• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Looks like Mr Speakers still have a few Alpha Primes left...kinda tempting.

The Primes have gotten wildly different impressions depending on what site you visit.

Personally I'd take a look at the Omni if you want an expensive t50rp mod. I have a pair of Vibros on the way too.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Thanks. Do they leak sound badly? I'll be using it on the bus a fair bit.

They're easily the leakiest of all the closed headphones I own. Well except the x00, but those are flat out semi-open. Maybe at modest volumes you won't bother people but I'd still say it's an issue for something you'll be using outdoors.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've had idiots bumping songs using Bluetooth speakers on buses now so maybe that won't be as bad in comparison?

I think the lack of decently priced high end closed headphones have inspired me to give the PM3s some more use.

It's a challenge for sure. I liked the pm3 when I had them aside from the congested soundstage.

Then I tried the Beyer DT150. Best soundstage and imaging I've ever heard in a closed headphone. Balanced sound too and no treble mountain that's typical with Beyers.

Have a Vibro on order too so will compare when those come in.

leng jai

It's a challenge for sure. I liked the pm3 when I had them aside from the congested soundstage.

Then I tried the Beyer DT150. Best soundstage and imaging I've ever heard in a closed headphone. Balanced sound too and no treble mountain that's typical with Beyers.

Have a Vibro on order too so will compare when those come in.

I regret selling my D7000s now. Spent hours listening to the PM3s yesterday and my opinion hasn't changed. They're just so flat sounding and the comfort is poor for extended home use. Obviously being used to the HD800s means the bad comfort and limited soundstage is made even worse.

I would love to get a pair of TH900s or closed Ethers but the prices are ludicrous. The Purplehearts from Massdrop look promising, but you can't audition them, the cable is fixed and I can't be bothered with the 4 months wait time.

I regret selling my D7000s now. Spent hours listening to the PM3s yesterday and my opinion hasn't changed. They're just so flat sounding and the comfort is poor for extended home use. Obviously being used to the HD800s means the bad comfort and limited soundstage is made even worse.

I would love to get a pair of TH900s or closed Ethers but the prices are ludicrous. The Purplehearts from Massdrop look promising, but you can't audition them, the cable is fixed and I can't be bothered with the 4 months wait time.

The mahogany is getting a drop in May and the first orders will ship immediately. Thinking of getting a pair since I could probably sell it at cost if I don't like them.

leng jai

The mahogany is getting a drop in May and the first orders will ship immediately. Thinking of getting a pair since I could probably sell it at cost if I don't like them.

That's the one that was dropped at the end of last year right? I really like the Purplehearts actually, but the wait sucks. Still deciding on whether to get them or not.

You're right that they'd be easily resealable for minimal loss.

That's the one that was dropped at the end of last year right? I really like the Purplehearts actually, but the wait sucks. Still deciding on whether to get them or not.

You're right that they'd be easily resealable for minimal loss.

Yep, the same as late last year.

Reading that the Purplehearts have more sub bass. The mahogany versions are $50USD cheaper. I'm getting a headache thinking about this.

The only person outside of massdrop staff that has heard these is purrin over at sbaf. He says that they are almost identical and most people would be hard pressed to hear the differences. I'd pick whichever one you like more aesthetically, or if price is a concern then get the mahogany.

Really digging my Magni Uber. At first I thought the sound was a bit off compared to the e12 but then I turned off the gain and the quality improved a bit. Without gain it's still more than enough to power the HD700. I really like it.

leng jai

Stuff it, I'm just going to join the Purpleheart drop

tumblr_lo8ebjRapk1qmgl0uo1_500.jpg

leng jai

Problem is I'll probably buy something stupid like the Ethers while I'm waiting. Do Massdrop charge straight away? Never used them before.

Tommy DJ

If I remember correctly, they charged me for my Fostex TH-X00 when the drop was completed. Waited forever for them to reach Australia.

leng jai

If I remember correctly, they charged me for my Fostex TH-X00 when the drop was completed. Waited forever for them to reach Australia.

"You will be charged when the group buy ends on or before Apr 16, 2016 and only at the lowest unlocked price."

I guess the freight forwarding takes ages also.

