• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
TH-X00 Ebony dropping in a few days:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00-ebony-headphones?referer=63DLF6

MD-23220_20160712205720_ada38d8496e9fc74.jpg

I hate their sales pitches. While wood is going to have unique characteristics that will bring out something different in the sound, they make it sound like all the derivatives of the original TH X00 are even better.

Jarmel

Banned
Been listening to the Universal Angies and the Roxannes. Been trying to decide between the two for the customs and it's been nightmarishly difficult.

Been leaning towards the Roxannes surprisingly. I had the 13s and the Angies are closer to what I had but the Roxannes are insane at times.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Full metal jacket versions or the first editions? I did like the rosie and angies quite a bit, but not at their prices.

Anyone have any experience with the ZMF Omni? I'm looking for a little more engagement with the music and a little less dry a sound than the HE-500 are giving me. I'm set up with a good DAC and amp for planars, and I love the speed and basic sound (If there can be said to be one).

54-46!

I'm looking to get a pair of portable, closed, over/on-ear headphones with good isolation.

They will most likely only be plugged in to my Sony Xperia Z3 but I am also considering a Fiio X3 if additional amplification is needed.

I listen to a variety of genres (rock, electronic, hip-hop, accoustic etc.) and prefer a neutral sound that leans slightly to the warm side.

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?

Antiwhippy

I'm looking to get a pair of portable, closed, over/on-ear headphones with good isolation.

They will most likely only be plugged in to my Sony Xperia Z3 but I am also considering a Fiio X3 if additional amplification is needed.

I listen to a variety of genres (rock, electronic, hip-hop, accoustic etc.) and prefer a neutral sound that leans slightly to the warm side.

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?

If you don't mind looking like a luggage the nad viso hp50 fits what you want perfectly. Momentums too. 1 was overly warm but i heard that the fixed it in the 2nd version.

Out of those though is say have a look at the p5 and h6.

I think it's the first editions as they're just demo units from JH.

I heard the new Roxanne adds the new freqphase tech which the old one lacked.

Jarmel

Banned
I heard the new Roxanne adds the new freqphase tech which the old one lacked.

I'll have to call JH today and confirm but my guess is that they're the old ones. I also don't think they're putting the freqphase into the customs which sucks. I haven't been able to find any impressions detailing how big of a jump the freqphase makes in this case.

Antiwhippy

Eh, if they sound good to your ears it doesn't matter what tech there is inside.

Loved the full carbon weave customs that jh does but man that adds a hefty premium.

andylsun

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?

I would add the Sennheiser HD-25-I for closed on ear. May be a bit neutral for you though if you want a bit of warmth

X-Frame

So my V-Sonic GR07 Classic's seem to be dying, it's breaking in and out and losing sound in the left earbud. They have lasted about 2+ years I think so not too bad.

I am curious if there is anything better around this price range?

I have the Bass Editions but don't like them as much as the Classics, the latter feeling a lot more balanced to me.

Is there a GR08 on the way? Otherwise I may just grab the Classics again. Thanks!

Antiwhippy

So my V-Sonic GR07 Classic's seem to be dying, it's breaking in and out and losing sound in the left earbud. They have lasted about 2+ years I think so not too bad.

I am curious if there is anything better around this price range?

I have the Bass Editions but don't like them as much as the Classics, the latter feeling a lot more balanced to me.

Is there a GR08 on the way? Otherwise I may just grab the Classics again. Thanks!

Nah, they kinda fell off doing anything new other than a $2000 iem that they let you custom tune.

Since I'm (still) waiting on my TH-X00s to come back to me, I decided to terminate the other end of my cable with another 3.5mm jack.

Tested it with my Nexus 9 > FiiO Q1 > Sony MDR 7506s, works great! Lots of little things learned making this first cable, I can't wait to get more connectors and paracord to make more!

HiResDes

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?
I like the Sony out of those best, but the msr7 would be a great choice as well.

Antiwhippy

Since I'm (still) waiting on my TH-X00s to come back to me, I decided to terminate the other end of my cable with another 3.5mm jack.

Tested it with my Nexus 9 > FiiO Q1 > Sony MDR 7506s, works great! Lots of little things learned making this first cable, I can't wait to get more connectors and paracord to make more!

Damn, those are some serious plugs there.

But wow, still no th-X00?

Damn, those are some serious plugs there.

But wow, still no th-X00?

I have a variety of different connectors coming soon though. You'll notice by the second one I figured out I could put it together so that I didn't need the heat shrink tubing.

Yeeeah today is 4 weeks since my headphones arrived at the guy's door. I contacted him once a couple of weeks ago to make sure he got them, which he confirmed and said I was next in his queue. Any day now, I hope! I have my ebony cups waiting to put on, too.

