• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

My Beyer DT 150 came in today, will post impressions in a couple days after I've given them a good listen.

How did you get on with these, if you don't mind me asking? I've been wanting to buy myself an inexpensive pair of neutral closed cans for awhile and these look like they might be just the ticket. I can't say I'm overly fond of their aesthetics but I would take function over form every time if I had to make that choice. Your perspective on them would be appreciated.

HiResDes

I doubt it, but appreciate the worry :p I'm happy with it but curious, I guess, what I'm missing out on.

I would go for closed or mostly-closed, like my Superlux. I don't have an exact budget in mind, as this is something I will probably do in a few months. Less than $200 would be ideal, so if it's a pair that really needs an amp, that might be rough. I'm about to buy some portable headphones for walking/cafe'ing (maybe 2 even) so home headphones are a later thing.
Beats Solo 2 would be my recommendation.

How did you get on with these, if you don't mind me asking? I've been wanting to buy myself an inexpensive pair of neutral closed cans for awhile and these look like they might be just the ticket. I can't say I'm overly fond of their aesthetics but I would take function over form every time if I had to make that choice. Your perspective on them would be appreciated.

They have the best soundstage and imaging I've heard in a closed headphone in this price range. They image just as well as my HD650. The overall tonality is actually pretty similar to the HD650. They don't have the typical Beyer mountain of treble. They do have a bit more mid-bass than I like. If your used to a more neutral or flat bass response you might find them a little bassy. Nothing that can't be solved with a little EQ though. Overall I really enjoy them and they get my recommendation.

If your in the US, I highly recommend ordering from Amazon UK. I'm not sure if you need Prime to do this, but it saved me over a hundred dollars versus the price on Amazon US.

They have the best soundstage and imaging I've heard in a closed headphone in this price range. They image just as well as my HD650. The overall tonality is actually pretty similar to the HD650. They don't have the typical Beyer mountain of treble. They do have a bit more mid-bass than I like. If your used to a more neutral or flat bass response you might find them a little bassy. Nothing that can't be solved with a little EQ though. Overall I really enjoy them and they get my recommendation.

If your in the US, I highly recommend ordering from Amazon UK. I'm not sure if you need Prime to do this, but it saved me over a hundred dollars versus the price on Amazon US.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; that was really helpful. Thankfully [on this occasion] I am in the UK so all sounds good from my point of view. They are currently £96 on Amazon UK and I might be able to get them a bit cheaper than that if I'm lucky. I would be happy with that though. Apart from IEMs the only headphones I currently have are my SHP9500s which I really like. It will be really good to have a decent closed pair though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Did. Thought there was a weird phasing issue in the treble region that made it sound incoherent, like there's a pretty jarring transition from upper mids to treble making the treble seem almost separate from the rest of the frequency range, but apparently that's an issue that has been fixed? Sounded nice otherwise, if a bit bright.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; that was really helpful. Thankfully [on this occasion] I am in the UK so all sounds good from my point of view. They are currently £96 on Amazon UK and I might be able to get them a bit cheaper than that if I'm lucky. I would be happy with that though. Apart from IEMs the only headphones I currently have are my SHP9500s which I really like. It will be really good to have a decent closed pair though.

They should be a nice upgrade over the Philips.

Has anyone here ever heard the Dharma D1000?

I really hope someone brings this to the meet next weekend. Want to try them out myself.

Tommy DJ

Did. Thought there was a weird phasing issue in the treble region that made it sound incoherent, like there's a pretty jarring transition from upper mids to treble making the treble seem almost separate from the rest of the frequency range, but apparently that's an issue that has been fixed? Sounded nice otherwise, if a bit bright.

Dunno how you can fix that issue unless you change how the entire crossover operates. I wonder if that warrants a warranty claim or if they would even honour one if they actually did this.

x3sphere

Let me know what you think. I love mine.

Got it a few days ago, been listening to music non-stop on it :D

Having had the HD 800 (never tried the mods, though), I think it's definitely an upgrade. The S has a more relaxed presentation, sounds slightly warmer and the treble peak being tamed helps brings out the rest of the frequencies more. Bass sounds a tad more natural on the S as well. I think most people will prefer the S - the slightly warmer sound makes it a more engaging and fun headphone to listen to.

I like the black color scheme as well, looks sleek. Hopefully this time the paint job is not prone to chipping, even though I took great care of it my old HD 800 developed some chips in the paint after about 3 years of ownership.

Pic:

ygOb.png

Antiwhippy

Dunno how you can fix that issue unless you change how the entire crossover operates. I wonder if that warrants a warranty claim or if they would even honour one if they actually did this.

That's what I wondered at the time. Maybe I listened to a unit where the crossover was kind of messed up? I do know that there have been claims that it was an issue on some units but is now fixed? Dunno.

