• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

Those Shures are $240 including free express shipping from Addicted to Audio.

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7s are $270 shipped from Store DJ or Wireless1 though they'd probably start throwing out discount coupons if you wait for Christmas or something.

Like they say, you just need to know where to shop.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I also saw sennheiser amperiors at $198 in jb hifi but that might depend on what your local store has.

Almost tempted to pick one up...

elfinke

Those Shures are $240 including free express shipping from Addicted to Audio.

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7s are $270 shipped from Store DJ or Wireless1 though they'd probably start throwing out discount coupons if you wait for Christmas or something.

Like they say, you just need to know where to shop.

I also saw sennheiser amperiors at $198 in jb hifi but that might depend on what your local store has.

Almost tempted to pick one up...

I'm very familiar with those shops, or at least their online presence. My nearest jb is over 120k away, last time I trundled in there their headphone section was lacking :/

At this point, like I said page prior, the MSR7s are among those on the watch list, pending a Christmas sale discount. I'm hoping OzB pulls through, I've got alerts setup for a few headphones on there! Thanks for the suggestions, the ones that are available all hit the mark, so I'll take a punt on one of them as a stocking stuffer.

Any opinions on whether Senn 650/600s are worth the sale prices if I already have HiFi Man 400i?

I'm in the exact opposite of your situation. I have an hd650 and kinda want to get the 400i since its on sale for $300.

A user on the last page said it wasn't worth it and that the 400i may actually be a little bit better, though I'm seeking further comparisons as I'd really like to try a planar.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm in the exact opposite of your situation. I have an hd650 and kinda want to get the 400i since its on sale for $300.

A user on the last page said it wasn't worth it and that the 400i may actually be a little bit better, though I'm seeking further comparisons as I'd really like to try a planar.

Yeah looking through some reviews it seems the 400i is generally favored in most areas. I'll save my money.

J. Bravo

I wanna get some headphones for my gf. Any good sales on black Friday? They don't have to be super nice, just comfy and easy to wear. Prefer actual headphones.not iems or whatever

I wanna get some headphones for my gf. Any good sales on black Friday? They don't have to be super nice, just comfy and easy to wear. Prefer actual headphones.not iems or whatever

1. How much you want to spend?

2. Open or closed? Open will leak sound, but will usually have a wider soundstage. Closed will leak less sound, and isolate her from surrounding noise.

torontoml

Quick question, in the last thread I had asked you guys for a very comfortable pair of in ear headphones, the quick consensus was these Zero Audio ones,

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0093VVP0Q/

Now although more comfortable than the set that came with my cell phone, they still start to be uncomfortable/hurt after +30 min, and they don't stay in well unless I don't move around much. I have changed out the ear pieces that came with it, the big ones don't stay in and the smaller ones hurt when the are in far enough to stay there.

Are my ears just not shaped for the in-ear style or does someone have a better suggestion for quality and comfortable ones.

Antiwhippy

Try using foam tips, especially ones that are waxed.

If foam tips aren't your style though try some spinfits. They bend so I find that they grab the inside of your ears better and the material they're made with are the most comfortable I've felt with a silicon earpiece.

Also you can try wearing it over the ear if you don't want it to move too much.

X-Frame

Will the FiiO E10K drive the HE-400i's?

I just picked the 400i's from Amazon after today's ridiculous sale, so now I need to figure out my amp/DAC setup. Thanks!

Antiwhippy

Oh man, be sure to check massdrop. A plethora of audio goodies arriving for black friday.

If I wasn't already planning to get the aurisonics and also upgrade my PC I would jump on some of those deals.

Also curiosity got the better of me and I jumped onto the revols kickstarter. At least I can either commit or pull away before january next year and if it works it seems like a pretty cool thing to have.

Charcoal

What up fam, I'm needing some help. I'm looking for this certain style of stand, but I'm having a hard time finding something similar.

xA3Z8aj.jpg

That stand is from a year-old kickstarter, but the company hasn't said much since then.

I think I'm about to bite on the HE-400i at $399 CAD.

edit: bought. woohoo! Going to make this my christmas present. Now to talk to the fiancee when she gets home from work. :lol

For any canucks interested, I bought it from www.headphonebar.com. They're located in Vancouver.