Got a pair of the new B&O H5s.

I bring my B&W C5s with me everywhere - great earbuds without being terribly expensive. Problem is, the wire just absolutely sucks. And using them to run is just an awful experience.

These are bluetooth with no stupid hard plastic battery cover in the middle of the wire. So much better.

Sound is decent. Very good for $250 BT IEMs - better than what I've heard from Beats and Bose. But no, not amazing. But for working out (weights, cardio, sports), I have yet to run into anything better under ~$400.

Bass is a little light. I try to avoid software equalizers - but the B&O app is surprisingly decent. You can artificially boost the bass, and it helps a lot on hip-hop and drum-heavy alternative. Highs are clean. A good bit of the mids blur together, though - hardly zero separation. About as far from "open" as my headphone selection gets.

28210581986_87354e418e_z.jpg

where can I get these?

Xander51

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?

I agree with HiResDes, the Sony MDR-1A is the best of that lot. The MSR7 is great too, though it may sound a little brighter than what you're looking for. The Sony's are also probably the most comfy headphone I've ever used.

Anyone have any experience with the ZMF Omni? I'm looking for a little more engagement with the music and a little less dry a sound than the HE-500 are giving me. I'm set up with a good DAC and amp for planars, and I love the speed and basic sound (If there can be said to be one).

SBAF seems to think the Blackwood is better than the Omni. I haven't heard the Omni myself (I know Zach recently made all new pads specifically for the Omni) but I have heard the Blackwood. The Blackwood definitely has the deep sub bass and clear highs that would lead to a more engaging sound.

I have the exact same ones and couldn't be happier. Pretty much my only complaint is that i sweat like a whore in church when it's really hot, but I guess you can't avoid that anyway with over ears.

Ugh yeah that is another complaint I have. Feel like my old shitty quality ones didn't make my ears nearly as sweaty, but whatever, I survive.

Suplexer

I really need to get a new pair of headphones. I had cheap $20 bluetooth in-ear ones about a year ago, but the battery sort of sucked and they sort of sounded really bad. I have been using my SO's Apple earbuds since they broke, but she sort of needs them back now and doesn't care enough about audio quality, etc, to go buy new headphones but I do. So I figured I would bite the bullet and spend up to $70 (less is preferable) on some sort-of-decent bluetooth headphones.

I know most good BT headphones cost over $100, but I figure by now there must be some decent cheap BT headphones out there.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I would be using them primarily working in the back room of my two jobs, and going for walks, with my Android phone.

SuperSah

Banned

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?

I own the MDR 1A and love their warm sound. Vocals are crisp and everything sounds pretty good. I'm not some super audiophile though. The build quality is very high though its isolation isn't the best ever.

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of wireless headphones? I missed the Beoplay H7 due to uncertainty. I'm looking at the BOSE QC35 as it has ANC. Any help is appreciated!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Noisey Metal don't fuck around ya'll. Paid on July 10th, and the FA-011 arrived on my door today, packaged amazingly.

These LH Labs fuckboys, on the other hand, haven't given me an RMA after 11 days of the support ticket being open. Approaching asshole territory.

At least my MSI laptop has a dedicated amp built into the headphone jack.

I've been looking at
- AKG K545
- B&W P5 Series 2
- Jays u-Jays
- Sony MDR-1A

Any recommendations ?
NAD Viso HP50 fits to a tee, and blows away most of that list.

Xander51

I own the MDR 1A and love their warm sound. Vocals are crisp and everything sounds pretty good. I'm not some super audiophile though. The build quality is very high though its isolation isn't the best ever.

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of wireless headphones? I missed the Beoplay H7 due to uncertainty. I'm looking at the BOSE QC35 as it has ANC. Any help is appreciated!

QC35's are solid, though a little heavier than the 25's and not quite as perfectly comfy. They are also a little bit more pronounced in the bass and sub bass than other Bose headphones. You won't do better for ANC though.

I'm tempted to give the Sony MDR- 100ABN a try sometime as I've loved the wired version. Just another model you might consider in that same price range!

Antiwhippy

Kinda tempted. Just got a bonus and a raise, but i did just buy the savannas and still have yet to get my impressions done.

Fuck it, not going to get it. I keep waiting to see when I'll pull the trigger for the th-x00 but i never do.

Antiwhippy

Definitely not for me, but that because they use that sort of generic sort of gloss finish that doesn't let the wood texture shine (ironic but you know what i mean). Zmf's wood work looks a lot more beautiful.

Antiwhippy

Hey that's pretty much the price difference anyway, so it's not too bad.

Those also look a lot better than the photos on Massdrop. The photos on Massdrop almost look like a flat black.

