• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

Ohhh, now that looks sexy.

I remember you were looking for a good basshead can. Looking at the measurements, this is probably the one you want. The objective measurements all seem really good.

From the looks of things, its a closed headphone that doesn't seem to suffer from obvious in-cup echoing or other serious enclosure related problems. Also doesn't have treble peaks large enough to cause deafness, doesn't have an Audeze EL-8C treble void that sounds like complete ass, and is overall balanced enough to sound respectable with most content.

Its going to cost me like $600 AUD but its a bass heavy headphone that also doesn't look like a one trick pony so fuck it.

Any opinions on whether Senn 650/600s are worth the sale prices if I already have HiFi Man 400i?
Hmmmm...if you were comparing to HE500, I'd say no except for comfort. The HD650 are the most comfortable full-sized over-ears I've ever worn. They need an amp, though. The HE500 REALLY need an amp (luckily the $100 Schiit Magni works just fine). I don't remember if the HE400i also-smurfley require an amp, though.

Got my new 400i. Wanted to jump in and see what the fuss was about with planars. Will wait awhile for impressions, but so far I like them.

I remember you were looking for a good basshead can. Looking at the measurements, this is probably the one you want. The objective measurements all seem really good.

From the looks of things, its a closed headphone that doesn't seem to suffer from obvious in-cup echoing or other serious enclosure related problems. Also doesn't have treble peaks large enough to cause deafness, doesn't have an Audeze EL-8C treble void that sounds like complete ass, and is overall balanced enough to sound respectable with most content.

Its going to cost me like $600 AUD but its a bass heavy headphone that also doesn't look like a one trick pony so fuck it.

Early reports say they don't isolate very well and leak sound compared to most closed headphones.

Other than that, they look fantastic.

Tommy DJ

Got my new 400i. Wanted to jump in and see what the fuss was about with planars. Will wait awhile for impressions, but so far I like them.

Early reports say they don't isolate very well and leak sound compared to most closed headphones.

That's really expected, every Fostex and Denon headphone I've tried is a leaky bastard. Better than the person across the room hearing whatever is coming from your open backs though.

That's really expected, every Fostex and Denon headphone I've tried is a leaky bastard. Better than the person across the room hearing whatever is coming from your open backs though.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to a fostex or denon.

Really like the look of this though. Maybe next year if they get dropped on a regular basis like the k7xx.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've never had the pleasure of listening to a fostex or denon.

Really like the look of this though. Maybe next year if they get dropped on a regular basis like the k7xx.

It's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

Massdrop might as well have a storefront for their own rebadged items now. They ain't fooling anyone.

Zeth

X2s are my primary desktop headphone right now. Trying to decide on a complimentary gift to myself between a bass-cannon like the SZ2000 or the ridiculous deal on the 400i to fill the 650 roll of relatively balanced hifi can. I might wait until tomorrow in case there are any last-minute deals, but I doubt anything will be as deeply discounted as the Hifimans.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
No Oppo PM-3 sales....

Vegeta_angry_cry.gif~original

elfinke

The DT770s and M-100s are ~$220 shipped to my door from Amazon, which is both cheaper than anything I can get locally and also cheap enough that I'm not tempted to just save up more for SZ2000 or similar $300+ phones. The reported comfort level of the DT770's is pulling me in their direction (along with the solid recommendations in this thread).

Any other thoughts?

Wizerd

How's it going fellas. I don't know much about headphones, but am really interested in getting something, preferably under $100. Any recommendations? Thanks.

LQX

Hello HeadphoneGaf, Do you agree with Zafir or i need to find something else? Thanks

The HD 598 are amazing headphones for everything. I own the big brothers to them, the HD 600 and 650 which can cost twice as much but I don't think anyone would be missing much picking the 598 over them. Get them, you will love them.

Also, these will also be on sale for US gaffers so keep an eye out.

Zafir

If you're from the UK may be cheaper to get them from Amazon UK, seems they've just dropped the price of the HD 598SE's there too. £75.

Not sure how shipping works out to other European countries from DE and UK.

Ecto311

The HD 598 are amazing headphones for everything. I own the big brothers to them, the HD 600 and 650 which can cost twice as much but I don't think anyone would be missing much picking the 598 over them. Get them, you will love them.

Also, these will also be on sale for US gaffers so keep an eye out.

I am waiting with amazon credit for the HD 598 and checking over and over since I hear nothing but good things. Even passed up some M50X and other headphones for these to be on sale. Hope they are decent for games due to the "expanded soundstage" whatever that does.

Wish there was a way to set an alert for them since the m50x are still on lightning deal I might have a decent chance to get these.

LQX

I am waiting with amazon credit for the HD 598 and checking over and over since I hear nothing but good things. Even passed up some M50X and other headphones for these to be on sale. Hope they are decent for games due to the "expanded soundstage" whatever that does.

Wish there was a way to set an alert for them since the m50x are still on lightning deal I might have a decent chance to get these.
You wont be disappointed. Games sound amazing with them, you can hear everything. I too was tempted to get the LE M50X as I need a closed headphone but I really want the black version of these as I no longer have my cream ones.

I will post the link if I catch them. Please do the same just in case I don't.

golem09

Neo Member
So the HD 598s haven't been on sale on amazon.com yet? My girlfriend wants to get them, and I can't find any info if they have already been sold in a flash sale this week.

X-Frame

Mine should be here tomorrow. I really hope mine are the new style with the new connectors. It would suck for me to have to send them back for an exchange if I was sent an old pair.

