• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Do you guys have any guides or instructions on how to take care of your headphones properly? Because months ago I bought Sol Republics and the cables broke so I moved on tobearbuds and the cables also broke... Is it just me? Well now after getting a new phone the store gave me instore credit so I spent it on $60 earbuds and would want to take a good care of them.

My instructions would be to buy a set with replaceable cables. Lots of great headphones/IEM's come with detachable cables now. Won't be hard to find one that's a fit for you.

Like you, I got fed up with cables crapping out no matter how much I'd baby them. Bought some TF10's and never looked back. The stock cables on the TF10 died on me and I replaced them with $30 aftermarkets and they've been going strong for a few years now.

gngf123

On the subject of removable cables. What would the best option be for a 3.5mm stereo to 2x mono 2.5mm cable?

I could get a splitter, or try my hand at some DIY cables. Doesn't seem like anyone makes them.

Absolutely also recommend removable cables though. Ideally, not some proprietary shit that nobody makes any more. A standard 3.5mm jack is perfect. Cables break far too often. If you are stuck with cables, just try not to put any strain on it. Don't tie knots in the cable or leave them hanging or anything like that. Eventually the cable might still crap out, though.

Headphones themselves, I just carefully clean them now and then. A simple soft cloth and toothbrush does the trick.

Aske

I love you guys. Sincerely. Needed a new pair of IEMs, read thread, signed up to Massdrop and jumped on the RE-00s. Done.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anyone else interested in the recent slew of completely wireless IEMs like the Earin or the bragi?

Currently backing the truu iem on kickstarter. Not expecting the world out of it but mostly jumped on because the price is at a level where I'm willing to give it a shot, and it doesn't look stupid bulky like the Earin. Currently using the Noble BTS for my wireless needs which isn't amazing but it's fine.

mr stroke

Looks like we have a new competitor to the Astro mix amp

Turtle Beach TAC

FjWGBww.jpg

oGMvrJL.png

Xander51

That Turtle Beach thing looks a little clunky, but I see it has DTS Headphone X so I'm definitely interested. That's my favorite surround algorithm by far. Only one that ever sounded great to me.

Aske

Hope you don't need them until August...

Thankfully there's no rush. I have some lower quality spares that will do until then. I lucked out last time l needed a decent pair when I grabbed some CX300s for about $30, and against all odds, they've lasted me for years. Just started to pop when the jack is moved, so I wanted to get on and have replacements lined up. Was expecting to pay $80 for something comparable, but it sounds like I'll be getting a fairly serious upgrade for half that.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anyone else interested in the recent slew of completely wireless IEMs like the Earin or the bragi?

Currently backing the truu iem on kickstarter. Not expecting the world out of it but mostly jumped on because the price is at a level where I'm willing to give it a shot, and it doesn't look stupid bulky like the Earin. Currently using the Noble BTS for my wireless needs which isn't amazing but it's fine.

I've got the Dash.

my6765490

God damn, finally my mahogany TH-X00s (from freaking February) are shipping from Massdrop, that three month wait was agonizing, and that's with a chance to listen to these in AXPONA..

NotSelf

^ That's cool i'm still waiting for my email. Ya it's been a long wait there was no way I was going to switch over to the purple heart.

damn I really want to buy these...must resist must resist

Curious, How good is that deal at $700?

They have them on sale at times throughout the year for $750. (Which is why I'm always perplexed by the high used prices)

$700 is the cheapest I've ever seen them outside of bundles.

So I've been debating getting a "nicer" pair of headphones looking specifically at Philips Fidelio X2. Then I realize I'm really unorganized with the headset I've obtained. Someone mentioned earlier to me that the ones I have picked up, are a bit redundant. So I'm back to ask for help in organizing what I have, and to help me fill in the blanks of what I "need".

So I currently have...

ATH-M50 - I keep wanting to get the M50x for the swappable chords as I tend to not use these ones just because of the overly long chord length.

Sennheiser HD 598 SE - use these the most. It's probably because they're always out since I have yet to find a case they can properly fit into.

Sennheiser G4ME ZERO - bought these for the close back and mic. I know. I could have just attached a seperate mic to a good pair of headphones. It just seemed like a convenient headset to get if I want to do some online gaming with people.

Extras...

Sony ECM-CS3 Microphone - I know the ModMic seems to be the one most often recommended. But I wasn't wanting to permanently attach anything to my headsets even if it's only 2-way tape.

FiiO Mont Blanc - Only amp I have. Wireless and small form factor was key in deciding on this one.

So onto recommendations. And keeping in mind I'm totally open to selling anything that would no longer be needed/required based on recommendations. I want to cover all these bases...

Gaming - Open and Closed
Movies/TV - Open and Closed
Music - Open and Closed

Anyone care to offer recommendations and sort me out?

