• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Xander51

Ah, I should've guess it isn't as simple as one being better than the other. I have Sennheiser HD 439s and I absolutely love them for listening to music outside. The headphone I choose between these two are only going to be used for listening to music on PC, playing games, and messing around with music production. In this case, the 598s sound better for me.

Ah nice, yeah, sounds like a good choice, especially since you've already got a portable headphone.

leng jai

The 598's are much much better than the M50x if you're basing it on pure sound quality. It's also one of the most recommended headphones for video games.

mr stroke

How would you guys compare Sennheiser 598s vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x to each other? The Sennheisers look nicer and more comfortable, but I read the quality on those is worse than the ATH.

I actually prefer the M50's because of the better bass response. The 598's have zero bass. But the 598's are fantastic for games.

If you go with the M50's I suggest buying the Brainwaves replacement velour pads. It turns the M50's into the most comfortable headphones ever.

I've never understood how the 598 could be seen as having VERY little to no bass. It isn't bassy, but it has a great balance that works well with just about everything unless your headbanging to EDM.

I would describe the bass as balanced, just a little bit north of neutral.

LQX

The price of the Fostex T50RP MK3 just got better. There is now a $20 off code and it is eligible for $50 rebate. So you can potentially get these for about $70. Supposedly these turn into one of the best sub $200 headphones by just replacing the earpads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqm50k-PK30

http://slickdeals.net/f/8672103-fos...50rp-68-15-or-t40rp-mk3-85-99-ac-ar-fs-mf?v=1

I've never understood how the 598 could be seen as having VERY little to no bass. It isn't bassy, but it has a great balance that works well with just about everything unless your headbanging to EDM.

I would describe the bass as balanced, just a little bit north of neutral.
Same here. Sure I have heard better bass but I really loved everything about 598, bass and all. I sort of blind bought them and after reading up on them I was sort of surprised the bass was such an issue for many as I never really felt them lacking in even my games like COD, the still explosions sounded great to me.

leng jai

It's the same as when people claim the HD800s have no bass which is even more absurd. It comes from being used to bass canons and having a skewed perception on what is neutral.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's having different standards. They have ok bass but bassheads aren't necessarily looking for bass to dominate the music, but the actual physical sensation of bass, which most headphones are very poor at replicating. You feel the bass nearly in your chest in a concert and even some 2.1 setups, but most headphones feel anemic which is why I feel neutral doesn't necessarily sound like how I would hear it in a live event.

Which is kinda why I think that while I feel the HD600 has appropriate bass level, it doesn't exactly have the impact.

HiResDes

Yeah I'm not a basshead in terms of quantity, but I appreciate detailed bass with lots of depth...I don't think the 598's bass has much depth at all.

The price of the Fostex T50RP MK3 just got better. There is now a $20 off code and it is eligible for $50 rebate. So you can potentially get these for about $70. Supposedly these turn into one of the best sub $200 headphones by just replacing the earpads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqm50k-PK30

http://slickdeals.net/f/8672103-fos...50rp-68-15-or-t40rp-mk3-85-99-ac-ar-fs-mf?v=1

Same here. Sure I have heard better bass but I really loved everything about 598, bass and all. I sort of blind bought them and after reading up on them I was sort of surprised the bass was such an issue for many as I never really felt them lacking in even my games like COD, the still explosions sounded great to me.

I'd be all over the Fostex if I didn't have a Vibro on the way.

FoxSpirit

It's the same as when people claim the HD800s have no bass which is even more absurd. It comes from being used to bass canons and having a skewed perception on what is neutral.
Well, that's not true. I always loved the bass on the 800, lean but very precise and tout. That thing can deliver some serious hits.
On the other hand, my 650 feel anemic. I mean, it's there but it feels overly tight and compressed with no solidity when run through the O2+ODAC chain.

I feel people nowadays completely pass over the DT-880, eventhough they sound excellent AND they have that physical bass.

Any of you guys have any experience with IE80s? Managed to find a good price on a pair on Amazon Warehouse Deals, but after finding out about how common the knock offs are I'm paranoid. They sound great and from what I've been able to gather they don't appear to show the signs of the knock offs such as the cheaper connectors or the sticker-line Sennheiser logo on the housing themselves, but I'm still paranoid about it.