Soodanim

Am I silly for wanting something like an HD650? I have a pair of 770 80ohms and want something open that doesn't have a V shaped sound for when I want to switch it up and/or hear people trying to call my name/listen to something that has mids. Amp/DAC is an E10K.

Antiwhippy

Sure, but do keep in mind that it'll be less trebley than the beyers. It's also $150 off at Newegg until the 25th of April.

Kudo

How do you deal with long cables coming from DAC/AMP? I feel unsafe just leaving it hanging around, so I'm trying to figure out something.
Don't want to be that guy who runs over the cable with chair and breaks it.

Duxxy3

Well I've had my DT770's for a couple weeks now. I regret not buying these a decade ago when I first heard of them. Would have saved me a lot of money.

This is probably an immensely stupid question, but can the DSS EarForce come remotely close to properly driving something like the DT990 250 Ohm or the AKG Q701 Open Headphones for gaming and movies? I know they will work and possibly even sound decent I am assuming, but can it make them sound good? I am sure they will all sound great, but it seems like most people are suggesting the Beyerdynamic headphones over the Audio Technica's and Sennheisers also. Are the Beyer's really that good?

Think I am going to go with an open pair and a closed pair. I can get the ATH-M50X at decent price locally, but most people seem to suggest the DT770's over them and say they do practically everything better, including the soundstage. Ahh...decisions.....decisions.....

LQX

This is probably an immensely stupid question, but can the DSS EarForce come remotely close to properly driving something like the DT990 250 Ohm or the AKG Q701 Open Headphones for gaming and movies? I know they will work and possibly even sound decent I am assuming, but can it make them sound good? I am sure they will all sound great, but it seems like most people are suggesting the Beyerdynamic headphones over the Audio Technica's and Sennheisers also. Are the Beyer's really that good?

Think I am going to go with an open pair and a closed pair. I can get the ATH-M50X at decent price locally, but most people seem to suggest the DT770's over them and say they do practically everything better, including the soundstage. Ahh...decisions.....decisions.....

I would say no, especially in regards to the DT990 250 Ohm(though I have not tried them). I just tried the AKG K7XX which is similar to the 701 and the DSS did not give them much presence. Yes you can hear them but you might as well use cheap earbuds.

The MX50X were actually pretty decent on them, so if you intent is to use whatever headphone you get with the DSS those you will get the most out off. The HD 598 also sounds pretty excellent on them.

I have never heard the DT770 so I cant say if they are better than the MX50.

So I ordered a pair of AKG M220 for the stupidest reason ever: they're beautiful.

MD-9656_20150722092725_e28ffb16ca4147d2.jpg

I'll probably regret it, since I own a pair of K612s which I'm sure are better... But I couldn't help it.

HiResDes

So I ordered a pair of AKG M220 for the stupidest reason ever: they're beautiful.

MD-9656_20150722092725_e28ffb16ca4147d2.jpg

I'll probably regret it, since I own a pair of K612s which I'm sure are better... But I couldn't help it.

Though they cost a shit ton headfi recommends trying the Beyerdynamic Velour pads on them - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MMYKA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Supposedly they sound like a more linear version of the AKG K240s so that's a really good sign.

I had actually owned the K271 MKIIs for a while, and really liked them. I'm assuming these will sound similar, but maybe more open? I always preferred the vinyl pads, though.

They're soooo pretty. Can't stop looking at that picture. lol.

Antiwhippy

At least your vanity phones is relatively inexpensive.

I think this design is about 60% of the reason why I kinda want a noble k10, though it is kind of obscenely expansive to get a k10 with a wizard design down here.

So pretty though.

Soulflarz

Banned
So-- if my in ears broke and I need a new pair just for general use (not audiophile levels, but you know, good enough to use!), whats the best pick thats not that pricey? Thanks!

I saw the list in the OP but didn't know what was a good pick exactly.

(Okay moreso posting it for my brother, but still :p)

Antiwhippy

Huh, didn't know that they're that expensive in america. If that's beyond your budget though, I'd have a look at:

Sony c10 (if he prefers a more neutral sound)
VSD3S (something with a bit more kick in the bass)

The upcoming Shozy Zero is probably gonna be a really strong contender for a "giant slayer." Anything that gets the Joe Bloggs seal of approval is worth paying attention to anyway. I've got a demo unit coming on the slow boat so I'm definitely looking forward to another low cost, high performance dynamic unit.

Soulflarz

Banned
The upcoming Shozy Zero is probably gonna be a really strong contender for a "giant slayer." Anything that gets the Joe Bloggs seal of approval is worth paying attention to anyway. I've got a demo unit coming on the slow boat so I'm definitely looking forward to another low cost, high performance dynamic unit.

So
Of all of those, he liked the look of shozy zero the most (he cares about sound quality obviously but is no audiphile so I gave him the basics on each)

Thats a good choice?
(I realize that one wasn't probably replying to me and it's an IEM, but I figured I'd ask!)
edit: Oh yeah :x since it's an IEM, if he went with that...erg...amp? That'd be a dealbreaker...
(watch him just go with the NarMoo S1)

Chuckl3s

Can anyone recommend me earbuds comparable to Klipsch IMAGE S4? I current rock the S4s but they are showing their ware and it sucks they don't make them anymore.

