• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

DagsJT

My Shozy Zero's arrived and I'm really pleased with them. The wood looks classy, the grey and red tips look great too, and it sounds crystal clear. Very pleased.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, I'm now in need of an IEM and looking for one.
Budget is about AUD$600ish and can be second hand units too. What are the options? I have no idea about IEMs at all.

Also, I prefer one that sounds like a th x00 if possible (well tuned bass heavy)

Aurisonic harmony.

Antiwhippy

My 2.5 was already sacrificed to fund my harmony, sorry. :p Every so often I'm tempted to go hunting for used 2.5s though.

Depends on what you want. Do you want a lush and slightly dark sound (aka minor mid-bass bleed to make the mids more euphonic, highs have extension and detail but it isn't exactly forward), with high quality bass that extends for days and can be tweaked to absolutely insane levels? 2.5.

Something less dark, more clarity (aka reduced midbass, raised highs though you really can't consider it bright) still with high quality bass that extends for days, pounds when the song calls for it but doesn't quite reach the insanity of the 2.5? Harmony.

One thing across the 2 though that raises them above just mere basshead cannons to me is that I just love their midrange. The 2.5 is more lush but I just love the vocal presentation of both of them. They're both warmer than neutral but that is what I love about it. Only other headphones/earphones that I've heard that bests them in midrange are the HD600s and fitear MH334, but it's not a big difference, and I still slightly prefer female vocals on the harmony over the hd600 due to some occasional graininess from the HD600.

Imaging and soundstage is also pretty damn fantastic for IEMs, but they're still IEMs, so you'd have to limit your expectations. I kinda think that they're on par with the HD600 in that respect, except that the HD600 presents a stronger center image, though the harmony is still pretty good at that.

Still, you're based in melbourne right? Might as well drop down to A2A for a demo.

As far as cheaper options go, the kicker is still pretty good if you're looking for basshead, but it's a warmer dark sort of sound. I know head-fi's resident basshead loves the sony ex1000 and ex800st with a little tape, but I can't really consider them seeing that I need to actually use IEMs outdoors and with isolation. The sony xb90ex is a head-fi basshead budget favourite, but I haven't heard it.

Good lord, the pleather Beyerdynamic pads turn the Koss Pro DJ 100s into bass monsters. They don't just bring the bass out a little, they crank it up to 11. Not really sure what I think about that. Mids get recessed a bit, which sorta kills what made the headphone special... But then it gets special in other ways. Soundstage gets large, isolation gets good, comfort gets good.

The only problem is they don't fit snugly. The pads sorta slide around, so they risk coming off. Sorta tempted to get some velcro or something to stick them on.

Tommy DJ

Went through some video reviews on my existing M50's and came out thinking that instead of upgrading them to the M50X's, I should be getting out of these altogether. They were the first "nice" headphones I bought will very little knowledge on what they were best suited for. But it sounds like their more geared more towards analyzing the source more then enjoying it. Z Reviews beat up the M50's and M50X's...BAD! So in doing that, it looks like I'd need a nice set of closed headphones to add to the collection.

You thought that little of the X2's huh? So many people seem to like them. InnerFidelity pulled them off the wall with the release of the HiFiMAN HE400S (but reading up on those it seems they require a bit of customization at least with replacing the earcups.)

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 were pretty W (boosted high treble, low bass, midrange) or V (boosted bass & treble in relation to midrange) shaped. Apparently the original version was more W shaped and they've been quietly revised at least once into more of a V shaped sound signature. Dunno what the deal is with them regardless of what has happened to them, they're not really analytical or particularly well suited for monitoring. Neither really seem that analytical to me and neither were all that interesting to me but I think its important to note that they're not bad headphones. The M50x especially which has pretty good build quality, ergonomics, and technical capability (eg. responds well to EQ).

I don't trust Z Reviews due to how he structures his reviews and suggestions to get the most out of his Amazon affiliate links. That's ignoring how poor his reviews and suggestions often are. His loudspeaker suggestions are beyond terrible.

