly, but at least it isn't a Nemo. Why anyone would want to get into a Nemo or a Hi-Zak is beyond me. Those things are death traps.

I want to pilot one, sure, but for more than four seconds before I'm blown into tiny bits and pieces.

Even if piloting a giant robot was perfectly safe and harmless, I still wouldn't want to pilot one.

Why?

I was always under the impression that actually piloting a giant robot would only be sickening and frustrating.

I mean think about it. All you're doing is sitting in a cockpit looking at the viewpoint from the robot's head. So it would only be like playing an FPS game with Oculus Rift while riding those spinny things they put astronauts-in-training on. It's sickening to even think about.

And controlling the freakin' thing. Do you ever pause and look at all those levers and knobs that are inside Gundams and all those other things? There's probably 20-step instructions on how to get the thing to walk properly!

CorvoSol

i'd pilot a nemo

i was actually looking at the MG and HG Nemo yesterday lol.

It's sort of a shame that both of the Nemo pilots in SRWZ3 are two of the biggest dorks in UC. The only way they could make it worse was to put Mondo in there with them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Panel lining is officially 100x harder than it looks in videos. Getting lots of bad smears that aren't coming off completely with rubbing alcohol + q-tips.

Beth Cyra

Panel lining is officially 100x harder than it looks in videos. Getting lots of bad smears that aren't coming off completely with rubbing alcohol + q-tips.

It is.

Panel lining is so great when you finally get it down (I haven't after over two years, I'm just sad I know) but the detail it brings in a kit is just so hard to argue with.

MG's are really bad about this. Like if you look up a MG Wing Proto Zero or Gundam X they really just ugly with out the lining. The legs on the Zero or so white it's almost blinding and it really needs that ink to break it up.

Enron

Banned

Did you clearcoat it first? You should hit it with a Lacquer or acrylic gloss clearcoat before you start panel lining (do NOT use enamel clear coat). Makes it way easier to wipe enamels off.

Second thought - maybe your wash isn't thinned enough?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Haha it's so damn stupid.

Though I will always appreciate the fact that Heero in Leo was going toe to toe with him and doesn't even bother really fighting back in Zero.

FUCK YES!!! FINALLY someone who understands that Heero could've easily ended him but was only trying to talk sense into his comrade. Man Wufei was going for so many kill shots while Heero was just trying to disarm/disable him. Wufei was just an idiot and although I adore Wing and EZ you wonder why no one was charged with capital punishment and why Wufei was so easily forgiven. They could've been a little more realistic as far as consequences go.

Beth Cyra

FUCK YES!!! FINALLY someone who understands that Heero could've easily ended him but was only trying to talk sense into his comrade. Man Wufei was going for so many kill shots while Heero was just trying to disarm/disable him. Wufei was just an idiot and although I adore Wing and EZ you wonder why no one was charged with capital punishment and why Wufei was so easily forgiven. They could've been a little more realistic as far as consequences go.

I don't know, I think the majority of people realize what's going on in the fight between Wing Gundam Zero Vs Altron.

The fact is that Heero was keeping up with Altron in a Leo, Heero is stated factually as being either the best pilot in this universe or tied with Zechs as number 1. Also the major factor that Wing Zero does NOT engage the Zero System until it's already below the ocean.

At no point does Heero even slash for Altron's body, more so Zero is shown to be the most powerful physically of the Gundam's aside from Epyon and it shows Altron even pusing the beam saber away from it's shoulder. Altron and Wufei simply are not equipped to handle the speed or strength when it comes to down just the Gundam's, nor is he a pilot on the level of Heero.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sandrock being a Gundam built for defense makes no sense when the scientists know that OZ can't even field a weapon that can lay a scratch on the least armored Gundam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh, that's another awful bit in Gundam Wing.

Self Destructs are mainly there to keep your secrets out of enemy hands but the Magwanac rebuild Sandrock in a few weeks after it self detonates.

CorvoSol

Oh, that's another awful bit in Gundam Wing.

Self Destructs are mainly there to keep your secrets out of enemy hands but the Magwanac rebuild Sandrock in a few weeks after it self detonates.

It was a pretty cool moment when Felinni was gonna self-destruct in BF, though. Nice shout out to how often that stuff happened in Wing.

CorvoSol

I feel you could also joke about Felinni having the worst girlfriend in BF being a shout out to how much girlfriends not named Noin sucked in Wing, but that's not very fair to Kirara.

RSLAEV

Damn Zeta Gundam has a lot of slapping the shit out of people. And hey yeah thanks for just having Zaku piloted by the federation without any explanation whatsoever. Yeah that's not going to be the slightest bit confusing.

And there's a Suit called the Rick Dias

RICK DIAS

Why after dozens of mobile suit designs do they decide to give one a person name?

aiwDNhF.png

Space doesn't work like this! What are you doing? Why is your flag flapping in the vaccum of space?

*edit* OK, I just got to the kidnapping. I'm not going to complain anymore because This show is just fucking looney tunes and I'd be a dummy for expecting it to make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom