• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oof, be sure to clean your ears often folks. Just had my ears cleaned out in preparation for taking impressions, and man now my ears are slightly better at picking up the uneven treble peaks of the trinity hyperions. Still don't consider them too bad though.

Apparently I had quite a bit of build up.

Amagon

I'm one of many that purchase the HD598 SE over the weekend and have a question. Is their a cable available I can use with the 598 that has volume control? Thanks!

Ecto311

Anyone have experience with the CMOY diy amp? I have thought about building one for a long time and now with a decent set coming soon (hd598) I am considering it for these. Watched some youtube videos and it doesn't seem that hard to build. Would it be a waste of time/money or should I just get the e6? Even my sony earbuds need some extra omph off of the xbox one controller for decent listening so I am assuming full over ear headphones might need that also or at least benefit from it.

paskowitz

Just got the Senn 598s. Should be good through my Asus Maximus VII Formula mobo? No need for a sound card? I only ask because I used to have a POS ASRock Z87 mobo and put a HT Omega Halo Claro XT sound card (now sold) in and it made a noticeable difference (vs mobo to receiver, or just mobo) for my bookshelf speakers and mediocre Shure IEMs (SE315s).

HiResDes

Probably fine. Everyone seems to be asking questions about amping the 598 and it's one of the those headphones which sounds decent without much amping but scales a bit with one as well but not tremendously or in a dynamic way to warrant all of the concerns about it. I say listen to the headphone for a while and if you like them as is. An amp might help liven up the midbass just a tad but for the most part if you don't enjoy their rather neutral frequency they might not be the headphones for you. Once you decide whether you enjoy their signature only then start thinking about ways to make them sound their best, I honestly think an entry DAC/Amp unit will be all you'll need.

The Schiit Fulla would be plenty.

paskowitz

Probably fine. Everyone seems to be asking questions about amping the 598 and it's one of the those headphones which sounds decent without much amping but scales a bit with one as well but not tremendously or in a dynamic way to warrant all of the concerns about it. I say listen to the headphone for a while and if you like them as is. An amp might help liven up the midbass just a tad but for the most part if you don't enjoy their rather neutral frequency they might not be the headphones for you. Once you decide whether you enjoy their signature only then start thinking about ways to make them sound their best, I honestly think an entry DAC/Amp unit will be all you'll need.

The Schiit Fulla would be plenty.

I don't like bass heavy headphones, but my experiences are limited to my Shures, low level AKGs (punchy), mid level Grados (warm) and Beats (yuck). My Shures sure as hell aren't bass heavy (but they are old and refurbs...) so as long as the 598s are a bit better than that I think I'll be satisfied. I have a set of Astro A50s as my "theater" headphones, but they are garbage for music. I figured the 598s would either fill a niche left by the Astro's or maybe just replace them all together.

I have good source material 320/FLAC/Vinyl/Bluray. My music selection is pretty standard, classic rock, jazz, classical, top 40, movie/game OSTs, audio books. I think the bass would be more of an issue for movies (Inception buuuuuurrrr), but I would more than likely use my Klipsch book shelf speakers for that.

What do you guys think about Garage1217 amps? Specifically the Starlight, Sunrise III and Solstice.

These would be paired with my Modi 2 Uber DAC to power my hd650 and 400i.

Ecto311

Tracking claims these were delivered and there is nothing here. I never dealt with Amazon for this I guess I chat with them about it or email them? This fuckin area seems to be getting shittier and shittier.

HiResDes

What do you guys think about Garage1217 amps? Specifically the Starlight, Sunrise III and Solstice.

I remember impressions being resoundingly positive, but with the being said the Little Dot II is still a tremendous value.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm feeling like I should skip the PM-3, and just find a set of basshead cans in the $300 range, that still has great detail.

BraXzy

Is there no way to make audio go through both your TV and wireless headphones for the PS4? The second I connect my Sony headset wirelessly, audio is cut off from the TV but I would like both, without the need for wires..

