• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

FoxSpirit

So I just ordered a bunch of stuff to get into making cables. I'll let y'all know if I destroy any of my equipment! I got a multimeter though, so I'll be able to test stuff safely.
What cables did you get? I have some custom Canare interconnects from Ghent Audio and they are great.

Do better dacs make that much of a difference? I sort of assumed the conversion was a pretty well solved problem if you know what I mean.

Depends on implementation. I just got in a DragonFly Red and I think it's pretty exceptional. Most natural and organic sounding portable source I've heard to date and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Super god damn smooth, nice and rich midrange, powerful bass, articulate treble, and really excellent imaging. It's easily a cut above stuff like the AK Jr, ZX2, go v1/v2, leckerton Uha-MK II. etc. like this $200 stick DAC has made all of my portables obsolete lol. Also sold the Andromeda. The modded Series 5/DFR combo sounds fuckin incredible and costs less than $300 LOL.

leng jai

DACs matter to a point, it's essential to at least have a decent one. I wouldn't spend more than 400-600$ on one that's for sure, the differences are minimal once you get past that point. They're the worst price to performance propositions in this hobby aside from cables.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on implementation. I just got in a DragonFly Red and I think it's pretty exceptional. Most natural and organic sounding portable source I've heard to date and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Super god damn smooth, nice and rich midrange, powerful bass, articulate treble, and really excellent imaging. It's easily a cut above stuff like the AK Jr, ZX2, go v1/v2, leckerton Uha-MK II. etc. like this $200 stick DAC has made all of my portables obsolete lol. Also sold the Andromeda. The modded Series 5/DFR combo sounds fuckin incredible and costs less than $300 LOL.

Hmm, that's interesting, because from what I know the original dragonfly wasn't well regarded, at least not by the dac/amp loonies at SBAF.

Measurements don't look very promising over on SBAF for the Sine.

Another day, another Audeze adorama sale. Still resistant to getting the LCD-2 again.

Hmm, that's interesting, because from what I know the original dragonfly wasn't well regarded, at least not by the dac/amp loonies at SBAF.

To be frank I don't agree with everything said over at SBAF. Like how Marv thinks the zx2 is the end all be all for portable sources. It's not. I have no idea how the original dragonfly sounds, but the DFR is a really fuckin great source to my ears and sounds substantially more "analogue" than nearly every portable source I've heard. This isn't a subtle thing to me. It's actually quite noticeable. Whether someone actually likes this type of signature is something else altogether

Antiwhippy

Softer transients/rolled treble?

Also yeah, i enjoy browsing sbaf but they're nearly head fi esque when it comes to dacs and amps.

Hattori

Banned
Picked up an HE-400s, sounds amazing coming from the V-Moda I own. I've decided to invest on amps/dacs instead of picking up the thousand dollar headphones on my list.

Jyester

Hi Can-Gaf, been reading through this thread, but I figured I'd come in and ask directly. What would be your go-to recommendations in the $300-350 range?

This will be my first time investing this much in headphones, so I want to make sure I get something good. I checked out some Bose QC35's recently and thought they sounded good, but this thread taught me that there's better stuff out there.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Antiwhippy

leng jai

Hi Can-Gaf, been reading through this thread, but I figured I'd come in and ask directly. What would be your go-to recommendations in the $300-350 range?

This will be my first time investing this much in headphones, so I want to make sure I get something good. I checked out some Bose QC35's recently and thought they sounded good, but this thread taught me that there's better stuff out there.

What is the rest of your gear? Sounds like you probably don't have an amp or dedicated DAC.

my6765490

Few options to consider:
-K7xx + amping
-Talos + amping
-TH-X00 (used)
-HD-600/650

Depends on your sound sig preference

Jyester

Thanks guys. I should've mentioned this, but I would like to be able to use them on the road. Although I have an amp at home, being able to take the phones with me and listen to them without using an amp or DAC is a big factor. From what I can tell, both the TH-X00 and the HD-600 require an amp. Any suitable alternatives that could be powered sufficiently by a portable device?

j-wood

I've hit a problem that sucks.

So I had the Beats Solo HD 2, and loved the sound. But fuck man, they KILL my ears after wearing them for an hour. It's like they press my ears so hard that they just start to hurt.

So I put back on a pair of Bose sound true around ears that I had. The comfort is unreal, I can literally wear these all day. The sound isn't BAD (i don't think anyways), but it's like there is no loudness to it.

On my Nexus 6p, at the same volume, the beats are significantly louder than the Bose is what I'm trying to say I guess. I wish I could get the sound from the beats headphones in the bose set.

Going from Beats to Bose is like a something you might see in a parody headphone post.

