• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

jay23

I ordered the HD 598 from Amazon deal, if I purchase a modmic what will I need to get it all working with my Xbox one?(I have the old controller btw)

syllogism

The deals were too tempting and grabbed Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for 130e and Philips Fidelio M2BT for 99e. Not sure I actually need both, does MSR7 sound meaningfully better than M2BT with a cord?

X-Frame

Modi/magni is more than enough for 400i. Try it for awhile with your e10k first though. The Asgard 2 is a fantastic amp, but is overkill for these.

Another good upgrade to consider is the jds labs O2-ODAC combo.

Thanks for the help!

The just arrived and am already enjoying them through the E10K (new versions too with the 2.5mm plugs). However, whereas using my MBP at max volume and using my HD 598's the volume became "loud" at volume 3 (of 8) on the E10K .. for these I am already at 7 of 8 with most songs and sometimes 8 with lower volume songs.

There is a GAIN switch at the back of the E10K, should I be using that?

Thanks for the help!

The just arrived and am already enjoying them through the E10K (new versions too with the 2.5mm plugs). However, whereas using my MBP at max volume and using my HD 598's the volume became "loud" at volume 3 (of 8) on the E10K .. for these I am already at 7 of 8 with most songs and sometimes 8 with lower volume songs.

There is a GAIN switch at the back of the E10K, should I be using that?

Yeah, just up the gain. My amp has three settings, low, medium and high. Not sure what settings yours has. But uh make sure you turn the volume down first to make sure you don't accidentally blast the crap out of the headphones.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jumped on the Fostex deal as well, I need a fun headphone :x.

D7000/D5000's are a headphone I missed out on. Too late to hop on the discontinued sales and didn't want to pay the outrageous aftermarket prices. I hear these are improved versions of the D7000's, so I'm excited.

Ludovico

Cross-posting from the vinyl thread, figured I'd check in with you guys as well:

Hey guys.
So I set up my LP-120 (first player) earlier today and managed not to horrendously break anything. I'm using the line-out through the RCA to 3.5 male adapter, and plugging them straight into a pair of Vmoda m-80's. Sounds pretty clear though the volume is on the weak side. This is bad because I'm also expecting some HD598's very soon.

I think instead of buying a full fledged receiver, I'd rather have a portable DAC/amp I could also couple with my phone (galaxy S5) and sansa clip.

Would the following amp allow me to simply plug and play so I could increase the volume of the record player as well as any of my other aux-out devices?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thanks!

amnesiac

Quick question.

I like my M50s (M50x are on the way) but I'm not getting enough power to them. I was born with lower hearing than most people, so I require more of a kick. My AV receiver and guitar amplifier are able to provide the power needed to meet my adequate listening level, but the Fiio E6 I have doesn't quite reach it.

I am looking to spend ~$100 for an amp that will drive a lot of power to my headphones. Will the Fiio E10K meet my requirements?

I've read that since the M50s have a low impedance, an amp wouldn't help much. The E6 helps a little, I'm just wondering if I can expect a big jump from the E6 to the E10K.

Thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Quick question.

I like my M50s (M50x are on the way) but I'm not getting enough power to them. I was born with lower hearing than most people, so I require more of a kick. My AV receiver and guitar amplifier are able to provide the power needed to meet my adequate listening level, but the Fiio E6 I have doesn't quite reach it.

I am looking to spend ~$100 for an amp that will drive a lot of power to my headphones. Will the Fiio E10K meet my requirements?

I've read that since the M50s have a low impedance, an amp wouldn't help much. The E6 helps a little, I'm just wondering if I can expect a big jump from the E6 to the E10K.

Thanks!

Do you mean e11k? E10k is a DAC.

amnesiac

Yeah, if output power is what you're looking for I would think so. Unless you need the DAC functionality?

Well I just compared the power and it says the E10K has an output power of 200 ohms while the A3 (E10K new model) has an output of 270 ohms... So I'm guessing the A3 is the better amp. The E6 has an output power of 160 ohms so I think +100 should do the trick.

Thanks!

Antiwhippy

That's the wrong way to read it. It outputs max 270mW of voltage when the headphone impedance is at 32 ohms. I've kinda forgotten about the ways you calculate the amp's voltage output to the headphone's resistance, but yeah, long story short the a3 should work.

Sensitivity also plays a big part in calculating how much voltage your headphones need to reach the volume levels you want. I think it kinda goes amount of voltage the amp outputs at a specific resistance > the voltage received by the drivers > the sensitivity of the driver which is basically how much voltage is needed to power the drivers to certain volume levels? I'm sure there are quite a number of things I'm missing.

Ecto311

Just ordered the HD598 and wondering how they will do off of the xbox one controller. Do I need an amp like the E6 to get a great sound or is there enough oomph from the controller? Considering the amp but don't want to piss away $25 on something I don't need and won't benefit from.