Bloodember

Is there no way to make audio go through both your TV and wireless headphones for the PS4? The second I connect my Sony headset wirelessly, audio is cut off from the TV but I would like both, without the need for wires..
How do you have the headphones attached to the ps4?

I picked up a Solstice a few months ago to pair with my HD650. Coming from an O2 I was blown away by the bass and smoothness of the sound. Worth every penny IMO. Tube rolling can get expensive but even the stock tube sounds great.

I picked up a Solstice a few months ago to pair with my HD650. Coming from an O2 I was blown away by the bass and smoothness of the sound. Worth every penny IMO. Tube rolling can get expensive but even the stock tube sounds great.

That and the Starlight are the two I'm leaning towards. The only reason the Starlight is swaying me is because it is a good deal cheaper.

What DAC are you using with it?

andylsun

Fiio have released new firmware for X1, X3 and X5 that hugely improves the scroll wheel. Much easier to use and more accurate.

Found a second 3.5mm headphone jack that doesn't quite fit my X1 (a 3.5mm to RCA adapter), so that and the rockets would lead me to believe it's a problem with my X1. Can't take it apart as I can't find a hex driver small enough.

It's kind of amazing the difference an amp can make...

I just A/B'd:
- Sony NWZ-A17 DAP directly to Denon D2000
- Sony NWZ-A17 DAP line-out to Headroom Micro amp to Denon D2000

Totally depends on the song of course, but on some Carly Rae Jepson I was listening to (lol) it made an immediate and significant difference.

I also have the Headroom Micro DAC but honestly prefer the sound signature that the Sony puts on the music. Clearaudio+ sounds great to me most of the time, though certain songs can be a bit harsh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What are your go too when trying to test soundstage and imaging? I am trying to decide between keeping my fidelio x2s and 598s. X2s seem to be rated higher but $150 price difference.

Right now I just have them connected to a turtle beach dss1 and then to ps4 via optical. X2s seem a bit louder but I'm guessing that's because they require less power? Listed to some binural videos off yt (barbershop & corny interrogation chamber videos) and the sense of position on the 598s seemed a bit better.

Tracking claims these were delivered and there is nothing here. I never dealt with Amazon for this I guess I chat with them about it or email them? This fuckin area seems to be getting shittier and shittier.

Amazon will usually just take the loss and re-ship a new item. They'll probably deal with the shipper directly. Depending on the shipper you might be able to request that you pick it up instead of having it shipped and left at your door.

RedAssedApe

Banned
598s have the wider soundstage hands down, if that's your sole metric. Listen to Soulvaki or Pet Sounds.

mostly used for gaming and movies at night so as not to disturb neighbors (mostly the former and for online shooters) and not a basshead so yeah leaning towards keeping the 598s. thanks for the music selections. :)

Waikis

This amp looks ridiculously amazing?!

(Stolen from Reddit)
Mtp0cj1.jpg

X-Frame

I have a couple questions with my new Schiit Stack please:

1. Is there a difference between using the USB vs. the Optical connection to my computer? They're both digital correct? Is one preferred? I have USB now but could order Optical if I need to.

2. This Modi 2 Uber disables my Mac's system volume control, is that also normal? That didn't happen with my FiiO E10K .. which I always had at 100% anyway but want to make sure this is correct.

3. Should I be using LO or HI Gain for the Modi 2 Uber with my HE-400i's?

Thank you!!

Hip Hop

Got my HD 598's.

Absolutely lacking for most Hip-Hop (Mostly the only genre I listen to), bass/starts to distort at high volume, etc., and EQ only helps so much.

but that's not the reason I got them for. For everything else, they are pretty great. Got them for gaming and they are pretty awesome in that respect.

HiResDes

I have a couple questions with my new Schiit Stack please:

1. Is there a difference between using the USB vs. the Optical connection to my computer? They're both digital correct? Is one preferred? I have USB now but could order Optical if I need to.

2. This Modi 2 Uber disables my Mac's system volume control, is that also normal? That didn't happen with my FiiO E10K .. which I always had at 100% anyway but want to make sure this is correct.

