• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Brohan

I think i'm going for the Sennheiser HD598 SE since they are an awesome price on amazon.it right now.

Now i just need to find a place to get a version of the astro mixamp for a nice price here in the EU... was hoping someone might know a place?

These will be my first open ear headphones and my second headphones in general.
I currently have the Sony MDR 1R closed headphones that i got with my Z1 a few years back and am kind of curious how much of a step up the Sennheisers will be.

Can't wait. :)

HiResDes

Holy shit, I just encountered a whole group of batshit insane audiophile elitists, like I really didn't know they could get so testy:

]
lkEkAbB.png

matmanx1

I've learned a lot in the last 24 hours of reading and watching reviews. It turns out that I am actually really sensitive to clamping pressure (I just learned that this was a thing) and was able to narrow my search accordingly.

Enter the Sony MDR-MA900's. Thanks to the Mad Lust Envy thread over on Head-fi I found about how comfortable and easy to wear they are and after watching and reading a bunch more reviews I just pressed the "buy" button on Amazon.

The only downside is that they are a Japan Import and discontinued as well. They used to retail for about $200 but prices have gone up lately. My price for a new pair shipped from JP ended up being about $270, which was at the upper end of my budget range.

Still, if they work as well for me as they have for others in terms of comfort and sound quality then that will be money well spent.

Anyone messed with a mod mic on a set of sennheiser open cans? Does the actual mic piece that you glue onto the headsets make any difference in sound quality?

Xander51

I think i'm going for the Sennheiser HD598 SE since they are an awesome price on amazon.it right now.

Now i just need to find a place to get a version of the astro mixamp for a nice price here in the EU... was hoping someone might know a place?

These will be my first open ear headphones and my second headphones in general.
I currently have the Sony MDR 1R closed headphones that i got with my Z1 a few years back and am kind of curious how much of a step up the Sennheisers will be.

Can't wait. :)

The 1R was not a bad headphone at all. You'll probably notice more soundstage and less bass with the 598SE, but I'm guessing the overall quality will feel like it's in the same ballpark.

matmanx1

I love mine, recommend them so much and no one ever listens that I just stopped lol

You have a pair of MA-900's? Awesome! Seems like folks who like them really, really, really like them. I'm encouraged by all the good reviews and can't wait to get them.

I'm in the midst of building out / putting together a new PC gaming "nook" in my entertainment room and the headphones were the 1 piece of the puzzle that I was sweating over the most because of the painful issues I've had with past sets (mostly Seinheiser) . Now that I've got that figured out I can go on to chair, desk, etc.

Thanks for the help, Gaf, I appreciate it.

M_to_P

Got my pair of KEF M100 in today, so far i'm loving them. Great, balanced sound that i was looking for and a nice minimalistic design.

Need to get me some comply foam now..

Brohan

The 1R was not a bad headphone at all. You'll probably notice more soundstage and less bass with the 598SE, but I'm guessing the overall quality will feel like it's in the same ballpark.

This kinda makes me think i'm looking for a bigger step up.

Looking at the philips fidelio x1 and x2.

I have found only 1 place (amazon.fr) that still sells the x1s and it's actually cheaper than the x2s but it is being sold by a third party through amazon and dunno how trustworthy it is (plus i can't speak French so if any problems arise it is gonna be tough returning them).

Could anyone from France or anyone with some more experience with buying from amazon take a look for me and tell me if it would be safe to buy?? ( https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B008ZW2T7M/)

Any help would be appreciated.

So I've had the Campfire Vega in for the last 2 days and I think they sound absolutely awesome... post mod. Seriously, what is up with these awesome dynamic phones being hamstrung by gobs of bass and peaky treble? Anyway, these are absolute fucking bass canons in stock form as you'd have no reason to believe that these sound best with a loose fit and unless you're using foamies the spike at 7.5 kHz can be problematic, but after applying James444's front vent mod to attenuate the deep/sub bass and tamping down the treble with two strips of gauze, these sound not far off from Campfire's Andromeda but with an appreciable degree of body/slam and DD timbre as an added bonus. Absolutely hilarious that they couldn't achieve this tuning in stock form when asking for $1,300 USD :l

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, it sounds like my cup of tea. :p

I'm kind of in the market for a successor to the asg2.5. Either the vega or the empire ears savage 9 is up for consideration.

