• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

NotSelf

Well, after 8 months of use, I'm thinking about selling my ATH-M50X.
The sound is great, but they're really uncomfortable. :(
I wear glasses and they really press hard (which is noticeable after a longer gaming session).
I got them last September for 100 pounds (via amazon.co.uk; they're 125 now) so I think I could get a good price for them (they never left the gaming room, are in pristine condition).

Since my primary use is gaming, I was thinking on getting Sennheiser 598.
Heard great things about them, especially for gaming.
They'll be in use for PC gaming only, hooked up to an oldie but goldie Pioneer VSX-D814 amp (connected via TOSLINK to my PC).
I need the comfort and sound quality.
Thoughts?

The best headphones in comfort while wearing glasses for me is denon d2000 discontinued but live on with fostex th-x00 I have not tried them yet but will soon hopefully there the same in comfort.

One thing I do with my eye glasses for over ear headphones is first put on the headphones then put on the arm rest of the glasses on top of the headphones ya it looks really stupid put you get no pressure and you get a good seal.

HiResDes

"You will find real Zero after burn-in 50hours"

Bothers me when they (headphone makers) say stuff like this.
I agree someone said they state Orchestra music sounds better after like 100 hours, but with a fairly warm IEM like this you're just acclimating your brain to its sound signature. Don't seen made for Orchestral music at all.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good place to sell headphones? I'm looking to sell my M50s and my HD650s.

I do most of my selling and buying on head-fi. There is also the buy/sell/trade thread here on Gaf. I haven't used it before but audiogon is another website you could try.

^ That's how most iems are worn. Earbuds are different and usually hang down the front.

Kind tempted by the re00 because I always wanted to listen to the re0.

Shipping date is killer though.

Massdrop needs to work on a better method to cut down on these shipping times. Probably the number one complaint I see. I understand why it takes so long, but they should probably work on a better way of doing it.

At $35 though, I'm not worried about it. However tying up $450 for months for the purpleheart is rough. One of the reasons dropped out of the drop and jumped on the Vibro mk2 instead.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I agree someone said they state Orchestra music sounds better after like 100 hours, but with a fairly warm IEM like this you're just acclimating your brain to its sound signature. Don't seen made for Orchestral music at all.

Yeah saw cats in the head-fi thread saying that at least 100 hours of orchestra is the only way to burn them in properly.

Would love to see them pass a double blind A/B test.

mr stroke

Well, after 8 months of use, I'm thinking about selling my ATH-M50X.
The sound is great, but they're really uncomfortable. :(
I wear glasses and they really press hard (which is noticeable after a longer gaming session).
I got them last September for 100 pounds (via amazon.co.uk; they're 125 now) so I think I could get a good price for them (they never left the gaming room, are in pristine condition).

Since my primary use is gaming, I was thinking on getting Sennheiser 598.
Heard great things about them, especially for gaming.
They'll be in use for PC gaming only, hooked up to an oldie but goldie Pioneer VSX-D814 amp (connected via TOSLINK to my PC).
I need the comfort and sound quality.
Thoughts?

add these pads to make them comfortable
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks. Interesting idea. Will look into this.
As long as they don't hurt the sonic output, I think I'll go with this option (much easier than the hassle of selling my M50x and buying 598).
OK, so I read most of Amazon's reviews (and some YT videos). All positive with regards to comfort.
However some people mention the loss of M50X's signature sound.
I don't care about punchy bass and use these only for gaming, soooo I should be cool with these Brainwavz pads? Need expert confirmation. :D

The more time I put on these M220, the less I can believe how inexpensive they are. These are a proper, PROPER mid-fi headphone. Every bit as good as stuff like the DT770 Pros and K612s I own, as well as all the stuff in the $150-$300 price range. But they run $55 for the K240 version. It's absurd.

They're just so well put together. They do virtually everything well, so they're extremely versatile. I can be relaxing to some classical one moment, and hitting it hard with NIN the next.

The only thing that would keep me from recommending them for EVERYONE is that they really need some amping.

Tommy DJ

Which are pretty much why I asked if they sounded similar as everything would suggest same drivers/chassis.

Massdrop does seem to do a good job with tuning so that could be the ticket. The Fostex TH-X00 has a smoother sound signature and more even treble than the TH-600/TH-900 so the folks at Massdrop definitely know what they're doing. Cheaper too.

Though the K240 Studio are unremarkable. More expensive than the pretty honestly pretty similar (but harsher sounding) Superlux clone but worse than Sennheiser's entry level HD558 and HD598. More than likely worse than the $100 Hifiman HE-350 too if you shove some toilet paper infront of the driver or have some degree of occupational noise-induced hearing loss.

LQX

OK, so I read most of Amazon's reviews (and some YT videos). All positive with regards to comfort.
I don't care about punchy bass and use these only for gaming, soooo I should be cool with these Brainwavz pads? Need expert confirmation. :D
You would also be losing the ATH-M50x sound signature either way as the 598 sounds very different so you might as well give the Brainwavz pads a try if comfort was the biggest issue.

