• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Creepy

Just got myself some V-MODA Crossfade =]

V-Moda-crossfade-2.jpg

matmanx1

Tyll doesn't really value technical proficiency or neutrality. He likes headphones that are good...it just so happens that headphones that aren't shit also have good fundamentals. Inner Fidelity consults/provides measurements in their reviews because they help the reader understand exactly what they are talking about and what his preferences are. Its a key reason why his reviews are mostly consistent, predictable and aren't often full of contradictions.

He's mentioned on a few forums that he hates Grado because (1) they sound terrible for someone with his preferences, (2) a good number of their products are low-fi with hi-fi prices (3) they put zero R&D money into producing better products despite obviously earning a decent amount. They're basically Monster-era Beats Audio for hipsters.

Ahh ok, thank you for the clarification. I am just getting my feet wet in all of this and still have a lot to learn. I appreciate the perspective. My adult life headphone experience basically breaks down into a 2013 pair of HD558's (that I sold due to the clamping pressure giving me headaches) and now two Sony products: 2014 MDR-EX650 B IEM's and the recent MA900 full size cans.

I love music and I'm having a blast rediscovering my collection with the MA900's but it's really opened a Pandora's box of curiosity about all those other wonderful cans on the market.

Just got myself some V-MODA Crossfade =]
Congrats! I hear amazing things about that set, especially for the price. Enjoy!

Xander51

just to add on the post above, the MSR7s are still on sale for $189 on Amazon

I couldn't resist at that price

Very nice! A great price for a great pair of headphones.

EDIT: I'm listening to a pair of Porta Pro's for the very first time, after hearing them recommended for the last million years. They're really amazing, holy crap.

jwk94

Headphone GAF, I may need help replacing my favorite pair of headphones.

So I got the FIL Diva headphones from Kickstarter two months ago. They feel good, have nice features, and sound great. Microphone wasn't working though. now I've returned them to get them fixed, but I kinda don't have much hope. So what are my options for a replacement headphone with the following features:
- MAX $200 USD
- Bluetooth
- Optional wired mode
- Noise canceling (must also have a mode that will let me hear my surroundings, if needed)
- Style similar to the FIL (flexible band, small form factor and easy portability)
- Take off headphones and it pauses music (i don't neeed this but it's a great feature to have)
- Microphone
- 20+ hours of battery life

Thanks for the help!

matmanx1

So this isn't really what I was expecting to do but I just joined the drop for the E-MU Purpleheart headphones over on Massdrop. They're only $75 so I felt like I wasn't taking too big of a risk on them.

Link: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-e-mu-purpleheart

Actually I did the same thing yesterday. I figured $75 for a well reviewed set of cans designed to be used on mobile devices was a pretty safe investment. I'll keep them in my backpack with my EX650 IEM's and use as needed. The only downside is the April 2017 ship date.

I really like the elears and might buy them based on further auditioning.

The Elears have been getting a lot of positive word of mouth and I'm pretty sure Tyll added them to his Wall of Fame recently. He loved them.

I'm not gonna lie, the gorgeous purpleheart wood on the sides of the cans is one of the biggest reasons I joined the drop. They could sound not even slightly better than my current headphones and I'll still be fine with it because they look so beautiful.

Have a pair of HD6XX headed my way in a few days. My source gear is an iPhone 7 Plus or my MSi laptop. I need to pick up an amp for sure and possibly a DAC as well. I've been all over the map from looking at a Schiit stack to considering a $600 Onkyo Android based DAP that can supposedly power 300 ohm cans. Preferably I'd like to buy from Amazon if I can because I'm going to end up with gift cards there for Christmas which will soften the blow on buying this stuff and because of their return policy should I need it. Schiit sells some of their stuff through Amazon even though it is marked up like $30. If anyone has a good suggestion I'm all ears. The setup I put the most consideration in to so far is a Schiit Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber since people always say that the HD6XX (HD650) pairs will with a tube amp.