I dunno, it sounds like my cup of tea. :p

I'm kind of in the market for a successor to the asg2.5. Either the vega or the empire ears savage 9 is up for consideration.

Dude there is so much fuckin bass it absolutely can wreck the clarity of the phone, and impair the tone of instruments, rendering them notably darker than they ought to be, after modding, it easily keeps pace with something like uerm or Andro. The balance after the fact has plenty of bass, it's not a thin phone after modding at all, it's just that you can hear the mids and treble as well LOL.

I think post mod, it's a far better phone than the ocharaku stuff, there isn't that disparity in weight between bass, mids and treble there. It just plain sounds more natural to me. If you get to audition one, see if you can't take a few minutes to install the J444 mod or try a loose fit. I've found spiral dots work really good for me.

Antiwhippy

I mean I don't love the ocharaku sound, so that's good haha.

Definitely going to give it an audition once the shop gets it in. Not sure if they would appreciate me modding the demo units. :p I'll bring my spiral dots along though.

I dunno though, I've been enjoying my savanna and its flattish, mid-focused sound, but I still want my high end iem that can just wreck me with bass. Like, absolutely wreck me with bass.

The mod is absolutely simple and isn't permanent LOL:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329

It basically simulates a leaky seal so that it attenuates deep/sub bass but doesn't affect low end extension (much). I've used it to great success with quite a few bassier dynamic phones to attenuate bass quantity while preserving low end extension/authority. Not sure if these would absolutely wreck you with bass, but it's got a hefty 10-12 dB boost below 200 hz. over Andro from a low Z source with a deep fit so... yeah LOL It's pretty fuckin bassy.

I honestly don't mind bass or anything, but there aren't too many sets that can dish out an exaggerated amount of dBs without it affecting what's above it.

Antiwhippy

Huh, alright Including the straw bit?

Still, while I really want to give the vega a listen, I'm kinda skittish about buying anything MMCX based nowadays. Plus I'm getting kinda enamoured with customs. Which is why I'm kinda interested in the savage 9 also.

Nah, no straw bit. That's a mod that plays with back venting that's unique to the FX850.

I usually find MMCX to be balls too, but Campfire's is proprietary or something. It's a much more robust mechanical connector (it's quite a bit more difficult to disconnect the phones vs. your run of the mill MMCX sets IME). I dunno, I'm definitely not sweating it or anything.

I think I'm done with customs. I love the fit, but I've had two annoying experiences with having to whittle down excess acrylic myself on my ES5 and UERM so no thanks lol. That and I've come to prefer dynamic set over the years for their tone and body, and those typically can't be had in custom form anyway due to the need for venting

Antiwhippy

There are definitely are dynamic customs. I have a hybrid custom which is kinda... ok. Nothing midblowing, but it's alright for the price.

But yeah, my love for the dynamic is making me lean vega in a way. I really like how clean the savannas are but there's nothing quite like DD timbre.

HiResDes

You have a pair of MA-900's? Awesome! Seems like folks who like them really, really, really like them. I'm encouraged by all the good reviews and can't wait to get them.

I'm in the midst of building out / putting together a new PC gaming "nook" in my entertainment room and the headphones were the 1 piece of the puzzle that I was sweating over the most because of the painful issues I've had with past sets (mostly Seinheiser) . Now that I've got that figured out I can go on to chair, desk, etc.

Thanks for the help, Gaf, I appreciate it.
Yeah they're so light on your head and balanced sounding. Vocals are great in them, soundstage never sounds artificial yet is quite expansive nonetheless. Just enough bass in most situations. Treble never offensive. They're not the end all in detail but I've never been a detail fanatic.

LQX

A Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX collaboration is coming Tuesday.

The Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones will be available for $199.99 at the lowest drop point with free domestic shipping starting November 8th at 6 a.m. PT.