I don't think the Philips Fidelio X2 is a particularly great headphone: midbass emphasis is too excessive and broad that it impacts midrange clarity, treble isn't even, and midrange is unremarkable. At heavily discounted prices, its historically been good value but its a pretty poor proposition at its MSRP of around $250-300 for those reasons. Tyll lists the HE-400S as his reason for removing the X2 from the wall but he admits on another forum that his X2 review wasn't really his brightest moment. I agree, claiming they're outright better than the HD600 was downright confusing to me.

gngf123

Hi guys, quick question again.

I really love the HM5 pads, and would recommend them to anyone. Is there something very similar that can fit 100mm diameter circular headphones? I'm not finding much, and it doesn't seem my HM5 pads will stretch far enough.

I was thinking Denon pads might work. I've seen eBay sellers selling extra thick pads designed for D2000/D5000's in the past, and thought that would probably be the closest I could get. Can't find them now though.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, my ears are finally my own. >.<

Installed Brainwavz HM5 on my M50x.
Night and day in terms of comfort level. <3

Sound not that different. Bass a little less prominent, but I don't mind.

ZUyiho4.jpg

mllpjgf.jpg

Left: HM5, Right: original M50x

OzZpTI1.jpg

I don't think the Philips Fidelio X2 is a particularly great headphone: midbass emphasis is too excessive and broad that it impacts midrange clarity, treble isn't even, and midrange is unremarkable. At heavily discounted prices, its historically been good value but its a pretty poor proposition at its MSRP of around $250-300 for those reasons. Tyll lists the HE-400S as his reason for removing the X2 from the wall but he admits on another forum that his X2 review wasn't really his brightest moment. I agree, claiming they're outright better than the HD600 was downright confusing to me.

This was annoying as well. It really did a number on forums as everyone started squeeling about the damn X2 and how it's a neutral flagship killer, etc.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, my ears are finally my own. >.<

Installed Brainwavz HM5 on my M50x.
Night and day in terms of comfort level. <3

Sound not that different. Bass a little less prominent, but I don't mind.

ZUyiho4.jpg

mllpjgf.jpg

Left: HM5, Right: original M50x

OzZpTI1.jpg

Was considering installing these myself, just bought a pair of M50x's. I don't find the headphones uncomfortable by any stretch, so not sure it's justified.

Other than making the bass a bit less prominent, does it do anything else to the sound? Wider soundstage perhaps?

EDIT: Also, is it easy enough to do?

Wild Card

Hey guys, quick question for you all just got this pair of earphones today from amazon and I'm having some issues with them, on my laptop whenever I try to play something, all the sounds sound quite distant or muted, music is harder to hear and voices and people speaking are almost inaudible. Right now I'm comparing them to a pair of headphones I picked up from a dollar store and those are far clearer. Also these new headset seem to work far better on my ipod.

One more thing to note is that they is a volume control on these earbuds, with a pause/play button in between, and when I hold this button down, the sound quality becomes much, much better.

Any advice or hints at what may be going on?

Xander51

Hey guys, quick question for you all just got this pair of earphones today from amazon and I'm having some issues with them, on my laptop whenever I try to play something, all the sounds sound quite distant or muted, music is harder to hear and voices and people speaking are almost inaudible. Right now I'm comparing them to a pair of headphones I picked up from a dollar store and those are far clearer. Also these new headset seem to work far better on my ipod.

One more thing to note is that they is a volume control on these earbuds, with a pause/play button in between, and when I hold this button down, the sound quality becomes much, much better.

Any advice or hints at what may be going on?

The cable/pin out on those IEM's is designed explicitly for iPhone/Apple devices, and I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a jack capable of supporting that. Essentially, there are many different standards for 4 pole 3.5mm plugs, and Apple's is not fully compatible with any of the others. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, look up OMTP and CTIA. Your PC may have a 3 pole jack, or a 4 pole jack that's expecting a different type of cable. This is a common issue with older jacks and 4 pole connectors.

So that's why it works better on your iPod. You might have better luck using a USB DAC with your laptop, or returning the IEM's and getting something without the apple control buttons.