Damn it. The stupid 3.5mm cable connector on my Superlux HD-681 EVO is dying on me and I have no idea how to fix it. I only get full sound when it's bent at a certain angle now.

wIO2xdK.jpg

So it looks like I'm in the market for a new pair. It's a damn shame because I really like the sound that comes out of these things and it was super comfortable. What would you guys recommend for south of $100 CDN with a fully detachable cable? Something like this:

xBTFsMa.jpg

Used mainly for gaming and music. Prefer semi-open and good bass.

Karish

Damn it. The stupid 3.5mm cable connector on my Superlux HD-681 EVO is dying on me and I have no idea how to fix it. I only get full sound when it's bent at a certain angle now.

wIO2xdK.jpg

So it looks like I'm in the market for a new pair. It's a damn shame because I really like the sound that comes out of these things and it was super comfortable. What would you guys recommend for south of $100 CDN with a fully detachable cable? Something like this:

xBTFsMa.jpg

Used mainly for gaming and music. Prefer semi-open and good bass.

SH9500 on sale for $60 now. Open but amazing. Get.

LQX

The Philips SHP9500 might also be a bit redundant being that you already have the Sennheiser HD 598 but they might provide a cheap preview of the Fidelio X2. I for sure wanted to hear them after being very impressed with the SHP9500.

Also, how does the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO compare to the 598? They use the same drivers so they should sound very similar no?

Where is it on sale?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP...a7d444a&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=172186101445

Xander51

The Philips SHP9500 might also be a bit redundant being that you already have the Sennheiser HD 598 but they might provide a cheap preview of the Fidelio X2. I for sure wanted to hear them after being very impressed with the SHP9500.

Also, how does the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO compare to the 598? They use the same drivers so they should sound very similar no?

The G4ME ZERO is actually a modified Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, with better pads and a boom mic. The G4ME ONE is based on the 598's.

I hated having to type two fours instead of letter "a's" just now.

Gaming - Open and Closed
Music - Open and Closed

SHP9500 all the way. Amazing for the things you listed and also has a removable 3.5mm cable.

The Philips provides better bass (quantity and quality), but has a slightly smaller soundstage than the 598s. The clarity is also above and beyond the 598s.

Matching them up with the Vmoda BoomPro is a godsend

Total for headphones and mic should be about $90

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
SHP9500 to an HD598 owner seems like it isn't actually plugging a hole in his lineup

He needs a closed set with good bass imo.

LQX

The G4ME ZERO is actually a modified Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, with better pads and a boom mic. The G4ME ONE is based on the 598's.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP...a7d444a&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=172186101445

Well the G4ME Zeros are closed back and collapsible/foldable. But I sheepishly have to admit, I haven't spent much time with them to be able to compare to the 598s. They DO come with a great case which is likely why my lazy ass doesn't tend to get them out very often. *laughing*

I did not know this. I just assumed they were the 598s. It's seems hard to get proper info on specs. Checking various sites. I don't think they're completely the same as the specs seem to show some differences between all 4 headsets (ONE, ZERO, 598s, and 380)...

http://headphones.specout.com/compa...s-Sennheiser-G4ME-ONE-vs-Sennheiser-G4ME-ZERO

The G4ME Ones are Open though like the 598s.

SHP9500 all the way. Amazing for the things you listed and also has a removable 3.5mm cable.

The Philips provides better bass (quantity and quality), but has a slightly smaller soundstage than the 598s. The clarity is also above and beyond the 598s.

Matching them up with the Vmoda BoomPro is a godsend

Total for headphones and mic should be about $90

Really? That good at that price. Honestly I haven't seen them brought up (hyped) much. Rather surprised.

SHP9500 to an HD598 owner seems like it isn't actually plugging a hole in his lineup

He needs a closed set with good bass imo.

DeathByBacklog stated they were open to selling their current gear :D

Yeah if it's a lateral movement, there's no point. I'll likely take a lost selling any existing headphones. If I'm not gaining anything by doing so...

@K.Jack Wouldn't M50's be considered good close headphones with good bass?

Tommy DJ

So I've been debating getting a "nicer" pair of headphones looking specifically at Philips Fidelio X2. Then I realize I'm really unorganized with the headset I've obtained. Someone mentioned earlier to me that the ones I have picked up, are a bit redundant. So I'm back to ask for help in organizing what I have, and to help me fill in the blanks of what I "need".

Gaming - Open and Closed
Music - Open and Closed

Slow down and don't enter the Mid-Fi purgatory where you buy piles of sub-$300 headphones. The ATH-M50 and HD598 aren't my favorite headphones but they're solid products to own. If you want to upgrade, you need to figure out exactly what you want that your current headphones aren't doing for you.