This drop is limited to 5,000 units. The first 500 purchasers will receive a pair of headphones with a serial number under 550. Domestic orders are expected to arrive by December 25th.

Refreshed Aesthetic, Improved Utility

Crafted with the modern audiophile in mind, the HD 6XX replaces the HD 650’s gray colorway with something darker and more dramatic: a deep midnight blue. The silver nameplates have been swapped for black plates with contrasting silver text—and the Massdrop logo is silk-screened on the inside of the headband, just above the right cup, with the serial number located just above the left cup. Based on feedback from the community, this iteration has also been updated with a detachable 6-foot cable (compared to the original’s 10-foot cable) and a ⅛-inch plug, which is more versatile for everyday laptop, phone, and DAP use than the standard ¼-inch plug. Of course, the HD 6XX comes with a ¼-inch adapter for those who want it.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?referer=7GA828

NotSelf

Cool I had the 600 and and 650 on my wish list for a couple of years just waiting for the price to drop I guess this makes my decision allot easier.

sakyot

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out where to start,

I have Gamecom 780 which while they are not bad, they are shitty gaming headset.
I wanna go deeper.

Here are my options, forget the budget, I wanna buy in black friday on amazon, I hopefully don't wanna waste more than 150€ (on the headphone only)...but it all depends if it justifies and the sale I get.

I want open back headphones, over the ear, 70% gaming and 30% music.

Here are the options they seem to fit best, ignoring budget:
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Headphones
Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250
Philips X2/27 Fidelio Premium Headphones, Black

What is to note is that I will be buying the DAC/AMP
FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier (Black)

This is my first setup for real headphones experience.
I hope you can help me decide.

Obviously you guys will think the Fidelio x2 is the best, but it's way more expensive than the other 3 options.

So, if fidelio x2 goes on a good sale, I will pick it.
If not, I gotta choose one of the others.

Any other options you would recommend?
Thanks.

Edit: last but not least, any recommended mic set for these headphones?
I'm thinking modmic unidirectional :p

Anyone?

Brohan

Seems we are looking at the exact same headphones.

At first i thought i wanted the 598's but then i heard they were very light on bass..

Then i looked at the DT990's which might be the sound that i am looking for but i hate that it doesn't have detachable cables and it requires more juice (i don't have an amp yet) which would crank up the price aswell.

Now i'm looking at the X2's and they seem like the cans i'm looking for (no amp required, detachable cables, good bass and soundstage) but they are about 100 euros more than i was actually looking to spend... so i'm kind of stuck at the moment.

First world problems i guess.

leng jai

Incredible. How big is the gap to HD800s? Because supposedly TH900 > THX00 > TH600, and some even prefer THX00 to TH900

I'm kinda tempted by HD800s, but not > $1K tempted

Massive difference really, they have a completely different sound signature and tonal balance for starters. The HD800 is also significantly more comfortable.

It's not like the Fostex situation where they all sound really similar.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Massive difference really, they have a completely different sound signature and tonal balance for starters. The HD800 is also significantly more comfortable.

It's not like the Fostex situation where the all sound really similar.

$199 saved by this one weird trick then

Phew.

leng jai

Eh, a lot of people tend to say that... I don't know. 800 is a truly amazing headphone.

Not to mention the fact that people prefer the 600s to the 650s due to a shift in tonal balance.

I'm sure a lot of people who say it haven't actually spent much time with the HD800 in the first place. They just base it on things they read online about it, such as no bass and being ultra bright.

sakyot

Seems we are looking at the exact same headphones.

At first i thought i wanted the 598's but then i heard they were very light on bass..

Then i looked at the DT990's which might be the sound that i am looking for but i hate that it doesn't have detachable cables and it requires more juice (i don't have an amp yet) which would crank up the price aswell.

Now i'm looking at the X2's and they seem like the cans i'm looking for (no amp required, detachable cables, good bass and soundstage) but they are about 100 euros more than i was actually looking to spend... so i'm kind of stuck at the moment.

First world problems i guess.

Yeah, I don't really mind low bass to be honest, if I want good bass I rather use my speakers.
Headphones would be more for overall quality sound for general music and competitive gaming.
This being said, obviously x2 would be awesome, both of 2 worlds, but the price yack.