Wild Card

The cable/pin out on those IEM's is designed explicitly for iPhone/Apple devices, and I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a jack capable of supporting that. Essentially, there are many different standards for 4 pole 3.5mm plugs, and Apple's is not fully compatible with any of the others. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, look up OMTP and CTIA. Your PC may have a 3 pole jack, or a 4 pole jack that's expecting a different type of cable. This is a common issue with older jacks and 4 pole connectors.

So that's why it works better on your iPod. You might have better luck using a USB DAC with your laptop, or returning the IEM's and getting something without the apple control buttons.

Oh damn, well I just got these so I can probably return them, but thanks for your help. Also I mentioned this in my original post but when I hit the middle button on those apple controls the sound clears up considerably, do you know anything about that, or would this be something about related to OMTP and CTIA you mentioned? Like a weird compatibilty issue?

Waikis

My 2.5 was already sacrificed to fund my harmony, sorry. :p Every so often I'm tempted to go hunting for used 2.5s though.

Depends on what you want. Do you want a lush and slightly dark sound (aka minor mid-bass bleed to make the mids more euphonic, highs have extension and detail but it isn't exactly forward), with high quality bass that extends for days and can be tweaked to absolutely insane levels? 2.5.

Something less dark, more clarity (aka reduced midbass, raised highs though you really can't consider it bright) still with high quality bass that extends for days, pounds when the song calls for it but doesn't quite reach the insanity of the 2.5? Harmony.

One thing across the 2 though that raises them above just mere basshead cannons to me is that I just love their midrange. The 2.5 is more lush but I just love the vocal presentation of both of them. They're both warmer than neutral but that is what I love about it. Only other headphones/earphones that I've heard that bests them in midrange are the HD600s and fitear MH334, but it's not a big difference, and I still slightly prefer female vocals on the harmony over the hd600 due to some occasional graininess from the HD600.

Imaging and soundstage is also pretty damn fantastic for IEMs, but they're still IEMs, so you'd have to limit your expectations. I kinda think that they're on par with the HD600 in that respect, except that the HD600 presents a stronger center image, though the harmony is still pretty good at that.

Still, you're based in melbourne right? Might as well drop down to A2A for a demo.

As far as cheaper options go, the kicker is still pretty good if you're looking for basshead, but it's a warmer dark sort of sound. I know head-fi's resident basshead loves the sony ex1000 and ex800st with a little tape, but I can't really consider them seeing that I need to actually use IEMs outdoors and with isolation. The sony xb90ex is a head-fi basshead budget favourite, but I haven't heard it.

Someone is offering me 1964 ears u4. Is that any good? Cant seem to find that many reviews for it.

Antiwhippy

No idea, I've heard that if you want bass for adel models the u8 and u12 are the ones to go for. They're pretty expensive though.

Was considering installing these myself, just bought a pair of M50x's. I don't find the headphones uncomfortable by any stretch, so not sure it's justified.
Main reason I did this was the comfort. I love these headphones but they get really uncomfortable after a while. :(

Other than making the bass a bit less prominent, does it do anything else to the sound? Wider soundstage perhaps?
Well, the bass is the most noticeable difference, IMHO (definitely less prominent). Other than that I haven't heard much change.

EDIT: Also, is it easy enough to do?
To remove the old ones and install new ones? Well, it took a bit of time. They weren't coming on that easily but nothing too problematic.
Overall, I recommend these to anyone who has comfort issues with M50x. :thumbs up:

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Main reason I did this was the comfort. I love these headphones but they get really uncomfortable after a while. :(

Well, the bass is the most noticeable difference, IMHO (definitely less prominent). Other than that I haven't heard much change.

To remove the old ones and install new ones? Well, it took a bit of time. They weren't coming on that easily but nothing too problematic.
Overall, I recommend these to anyone who has comfort issues with M50x. :thumbs up:

Thanks for the info. I think I'll leave it just now, as my set are literally days old and finding them comfortable enough so far. Will see how things are in a few months.