I bought these for my brothers M50X a few weeks back when they were $20 on Massdrop...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6G1938/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Comfort drastically changed but I did not think the sound was that depreciated so they might be better at retaining much of the M50X but I honesty could not tell you as I have not tried the M50X with the Brainwavz.

gngf123

Another modding related question:

I have a pair of headphones which lack any kind of damping material in the enclosure. I've seen other people report that adding material helps improve the frequency response a lot but I really have no idea what to use. "Acoustic dampening foam" doesn't really help when 99% of the time that stuff is built for studios.

I've seen people use all sorts of things from cotton wool to fibreloft to toilet paper and reporting all sorts. Do I really just buy loads of materials and see what they do or is there a better way to guess going in what the changes might be?

yonder

So I dropped my Fidelio X1s on the floor and one of the two little plastic screws connecting the right earphone broke :(

x35EUV2.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pic. Does anyone have any tips on how to repair it? I suck at DIY stuff, but this doesn't seem severe enough to send it in.

mr stroke

I use the red velour ones and they are super comfortable(also don't notice any changes in sound)

Tommy DJ

Another modding related question:

I have a pair of headphones which lack any kind of damping material in the enclosure. I've seen other people report that adding material helps improve the frequency response a lot but I really have no idea what to use. "Acoustic dampening foam" doesn't really help when 99% of the time that stuff is built for studios.

I've seen people use all sorts of things from cotton wool to fibreloft to toilet paper and reporting all sorts. Do I really just buy loads of materials and see what they do or is there a better way to guess going in what the changes might be?

This is the sort of stuff you use:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acoustic-damping/dampers-acousta-stuf/lb/

Anything you would load into speakers will work for headphones as well. Other materials designed for speaker enclosures, such as Dynamat, work just as well for headphones in specific cases.

When you're modding, you need to know exactly what you want to fix or you're going to spend hours messing around. The best way is to build yourself your own measuring rig. SBAF has a guide here how to build one for dirt cheap:
http://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...-build-a-cheap-and-easy-measurement-rig.1475/

This measurement system won't be accurate but that doesn't matter. What it does is let you compare results that you make with the measurement system, which lets you keep track of modding progress and better understand what your preferences are.

Generally speaking, the most simple mods of toilet paper and acoustic wool in cups are easy to predict. Toilet paper in front of the driver will attenuate the upper mid-range upwards, like a low shelf filter, at the risk of decreasing perceived air and clarity. Acoustic wool, if the headphone doesn't have much in terms of dampening, will push down sub-200hz content and decrease bass distortion at the possible risk of reducing dynamics if you overdampen.

Of course, your mileage may vary with mods which are why measurements and listening are essential here as they both serve as sanity checks for each other.

Exentryk

Got V-Moda Crossfade Wireless Headsets a month ago. Not really an audiophile, but these headsets are amazing. Long battery life, sound great while wireless or wired, and fairly light and comfortable. They remember the bluetooth pairing to my various devices (PC, iPhone, Macbook) and connecting is hassle free.

Really happy with the purchase. And V-Moda's immortal life program is just icing on the cake.

K.Jack

It's really starting to hit me, how crazy of a deal the RE-00 is at $35. The original RE-0 was a 'giant killer' at its launch price of $199, at $35 it's just nuts. Plus this version is tuned to have more impactful bass. So we're likely getting the best version to have existed.

Jump in guys. This is GOAT material.

Also join me in prayer that they do a refined HE-400 drop. The internet is going nuts at the possibility.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haven't heard the he400s, but I'd be really interested if they do something with the he560. Liked what I've heard of it.

It's really starting to hit me, how crazy of a deal the RE-00 is at $35. The original RE-0 was a 'giant killer' at its launch price of $199, at $35 it's just nuts. Plus this version is tuned to have more impactful bass. So we're likely getting the best version to have existed.

Jump in guys. This is GOAT material.

Also join me in prayer that they do a refined HE-400 drop. The internet is going nuts at the possibility.

How much did the original re0 go for after its initial launch price usually?

K.Jack

How much did the original re0 go for after its initial launch price usually?

Launch was $199, but I think they actually sold for $159 not long after, then the price settled down to $79, once Hifiman started releasing the RE-252,, 262, and 272.

The RE-ZERO was later released at $99.

Antiwhippy

That's how they get their prices down though for their original products. Get the exact inventory needed and scale the production accordingly.

This is a question that's been asked a few times, sort of, or a composite of two questions at any rate.

Lost my earpods. Everybody celebrate. I live in Canada, have honestly a limited but eclectic appreciation of music, and a ~$50 budget. I've checked out LendMeUREars and mp4nation and they seem to be lacking most of the budget earbud and IEM options being recommended in this thread. Should I just accept my fate and buy another pair of earpods (they were better than the old apple earbuds, at least) or is there some alternative here I'm not seeing.

I'm not attached to the in line mic and volume controls thing, and while I've never had positive experiences with IEM's, I've really never had experiences with them at all, so I'm willing to be open minded about it. Ideally this'll be something i can wear at the gym or on a run or bike ride. If they sound as good as what I had or better, I'll be happy.