3. Should I be using LO or HI Gain for the Modi 2 Uber with my HE-400i's?

Thank you!!
1. USB is just fine, believe they're comparable
2. Normal
3. Low gain for sure

That and the Starlight are the two I'm leaning towards. The only reason the Starlight is swaying me is because it is a good deal cheaper.

What DAC are you using with it?

I have an O2/ODAC combo as well as a Titanium HD sound card. They sound pretty much the same to my ears. Maybe the ODAC is a touch more detailed. I was debating between the Solstice, Ember and Valhalla 2. Decided on the Garage1217 amps because they only use 1 tube and the Solstice because it was cheaper and more compact.

I have an O2/ODAC combo as well as a Titanium HD sound card. They sound pretty much the same to my ears. Maybe the ODAC is a touch more detailed. I was debating between the Solstice, Ember and Valhalla 2. Decided on the Garage1217 amps because they only use 1 tube and the Solstice because it was cheaper and more compact.

Having to only roll with one tube is definitely a huge money saver. What kind of differences did you notice with your hd650s after upgrading from the O2/ODAC to the Solstice?

I had a minor A/V revelatory moment a couple of days ago. I could not be bothered to go and get my usual IEMs so used a pair that came with an MP3 player. I had previously thought that they were okay but having got used to the other pair it was like hearing it all whilst submerged under water. The difference in audio quality really took me aback. Just a silly little anecdote but personally instructive. Thankfully I have a nice pair of Trinity Hyperion's arriving tomorrow so won't need to used those cheap IEMs again unless I have an emergency A/V situation.

I had a minor A/V revelatory moment a couple of days ago. I could not be bothered to go and get my usual IEMs so used a pair that came with an MP3 player. I had previously thought that they were okay but having got used to the other pair it was like hearing it all whilst submerged under water. The difference in audio quality really took me aback. Just a silly little anecdote but personally instructive. Thankfully I have a nice pair of Trinity Hyperion's arriving tomorrow so won't need to used those cheap IEMs again unless I have an emergency A/V situation.

It really is a shock to the ears. We wonder how we ever heard audio any other way.

EDIT: Hey HiResDes, those Sonorous headphones you recommended just dropped on Massdrop for $299. Hmm...decisions...

shoreu

Anyone can vouch for the V-MODA Crossfade M-100? I had the 80 and it was pretty good. They were built like a tank and I loved the fact they came with a case.

Thinking of getting a pair tonight once they go live on the MS store. They will be $145.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...lack_Friday_Leak_11-20-15_Hero_PreviewNow_HVC

How much did you pay for those?

They normally run for $299 but i didn't have to pay for that much via employee discount.

I have to say after about a week or so of use they are worth it the sounds are amazing and the ability to download presets, and custom audio presets are amazing. Playing tomb raider, Fallout 4, and Halo 5 have been great.
Plus you can connect to the Console, Pc, and your cellphone all at the same time.

Sealed

Banned
hi guys

so for all of 2015 basically I've been buying cheap ($10 - $15) pairs of earphones, and they've all failed on me after a few months, usually one of the earbuds loses sound. I figure that I can repeat this forever, or I could actually buy a pair of nice earphones for once. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so as long as they don't sound bad, I would use them. I'd prefer something in ear, and maybe bluetooth, but wired works just as well. I'd like to not go too much over $50 if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

hi guys

so for all of 2015 basically I've been buying cheap ($10 - $15) pairs of headphones, and they've all failed on me after a few months, usually one of the earbuds loses sound. I figure that I can repeat this forever, or I could actually buy a pair of nice headphones for once. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so as long as they don't sound bad, I would use them. I'd prefer something in ear, and maybe bluetooth, but wired works just as well. I'd like to not go too much over $50 if possible.

Thanks

What type of music do you usually listen to? And where do you plan on using the headphones? People in this thread can make better recommendations based on that information.

