• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

What's the used prices for hd800?

Like new condition you can find around $700-750, sometimes you have to negotiate those prices. Like the other poster said, you can find beaters for as low as $550 rarely, but again, negotiate.

Brand new they are consistently about $1k. Sometimes focus camera has them for $900 new, but they are not an authorized dealer.

FoxSpirit

Am I the only one on the net who doesn't like the HD-650 on pure gear? I mean, out of a tube or some bass bodied gear they are fine, but ODAC+O2 or my phone or studio gear they sound pretty thin. Even bass boosting doesn't help, there is no body to the whole thing.

Loving my MDR-MA900 so much more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm yeah, I don't think a lot of us here play around with bluetooth earphones.

They definitely seem the most reputable.

Though I've been meaning to pick up some of westone's mmcx bluetooth cables to convert my IEMs to bluetooth.

Anyone used a Schiit Fulla with a portable system? I'd like to use better headphones with my vita or 3DS but I can hardly get any volume out of them.

LQX

E-MU Teak Headphones w/ Removable Cable finally available at Massdrop but it is limited to 200 units. $515
MD-27842_20161102102613_1af061ffc912c49c.jpg
MD-27842_20161102102614_4ec8af5b6a895b88.jpg
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones?referer=7GA828

Kudo

Tried listening to HD555 (foam mod) and they really help to kill the urge to order HD6XX.
I kinda want em for that sound stage but I have a feeling they won't live up to my expectations coming from TH-X00.
The jumps from HD555 -> DT770/600 & ATH-M50x -> TH-X00 all were like day and night, so if they're anything like earlier Sennheisers I've had listen to, I guess they're not headphones for me?
Damn sexy looking though..

LQX

Tried listening to HD555 (foam mod) and they really help to kill the urge to order HD6XX.
I kinda want em for that sound stage but I have a feeling they won't live up to my expectations coming from TH-X00.
The jumps from HD555 -> DT770/600 & ATH-M50x -> TH-X00 all were like day and night, so if they're anything like earlier Sennheisers I've had listen to, I guess they're not headphones for me?
Damn sexy looking though..
Listening to the TH-X00 and HD650/600 is also a night and day difference IMO especially in regards to bass. You wont get anything close to the TH-X00 on the 6XX. All around I much prefer the TH-X00.

Kudo

Listening to the TH-X00 and HD650/600 is also a night and day difference IMO especially in regards to bass. You wont get anything close to the TH-X00 on the 6XX. All around I much prefer the TH-X00.

That's what I thought, Sennheisers just sound so lifeless to me. Guess I'll be saving my money, thanks.

Antiwhippy

Now I'm a certified basshead but the HD600 is anything but lifeless. It has one of the more beautiful mid presentations that I've heard in a headphone. An aboslutely delight with vocals.

I was interested in the TH-X00 hearing that it emphasizes the bass and treble kinda got me disinterested. Emphasized bass is what I'm all about but the mids are an equally important aspect of music for me.

Damn I really want X00s, love my 600s. I wonder when they'll make them again.

Grab the EMU Teak on massdrop for $500. Stronger magnets and smoother presentation than the thx00 with detachable cables. See innerfidelity for a comparison.

Am I the only one on the net who doesn't like the HD-650 on pure gear? I mean, out of a tube or some bass bodied gear they are fine, but ODAC+O2 or my phone or studio gear they sound pretty thin. Even bass boosting doesn't help, there is no body to the whole thing.

Loving my MDR-MA900 so much more.

The O2 is not a very good pairing for the 650. If you want a SS amp for the 650 your much better off with an Asgard, Jot or an Audio-GD amp. The 650 has a habit of showing off your gear downstream. You get what you put into it.

HiResDes

I've only heard the 650 on my friend's setup with a upgraded Bottlehead Crack and it was phenomenal, but yeah not sure I'd like it as much out of a solid state.

I've only heard the 650 on my friend's setup with a upgraded Bottlehead Crack and it was phenomenal, but yeah not sure I'd like it as much out of a solid state.

The Jot is probably one of the only reasonably priced SS amps that really drive the 650 to its potential. I hear the Black Widow is really good with it too but that's quite a jump in price.

A simple Vali 2 is an awesome pairing.

The O2 is best when used with low Z dynamics and efficient orthos with a warm signature tilt.

Kudo

I've only had the pleasure to try HD600 from Valhalla 2 and it didn't impress me as much as Audeze LCD2 (listened to both at friends when he got the Audeze). Only listened to HD650 at non-optimal locations like in music store or during convention and neither time I was blown away but there was noise around me and they're open so those experiences amount to nothing in my mind.
Were I to get the HD6XX, guess I would also need to get better amp (ODAC+O2), the price is just so good it's not easy to rule them out even though I know I most definitely won't enjoy them as much as TH-X00.
Whatever, they're good purchase regardless at that price and most likely will be easy to sell if I don't like them.

Got my HD650s in the mail today, theyre real good. Clamping my head pretty hard right now though. Driving them with just a nuforce udac 2 right now, getting O2 dac+amp next week. After having 595s for 5 years its nice to get an upgrade.