Oh man, be sure to check massdrop. A plethora of audio goodies arriving for black friday.

If I wasn't already planning to get the aurisonics and also upgrade my PC I would jump on some of those deals.

Also curiosity got the better of me and I jumped onto the revols kickstarter. At least I can either commit or pull away before january next year and if it works it seems like a pretty cool thing to have.

Dammit. I knew I shouldn't have signed up there this week...

I keep telling myself I don't need the k7xx since I just bought a 400i and am getting a allessandro ms1 next month.

sgjackson

I'm looking for a pair of headphones around 100 bucks that fits these requirements:

-Circumaural
-Closed back. I value the isolation more than the open sound.
-Tighter bass response and an otherwise flat sound signature. I primarily listen to metal and find that boomy bass tends to make songs sound muddier than I'd like.
-Easily replaceable wear items like detachable cables and ear pads.
-Comfortable for long listening sessions.

I imagine this is a commonish request and I hope I didn't miss anything as I only really skimmed the last page. :V

HiResDes

Thanks! Crazy what a little $75 amp/DAC combo can accomplish. I'm sure it's not ideal though.

It's only 35OHM and supposedly sounds decent straight from an iPhone, I really don't think you'll need much more.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones around 100 bucks that fits these requirements:

-Circumaural
-Closed back. I value the isolation more than the open sound.
-Tighter bass response and an otherwise flat sound signature. I primarily listen to metal and find that boomy bass tends to make songs sound muddier than I'd like.
-Easily replaceable wear items like detachable cables and ear pads.
-Comfortable for long listening sessions.

I imagine this is a commonish request and I hope I didn't miss anything as I only really skimmed the last page. :V
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093PVTPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

torontoml

Try using foam tips, especially ones that are waxed.

If foam tips aren't your style though try some spinfits. They bend so I find that they grab the inside of your ears better and the material they're made with are the most comfortable I've felt with a silicon earpiece.

Also you can try wearing it over the ear if you don't want it to move too much.

Any suggestions on how can determine what size I should be getting?

Antiwhippy

Any suggestions on how can determine what size I should be getting?

Hard to tell really. Fit is such a personal thing. My general rule of thumb is keep going smaller until you're no longer experiencing vacuum seals. Foam tips eliminates that, but go too big and they will push back enough to cause soreness.

For me I go medium spinfits for shallow insertions, very small spinfits for deep insertions. Same rules for foam except move things up one size higher. You might need to judge with the already included tips.

Also I kinda have the feeling that you're not inserting it deep enough. Don't have the tenore but it seems like the type that requires a fairly deep insertion.

LQX

The $299 price is live on the HIFIMAN HE400i from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MULH672/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This deal is even sweeter if you have a Chase Freedom card as you get 10% cashback from Amazon making them $270 and you are bound to find a store on Amazon not charging tax.

Cant wait to hear these as they say they even beat out the HD 650 which I liked but got rid of so it will be great to get better replacement cheaper.

Ecto311

Considering some headphones with my amazon credit - looking at either the HD518 or M30x with the Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp. Don't know shit about any of those items but high reviews and cash burning a hole in my pocket are making them both seem decent. Reviews and youtube can only help so much.

Would be using with my iPhone and xbox one/pc gaming. Any opinions or other options to consider?

Closed, and like 150 bucks, tops.

Takstar Pro 80
(Gemini HSR-1000)

ATH M50x

Those are the two I generally recommend based on personal experience. The Takstar/Gemini are the same headphone, just rebranded. The Takstar will come with a straight cable, the Gemini with a coiled cable. They also generally hit way above their price point. The m50x goes on sale for between $100 and $130 often too.

EDIT: I don't own these, but they get recommended often enough. Discontinued but can still be bought in some places for cheap. A900x

HiResDes

Considering some headphones with my amazon credit - looking at either the HD518 or M30x with the Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp. Don't know shit about any of those items but high reviews and cash burning a hole in my pocket are making them both seem decent. Reviews and youtube can only help so much.

Would be using with my iPhone and xbox one/pc gaming. Any opinions or other options to consider?

What's your budget exactly? What kind of music or use are you looking for? Obviously you want closed ones right?

Closed, and like 150 bucks, tops.
Unless she needs really strong isolation The Creative Aurvana Live are still a tremendous value at just over $55. JVC HA-S680 as well.