Any of you guys have any experience with IE80s? Managed to find a good price on a pair on Amazon Warehouse Deals, but after finding out about how common the knock offs are I'm paranoid. They sound great and from what I've been able to gather they don't appear to show the signs of the knock offs such as the cheaper connectors or the sticker-line Sennheiser logo on the housing themselves, but I'm still paranoid about it.

Should be alright since it's Amazon. Even if it is fake, just return it.

x3sphere

I ordered a pair of HD800 S from Amazon Warehouse Deals last night, they had a used pair with just a note that the box was damaged for almost $400 less. Wasn't planning on getting them, but that seemed like a good discount for a pair of recently released headphones.

Can't wait to compare them to my HD800.

Radnom

How would you guys compare Sennheiser 598s vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x to each other? The Sennheisers look nicer and more comfortable, but I read the quality on those is worse than the ATH.

My main headphones are Sennheiser 558 which are comparable to 598s. They're very, very light and comfortable. The 598s specifically look great in person, and strangely enough, they seem near indestructible. I got to see and try them on in a store once and the salesman grabbed each ear and twisted the entire set so that the ears were pointing in opposite directions. It's possible because the part that goes over your head isn't solid plastic, it's leather or something else more pliable. It was difficult to watch the guy wrench and twist the cans around, but the headphones were fine.

The cable the 558 and 598 come with is not suitable for portable use as it's super long and has a 1/4" connector on the end so it generally needs a 1/4" -> 3.5mm connector which is a hassle, but you can get an official replacement cable that is shorter and ends in a 3.5mm connection which is way more convenient.

I haven't owned Audio Technica headphones, so I can't really give an accurate comparison, but the Sennheisers sound better to me personally. I like the open cans and I also like being able to hear my environment around me so I don't get hit by cars or whatever. So if you don't mind outside noise leakage and you get the alternate cable, the 598s could be a great portable set too because they're light and comfortable and ridiculously hardy.

SourBear

Banned
Looking for some help.

I own Senn. 650's. I've had them for over a year now but I'm constantly troubled by ear pain after about an hour of use. The pain is due to my ears getting crushed. I have to take the headphones off and massage the tops of my ears and I feel much better.

I'm seriously considering selling the 650's and getting a different headphone. Does anyone have any recommendations for a headphone that won't crush my ears? Price range wise I'd be looking at similar to 650's. Which were about the $400-$500 range.

Sound wise I love the 650's. Comfort wise I hate them.

Xander51

Looking for some help.

I own Senn. 650's. I've had them for over a year now but I'm constantly troubled by ear pain after about an hour of use. The pain is due to my ears getting crushed. I have to take the headphones off and massage the tops of my ears and I feel much better.

I'm seriously considering selling the 650's and getting a different headphone. Does anyone have any recommendations for a headphone that won't crush my ears? Price range wise I'd be looking at similar to 650's. Which were about the $400-$500 range.

I apologize in advance for the novice nature of these questions, and I hope they don't offend you. But they will help in your quest to find a more comfy headphone. The main thing is to figure out if it's the ear pad size or the clamping force causing the problems.

Is the ear pad touching your ear at all? In my experience, Sennheiser pads tend to be among the largest and most comfortable, but if your ear is not fitting in the opening that could be causing issues. But it would also mean you have rather large ears and it would make finding a replacement that doesn't touch your ear a little difficult.

Also, the 650's are known to have a higher clamping force than some other Sennheiser headphones, have you tried stretching them over a box?

The only headphone off the top of my head I can think of with a larger/different ear pad shape that might fit better in your price range is the Sennheiser HD 700, but not everyone loves that headphone and I've never worn it personally.

I have a large head and slightly larger than normal ears, and I've had good luck comfort-wise with Sony's MDR-1A, Bose's QC 25's, and the Blue Mo-Fi. But they all have slightly smaller pad openings than Sennheisers usually do. (I prefer closed headphones).

SourBear

Banned
I apologize in advance for the novice nature of these questions, and I hope they don't offend you. But they will help in your quest to find a more comfy headphone. The main thing is to figure out if it's the ear pad size or the clamping force causing the problems.