LQX

Grab the EMU Teak on massdrop for $500. Stronger magnets and smoother presentation than the thx00 with detachable cables. See innerfidelity for a comparison.

The O2 is a terrible pairing for the 650. If you want a SS amp for the 650 your much better off with an Asgard, Jot or an Audio-GD amp. The 650 has a habit of showing off the limitations of your gear downstream. You get what you put into it.
I don't think its that terrible on the 02 but yeah these headphones can sounded remarkably different and better on different amps. One of the reasons I ended up selling my first HD650 is because did not think it was all that better than my HD598 on my Fiio or sound card but then I rebougt them for my Asgard 2 and what difference. I spent nearly two years listening to them on a shit source.

I don't think its that terrible on the 02 but yeah these headphones can sounded remarkably different and better on different amps. One of the reasons I ended up selling my first HD650 is because did not think it was all that better than my HD598 on my Fiio or sound card but then I rebougt them for my Asgard 2 and what difference. I spent nearly two years listening to them on a shit source.

I changed my wording so as not to come off too harsh on the O2, it really is a decent pairing for some headphones. High Z dynamics are not those headphones.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Of the 2 drops currently running, would you guys go HD650, or the AKG 7XX?

The latter only has 14 hours left.
I've only had the pleasure to try HD600 from Valhalla 2 and it didn't impress me as much as Audeze LCD2 .

Should they impress you as much, though? I mean, the LCD2 launched in an entirely different price bracket.

LQX

Should they impress you as much, though? I mean, the LCD2 launched in an entirely different price bracket.

I love the AKG 7XX sound-stage and comfort but I would go with the HD650 for that bump in bass.

What the heck, the O2 dac+amp is not a good pairing for the six-fiddys?

You will not be disappointed. The quality to cost ratio makes the O2+ODAC a beast and the HD650 sound great on them.

sirap

HD6XX all the way baby, especially at that price. My beaten up HD600 still holds its own against its bigger brother and some of my more exotic iems. Hell, i'd still be using them as my daily driver if I wasn't so spoiled by CA Vega's bass.

Depends but 95% of the time I'd recommend the 650(6xx in this case). The 650 will out resolve the k7xx by quite a margin and has a smoother/balanced tonality. The k7xx upper mid to lower treble transition could be smoother.

Also many consider the 650 to be quite a bit better than the LCD-2. The originals were really good but Audeze has screwed up there tuning over the years. Micro detailing and dynamics are severely lacking.

What the heck, the O2 dac+amp is not a good pairing for the six-fiddys?

It's not ideal, but it gets the job done. The ODAC dac is actually pretty nice for the price, but their are better amp pairing in the same price bracket as the O2. In the same price range I would highly recommend looking at a Modi 2 and Vali 2 or Vali 1. Maybe even an Audio GD combo like the nfb11. (Schiit will be cheaper though, shipping from China makes the nfb-11 a bit more costly)

Chittagong

Gold Member

500 cash monies, damn. Just at that border of impulse purchase and big headphone investment... Imma watch some Tyll videos now.

leng jai

$48.50 shipping to Australia, screw that.

So after everyone complained about shipping in the US it looks like overseas customers are getting screwed instead now.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm still holding out for a Massdrop revival of the HE-400, slightly retuned to perfection. My paranoia keeps telling me it's right around the corner.

In other news, the phone I'm getting tomorrow, the LG V20, has a promotion where you get a free set of Beoplay H3s. Reviews say it's pretty neutral with light bass impact, a category with which my collection is utterly swamped, so I may just try to sell them unopened.

Reality says my curiosity will cause me to open the box.

The V20 is also supposed to have a pretty amazing, audiophile type DAC, so that will be interesting to try out. This Galaxy Note 7 has been pretty disappointing in that department, I expected much better from an $896 phone.

Xander51

I'm still holding out for a Massdrop revival of the HE-400, slightly retuned to perfection. My paranoia keeps telling me it's right around the corner.

In other news, the phone I'm getting tomorrow, the LG V20, has a promotion where you get a free set of Beoplay H3s. Reviews say it's pretty neutral with light bass impact, a category with which my collection is utterly swamped, so I may just try to sell them unopened.

Reality says my curiosity will cause me to open the box.

The V20 is also supposed to have a pretty amazing, audiophile type DAC, so that will be interesting to try out. This Galaxy Note 7 has been pretty disappointing in that department, I expected much better from an $896 phone.

You should probably return your Note 7 if you haven't already.

Has anyone heard the Audio-Technica WS1100? Thinking about picking one up to be my bass-heavy headphone, and I really dig the MSR7 which it seems to share a form factor with.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ordered the E-MU Teaks. I absolutely love my TH-600s, so watching Tyll speak about these pushed me over the edge.

Anyone in UK want to buy my TH-600s and a bit banged up Magni 2 / Modi Uber stack? :)

Antiwhippy

My heart is set on the focal elear (at least until I've auditioned it) so I'll be skipping these drops.