I recently listened to the Philips X2 again and they basically sound like a gateway headphone rather than anything legitimately good. I'm actually glad Tyll back peddled and took them off Inner Fidelity's wall so people would stop recommending them like they were the second coming of the ATH-M50.

Some impressions from a meet I went too over the weekend. Listened to a bunch of different setups, but these were the ones that stood out the most. Due to the public nature of the meet and short time with them, these are short impressions that should be taken lightly.

Fostex TH-x00: Smaller than they look in just about every picture. Bass extended deep for a dynamic. Couldn't make up my mind if it was too much bass or not.

LCD-X: I was slightly disappointed in these. Sounded rather thin too me. Not a power issue either, as they were running them balanced out of a LC. Idk.

Ether: These were very nice. I was surprised the bass was very good and present. Didn't find them bright either. Definitely a candidate for an upgrade.

HD800: Anemic bass? Not by a longshot. No mods done on these either. The only headphone I couldn't test with metal as it was running from a Lyr and turntable. Closest I got was Fall Out Boy.

Stax 007 mk1: Hnnnnggg. These were amazing. That is all.

I came away with an eye on the hd800 and Ether as possible future upgrades. The 007 was the best of the bunch, but very far out of my price range. I imagine the Ether would probably be the best bet for metal, but the hd800 sounded very good.

DagsJT

Slow down and don't enter the Mid-Fi purgatory where you buy piles of sub-$300 headphones. The ATH-M50 and HD598 aren't my favorite headphones but they're solid products to own. If you want to upgrade, you need to figure out exactly what you want that your current headphones aren't doing for you.

I recently listened to the Philips X2 again and they basically sound like a gateway headphone rather than anything legitimately good. I'm actually glad Tyll back peddled and took them off Inner Fidelity's wall so people would stop recommending them like they were the second coming of the ATH-M50.

What would you recommend is better than the X2 for the same price point?

I've got X2's but finding the pads aren't too comfortable and maybe soundstage a little lacking? Bass is nice though.

I currently have a Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 so driving headphones shouldn't be an issue.

Kudo

Fostex TH-X00 finally shipped!
Man what a journey, hopefully I'll receive them next week. Good luck with the wait to people who switched to Purplehearts.

Really? That good at that price. Honestly I haven't seen them brought up (hyped) much. Rather surprised.

Maybe not here as most are into higher end cans, but doing a quick search will bring up positive impressions.

Yeah if it's a lateral movement, there's no point. I'll likely take a lost selling any existing headphones. If I'm not gaining anything by doing so...

@K.Jack Wouldn't M50's be considered good close headphones with good bass?

I honestly believe they are not a lateral movement but an upgrade. I had a brief obsession with the 598s until I gave the Philips a shot, and I'm glad I did. I don't see myself replacing them any time soon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2eiPoJe.jpg

Tommy DJ

What would you recommend is better than the X2 for the same price point?

I've got X2's but finding the pads aren't too comfortable and maybe soundstage a little lacking? Bass is nice though.

I currently have a Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 so driving headphones shouldn't be an issue.

In no real order on the top of my head:
  1. SR Lambda (real cheap second hand)
  2. Sennheiser HD600 for probably the best midrange and treble presentation in the business
  3. Sony MDR-MA900 for something extremely comfortable and well integrated soundstage
  4. Hifiman HE-400S w/ Focus pads to improve sub-bass and bass linearity
  5. Fostex TH-X00 for something with a fairly well done W shaped sound signature
It really depends what you actually want.

Antiwhippy

Huh.

Campfire nova exclusive launch on massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/campfire-audio-nova

Alo audio might be generally be full of shit but what I've heard of their campfire audio stuff is pretty great. Apparently the nova is a refinement of the orion which is very well received.

I kinda have no interests mid-tier IEMs anymore and am more or less saving for a Fitear MH334, but if I wasn't doing that these seem like an interesting option.

Yeah sucks for the people who preordered them. Like seriously. It's way less than what they paid. I have an Andromeda on preorder but if they pull this with that model I'd be pretty incensed.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, could people have preordered them though? Thought it says the launch of exclusive to Massdrop, but it could just be for a period?

Also what's your take on the Andromeda?

Went through some video reviews on my existing M50's and came out thinking that instead of upgrading them to the M50X's, I should be getting out of these altogether. They were the first "nice" headphones I bought will very little knowledge on what they were best suited for. But it sounds like their more geared more towards analyzing the source more then enjoying it. Z Reviews beat up the M50's and M50X's...BAD! So in doing that, it looks like I'd need a nice set of closed headphones to add to the collection.