Also any way to play flac or other better file types on the iPhone? I have a 6plus and would like to get some better source sound than google play or apple music to try these 598's out with.

Just ordered the HD598 and wondering how they will do off of the xbox one controller. Do I need an amp like the E6 to get a great sound or is there enough oomph from the controller? Considering the amp but don't want to piss away $25 on something I don't need and won't benefit from.

Also any way to play flac or other better file types on the iPhone? I have a 6plus and would like to get some better source sound than google play or apple music to try these 598's out with.

IME flac is unnecssary. As long as you're at (say) 256kbps or above then I don't think there's anything to worry about. At least, that's how it is to my ears (based on some ABX testing).

That said, I dunno what bitrate google play streams at.

BraXzy

Should be getting a pair of Astro A40's along with the Mixamp Pro (Gen 2). Looking forward to them. Most expensive headphones I've owned are a cheap pair of Turtlebeache X12's.

I know they aren't the best bang for buck as far as pure sound quality goes, but I will mainly be using them for gaming and I want a mic included. I know a lot of people suggest getting an audiophile pair of headphones with a separate mic but I will be using these on my X1, PS4 and PC.

Anyone used them? Opinions?

They should sound fine. If you have a receiver hooked up to your entertainment center, that would work too.

I generally don't recommend buying the e6. Waste of money that doesn't even really do anything.

Tommy DJ

Whoa, over a 1000 purchases so far. Don't think I ever seen that many sales so fast on a expensive drop. Moreover it is a blind buy.

Its not too much of a blind buy if you understand measurements because they essentially tell you if they are complete shit or not. They measure very well in terms of frequency response, have pretty good distortion, don't have most of that funny CSD business that most semi-closed and closed back headphones have that makes them sound cavernous, and they lack any of the treble emphasis of most bass heavy headphones like the TH-600 or TH-900. Its a bass heavy headphone that doesn't sound like a one trick pony, can take EQing pretty well if that's your thing, and probably doesn't sound like a typical closed back headphone.

Add in wood cups, an actually a pretty good price for what are essentially flagship headphones, and Jude over at Head-Fi hyping them up and they're obviously going to sell well.

They should sound fine. If you have a receiver hooked up to your entertainment center, that would work too.

I generally don't recommend buying the e6. Waste of money that doesn't even really do anything.

The HD598 into your receiver is not a good idea. High output impedance from the receiver's headphone jack + Sennheiser's house impedance curve + the HD598's high bass distortion = bass mud galore. In such a case, I'd take output from a smartphone, computer, or laptop over the headphone out from a receiver.

LQX

Newegg has the Turtle Beach Ear Force DXL1 for $30 with a $20 rebate. This to me is an amazing deal at $10 as it comes with the DSS2 which is pretty damn good headphone amp for the consoles and your TV because it has optical out and is powered via USB. I used it with my HD 598 and they sounded great on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874502023

Its not too much of a blind buy if you understand measurements because they essentially tell you if they are complete shit or not. They measure very well in terms of frequency response, have pretty good distortion, don't have most of that funny CSD business that most semi-closed and closed back headphones have that makes them sound cavernous, and they lack any of the treble emphasis of most bass heavy headphones like the TH-600 or TH-900. Its a bass heavy headphone that doesn't sound like a one trick pony, can take EQing pretty well if that's your thing, and probably doesn't sound like a typical closed back headphone.

Add in wood cups, an actually a pretty good price for what are essentially flagship headphones, and Jude over at Head-Fi hyping them up and they're obviously going to sell well.

The HD598 into your receiver is not a good idea. High output impedance from the receiver's headphone jack + Sennheiser's house impedance curve + the HD598's high bass distortion = bass mud galore. In such a case, I'd take output from a smartphone, computer, or laptop over the headphone out from a receiver.
Thanks for that info. I'm really thinking about getting them as I can see them maintaining their value. Do have any idea which headphones might be equivalent to them?

Mr. Hyde

Ha. I came on here is to see if anyone has jumped on the Fostex deal on Massdrop. It's good to see others have no willpower either. Well. My wife bought me them for my birthday. I am thinking of buying the HD labs Odac+amp since these shouldn't need much to power them and odac shines with low impedance headphones. My old nuforce udac needs to retire.

Zafir

Should be getting a pair of Astro A40's along with the Mixamp Pro (Gen 2). Looking forward to them. Most expensive headphones I've owned are a cheap pair of Turtlebeache X12's.

I know they aren't the best bang for buck as far as pure sound quality goes, but I will mainly be using them for gaming and I want a mic included. I know a lot of people suggest getting an audiophile pair of headphones with a separate mic but I will be using these on my X1, PS4 and PC.

Anyone used them? Opinions?