Lots of good audio deals nowadays though.

Ordered the E-MU Teaks. I absolutely love my TH-600s, so watching Tyll speak about these pushed me over the edge.

Anyone in UK want to buy my TH-600s and a bit banged up Magni 2 / Modi Uber stack? :)

Nice! Which cups did you go with?

My heart is set on the focal elear (at least until I've auditioned it) so I'll be skipping these drops.

Lots of good audio deals nowadays though.

Definitely try before you buy. I thought they would be perfect for me but ended up very disappointed. The sound signature is definitely something I should enjoy, but it had a couple FR issues that I couldn't get passed due to my musical preferences.

Still great headphones and a relative bargain compared to the onslaught of overpriced planars, just not for me.

z3phon

Need advice on how I can achieve virtual surround sound for PC (or is it even necessary)
I'm playing BF1 on pc and would like to improve my experience more if possible.
I've got the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and JDS Labs Objective 2 + ODAC. I have the astro mixamp pro but when I use that with my current setup I hear a light buzzing noise in the background which is very annoying. Is there any other hardware like the mixamp pro I could use instead and hows the razer surround software?

Xander51

Need advice on how I can achieve virtual surround sound for PC (or is it even necessary)
I'm playing BF1 on pc and would like to improve my experience more if possible.
I've got the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and JDS Labs Objective 2 + ODAC. I have the astro mixamp pro but when I use that with my current setup I hear a light buzzing noise in the background which is very annoying. Is there any other hardware like the mixamp pro I could use instead and hows the razer surround software?

I've had pretty positive experiences with the Razer Surround software myself. The basic non-pro version is free. Couldn't hurt to just give it a look, no?

Brohan

I can get the Philips Fidelio X2's for 180 euros right now.
Is that a good buy or is there a chance of it being cheaper on black friday??

The X2's are pretty good headphones for gaming and music in general right?

Prelude.

Do you guys know any good replacement earpads for the Audio Technica M30?
The genuine ones are either out of stock or super expensive (and considering how long they last it's definitely not worth it) so I was looking into buying some other compatible ones.
All I'm finding is cheap chinese shit that claims to fit a dozen headphones.

I read that the Auray Deluxe velour pads are good but since I'm in Europe I'd probaly have to pay something close to the price of the M30X after shipping and customs.

Xander51

Do you guys know any good replacement earpads for the Audio Technica M30?
The genuine ones are either out of stock or super expensive (and considering how long they last it's definitely not worth it) so I was looking into buying some other compatible ones.
All I'm finding is cheap chinese shit that claims to fit a dozen headphones.

I read that the Auray Deluxe velour pads are good but since I'm in Europe I'd probaly have to pay something close to the price of the M30X after shipping and customs.

HM5 pads maybe? Always the go-to recommendation for aftermarket pad replacement. Think they fit fine on all the M-series models. Never used them myself, as the deep size is reported to change the sound a little bit and I like the AT house sound.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Servbot24

Banned
Woah, that 6XX is in impulse buy territory. any opinion on whether it's worth it if I currently use HiFi-Man 400i? 6XX would be a compliment, not replacement.

Prelude.

HM5 pads maybe? Always the go-to recommendation for aftermarket pad replacement. Think they fit fine on all the M-series models. Never used them myself, as the deep size is reported to change the sound a little bit and I like the AT house sound.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I never owned velour pads, I'm not sure if I should go for that or the regular ones.

But yeah, these seem quite big since they surround the ear completely so the sound will most likely change.

Do you guys know if a standard 60hz monitor (ASUS, specifically) would be enough to power/amplify Sennheiser 598s? I've been googling and searching, but no avail for this specific set up. My ATH-M50s work fine but it seems that the ohm requirement is much lower (I believe its 32?).

This is mainly for a console setup so I'm not sure if I would have to use an external power source to power an amp and I don't really want to spend an additional $50+ unless if it's absolutely necessary/worth it. I already have a firewire audio interface for my PC (doubt this would work on console, ha).

I'm mainly looking for budget, comfortable headphones that I can use for general listening/gaming and music mixing. The AKG 701s were highly praised but I don't want to mod the headpiece due to it making dents on your head/uncomfortable. Beyerdyamnics DT 880s also seem nice but require an amp. Budget would ideally be around $100 (usual price of 598s on sale) but I'm willing to spend $150, $200 if it's a great deal.

I've been mostly digging through the head-fi forums but if anyone would care to give me suggestions/help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Woah, that 6XX is in impulse buy territory. any opinion on whether it's worth it if I currently use HiFi-Man 400i? 6XX would be a compliment, not replacement.

Considering, outside of bass extension, the 400i is a downgrade from a decently amped 650, I'd say go for it if you got the equipment for it.

Mmk, I've got the Modi 2 + Magni 2. Might have to research how that fares.

It's a nice affordable setup. Will have no problems powering the 650/6xx. The nice thing about the Senns is they will grow along with your gear if you ever decide to improve your upstream equipment.

Top Bottom