Kudo

Need to get this off my chest but I hate the cable in TH-X00, and I'd use swear words here to illustrate how much I do hate it.
I don't know who the genius was who thought having the part where left-right cable connects in the middle to be protected by such huge plastic cube that it gets stuck in each and every edge, and to top that the cable probably weighs 3 times what the headphone itself.

matmanx1

I'm not gonna lie, the gorgeous purpleheart wood on the sides of the cans is one of the biggest reasons I joined the drop. They could sound not even slightly better than my current headphones and I'll still be fine with it because they look so beautiful.

Yeah the looks are premium considering the low price. I considered that aspect but then went and read a bunch of stuff on Inner Fidelity and elsewhere and the Purpleheart's seem well regarded in the sound department which is what sealed the deal for me. Now for the wait. =(

matmanx1

So it turns out that not only is positioning of the headphone on the head important for best sound, so is the equipment driving it. Now that might sound like a big "well duh" statement but raise your hand if you would have picked my Onkyo receiver to be a worse choice for driving my MA900's than my PC's on-board sound. Anyone?

To be fair, my motherboard is an Asus Pro Gamer board which has a fairly nice on-board sound setup based on their Xonar setup but still, the receiver should be winning this one hands down. But it doesn't!

Plugged into the Onkyo the MA900's sound rather flat unless you turn the volume up to ear damaging levels, which is not ok. Plugged directly into the line-out on my motherboard the MA900's all of a sudden have a ton more detail and character at a much, much lower volume level. Vocals are better, resolution is better, mids are hugely improved.

I really can't say I understand why the Onkyo sucks most of the life out of the MA900's but I am glad I have a second option that works nicely. Lesson learned. I will no longer assume that just because something should drive a particular headphone better that it automatically will.

LQX

Got my Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX today and man these things are beautiful in person. I much prefer the look of them over my original which I will be selling soon. Some are raising hell about the cables length but I sort of prefer them short as these will stay on my desk.

Also, numbering these was so damn ridiculous. The AKG K7XX actually designed in a placement for the numbering scheme on the headband. These just have a plain stupid sticker which will peel off in a few months once the weather gets warmer.

Have a pair of HD6XX headed my way in a few days. My source gear is an iPhone 7 Plus or my MSi laptop. I need to pick up an amp for sure and possibly a DAC as well. I've been all over the map from looking at a Schiit stack to considering a $600 Onkyo Android based DAP that can supposedly power 300 ohm cans. Preferably I'd like to buy from Amazon if I can because I'm going to end up with gift cards there for Christmas which will soften the blow on buying this stuff and because of their return policy should I need it. Schiit sells some of their stuff through Amazon even though it is marked up like $30. If anyone has a good suggestion I'm all ears. The setup I put the most consideration in to so far is a Schiit Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber since people always say that the HD6XX (HD650) pairs will with a tube amp.

Many are saying the Schiit Jotunheim is the HD650's new best friend as they pair extremely well.

I would drop the money on a Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack before spending that kind of money on a DAP. Particularly as Android based DAPs are not without their issues.

If you don't need the probability, stick to a desktop solution.

I use my 650 with a DNA Sonett now, but I still have the Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack and the synergy with the 650 is really good. It pairs well with the Jotunheim if you prefer solid state, but I preferred the Vali 2 personally.

ty_hot

Hey guys, one question related to the PS4.

I did some research and it seems that we can plug any USB DAC and the console will recognize it normally and start outputting audio through it (I believe this happened since sony released those Playstation headphones). So, right now I listen to my audio through HDMI to my monitor and then 3.5mm to a bluetooth speaker (ofc, not using the bluetooth connectivity. Problem is the speaker is not really loud (the monitor doesnt output much power probably, because it IS loud when paired via bluetooth).

If I would buy this Zorloo ZuperDAC (which has an AMP integrated as well) would I reach higher volumes in the speaker? And how would I control the volume? Through the PS4 system itself?

In my house we also have 2 good headphones/earphones that I could use sometimes with it as well (getting a better sound quality that the speaker will never have), so that would also be a plus.