I have a Nexus 6P as well, and I've found it to only really sound good if I output via the USB C port to an external DAC/Amp.

j-wood

Going from Beats to Bose is like a something you might see in a parody headphone post.

I have a Nexus 6P as well, and I've found it to only really sound good if I output via the USB C port to an external DAC/Amp.

I know. I bought the bose before I found this thread.

I was going to buy the Audio Technica after finding this thread, but I talked to people in here who said the solo 2's were actually good, and I only paid I think 20 dollars for them (sale at best buy plus reward certs)

HiResDes

Beats Solo 2 are good headphones.
Thanks guys. I should've mentioned this, but I would like to be able to use them on the road. Although I have an amp at home, being able to take the phones with me and listen to them without using an amp or DAC is a big factor. From what I can tell, both the TH-X00 and the HD-600 require an amp. Any suitable alternatives that could be powered sufficiently by a portable device?
Probably should have gotten in on the Sine sale on the fourth.

For portable use I'd recommend the KEF M500, Focal Spirit Classic, or ATH-MSR7

Jyester

Probably should have gotten in on the Sine sale on the fourth.

For portable use I'd recommend the KEF M500, Focal Spirit Classic, or ATH-MSR7
Thanks man. Gonna do a bit of research over the weekend. I live in Europe so the sale would've probably been wasted on me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Open-back, warm, bassy, under $500. I have a GO 1000, so power is not an issue.

Go.

p.s. - fuck neutral on this one, please

I'm not sure that this is the best place to ask, but I have a headphone related question.

I was recently given a tube amp by a friend who upgraded, and have finally got it up and running. The amp doesn't have a headphone jack but it does have an RCA output for each channel. I was thinking about running those outputs through to a female 1/4 jack for my headphones (Sennheiser HD595s, nothing crazy).

Here's my question:

I've read that you shouldn't turn on a tube amp if it isn't connected to speakers. This could be a totally dumb question but will I damage it if I just have it hooked up to the cans?

This is the amp in question.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

If there's a dedicated audio thread I should be posting in please point me in the right direction! I am completely new to this.

Palace that is a fucking cool looking amp.

I have certainly seen folks say to leave your headphones unplugged until your tubes heat up to avoid the "pop", but I've never seen anyone that actually had speakers or headphones damaged because of this.

HiResDes

Open-back, warm, bassy, under $500. I have a GO 1000, so power is not an issue.

Go.

p.s. - fuck neutral on this one, please
HD650, Nighthawk, Fischer FA-011, HE-400, Master Dynamic MH40

...Some of those more V than warm, which I think is more U shaped

Palace that is a fucking cool looking amp.

I have certainly seen folks say to leave your headphones unplugged until your tubes heat up to avoid the "pop", but I've never seen anyone that actually had speakers or headphones damaged because of this.

Thanks for the reply!

So the general consensus appears to be that the amp itself won't get damaged but I could potentially overdrive my headphones. I gave it a shot and it is working very well so far but the output volume is quite low. I'm thinking I may need to run my source through a preamp.

I've also realized how crappy the compression is on most of my music. Some of the bass sounds absolutely crusty.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jason is posting they will announce a new 'small' Schiit product next week, excite!!

A new Fulla, or combined Magni/Modi maybe? They've said repeatedly that no battery operated devices for Schiit which is a shame.

K.Jack

HD650, Nighthawk, Fischer FA-011, HE-400, Master Dynamic MH40

...Some of those more V than warm, which I think is more U shaped

Man the FA-011 seems like exactly what I want. Can't find it for sale anymore though, bummer.

I have heard that a DAC can help tremendously when feeding a digital source through an amp and into headphones. Does the DAC sit between the source and the amp?

andylsun

I'm not sure that this is the best place to ask, but I have a headphone related question.

I was recently given a tube amp by a friend who upgraded, and have finally got it up and running. The amp doesn't have a headphone jack but it does have an RCA output for each channel. I was thinking about running those outputs through to a female 1/4 jack for my headphones (Sennheiser HD595s, nothing crazy).

Here's my question:

I've read that you shouldn't turn on a tube amp if it isn't connected to speakers. This could be a totally dumb question but will I damage it if I just have it hooked up to the cans?

This is the amp in question.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

If there's a dedicated audio thread I should be posting in please point me in the right direction! I am completely new to this.

That amp has an optional headphone output for $100. Might want to contact decware and see if they can retrofit. I've emailed decware a few times and they are very helpful.

It's got output transformers so speakers must always be connected when powered on unless the user manual says otherwise. I would suspect that the headphone option switches in a dummy load on the speaker outputs.