Don't own the most recent version of them but with regards to the 2013 edition I think it was, I'm a big fan of the mixamp. The headset is okay, but I much preferred using my headphones which are ironically cheaper than they were selling the headset for seperately. Honestly I'd recommend getting one of those Sennheiser headsets to go along with the mixamp if you didn't want to go the headphone + mic route.

X-Frame

On my Mac I can open up a MIDI controller app where I can adjust a few things for my FiiO E10K when I'm listening with my HE-400i's:

By default I believe it was set to something like 16-bit / 44.1 KHz.

I have the option of turning that up the 24-bit / 96 KHz .. should I do it? Does it depend on certain factors like the music I'm listening too?

95% of my music is 256-320 kbps MP3's and AAC's, with the rest being ALAC (converted from FLAC).

Thanks!

LQX

kramer-out.gif

Welp, guess I'm getting the TH-X00 from MassDrop. The hype got me after reading impressions and comparisons. Now to sell the the HD600 I just bought and I haven't even picked up the Hifiman He400I I bought a few days ago. I blame the HD 598, those fucking headphones put my on this path to debt and did I mention I just rebought them in black...fuck me.

kramer-out.gif

Welp, guess I'm getting the TH-X00 from MassDrop. The hype got me after reading impressions and comparisons. Now to sell the the HD600 I just bought and I haven't even picked up the Hifiman He400I I bought a few days ago. I blame the HD 598, those fucking headphones put my on this path to debt and did I mention I just rebought them in black...fuck me.

:lol

I am picking up my HE-400i today, a complement to my Denon D2000.

I also ordered an HD 598 for my dad.

J. Bravo

Picked up a pair of hd598s for myself and the creative aurvana lives for my gf. They get here tomorrow night. Kind of hyped considering I've only ever used shitty $50 skull candies

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Gotta stop buying every headphone that Head-Fi hypes, to give yourself time to evaluate what you already have. Lots of overlap on your shelves.

Linius

Same here. I'd been considering the TH-600 for a while, but when I saw this drop this week I finally caved.

Shame they'll likely be close to 100 euros more expensive once they finally clear customs.

You sure about the custom stuff? Since a third party is forwarding them. I suppose they mark them as a gift or whatever? I'm really considering them but I'm not sure if I want to pay another 100 euros on top :/

For other Aussies, Amazon.fr are selling them for 97.85€ (about $144) and they do ship directly to Australia, unlike Amazon US.

Shame I missed this. I saw the Amazon USA deal and they don't ship to the netherlands. But France does. Would have made a great Christmas gift.

Antiwhippy

On my Mac I can open up a MIDI controller app where I can adjust a few things for my FiiO E10K when I'm listening with my HE-400i's:

By default I believe it was set to something like 16-bit / 44.1 KHz.

I have the option of turning that up the 24-bit / 96 KHz .. should I do it? Does it depend on certain factors like the music I'm listening too?

95% of my music is 256-320 kbps MP3's and AAC's, with the rest being ALAC (converted from FLAC).

Thanks!

No need, it will do absolutely nothing to your music.

HiResDes

Also it's weird to see all the hype over the Fostex and the 400i seemingly becoming the dark horse. Also someone trading in the HD600 on a blind buy what the hell lol.

Mr. Hyde

I think I am going to pay 50 or so extra to get the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 to stack. Has anyone tried these yet? It's probably overkill for the new Fostex but it seems to have a lot of nice features that will be useful for driving other things as well. It seems to work nicely with low impedence headphones.

Mr. Hyde

Also it's weird to see all the hype over the Fostex and the 400i seemingly becoming the dark horse. Also someone trading in the HD600 on a blind buy what the hell lol.

I caught them at the right place, right time. I saw headphone commute hype them up and I've been thinking about buying a complimenting pair of headphones to my ole ATH-AD900. Those are wonderful for acoustic, piano and vocals but weak on anything with a hint of decent bass. I am excited to hear the sound of these.

Tommy DJ

I guess if you've got money floating around everywhere, the 400i is only around $100 cheaper than the Fostex. Its a bit of a fallacy to make a real judgement having not heard the Fostex but I imagine they'll have a better midrange than the 400i, which just sounds weird to me. The measurements just suggest that there's nothing seriously wrong about them. Its also closed, which is something I personally want.

But yeah seriously...you've got to chill the fuck out if you've just bought a HE-400i, HD598, want to sell your HD600 (what the fuck), and buying the Fostex TH-X00. That's the sort of behaviour that gets people stuck in the mid-fi purgatory where they waste hundreds and thousands of dollars on stuff when they could have just bought one or two pairs of headphones for every purpose and call it a day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Congrats to all the new Fostex owners! Love my TH600s, incredible sound stage and bass. They leak like a motherfucker but the sound is just phenomenal.

Top Bottom