If the price goes low enough on amazon I'll try to pick it with fiio e10k, else I will stick with 598, think its the best option for me.

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD201's for a fair while now, mainly just to watch movies/game late at night with. I'm definitely not an audiophile by any means, so I am looking at some good budget options to replace the 201's I broke. Im thinking the HD202 is an obvious option, but at my local JB Hi-Fi they have the Sony MDRZX110NC on sale for just $10 more ($89 AUD compared to $79 for the HD202). I mean of course I could just get another paid of HD201's for $44 AUD, but if im going to have to buy a new pair I figured i'd make them a little bit better. Does anyone have any recommendations around that ~$70-80AUD range? They need to be closed/over the head headphones.

This is the store I would be going to FYI https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/headphones/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Amazing price, but I'm knee deep in neutral-ish gear.
Not to mention the fact that people prefer the 600s to the 650s due to a shift in tonal balance..

I see that a lot. Is it a legit view, from a technical standpoint?

I also have seen opinions that the 598 is the best of the three. Thought?

Antiwhippy

Honestly kinda tempted too but that more just me being an idiot when it comes to audio.

I'll hold strong with my hd600 and it's 70's kitchen aesthetic.

LQX

Yeah, I'm jumping on these and I literately have a HD650 right in front of me. I have sold and re-bought them no less than 3 times and this is the cheapest I have ever seen them even with rebates and gift certificates. They will probably sit on my shelf but they are steal at this price with new color variant. Will most likely sell my current pair if indeed they are exactly the same outside of color.

Speaking of the price, I'm surprised Sennheiser would let Massdrop get away with pricing them this low as it this has the potential to tank the sales of the HD6XX series or even the latest edition of their other headphones like the HD 599. Only 5000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things but EBay and audio forums can absolutely influence pricing with many reselling the same thing.

I'll probably pick up the hd6xx even though I already have the 600 and 650. It's blue and I'll mod the hell out of it.

Seriously though, this is the biggest bargain in headphones right now. Hard to believe we could see these on the used market for $150 soon. A 650. At $150. Imagine that. Makes many of the higher priced planars just seem even more silly than they already were.

Incredible. How big is the gap to HD800s? Because supposedly TH900 > THX00 > TH600, and some even prefer THX00 to TH900

I'm kinda tempted by HD800s, but not > $1K tempted

Many consider the 650 a better headphone due to tonal preferences. They really are different. I have both and use both for different types of music. Used prices on an hd800 are silly good these days. Don't bother with the S model unless you got the extra cash laying around. The SDR mod on the original 800 essentially makes it an 800S minus the extra bass distortion that Sennheiser introduced in the S model.

I think many prefer the thx00 to the th900. Much more balanced and refined headphone overall.

Totakeke

I'll probably pick up the hd6xx even though I already have the 600 and 650. It's blue and I'll mod the hell out of it.

Seriously though, this is the biggest bargain in headphones right now. Hard to believe we could see these on the used market for $150 soon. A 650. At $150. Imagine that. Makes many of the higher priced planars just seem even more silly than they already were.

Many consider the 650 a better headphone due to tonal preferences. They really are different. I have both and use both for different types of music. Used prices on an hd800 are silly good these days. Don't bother with the S model unless you got the extra cash laying around. The SDR mod on the original 800 essentially makes it an 800S minus the extra bass distortion that Sennheiser introduced in the S model.

I think many prefer the thx00 to the th900. Much more balanced and refined headphone overall.

What's the used prices for hd800?

Tommy DJ

I see that a lot. Is it a legit view, from a technical standpoint?

I also have seen opinions that the 598 is the best of the three. Thought?

People who think the HD598 is the best are deaf, sorry to say. The old dynamic Sennheisers are pretty wooly in the bass department and the HD598 is the worst of the three.

The HD600 is essentially the same as the HD650. Maybe better channel matching in the bass department. Most of the differences in sound is enclosure related from memory.

Just like the AKG KXX, this is how much Sennheiser should be selling these headphones for.

Top Bottom