Here is the massdropfor Zoorlo ending later today:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zorloo-zuperdac

matmanx1

Hey guys, one question related to the PS4.

I did some research and it seems that we can plug any USB DAC and the console will recognize it normally and start outputting audio through it (I believe this happened since sony released those Playstation headphones). So, right now I listen to my audio through HDMI to my monitor and then 3.5mm to a bluetooth speaker (ofc, not using the bluetooth connectivity. Problem is the speaker is not really loud (the monitor doesnt output much power probably, because it IS loud when paired via bluetooth).

If I would buy this Zorloo ZuperDAC (which has an AMP integrated as well) would I reach higher volumes in the speaker? And how would I control the volume? Through the PS4 system itself?

In my house we also have 2 good headphones/earphones that I could use sometimes with it as well (getting a better sound quality that the speaker will never have), so that would also be a plus.

Here is the massdropfor Zoorlo ending later today:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zorloo-zuperdac

Yes, my understanding is that by adding that device with the integrated amp you would be pushing out more power to the speaker which should easily result in a higher volume (and most likely a better sound as well). Volume control will be an issue as I don't think there's any way to adjust the source volume coming from the PS4. In that case you may want to step up to a DAC/Amp combo that has an adjustable volume control.

Xander51

Also ty_hot, I'd check for more reports that the specific DAC you want to get will work with the PS4. It doesn't work with absolutely everything. Some don't actually get recognized properly. A few posts back, someone said the new Schiit Fulla had reversed stereo channels for instance. I've got two portables kicking around here: The SoundBlaster E1, and G5. The G5 works perfectly, the E1 doesn't work at all. Make sure you can return the item, just in case!

Matmanx1 is correct that having a volume knob helps.

Finally, are you listening out of a mono bluetooth speaker? That's...that's very impressive. I couldn't go back to mono. A small set of stereo speakers might do you wonders.

Got my Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX today and man these things are beautiful in person. I much prefer the look of them over my original which I will be selling soon. Some are raising hell about the cables length but I sort of prefer them short as these will stay on my desk.

Also, numbering these was so damn ridiculous. The AKG K7XX actually designed in a placement for the numbering scheme on the headband. These just have a plain stupid sticker which will peel off in a few months once the weather gets warmer.

Many are saying the Schiit Jotunheim is the HD650's new best friend as they pair extremely well.

After reading up on it, it does sound like people really like this pairing especially for a solid state amp.

I would drop the money on a Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack before spending that kind of money on a DAP. Particularly as Android based DAPs are not without their issues.

If you don't need the probability, stick to a desktop solution.

I use my 650 with a DNA Sonett now, but I still have the Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack and the synergy with the 650 is really good. It pairs well with the Jotunheim if you prefer solid state, but I preferred the Vali 2 personally.

Thanks. This is a combo I'm definitely looking into. I really don't need portability at all as I have headphones for on the go. This will be my at home, desktop setup. It is also my end game for my home setup so I want to buy a quality amp/DAC setup which of course most of the Schiit stuff is. Seem to me that besides the difference between the Vali 2 being a tube amp and the Jotunheim being SS is that the Jot can do a balanced output should I decide to get a balanced cable for the HD6XX. Is this something that is even worth factoring into my decision?

Tommy DJ

I really can't say I understand why the Onkyo sucks most of the life out of the MA900's but I am glad I have a second option that works nicely. Lesson learned. I will no longer assume that just because something should drive a particular headphone better that it automatically will.

Output impedance + gain stages are the issue here.

After reading up on it, it does sound like people really like this pairing especially for a solid state amp.

Thanks. This is a combo I'm definitely looking into. I really don't need portability at all as I have headphones for on the go. This will be my at home, desktop setup. It is also my end game for my home setup so I want to buy a quality amp/DAC setup which of course most of the Schiit stuff is. Seem to me that besides the difference between the Vali 2 being a tube amp and the Jotunheim being SS is that the Jot can do a balanced output should I decide to get a balanced cable for the HD6XX. Is this something that is even worth factoring into my decision?