Is the ear pad touching your ear at all? In my experience, Sennheiser pads tend to be among the largest and most comfortable, but if your ear is not fitting in the opening that could be causing issues. But it would also mean you have rather large ears and it would make finding a replacement that doesn't touch your ear a little difficult.

Also, the 650's are known to have a higher clamping force than some other Sennheiser headphones, have you tried stretching them over a box?

The pads aren't touching the edges of my ear. It's not the circumference of my ear that is the issue but the amount and angle from which my ears stick out from my head. I think it's both the clamping force of the 650 as well as the cups or pads not being deep enough to prevent my ear from hitting the back of the cup.

Xander51

The pads aren't touching the edges of my ear. It's not the circumference of my ear that is the issue but the amount and angle from which my ears stick out from my head. I think it's both the clamping force of the 650 as well as the cups or pads not being deep enough to prevent my ear from hitting the back of the cup.

That's good info! But I'm at a bit of a loss as far as suggestions for an open headphone. If you're open to closed models, I'd recommend at least trying out a Sony MDR-1A if you can. Nice deep ear cups with a light clamp. I'm sure someone else can make more recommendations.

SourBear

Banned
I'm not married to open. And I don't want to leave the impression that I'm only interested in headphones that cost more than $400. I want a good sounding can, for sure. But I want to value comfort first.

leng jai

The HD650s are pretty uncomfortable due to the clamping force. The HD800 by contrast have enormous cups and a better headband so they are one of the most comfortable headphones around. Beyers are pretty comfortable too but the cups can be small depending on the size of your wears.

HiResDes

Looking for some help.

Sony MDRMA900 (you'd be losing out on a little bass, and build quality, but they're probably the most comfortable and lightest weight headphone I've ever had)
AKG K712 Pro (Less bass, more treble, fairly loose fitting so might be more comfortable)
Pioneer SE-A1000s (completely different tier, but they kinda sound like 650s without the soundstage and losing out on a little detail, huge pads/loose fitting)

SuperSah

Banned
Can anyone recommend some cool headphone stands? Looking for one which will look clean along a rMBP.

I saw this, any thoughts?:

It has 3 USB 3.0 ports for whatever reason and a headphone jack too.

But importantly, it has cable management behind it, and it's all aluminium with chamfered edges.

Aluminum-USB-3-Headphone-Stand-by-Satechi-03.jpg

LQX

Looking for some help.

I'm with you. I found them uncomfortable also.

Being that your budget is $500 maybe the Sennheiser HD700? Also, Massdrop currently has the AKG K7XX Red Edition for $199. Maybe try those? I much prefer them over my HD600 and they are super comfortable.

NotSelf

^ I have ears that stick out so comfort has always been an issue with me as well here's some suggestions for headphones that I find very comfortable.

Denon's AH-D2000 these are discontinued but fostex are still making them th-x00 from mass drop are the cheapest the ear opening looks a bit smaller on th-x00 but it also looks like they have the same thickness on ear pads.

I'm agreement with LQX the AKG K7XX I personally have no pain on the ears wearing them there also very light.

sennheiser dt770 I found to be very comfortable.

fostex t50rp are comfortable with Alpha pads there are also zmf pads which I haven't tried but look comfortable. Putting thicker pads will increase the clamping but you can bend the headband on the t50rp.

mr stroke

I'm with you. I found them uncomfortable also.

Being that your budget is $500 maybe the Sennheiser HD700? Also, Massdrop currently has the AKG K7XX Red Edition for $199. Maybe try those? I much prefer them over my HD600 and they are super comfortable.

+1

You can find the HD700's used around $350-400 and they are hands down the most comfortable stock headphones on the planet.

Tommy DJ

Sony MDR-MA900 is the probably the best suggestion here. The last good headphone Sony has released in recent memory.

People who are suggesting the HD700 are 100% wrong. It's a stock HD800 with even more grating treble and none of the benefits that the HD800 brings to the table. And I'm speaking as someone who owns the HD800 - the stock sound signature is worthless and dangerous to your hearing If you listen to more than audiophile ochestral recordings.