That said, Koss Portapros are under $40 on Amazon and have a lifetime warranty. So even if you break them, you can just get a replacement for free! Be warned: they do leak sound, so if you were using them on the bus or an airplane, the person sitting next to you would be able to hear what you're listening to, if the volume is high enough.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interesting in buying a new pair of in-ear headphones to upgrade (sound quality and durability) from my current Panasonic RP-TCM125 Ergo Fit (former Wirecutter recommendation for < $40 earbuds). Looking to spend around $100 or less.

I'll mainly be using it while traveling, primarily on planes, trains, car rides, hotel rooms, etc and driven by either my iPhone 6S or my 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I listen to a lot of Progressive House, Deep House, and other similar Electronic music (deadmau5, Eric Prydz, Pryda, Cirez D, Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, Above & Beyond, M83, Porter Robinson). I also listen to a good amount of pop and hip-hop.

I've been doing some research and see the VSonic GR07, Shure SE215 and RHA MA750 pop up a lot. However, they also need to be wrapped around the ear to wear (I think) vs. just hanging down, like my current Panasonics. I have a feeling I'll get quickly annoyed by that wear style, so I'm wondering if it's even possible to find a solid pair of IEMs that don't have to be worn that way (or if I just need to suck it up and get used to it). If not, then I would be interested in knowing which of the 3 models that I listed might fit my needs best (or if there are better options!). Also, a built-in mic would be nice (and probably tip the scales one way if it's a close call), but not at all necessary. I don't care about volume controls or next/prev buttons on the cord, I always use my device for that.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Sealed

Banned
What type of music do you usually listen to? And where do you plan on using the headphones? People in this thread can make better recommendations based on that information.

That said, Koss Portapros are under $40 on Amazon and have a lifetime warranty. So even if you break them, you can just get a replacement for free! Be warned: they do leak sound, so if you were using them on the bus or an airplane, the person sitting next to you would be able to hear what you're listening to, if the volume is high enough.

not really sure about genre for every single song, but I listen to a lot of hip hop and rock/(pop)punk ish music (think Blink 182, Breaking Benjamin, All Time Low, etc.) and Ska music. If I can link spotify playlists I wouldn't mind doing that.

they would be pretty general purpose I guess, I would listen to music while walking to/from class, studying in public places, coffee shops, but I would also use them at home. Anywhere and everywhere is fair game.

those headphones do look nice, but I would prefer something in ear

edit: according to the OP, IEM headphones are what I prefer, as opposed to earbuds

edit2: i changed my other post to say earphones, I think that's more correct than headphones for what I want but idk lol

Having to only roll with one tube is definitely a huge money saver. What kind of differences did you notice with your hd650s after upgrading from the O2/ODAC to the Solstice?

The bass is more emphasized. There is more feeling to the music and everything sounds more lively compared to the O2 which is more neutral and colder sounding. The nice thing about tube rolling is that you can find a tube to complement the darker sound of the HD650 if you get bored of that.

Shun

Copped a pair of these, was wondering what file format is the best compromise for file size and quality? I'm probably just going to be reimporting through iTunes.

I have the original CDs on me but to save space should I stick with ALAC, AAC, or other alternatives for when I bring my music on my iPhone/Macbook around?

Antiwhippy

I'm interesting in buying a new pair of in-ear headphones to upgrade (sound quality and durability) from my current Panasonic RP-TCM125 Ergo Fit (former Wirecutter recommendation for < $40 earbuds). Looking to spend around $100 or less.

I'll mainly be using it while traveling, primarily on planes, trains, car rides, hotel rooms, etc and driven by either my iPhone 6S or my 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I listen to a lot of Progressive House, Deep House, and other similar Electronic music (deadmau5, Eric Prydz, Pryda, Cirez D, Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, Above & Beyond, M83, Porter Robinson). I also listen to a good amount of pop and hip-hop.