But man you fell into this deep.

Hey that's pretty much the price difference anyway, so it's not too bad.

Those also look a lot better than the photos on Massdrop. The photos on Massdrop almost look like a flat black.

But man you fell into this deep.

Haha, you warned me about that too. Honestly though, once I get my X00s back I'm done for a while. I don't need more than one pair of headphones and I'm happy with my home and portable amps. I'm going to keep making cables because I find it enjoyable and it doesn't cost a lot for materials.

Antiwhippy

Those cables do look pretty slick. I definitely know a few hobbyist cable maker that do some side business making custom cables.

Nah, after this you can fall into a deeper hole: iems. :p

Don't fall into the DAC hole though, that's a path to ruin.

been rocking k550s for a couple years now, but they are starting to show their age unfortunately. ripped earcups and headband and such.

I'm looking at sticking with AKG (really love the brand tbh) but I'm not really sure what I'd feel is in upgrade. I love how light the 550s feel on my head--I can listen for hours without a single problem. And the soundstage is probably my favorite part... I'm looking at the 701s right now, but I feel like I might not hear that much of an improvement over my 550s. I mean, I paid $200 for this pair (same price as the 701s are currently) about 5 years ago (it's already been 5 years since I asked this thread for advice on headphones??) Checking AKG's website and it doesn't look like they're even supporting their over-ear lines that heavily right now. Most of the models seem like simple variants of the 550s. This leads me here-- what do you guys think is a good upgrade for me? I'm willing to look outside brand if I can find a nice pair of comfortable, open-back headphones with a huge soundstage.

Additionally, I'd need amp recommendations. My budget for the headphones and the amp together is probably between $400-$500. Not trying to break the bank. Cheaper options are welcome too. Apologies for not perusing the thread for more information and just asking straight up.

sidenote--any nice soundcard suggestions? Are they even worth it? I just built a PC but I've never thought about actually using a soundcard until now. thanks for any help.

I spent $100 on ebony cups for my mahogany TH-X00s, so I guess it was worth it to me. Mine won't have the Fostex logo, which I like.

Mine have a lot more texture than it looks like in those photos.

This is the way to do it. Buy the mahogany for $400 plus emu ebony cups for the same overall price of ebony thx00, except you get 2 different wood cups and arguably better ebony cups this way.

LQX

Seems MasdDrop will miss the delivery date promised on there HiFiMan drop...

Unfortunately, there was a delay in the shipment of parts from third party suppliers to HiFiMAN, which resulted in a production delay pushing the ship date back to September 30th.

They're allowing cancellations so I'm going to cancel the HiFiMAN RE-00. And I'm not even sure I really need or want the HE-350 anymore so might cancel those also.

Seems MasdDrop will miss the delivery date promised on there HiFiMan drop...

They're allowing cancellations so I'm going to cancel the HiFiMAN RE-00. And I'm not even sure I really need or want the HE-350 anymore so might cancel those also.

For $35 I'm keeping the re00. Need a throw around pair of iems. Cool of massdrop to allow people to drop their orders though.

leng jai

To be honest if I'm paying money to mod my TH-X00s I'm buying pads instead of cups. The stock pad's comfort levels aren't great, but then again I'm used to the gigantic H800 ones.

Massdrop won't even reply to my requests to refund my Purplehearts, terrible.

HiResDes

been rocking k550s for a couple years now, but they are starting to show their age unfortunately. ripped earcups and headband and such.

I'm looking at sticking with AKG (really love the brand tbh) but I'm not really sure what I'd feel is in upgrade. I love how light the 550s feel on my head--I can listen for hours without a single problem. And the soundstage is probably my favorite part... I'm looking at the 701s right now, but I feel like I might not hear that much of an improvement over my 550s. I mean, I paid $200 for this pair (same price as the 701s are currently) about 5 years ago (it's already been 5 years since I asked this thread for advice on headphones??) Checking AKG's website and it doesn't look like they're even supporting their over-ear lines that heavily right now. Most of the models seem like simple variants of the 550s. This leads me here-- what do you guys think is a good upgrade for me? I'm willing to look outside brand if I can find a nice pair of comfortable, open-back headphones with a huge soundstage.

Additionally, I'd need amp recommendations. My budget for the headphones and the amp together is probably between $400-$500. Not trying to break the bank. Cheaper options are welcome too. Apologies for not perusing the thread for more information and just asking straight up.

sidenote--any nice soundcard suggestions? Are they even worth it? I just built a PC but I've never thought about actually using a soundcard until now. thanks for any help.
If you're willing to go open and want to stick with AKG, I'd go with the K712Pro, as the increased bass response helps them a lot with flexibility and they're even more comfortable.

Top Bottom