Despite the theory that audio is all about personal opinion, there are some headphones that just aren't good. The HD700 is one of them.

leng jai

I think the HD700 has similar comfort levels to the 800 with those huge cups. I've never heard them but it seems to be pretty unpopular.

Ghazi

My main headphones are Sennheiser 558 which are comparable to 598s. They're very, very light and comfortable. The 598s specifically look great in person, and strangely enough, they seem near indestructible. I got to see and try them on in a store once and the salesman grabbed each ear and twisted the entire set so that the ears were pointing in opposite directions. It's possible because the part that goes over your head isn't solid plastic, it's leather or something else more pliable. It was difficult to watch the guy wrench and twist the cans around, but the headphones were fine.

The cable the 558 and 598 come with is not suitable for portable use as it's super long and has a 1/4" connector on the end so it generally needs a 1/4" -> 3.5mm connector which is a hassle, but you can get an official replacement cable that is shorter and ends in a 3.5mm connection which is way more convenient.

I haven't owned Audio Technica headphones, so I can't really give an accurate comparison, but the Sennheisers sound better to me personally. I like the open cans and I also like being able to hear my environment around me so I don't get hit by cars or whatever. So if you don't mind outside noise leakage and you get the alternate cable, the 598s could be a great portable set too because they're light and comfortable and ridiculously hardy.
They sound perfect for me, then, really miffed I missed when they were $60 on Amazon now.

I recently bought Sony MDR-1A's and Beats solo 2's.

I have had to exchange the sony's three times and I still have a pair that has a slight channel imbalance, the right is louder by 1,5dB. However they are very fun to listen to. Sucks that the repair centre Sony offers is 200 kilometres away.

The solo's sound very much like the 1A's and do not have this imbalance, so I've been using them a lot even though they were supposed to be my "on-the-go" headphones.

Have been trying a lot of over-ears, but idk, it's like its normal for them to have channel imbalance and I really don't like that.

Ooh, have you had experience with the 1000 to compare it to?

The 1000 sounded really nice but not for that price.

Christmas came early, got the HEX tonight! I haven't heard the 1000, though I am bringing these to a meet next weekend and I bet there is a 1000 there to compare too.

Amzin

Hey all. This thread has been super helpful in the past, and now I have yet another question. I have had a pair of Superlux HD668B for my desktop for years now and they've held up great. I'm now wondering, if I want even better sound quality and only have the budget for one thing, should I get a higher-level pair of headphones or a dac/amp thingy? I say "thingy" because, despite reading the OP, I'm not entirely sure what a DAC does or whether I should care as a low-end audiophile, and I'm not sure whether an amp makes any kind of sense for those Superlux.

EDIT: Totally forgot, wanted to include a link/mention of the headphone holder I use for my desk since I didn't see one like it in the OP: The Anchor Under-Desk Mount. It's not as flashy as many of the others (since you can't actually SEE it or the headphones, frequently) but it's great for my purposes, super cheap, and has held up fine for well over a year now.

NotSelf

Hey all. This thread has been super helpful in the past, and now I have yet another question. I have had a pair of Superlux HD668B for my desktop for years now and they've held up great. I'm now wondering, if I want even better sound quality and only have the budget for one thing, should I get a higher-level pair of headphones or a dac/amp thingy? I say "thingy" because, despite reading the OP, I'm not entirely sure what a DAC does or whether I should care as a low-end audiophile, and I'm not sure whether an amp makes any kind of sense for those Superlux.

EDIT: Totally forgot, wanted to include a link/mention of the headphone holder I use for my desk since I didn't see one like it in the OP: The Anchor Under-Desk Mount. It's not as flashy as many of the others (since you can't actually SEE it or the headphones, frequently) but it's great for my purposes, super cheap, and has held up fine for well over a year now.

If your happy with your current set up I recommend you just stay with it. If you go up in quality it may just send you on a never ending journey of trying to find the perfect headphone.