I've been doing some research and see the VSonic GR07, Shure SE215 and RHA MA750 pop up a lot. However, they also need to be wrapped around the ear to wear (I think) vs. just hanging down, like my current Panasonics. I have a feeling I'll get quickly annoyed by that wear style, so I'm wondering if it's even possible to find a solid pair of IEMs that don't have to be worn that way (or if I just need to suck it up and get used to it). If not, then I would be interested in knowing which of the 3 models that I listed might fit my needs best (or if there are better options!). Also, a built-in mic would be nice (and probably tip the scales one way if it's a close call), but not at all necessary. I don't care about volume controls or next/prev buttons on the cord, I always use my device for that.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

If you're adamant about cable down give the sennheiser momentum in-ear a look. I tend to find cable down more uncomfortable than over ear, but that's just my personal preference.

Copped a pair of these, was wondering what file format is the best compromise for file size and quality? I'm probably just going to be reimporting through iTunes.

I have the original CDs on me but to save space should I stick with ALAC, AAC, or other alternatives for when I bring my music on my iPhone/Macbook around?

Since your on ios, assuming you can't use FLAC. In that case I would go ALAC, unless space is a huge concern for you, then do 320 AAC. Though I highly recommend lossless or lossy formats.

Antiwhippy

AAC doesn't use 320 kbps for 2 channel audio. It's already very good at 128 kbps.

Don't go lossless unless you can afford the space. I can, but I can barely tell the difference between lossless and good quality lossy compression. Compression technology is very good now, so don't be too worried about it.

andylsun

I find that ALAC on my laptop and then Itunes can auto-compress all music copied to my iPhone at AAC 256kbps works really well.

I like to keep at least one lossless copy for when a new compression format comes out, then I can reencode from lossless

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If you're adamant about cable down give the sennheiser momentum in-ear a look. I tend to find cable down more uncomfortable than over ear, but that's just my personal preference.

Would it be a significant compromise in sound quality to go with the Momentum over the others listed, though? Or do they stand up pretty well to the others?

HiResDes

Would it be a significant compromise in sound quality to go with the Momentum ovt.er the others listed, though? Or do they stand up pretty well to the others?
r
Sennheiser Momentum are great sounding IEMs, thought they were in the OP. I think the JVC HA-FXT90 and Alpha Delta AD01 would also be good choices. But for cable down specifically the Momentum might be the most comfortable. They compare favorably to the others you listen specifically for the genres of music you seem to favor.
AAC doesn't use 320 kbps for 2 channel audio. It's already very good at 128 kbps.

Don't go lossless unless you can afford the space. I can, but I can barely tell the difference between lossless and good quality lossy compression. Compression technology is very good now, so don't be too worried about it.

Exactly the answer I'd give. There is the middle ground of 256 kbps AAC, but it's not really necessary.
hi guys

so for all of 2015 basically I've been buying cheap ($10 - $15) pairs of earphones, and they've all failed on me after a few months, usually one of the earbuds loses sound. I figure that I can repeat this forever, or I could actually buy a pair of nice earphones for once. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so as long as they don't sound bad, I would use them. I'd prefer something in ear, and maybe bluetooth, but wired works just as well. I'd like to not go too much over $50 if possible.

Thanks

What kind of music do you favor?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Sennheiser Momentum are great sounding IEMs, thought they were in the OP. I think the JVC HA-FXT90 and Alpha Delta AD01 would also be good choices. But for cable down specifically the Momentum might be the most comfortable. They compare favorably to the others you listen specifically for the genres of music you seem to favor.

You're right, they are in the OP. For some reason I was under the impression that the OP only covered on-ear headphones so I didn't even think to check. Might be worth splitting the sections up with headings for type, FWIW.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm leaning towards the Momentums then. Anything about either the JVC HA-FXT90 or Alpha Delta AD01 that might push those ahead? Why are there always so many good options to choose from : P

If I order from Amazon, listen to them, and don't like the sound, is it possible to return headphones normally or do they give you a hard time about that?

X-Frame

Does anyone have any recommendations for over or on-ear headphones to get for my 6 and 8 year old girl cousins? They want some for Christmas.

My Aunt doesn't want anything expensive for them obviously. I'm thinking $40 or so and below?

Top Bottom