What are the best headphones(around the ear) for 120 bucks or less?(CDN) Im looking to mainly use these with my ipod.

Koss Pro DJ 100s are probably the most well-rounded and best headphone in the sub-$150 price range, so that would be my recommendation without knowing what kind of music you listen to.

Not sure what Canadian prices are like, but I think you should easily be able to find them within your budget.

Tommy DJ

Yep, Creative Aurvana Live is still the budget king.

Main issue with Koss Pro DJ100 is whether or not you can get a good seal with the godawful earpads.

Oh my, the M220 sound lovely. Much warmer sounding than the K271s, and really what I was looking for. All my other headphones are a little on the forward or sterile side, so these have found a nice place in my collection.

EDIT: So I think I like these more than the K612s. The K612s have a larger soundstage, but the imaging is missing a lot between the channels. Either everything is a tiny dot in the dead center, or it's far to the left and right. With the M220s, the soundstage is still big, but there's a smoother transition from middle to sides. It's much more natural sounding.

The mids are also better to my ears. Less forward on the upper end, and much more lush on the lower end. This really meshes well with the music I listen to, since most of the singers I listen to have grainy and/or harsh voices.

The bass doesn't extend as low, but it feels like it has a little more impact. Accentuation creeps up into the upper bass regions a little more, too? I have a terrible ear for bass, no doubt thanks to the XB700s, but I think that's what I hear. Gives it a warmer sound overall.

The detachable cable is also a HUGE plus for me. I'm always afraid I'm going to run over the K612s long-ass cable with my chair and wreck it. With these if I do I can just replace it. :3

Dartastic

Oh my god. I finally got my Trinity Delta's in today. Previously I had a pair of Bose in ear headphones, and I've been rocking the typical apple earbuds for a few months. The sound on these is absolutely insanely good. Holy shit. If anyone is looking for a pair of new earbuds, CHECK THESE OUT. Goddamn.

https://trinity-audio-engineering.m...trinity-delta-hybrid-v-ii-pre-order-yours-now

Checked out the new Beyonce, Kendrick, and Prince on them. These are fucking great.

Limit

GAF Bassheads back this KS, only 6 days left, and almost there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053327139/kannon-headphones-accurate-bass-you-can-feel

Just backed them for $319, Sounds like an amazing idea. People that have heard them say they are incredible for Bassheads. HeadFi saying these will be the new "Bass Kings" of headphones :eek:

Glad they got funded. My first time funding anything on KS too. Their constant use of basshead initially turned me off because I don't listen to that type of music but people at head fi who actually got to use it couldn't stop raving about it. All their talk of this being the most fun headphone they laid their hands on at some audiophile convention made me jump in. Looking forward to them later this year. Should be fun.

Glad they got funded. My first time funding anything on KS too. Their constant use of basshead initially turned me off because I don't listen to that type of music but people at head fi who actually got to use it couldn't stop raving about it. All their talk of this being the most fun headphone they laid their hands on at some audiophile convention made me jump in. Looking forward to them later this year. Should be fun.

To be fair, head-fi goes nuts for just about anything. I try not to get to hyped when reading head-fi impressions. It has lead to more disappointment than not.

leng jai

According to Headfi everything is incredible pre-release and for the first few months. That site is absolutely useless for measured opinions unless you know which users are actually worth listening to. If you banned buzz terms like "musical", "micro detail" and "instrument separation" then most of them would struggle to describe sound.

HiResDes

Yeah for some of the overly hyped things it's better to translate their descriptions like this:

Musical = Excessive midbass non existent treble
Micro detail = Excessive treble, weak bass
Instrument Separation = Flat boring headphone that just happens to also be open

Tommy DJ

I barely care about subjective impressions anymore because most people writing these things are more impressed with the $100-4000 they threw down on their product than the headphone itself.

AKG M220 impressions

The million dollar question here: does it sound similar to the K240 as they have the exact official specs and the overall aesthetic/design as the M220? Only asking because the M220 is difficult to find, being a Massdrop exclusive from memory.

Antiwhippy

Eh, to be fair on the kannon impressions, it's less about those useless phrases and more about the tactile feel from the haptic vibrators, which is what bassheads there are looking for. People there already described the sound as m50-esque which is what made me reluctant to put down so much money for something relatively untested, because I still prioritise sound over head-shaking bass. Though if that haptic technology is proven to be awesome once more people get it in I'd be down for one, especially if they can update their drivers with a better sound.

Properly tactile bass on headphones is so poorly done most of the time. For IEMs it's easier because it creates a closed environment with your canals, but obviously IEMs has some trade-off vs full sized cans.

Top Bottom