Good lord, the pleather Beyerdynamic pads turn the Koss Pro DJ 100s into bass monsters. They don't just bring the bass out a little, they crank it up to 11. Not really sure what I think about that. Mids get recessed a bit, which sorta kills what made the headphone special... But then it gets special in other ways. Soundstage gets large, isolation gets good, comfort gets good.

The only problem is they don't fit snugly. The pads sorta slide around, so they risk coming off. Sorta tempted to get some velcro or something to stick them on.

Update to this. Got some velcro dots to hold the pads on, plus I added some felt to kill the reverberation. They sound much more consistent now. The felt is a little thick, though, so mids get a fair bit recessed. Still, they're extremely pleasant to listen to, and they'll once again become my beater headphone. The MDR-ZX700s were just too harsh for most of my music...

img_00507ai8k.jpg

Might play around with different materials for the inserts.

EDIT: Now that the pads have settled the mids came right out. It's the damnedest thing. Also, if I put a little bit of pressure on the cups the bass disappears. lol.

Which of these 3 would be the best for pure gaming use? On a PC connected to a Pioneer AV receiver?
All 3 are close price-wise on Amazon.co.uk.

AKG K702

vs.

beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm)

vs.

Sennheiser HD 598

I'm leaning towards Senns 598, but wanted to check other options as well.
Cheers!

I haven't heard the 598s, but between the K702s and the DT770 Pro 80s, purely for games, I'd go with the DT770 Pros. Bass makes a way bigger difference to me with gaming than a lot of the finer points that the K702s do better. The soundstage is plenty big on the DT770 Pros, even if it's still smaller than the K702s, but the comfort is waaaaay better. Probably the most comfortable headphone ever.

HiResDes

Which of these 3 would be the best for pure gaming use? On a PC connected to a Pioneer AV receiver?

AKG K702

vs.

vs.

Sennheiser HD 598

Cheers!
Akg Q701

naeS

SH9500 on sale for $60 now. Open but amazing. Get.

The Philips SHP9500 might also be a bit redundant being that you already have the Sennheiser HD 598 but they might provide a cheap preview of the Fidelio X2. I for sure wanted to hear them after being very impressed with the SHP9500.

Been looking for a good pair, bought these. Thanks for sharing.

Waaaaaaay out of my price range. Almost by double. ;_;

Are you sure your looking at the right headphone? The q701 should be far cheaper than the k702.

Based off the three you mentioned though, I would personally go with the k702. It is a bit bass shy though, in which case I would wait for the k7xx to drop again on massdrop and get those.

Are you sure your looking at the right headphone? The q701 should be far cheaper than the k702.

Based off the three you mentioned though, I would personally go with the k702. It is a bit bass shy though, in which case I would wait for the k7xx to drop again on massdrop and get those.

C0DDN3Y.png

DagsJT

AKG K702

vs.

vs.

Sennheiser HD 598

Cheers!

Fidelio X2?

HiResDes

I don't know why no one talks about the German Maestro 400 but you should be able to find it fairly cheap and certainly is a great all arounder in my estimation.

Xander51

Oh damn, well I just got these so I can probably return them, but thanks for your help. Also I mentioned this in my original post but when I hit the middle button on those apple controls the sound clears up considerably, do you know anything about that, or would this be something about related to OMTP and CTIA you mentioned? Like a weird compatibilty issue?

Basically, yeah, it has to do with how the cable is wired.

Like, if I plug Apple earpods into my PS4 controller, it thinks the play/pause button is the microphone. And pressing the button registers as the microphone making a noise. It's crazy that there are so many competing standards for how to wire 4-pole audio cables, but it's the world we live in. There are adapters out there, but I'm not sure if any of them will convert Apple's proprietary cable format.

Antiwhippy

Th-x00 mahogany drop is live with the first 600 shipping immediately after the drop finishes. Still kinda interested but I'll be passing for now and the next few times it drops probably.

Ok, here's where I'm at.

Really considering replacing my M50's with the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7.

- Need a good all around closed headphone
- Z Reviews speaks highly of them
- Innerfedelity speaks highly of them
- Currently priced the cheapest they've ever been on amazon.ca at CDN$ 262.17

Thoughts?