I wouldn't think the line level output really offer you any benefits - they shouldn't be used to drive headphones.

I have a decware that I was thinking about modifying to a headphone amp with a dummy load on the outputs but not got round to it.

I have heard that a DAC can help tremendously when feeding a digital source through an amp and into headphones. Does the DAC sit between the source and the amp?

Amplifiers only "understand" analog signals, hence... if you have a digital source, there is no choice but to have a DAC, since this is the device that converts the digital signal sent by the source into an analog one that can be sent to an amplifier (DAC = Digital to Analog Converter).

Every digital device, like an iPod, or a cell phone, has a DAC and Amp, and as you can imagine, most of the time, those are "generic" ones that do the job good enough (for most people).

At the same time, you can have both DAC & AMP as separate devices, which allow manufacturers to develop much more advanced (higher quality) products.

Those separate devices are available in a huge range of prices. There is a consensus regarding that at a certain price point, diminishing returns law applies.

There is no consensus at all about what's that price point, so is up to you to decide that, just using your ears :D

EDIT:

If you're interested in a DAC and/or an Amp, take a look at what Schiit offers...

http://schiit.com/

Those guys are known to offer kick ass products at great prices. I doubt there's another company with a better quality/price ratio.

Articalys

So if I wanted to get a pair of over-ear headphones that can block out most general surrounding noises in an apartment setting -- footsteps from the floor above, faint music from next door through the wall, and such -- what brands should I be looking at?

K.Jack

Yep, already came across that and emailed them. Good looking though.

Noisymotel does not ship outside australia and new zealand iirc.

Nah they have on the FA-101 page:

"Please note: We can ship Fischer Audio products internationally. For customers outside of Australia and New Zealand, please contact us via email to obtain a shipping quote and procedures on how to complete your purchase."

I wonder if they're gonna try to abuse me with their weak Australian dollar.

HiResDes

I heard the FA-011 LE they came out alleviated a lot of the treble peakiness of the original though, too bad that's fucking impossible to find.

That amp has an optional headphone output for $100. Might want to contact decware and see if they can retrofit. I've emailed decware a few times and they are very helpful.

The retrofit is where I'm headed. I think I'll just bite the bullet and do that instead of trying to accomplish this via a bunch of cables.

It's got output transformers so speakers must always be connected when powered on unless the user manual says otherwise. I would suspect that the headphone option switches in a dummy load on the speaker outputs.

Thank you! I think the manual actually says it us ok but I'm not well versed enough to confirm. From the manual:

If for some reason the amplifier was on with the volume all the way up and the CD player on with no speakers attached, having the speaker outputs shorted together will actually protect the amp from possible damage to the output transformers. With most tube amps, this scenario would immediately damage the output transformers making shorting of the outputs mandatory when a speaker is not connected.

Amplifiers only "understand" analog signals, hence... if you have a digital source, there is no choice but to have a DAC, since this is the device that converts the digital signal sent by the source into an analog one that can be sent to an amplifier (DAC = Digital to Analog Converter).

Every digital device, like an iPod, or a cell phone, has a DAC and Amp, and as you can imagine, most of the time, those are "generic" ones that do the job good enough (for most people).

At the same time, you can have both DAC & AMP as separate devices, which allow manufacturers to develop much more advanced (higher quality) products.

Those separate devices are available in a huge range of prices. There is a consensus regarding that at a certain price point, diminishing returns law applies.

There is no consensus at all about what's that price point, so is up to you to decide that, just using your ears :D

EDIT:

If you're interested in a DAC and/or an Amp, take a look at what Schiit offers...

http://schiit.com/

Those guys are known to offer kick ass products at great prices. I doubt there's another company with a better quality/price ratio.

This is great information, thank you! Given that I'll be using the amp through an iPad 75% of the time I'll look into getting a nice DAC. Thanks again!

This is great information, thank you! Given that I'll be using the amp through an iPad 75% of the time I'll look into getting a nice DAC. Thanks again!

How do you plan to connect the iPad to the amp?

If you are planning to use the iPad's headphone output, you don't need a DAC, that signal is already analog (ready to be sent to an amplifier).

Take a look at this, if you are confused about it...

http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

Jason is posting they will announce a new 'small' Schiit product next week, excite!!

A new Fulla, or combined Magni/Modi maybe? They've said repeatedly that no battery operated devices for Schiit which is a shame.

Where are you reading this? I'm not finding on Jason's head-fi blog or on sbaf.

That whole post from Jason left me salivating so much hahaha. Count me among the ones that can't wait until those new products are revealed!!!!

That product that has the potential to change the desktop landscape intrigues me so much. It's been a WIP since 2012, wow.

Top Bottom