If you get a Jot, definitely get a balanced cable. As for specific benefits of balanced vs single ended amps? Not really. More power on tap most of the time, but it's not like you need that extra power. I prefer the Vali 2 due to the bit of treble glare the Jot introduced. The Jot is a very forward and aggressive amp, I prefer a smoother presentation.

If you get a Jot, definitely get a balanced cable. As for specific benefits of balanced vs single ended amps? Not really. More power on tap most of the time, but it's not like you need that extra power. I prefer the Vali 2 due to the bit of treble glare the Jot introduced. The Jot is a very forward and aggressive amp, I prefer a smoother presentation.

Thanks again for all the info. One more question only because it's in the same ball park (sort of) price wise. The Chord Mojo. Again I don't need portability, but it is an amp/DAC combo and I've always heard good things about it. Still leaning towards the Vali 2/Modi MB combo, just trying to do my due diligence.

ty_hot

Also ty_hot, I'd check for more reports that the specific DAC you want to get will work with the PS4. It doesn't work with absolutely everything. Some don't actually get recognized properly. A few posts back, someone said the new Schiit Fulla had reversed stereo channels for instance. I've got two portables kicking around here: The SoundBlaster E1, and G5. The G5 works perfectly, the E1 doesn't work at all. Make sure you can return the item, just in case!

Matmanx1 is correct that having a volume knob helps.

Finally, are you listening out of a mono bluetooth speaker? That's...that's very impressive. I couldn't go back to mono. A small set of stereo speakers might do you wonders.

Yeah I will check those things as well, thanks for your answer.

It's a stereo speaker, but as it's small it doesnt really have any 'stereo effect' the R and L speakers are probably 10-15cm from each other lol. I play on a 24'' 1080p monitor and using this speaker because it was the cheapest decent set I could find to use here because I wont live here long enough to invest in a big screen and proper set. In 2 years I am coming back to Brazil from Spain so I would lose lots of money selling a used TV... with my setup I can just sell my monitor and lose a few euros and take the bluetooth speaker with me. :)

When I left Brazil I bought a 4k tv for my parents and they also have my 5.1 setup in there, much better than what I have here :p but it's ok, I am happy with what I have. I will not rush and research more about a good DAC to get.

matmanx1

Ok, I just learned about the 1/8th rule of output impedance. No wonder the Onkyo's couldn't do anything with the 12ohm MA900's.

Thanks again for all the info. One more question only because it's in the same ball park (sort of) price wise. The Chord Mojo. Again I don't need portability, but it is an amp/DAC combo and I've always heard good things about it. Still leaning towards the Vali 2/Modi MB combo, just trying to do my due diligence.

I would still go with the Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack. The mojo has some good value for a printable, but it is still outclassed by sililar price desktop solutions.

Honestly, Schiit is just really making it hard to recommend anything else in the sub $500 desktop space market.

I would still go with the Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack. The mojo has some good value for a printable, but it is still outclassed by sililar price desktop solutions.

Honestly, Schiit is just really making it hard to recommend anything else in the sub $500 desktop space market.

Thank you! Looks like I'll be purchasing a Vali 2 and Modi Multibit after Christmas.

Xander51

After watching Metal571's review, I decided to take a chance on the Sennheiser 598Cs.

I was curious about the new 569's, and I'm more than happy to pay less for a slightly different-looking version of them. It seems they share drivers, pads, and sound signature. The 598Cs is on sale again for $99 on Amazon, whereas the 569 is going for $179.

I know it has been a polarizing headphone. Metal571 said the upper mids have a little too much energy for him, and that sounds right up my alley.

matmanx1

Looks like I'll be letting my MA900's go to a new home. Using the on-board sound on my motherboard has shown me how good they can sound (very good indeed!) but bypassing my receiver and the available 5.1 setup that I have in place is not what I ultimately want to do.

I'm on the lookout for a 250 ohm or higher, over ear set to replace the MA900's and in the meantime it looks like I will be picking up a lightly used pair of Meze 99 Classics from a user over at Head-fi, just for fun.