Antiwhippy

Go extra stupid and get a Fitear MH335DW, which I might actually get seeing how my financials are by the end of the year.

Antiwhippy

See, I feel the exact opposite, I'm more willing to pay up to $1000 for IEMs, while I have to consider long and hard before spending anywhere near $500 for headphones.

I just use IEMs more.

Blitzhex

Now that I've got an open, closed and portable pair. The headphone bug still hasn't withdrawn.
I need to get some CIEMs for travel and to satiate the bug, even though I only fly once or twice (round trip) a year. I would never actually wear my portables outdoors. Headphones outdoors look stupid and aren't as practical as iems.
Probably going to jump on the Ei.XX next drop. It's going to be the most expensive piece of audio equipment I've bought ($600), but the price is justified imo because of the nature of a ciem.

leng jai

In other news I found out what was causing the intermittent buzzing in my left channel. Turns out the plug on the power board was slightly loose and pushing it right in basically fixed it. Audio equipment is really finicky when it comes to getting clean power.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Did you ever post impressions? I live mine but didn't know you had them and respect your opinion.

HiResDes

Really. Why?

Well for one the headphones that you bought don't really scale much at all and lastly you indicated that you want more bass but would like to maintain clarity...That's not something a DAC is going to automatically grant you. The V-Moda house sound is already super bassy in comparison to what many people consider neutral and therefore you'd probably just be better off EQing in the amount of bass you want and living with whatever imbalance it causes. In my opinion if you find the sound signature lacking it would be better to find a pair of wired headphones with your ideal sound signature rather than buy a DAC, considering you probably won't notice much of a difference adding a portable DAC. I heard fitting them XL pads helps though if you just want to find a cheap way to improve the sound signature slightly.

Well for one the headphones that you bought don't really scale much at all and lastly you indicated that you want more bass but would like to maintain clarity...That's not something a DAC is going to automatically grant you. The V-Moda house sound is already super bassy in comparison to what many people consider neutral and therefore you'd probably just be better off EQing in the amount of bass you want and living with whatever imbalance it causes. In my opinion if you find the sound signature lacking it would be better to find a pair of wired headphones with your ideal sound signature rather than buy a DAC, considering you probably won't notice much of a difference adding a portable DAC. I heard fitting them XL pads helps though if you just want to find a cheap way to improve the sound signature slightly.

I'll do that, thanks!

HiResDes

AUD.

On ear is terrible for starters, and the Headfi impressions are that they sound marginally more exciting than the PM3s.

Fair enough, what about the Pandora Hope VI I don't hear anyone talking about them, but they often get compared to the TOTL offerings by those who do own them

leng jai

The SINE seems like a pointless headphone to me if the reports of sounding similar are true. Worst comfort and higher price than the PM3 cancels out any slight sonic improvements.

I bought the M50x ages ago for only $100 and I still didn't like them. Probably one of the most overrated headphones ever because they ended up being a bunch of people's first proper cans.

I bought the M50x ages ago for only $100 and I still didn't like them. Probably one of the most overrated headphones ever because they ended up being a bunch of people's first proper cans.

There's a reason people suggest them as a Beats alternative: they sound very similar. I never liked them all that much, as I felt the mids were extremely recessed. As far as similar-priced headphones go, I thought the HFI-580 were all-around superior.

23qwerty

So I got a Schiit Fulla and I want to use it with my Nexus 6p as well but it's a USB-C jack, and the Fulla uses a mini-usb jack, shouldn't be any issue with using this + a usb to mini usb cable, yeah?

Antiwhippy

So I got a Schiit Fulla and I want to use it with my Nexus 6p as well but it's a USB-C jack, and the Fulla uses a mini-usb jack, shouldn't be any issue with using this + a usb to mini usb cable, yeah?

I have the same adapter and it works with my dac, dunno about fulla but there's no real reason why it shouldn't.

Holy crap at $20 though. I got the exact same one from eBay for much less.

23qwerty

I have the same adapter and it works with my dac, dunno about fulla but there's no real reason why it shouldn't.

Holy crap at $20 though. I got the exact same one from eBay for much less.
It's only $17 actually and Canadian at that ;)
plus I'd rather make sure I don't get a USB c cable that destroys my phone

Top Bottom