Ok, here's where I'm at.

- Currently price the cheapest they've ever been on amazon.ca at CDN$ 262.17

Thoughts?

My thoughts is to never base a purchasing decision or influence from a Z review. Other than that, I haven't heard them so can't comment on the sound.

Xander51

Ok, here's where I'm at.

- Currently priced the cheapest they've ever been on amazon.ca at CDN$ 262.17

Thoughts?

Msr-7 has a really nice detailed, airy sound with an emphasis on the upper midrange.

Antiwhippy is spot-on describing the sound. If you're looking for a bright, clean headphone, it's a great choice. I think the M50X has a better build than the MSR-7, and I prefer its locking cable mechanism, but then I mostly use headphones in a portable setting.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm speccing up my next pad, and I'm going to invest in some good headphone kit. I'm thinking on getting a Schiit combo

- Amp - Mjolnir 2
- DAC - Gungnir

Any thoughts on this? And any thoughts on whether to go solid, tubes or both on the Mjolnir? Most of my usage will be music listening - jazz, lounge, acoustic etc.

I'm currently rocking an Foxtex TH-600 (music), Oppo PM-3 (travel) and AKG K712 (gaming), but I might add one higher end headphone to the mix... LCD-3 maybe? In case Orpheus is not in my range :D

I'm speccing up my next pad, and I'm going to invest in some good headphone kit. I'm thinking on getting a Schiit combo

- Amp - Mjolnir 2
- DAC - Gungnir

Any thoughts on this? And any thoughts on whether to go solid, tubes or both on the Mjolnir? Most of my usage will be music listening - jazz, lounge, acoustic etc.

I'm currently rocking an Foxtex TH-600 (music), Oppo PM-3 (travel) and AKG K712 (gaming), but I might add one higher end headphone to the mix... LCD-3 maybe? In case Orpheus is not in my range :D

That is endgame setup there. Personally, I don't think it would be useful with your current headphones. I haven't heard the LCD-3 but supposedly the newer fazored LCD-2 is incredibly close to the LCD-3 for half the price.

As far as tubes or LISST goes. Your spending almost 2 grand on a setup already, just get both and try them out. LISST "tubes" can be added to your order of the Mjolnir 2 for $80.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That is endgame setup there. Personally, I don't think it would be useful with your current headphones. I haven't heard the LCD-3 but supposedly the newer fazored LCD-2 is incredibly close to the LCD-3 for half the price.

As far as tubes or LISST goes. Your spending almost 2 grand on a setup already, just get both and try them out. LISST "tubes" can be added to your order of the Mjolnir 2 for $80.

Thanks, yeah probably neec higher end cans to match. I mean TH-600s are so good (soundstage, clarity, bass) that I have struggled to find a worthwhile upgrade, but LCD-2s do seem to get a lot of mentions.

Point taken on getting both tubes and LISST, hope the tubes are preinstalled, I feel a bit nervous about the idea of removing them.

Thanks, yeah probably neec higher end cans to match. I mean TH-600s are so good (soundstage, clarity, bass) that I have struggled to find a worthwhile upgrade, but LCD-2s do seem to get a lot of mentions.

Point taken on getting both tubes and LISST, hope the tubes are preinstalled, I feel a bit nervous about the idea of removing them.

I don't think they are. Schiit usually sends the tubes wrapped in bubble wrap in their own tiny boxes inside the main box.

So uh... That Andromeda is pretty fuckin impressive man. Haven't had a whole lotta time with it but I'm erring towards thinking these are the real deal. Maybe the most impressive BA based set I've heard to date. There's a sweet tonality to this thing that feels more natural to me than most BA sets even if the level of detailing verges on analytical. Bass also has a more natural feeling decay and sense of body to me. But yeah, if only they sported a rounded finish cause these edges aren't too kind to my ears :l

Antiwhippy

Cool, have you had experience with the jupiter for comparisons? I kinda dig the jupiter but like most pure BAs I felt that the sound was too sharp and thin.

Still leaning on saving up for a MH334 for my >$1000 IEM. It just has my preferred sound sig.

Top Bottom