Antiwhippy

Lendmeurears has plenty of great budget iems. The budget Dunu and vsonic stuff are pretty well regarded for budget iems.

You can also look to the shozy zero at penonaudio.

LQX

This is a question that's been asked a few times, sort of, or a composite of two questions at any rate.

Lost my earpods. Everybody celebrate. I live in Canada, have honestly a limited but eclectic appreciation of music, and a ~$50 budget. I've checked out LendMeUREars and mp4nation and they seem to be lacking most of the budget earbud and IEM options being recommended in this thread. Should I just accept my fate and buy another pair of earpods (they were better than the old apple earbuds, at least) or is there some alternative here I'm not seeing.

I'm not attached to the in line mic and volume controls thing, and while I've never had positive experiences with IEM's, I've really never had experiences with them at all, so I'm willing to be open minded about it. Ideally this'll be something i can wear at the gym or on a run or bike ride. If they sound as good as what I had or better, I'll be happy.

Massdrop currently has few on sale and they ship to Canada.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-re-00?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/meelectronics-mee-iem-exclusive-grab-bag?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/first-harmonic-ieb6?mode=guest_open

Also maybe try Amazon? I think even Amazon US ships to Canada.

Kudo

RE-00 looks damn interesting, and at that price point.
But I just can't justify buying them when I really have next to no need for in-ears, if I just could find an excuse..

K.Jack

Thank you guys so much, I ordered the RE-00's from Massdrop. I look forward to seeing how they work out.

You won't be disappointed. These are end game IEMs for a lot of people.

HiFi-Man 400i pads falling apart. I've never actually purchased new pads - any recommendations?

GG4BQy3.jpg

Focus Pads (non-A) seem to be the popular choice.

I've heard good things about pairing them with Audeze Vegan pads as well.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Reading through this thread made me dig out my old AKG K550 headphones. They haven't been used much as I just find them too darn uncomfortable - the headband pushes right onto the top of my head, leading to considerable pain after prolonged use. Think this is due to me having quite a small head, as they are quite big headphones. I've tried a few mods to try and make them more comfortable but no luck. It's a shame as they sound amazing! I'm not sure I can deal with the discomfort they give me though.

Are any of you able to suggest a similar sounding, closed back headphone which is more comfortable? Would probably also need to be quite small, or have a lot of padding on the headband to be comfortable on my smaller head. Like I said I love the way these things sound. They seem pretty well balanced and the soundstage seems pretty wide (to my untrained ears anyway). Probably wouldn't want to spend anymore than £140, approx $200.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-MX50s. They seem to get great reviews but after a bit of reading, it looks like they seem a bit more bass heavy and the soundstage doesn't seem to be as wide as my AKGs. Can anyone recommend these?

If any of you could give me any help, I'd really appreciate it!

Kudo

Reading through this thread made me dig out my old AKG K550 headphones. They haven't been used much as I just find them too darn uncomfortable - the headband pushes right onto the top of my head, leading to considerable pain after prolonged use. Think this is due to me having quite a small head, as they are quite big headphones. I've tried a few mods to try and make them more comfortable but no luck. It's a shame as they sound amazing! I'm not sure I can deal with the discomfort they give me though.

Are any of you able to suggest a similar sounding, closed back headphone which is more comfortable? Would probably also need to be quite small, or have a lot of padding on the headband to be comfortable on my smaller head. Like I said I love the way these things sound. They seem pretty well balanced and the soundstage seems pretty wide (to my untrained ears anyway). Probably wouldn't want to spend anymore than £140, approx $200.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-MX50s. They seem to get great reviews but after a bit of reading, it looks like they seem a bit more bass heavy and the soundstage doesn't seem to be as wide as my AKGs. Can anyone recommend these?

I like my ATH-M50x, they're definitely most bass heavy headphones I own and I enjoy listening to them, electronic music sounds so good.
Soundstage isn't the best but I feel like they got really good kick for that price point.
I don't really have comfort problems with any headphones (other than all of them pushing out my glasses, if anyone has solutions, help) so I can wear M50x for long periods too, I think the biggest problem would be the pleather pads that can make your ears sweat more easy.
Currently I own M50x, DT770/600 and HD555 and I'd probably rate them in that order for fun music listening.

HiResDes

Blue Lola, Soundmagic HP150, Nad Viso HP50, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, over the ear headphone, that's easy to store in a briefcase, over the shoulder bag, or backpack? I would prefer they be wireless as well. I'm not a big audiophile so I'm just looking for something to stream Pandora, stream twitch, or hook up to my PC and find goblins in Diablo III.

I plan on bringing them along wherever I go so lite, durable, and small form factor are a must...or at least small when they fold up.

thanks GAF!

Do you guys have any guides or instructions on how to take care of your headphones properly? Because months ago I bought Sol Republics and the cables broke so I moved on tobearbuds and the cables also broke... Is it just me? Well now after getting a new phone the store gave me instore credit so I spent it on $60 earbuds and would want to take a good care of them.

Top Bottom