HiResDes

Oh yeah those are very cool and ergonomic as well. I would skip the DAC for now and just focus on getting some good budget headphones. Give us an exact budget, whether you want closed or open headphones, and what kind of sound signature you're looking for to get a good recommendation

HiResDes

Also guys Sennheiser has a new closed set that look pretty interesting:

LL
LL

Sennheiser said:
Launching the HD 630VB, audio specialist Sennheiser is introducing its first closed audiophile headphone model at the HIGH END show in Munich. The circumaural headphones deliver balanced, audiophile sound and offer a distraction-free listening experience, whether at home or on the move. Featuring a rotary bass dial, the HD 630VB allows for the user to customize the bass response according to their personal preferences.

AUDIOPHILE SOUND WITH OPTIONAL BASS BOOST

With the launch of the closed-back HD 630VB, audio specialist Sennheiser combines the brilliant sound of open audiophile models with excellent ambient noise attenuation. The new headphones deliver an impressively spatial sound image, while allowing for the users to enjoy their listening experience without any distractions. “The HD 630VB is a milestone for Sennheiser: For the first time, we translated our long-standing experience in the field of high-end audio into a closed-back design. Featuring passive noise cancelling, the HD 630VB reliably insulates the user from ambient noise, so he can fully focus on his music”, said Axel Grell, Portfolio Manager Audiophile at Sennheiser.

Specifically developed for the HD 630VB, Sennheiser’s proprietary high-performance transducer is the “heart” of this model. It delivers the power for an intense bass experience which can be customized via a rotary bass dial according to the listening environment, the music being played and the user’s individual preferences. With total harmonic distortion of less than 0.08 percent (at 1 kHz and 100 dB sound pressure level) and thanks to a coil wire made from pure aluminium, the HD 630VB achieves an unaltered sound image with a precise reproduction of voices and instruments in the midranges and brilliant trebles.

EXCEPTIONAL SOUND EXPERIENCE AT HOME AND ON THE MOVE

With an impedance as low as 23 Ω, the HD 630VB is an ideal companion to portable music devices as well. Offering a frequency response of 10 to 42,000 HZ, the headphones are suitable for reproducing high-resolution audio files. Enjoyment of quality audio on the move is effortless thanks to a collapsible design that has been crafted from lightweight materials: Sennheiser used dampened aluminium on the ear cups, headband and sliders. “We chose these robust materials to ensure maximum durability”, said Axel Grell. “Additionally, we made sure the ear pads are exchangeable and easy to replace.” Featuring a remote control on the right ear cup and a microphone which has been integrated into the high-quality OFC cable, users can comfortably control music and take calls on current smartphone models.

CLEAN DESIGN LANGUAGE AND EXCELLENT COMFORT

Styled with Sennheiser’s clean, contemporary design ethos, the HD 630VB radiates cool, purpose and performance, combining great comfort with desirable good looks. The adjustable headband lets users achieve the perfect fit, while the soft ear pads give enhanced comfort even over long periods of listening enjoyment. “The HD 630VB impresses with both its exceptional sound performance and its minimalistic modern design”, said Axel Grell.

The HD 630VB will be available through selected Sennheiser sales partners from June. Sennheiser offers a two-year warranty on the headphones.

Would be interesting if it really offers a balanced sound, as most closed sennheisers I've tried are anything but. I don't really care for the aesthetics though.

I ordered a pair of HD800 S from Amazon Warehouse Deals last night, they had a used pair with just a note that the box was damaged for almost $400 less. Wasn't planning on getting them, but that seemed like a good discount for a pair of recently released headphones.

Can't wait to compare them to my HD800.

Let me know what you think. I love mine.

Amzin

If your happy with your current set up I recommend you just stay with it. If you go up in quality it may just send you on a never ending journey of trying to find the perfect headphone.

I doubt it, but appreciate the worry :p I'm happy with it but curious, I guess, what I'm missing out on.

Oh yeah those are very cool and ergonomic as well. I would skip the DAC for now and just focus on getting some good budget headphones. Give us an exact budget, whether you want closed or open headphones, and what kind of sound signature you're looking for to get a good recommendation

I would go for closed or mostly-closed, like my Superlux. I don't have an exact budget in mind, as this is something I will probably do in a few months. Less than $200 would be ideal, so if it's a pair that really needs an amp, that might be rough. I'm about to buy some portable headphones for walking/cafe'ing (maybe 2 even) so home headphones are a later thing.

Top Bottom