Mine should be here tomorrow. I really hope mine are the new style with the new connectors. It would suck for me to have to send them back for an exchange if I was sent an old pair.

Mine are also in the mail. Hoping it comes tomorrow -- if not, Monday, I suppose.

What will you be using them with?

X-Frame

Mine are also in the mail. Hoping it comes tomorrow -- if not, Monday, I suppose.

What will you be using them with?

All I have an a FiiO E10K, which if I remember correctly is good for up to 150 Ohms. The HE-400i's seem to be 35 so it should be more than enough unless there is something I'm missing by not using more expensive amps.

Einherjar

Hi Guys, not an audiophile but I wanna spend on new headset + headphone. I did some minor research via Google just now but wanted more opinions.

For gaming I'm looking at Logitech G633 right now.

For work (I sit in front of a computer programming all day) I'm looking for a wireless solution and I can't really find much. I see some talk of Sennheiser Momentum.

Where did you buy them from?

All I have an a FiiO E10K, which if I remember correctly is good for up to 150 Ohms. The HE-400i's seem to be 35 so it should be more than enough unless there is something I'm missing by not using more expensive amps.

Planars can fool you with their ohm ratings. You should be just fine with your e10k though.

X-Frame

Where did you buy them from?

Planars can fool you with their ohm ratings. You should be just fine with your e10k though.

Ordered from Amazon actually! The seller was Hifiman too at the time I ordered them and they shipped out the same day. Current tracking status says they were on the truck for delivery yesterday but due to Thanksgiving they sat so they should be coming today.

And yeah I've heard that as well. Well if I need to get a better amp I'm fine with that. Music is so important to me that it's worth it if I need to near max out these headphones.

I'd need a DAC too though since I'm using my 2010 Macbook Pro.

Ordered from Amazon actually! The seller was Hifiman too at the time I ordered them and they shipped out the same day. Current tracking status says they were on the truck for delivery yesterday but due to Thanksgiving they sat so they should be coming today.

And yeah I've heard that as well. Well if I need to get a better amp I'm fine with that. Music is so important to me that it's worth it if I need to near max out these headphones.

I'd need a DAC too though since I'm using my 2010 Macbook Pro.

You should be fine, but an upgrade would probably have a decent effect if you ever upgrade later down the road.

Even though they are rated at 35ohm, I almost have to dial up my magni uber to the same volume as I do with my hd650, which is 300ohm.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the old connectors, I almost wish mine were the old ones. Almost every aftermarket cable I find online uses the old style and not the new 2.5mm. The one I did find was considerably more expensive.

LQX

Are these better bang for the buck than the fidelio X1/x2s? Wouldn't really be using for music. Just gaming and movies at night. Which would be better for sound whoring in cod? Lol

I have never heard the X1/X2s but I do have their little brother, the SHP9500, which I think are amazing and are even on par with the HD 598 so that alone makes me want to say the X1/X2 might be a better listening experience, but the HD 598 are most definitely a better bang for the buck headphone as they are currently close to $100-200 cheaper than both the X1/X2.

Movies and games will sound amazing with them. COD especially for me was like a new experience as the HD 598 made it and a lot of games a totally new listening experience. I even made thread about it last year about how before I got the HD 598 there were certain sounds I did pick up on with my other headphone but with the 598 I could hear a damn flag flapping half way across one of the maps.

Are these better bang for the buck than the fidelio X1/x2s? Wouldn't really be using for music. Just gaming and movies at night. Which would be better for sound whoring in cod? Lol

Better bang for buck, at $94? Absolutely. However the X2 is a better headphone, though IMO not $200 better. Plus once you get to the $300 mark, you've got a lot of other options that compete with the X2.

Hd598 at $94 is seriously the best headphone deal sub $250 that I have ever seen.

X-Frame

You should be fine, but an upgrade would probably have a decent effect if you ever upgrade later down the road.

Even though they are rated at 35ohm, I almost have to dial up my magni uber to the same volume as I do with my hd650, which is 300ohm.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the old connectors, I almost wish mine were the old ones. Almost every aftermarket cable I find online uses the old style and not the new 2.5mm. The one I did find was considerably more expensive.

Thanks! A follow up question, let's say I did feel the need to upgrade my amp -- would you recommend the Magni 2 or the Asgard 2 to go with the HE-400i's?

Since I'd also need a separate DAC then possibly the Modi 2 Uber and the Magni 2 Uber combo? Or would the Asgard 2 be better (even though it's +$100)? Thank you!

HiResDes

I'm selling my used X1 for $115 shipped to continental U.S.

...Definitely prefer them to the 598 personally.

Zeth

400i or X00 conundrum is hard. Leaning toward Fostex for bass, but those planars at that price - are there easy pad swaps for improving it like the HM5 Brainwavz pleather?

Also my ears and head are both big, the X2s fit nicely, but the pictures of those Fostex pads frighten me.

Thanks! A follow up question, let's say I did feel the need to upgrade my amp -- would you recommend the Magni 2 or the Asgard 2 to go with the HE-400i's?

Since I'd also need a separate DAC then possibly the Modi 2 Uber and the Magni 2 Uber combo? Or would the Asgard 2 be better (even though it's +$100)? Thank you!

Modi/magni is more than enough for 400i. Try it for awhile with your e10k first though. The Asgard 2 is a fantastic amp, but is overkill for these.

Another good upgrade to consider is the jds labs O2-ODAC combo.

Top Bottom