I've heard the Meze 99 Classics are an extremely entertaining listen (and they sure are gorgeous) and I've been offered a very good deal on them so it won't be an expensive experience.

I just got the Bluetooth adapter for my ATH M50x.

Feels a little cheap and we'll see about battery life but it's working out pretty well right now. Music sounds like it has more bass too.

Edit: speak of the devil, my sister just got me those beats solo 3s. Man this is super bassy but the W1 is nice. Plus 40 hours of battery life? Wow

wihio

I received my HD6XXs a few days ago and am loving them so far. I got a Bottlehead Crack to go along with them and just finished building it yesterday. The two combined are epic. I am loving the sound coming from this amp! I have a couple tubes glowing next to me as we speak :)

The Bottlehead Crack was my first time ever soldering and I totally nailed it-- passed all voltage checks first try and I have been keeping the tubes warm for hours. I highly recommend this build to any of you new HD6XX owners. The combo is amazing and there is plenty of room to grow (many mods for the amp to change/improve sound).

andylsun

Is there a general consensus on headphones around the $100 price range? I'm considering the ATH-M50X for $120. Anything better out there at that price? I mainly listen to rap, hip hop, EDM/electronica, and gaming.

My only most have is a detachable cord.

Xander51

Is there a general consensus on headphones around the $100 price range? I'm considering the ATH-M50X for $120. Anything better out there at that price? I mainly listen to rap, hip hop, EDM/electronica, and gaming.

My only most have is a detachable cord.

I prefer the new Sennheiser HD 598Cs. Better sound, more comfy. It's an Amazon-exclusive. Still on sale for $99. Cable detaches. It has a remote and mic for phone/gaming chat use. Worth a look!

Any owners of the Sony MDRX10/RED Simon Cowell Edition? It's going for $100 right now.

I prefer the new Sennheiser HD 598Cs. Better sound, more comfy. It's an Amazon-exclusive. Still on sale for $99. Cable detaches. It has a remote and mic for phone/gaming chat use. Worth a look!
Looking into these!

Thinking of just ordering the MDR X10, M50x, and the 598Cs and just see which one I like the most.

Edit:
The Wirecutter recommends the Sony MDR 7506. I'm tempted, but it doesn't have a detachable cable.

HiResDes

Creative Aurvana Live for hip hop especially would be my recommendation.

Fuck Wirecutter.

Edit: Oh you said detachable cable maybe the M Audio Q40

sirap

Alright GAF, I've got an Amazon bonus coming in and I need some headphone recommendations.

Hit me up with the highest of high-end you can think of and an appropriate amp to drive them.

I'd get an Orpheus and call it a day but getting them shipped here (if that is even possible) seems like too much of a hassle. Malaysian customs suck donkey balls.

EDIT: Any sound signature is fine.

ty_hot

Headphone GAF, I may need help replacing my favorite pair of headphones.

So I got the FIL Diva headphones from Kickstarter two months ago. They feel good, have nice features, and sound great. Microphone wasn't working though. now I've returned them to get them fixed, but I kinda don't have much hope. So what are my options for a replacement headphone with the following features:
- MAX $200 USD
- Bluetooth
- Optional wired mode
- Noise canceling (must also have a mode that will let me hear my surroundings, if needed)
- Style similar to the FIL (flexible band, small form factor and easy portability)
- Take off headphones and it pauses music (i don't neeed this but it's a great feature to have)
- Microphone
- 20+ hours of battery life

Thanks for the help!
I have a Plantronics BackBeat Pro that has all those features and I love it. Its just not foldable, but comes with a nice carrying pouch.

I paid 150 euros in mine and they just released the second version, which should be in your price range and - they say - ia better in every aspect. I never tried but it definitely look cooler, specially for outdoor use.

Xander51

Does the mic work for Xbox/ps4 game chat? Mute switch?

It doesn't have a mute switch, but it is wired correctly to work on Xbox One and PS4. On Xbox this isn't as much of a problem because there's a mute switch in the UI. I have no idea why Sony never added this to the PS4 outside of the party chat mode.

Top Bottom