Ecto311

What's your budget exactly? What kind of music or use are you looking for? Obviously you want closed ones right?

I listen to mostly podcasts and maybe an uptown funk type song or funk/rap with a bit of rock in there but rarely music at all. Mostly Xbox/pc games and podcasts. Open vs closed isn't a big deal since these would be used at home mostly. $100 budget unless there is something amazing just outside of it. The 2 I listed above were around $70 when I posted.

Wire cutter recommended the Sony MDR7506 very strongly but without a place to actually listen to them I can't tell if they are a beats style or respected brand. I do have some in ear headphones from Sony in the $50 range and they sound the same as the $6 panasonics on Amazon everyone loves.

Antiwhippy

Oh god, aaw ciem for USD$250 on massdrop. Free shipping to Australia too, which is usually the thing that kills massdrop deals for me.

I... I think I might jump on this.

Slight V with smooth but detailed treble is a signature I'm down with.

Tommy DJ

I listen to mostly podcasts and maybe an uptown funk type song or funk/rap with a bit of rock in there but rarely music at all. Mostly Xbox/pc games and podcasts. Open vs closed isn't a big deal since these would be used at home mostly. $100 budget unless there is something amazing just outside of it. The 2 I listed above were around $70 when I posted.

Wire cutter recommended the Sony MDR7506 very strongly but without a place to actually listen to them I can't tell if they are a beats style or respected brand. I do have some in ear headphones from Sony in the $50 range and they sound the same as the $6 panasonics on Amazon everyone loves.

Wirecutter is terrible for headphones because its essentially an aggregation site. The problem with the field of "hi-fi" audio, especially headphones, is that its basically all shit.

The Sony MDR-7506/V6 is an excellent studio tool. Rising frequency response is good for monitoring, they're cheap, they're portable, and they are pretty much indestructible. They don't actually sound good, however. It is a pretty horrible headphone in that anyone who has listened to anything half way decent should at the very least be able to tell that there's something not right about them.

HiResDes's Creative Aurvana Live suggestion above is still a very good one for just about anyone. Somehow the headphone industry has legitimized some truly terrible sound signatures, probably because some people actually believe its at all sensible to buy like 6 headphones for a specific music genre each or that its OK for a headphone to sound like shit playing pop music/classical/insert music genre. What the Creative Auravana Live does better than 99.9% of headphones is that it gets its sound signature "right" and will sound right playing just about anything you throw at it.

What up fam, I'm needing some help. I'm looking for this certain style of stand, but I'm having a hard time finding something similar.

That stand is from a year-old kickstarter, but the company hasn't said much since then.

Upside down Rubbermaid hose hook is the closest I can think of in that style. Most headphone stands are metal rack things, sort of like a glorified banana stand, or wooden things that cost more than an arm and a leg.

Ecto311

Just seen amazon is having the sennheiser HD598 for $99 I assume that is a good price and better than the HD518 and M30/40x I was looking into for under $100 range? Again just playing games and podcasts with the random uptown funk type music.

Just seen amazon is having the sennheiser HD598 for $99 I assume that is a good price and better than the HD518 and M30/40x I was looking into for under $100 range? Again just playing games and podcasts with the random uptown funk type music.

Did I miss this!?

:(

Edit: Oh, for BF? If so, I'm hoping to get in on it.

Ecto311

Did I miss this!?

:(

Edit: Oh, for BF? If so, I'm hoping to get in on it.

Yeah black friday - should have mentioned that. Would a normal dipshit like myself notice a difference between that sennheiser and the m40x? There is a mic/headphone m40x bundle on amazon right now and it seems decent for xbox one usage.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah black friday - should have mentioned that. Would a normal dipshit like myself notice a difference between that sennheiser and the m40x? There is a mic/headphone m40x bundle on amazon right now and it seems decent for xbox one usage.

Only reason to not take the 598, is if you can't afford the $99.

Ecto311

Any timing for the hd598 sale on Amazon? Really don't wanna miss it but can't find an approximate time when it goes live.

Moodz

My Philips headphones that I use everyday during my commute are starting to shit the bed (sound on only one side etc...).
Is there currently good ones at 100€/$ max, with a mic and remote working on Android and IPhone? Closed or semi closed if possible...

Top Bottom