You thought that little of the X2's huh? So many people seem to like them. InnerFidelity pulled them off the wall with the release of the HiFiMAN HE400S (but reading up on those it seems they require a bit of customization at least with replacing the earcups.)

Maybe not here as most are into higher end cans, but doing a quick search will bring up positive impressions.

I honestly believe they are not a lateral movement but an upgrade. I had a brief obsession with the 598s until I gave the Philips a shot, and I'm glad I did. I don't see myself replacing them any time soon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2eiPoJe.jpg

Yeah I did some poking around last night on those. Pleasantly surprised that so many people were pleasantly surprised. They're on the radar for sure.

In no real order on the top of my head:
  1. SR Lambda (real cheap second hand)
  2. Sennheiser HD600 for probably the best midrange and treble presentation in the business
  3. Sony MDR-MA900 for something extremely comfortable and well integrated soundstage
  4. Hifiman HE-400S w/ Focus pads to improve sub-bass and bass linearity
  5. Fostex TH-X00 for something with a fairly well done W shaped sound signature
It really depends what you actually want.

Thanks for this list.

Hmm, could people have preordered them though? Thought it says the launch of exclusive to Massdrop, but it could just be got a period?

Also what's your take on the Andromeda?

ALO opened up preorders for both Nova and Andromeda about 2 or 3 weeks ago with a price cut as an incentive.

Not sure TBH. I'm only in it cause the Jupiter was generally well received and because WCDchee seems to think that it addresses the Jupiters' low end and relaxed upper mids. That and Ken granted me a return on em if I don't like em.

That aside, I do have the Shozy Zero in. I think it's a nice take on a consumer friendly tuning. Fans of Aurisonics, Noble or perhaps Audeze will likely really dig em. I personally think they sound very similar to what I can recall of the K10 but for like... 30X less money LOL. I'll hopefully have more to say in the coming days, but suffice it to say, if you enjoy a sweet, thick midrange, huge soundstage, and pounding bass, these'll do it for you.

What I'm really excited about tho, is this modded Fostex IEM that James has sent to me and SGS. It costs $30, and is seriously one of the most technically capable IEMs I've heard to date. James has approached CeeTee of Massdrop about possibly having this mass produced for the er... masses. It's basically akin to a dynamic driver version of the UERM with even tighter bass (less mid bass, very quick sub bass) to my ears and will likely eat the RE00 or whatever for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's stunningly clear, has Stax like air and sounds awesome straight from a smartphone.

An amusing little anecdote that James shared with me was that he met up with a friend who owned an Oriolus and HD800/HDVD800 combo. James let this friend listen to his modded Fostex phone and this friend was completely floored and asked James to mod a set for him. A few days later, the Oriolus went up for sale. Well, this friend also went on to put his HD800/DVD800 combo up for grabs LOL.

Doombear

That aside, I do have the Shozy Zero in. I think it's a nice take on a consumer friendly tuning. Fans of Aurisonics, Noble or perhaps Audeze will likely really dig em. I personally think they sound very similar to what I can recall of the K10 but for like... 30X less money LOL. I'll hopefully have more to say in the coming days, but suffice it to say, if you enjoy a sweet, thick midrange, huge soundstage, and pounding bass, these'll do it for you.

Awesome, I'm excited. Mine should be here in the next few days.

Antiwhippy

ALO opened up preorders for both Nova and Andromeda about 2 or 3 weeks ago with a price cut as an incentive.

Not sure TBH. I'm only in it cause the Jupiter was generally well received and because WCDchee seems to think that it addresses the Jupiters' low end and relaxed upper mids. That and Ken granted me a return on em if I don't like em.

What I'm really excited about tho, is this modded Fostex IEM that James has sent to me and SGS. It costs $30, and is seriously one of the most technically capable IEMs I've heard to date. James has approached CeeTee of Massdrop about possibly having this mass produced for the er... masses. It's basically akin to a dynamic driver version of the UERM with even tighter bass (less mid bass, very quick sub bass) to my ears and will likely eat the RE00 or whatever for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's stunningly clear, has Stax like air and sounds awesome straight from a smartphone.

An amusing little anecdote that James shared with me was that he met up with a friend who owned an Oriolus and HD800/HDVD800 combo. James let this friend listen to his modded Fostex phone and this friend was completely floored and asked James to mod a set for him. A few days later, the Oriolus went up for sale. Well, this friend also went on to put his HD800/DVD800 combo up for grabs LOL.

Mmmmm, you're making me waver on my RE-00 order, which I'm not too married to anyway.

Waikis

So, I'm now in need of an IEM and looking for one.
Budget is about AUD$600ish and can be second hand units too. What are the options? I have no idea about IEMs at all.

Also, I prefer one that sounds like a th x00 if possible (well tuned bass heavy)

Top Bottom