• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey guys, I updated the OP with the install info for ICS on the Touchpad. Those are the best instructions link I could find, and they worked for me. Plus there are link to the two best bug fixes, both of which I have installed.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Actually, here's a great guide on the Android website that was posted. You have to register but it has links to all the files plus the charging/gapps fixes easily explained.

Also tells how to default boot into webOS (handy for those of us worrying about battery) and how to extend the 'wait time' in the initial boot screen.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad/150902-cm9-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

edit: But I followed the instructions VanMardigan copied into the OP and they worked fine. As long as you can understand to use ACMEInstaller2 and the CM9 file instead of the older files the process is exactly the same.

It's very easy, hardest part was installing the palm files on your PC locally, if you can do that and type a simple command into a command prompt you can do it.

elty

Perfect Viewer, Box(.net?), Splashtop

Thank you.

Edit: Those instructions refer to Root Explorer. Can anyone recommend another file manager app that is free?

Es file explorer works. Just go to setting to enable system directory access. Restart the app, click on favourite and you can access the root. Then do your file renaming/copying.

Peagles

Thanks all :) I'm sitting with ICS in my lap now! But I got impatient and ending up doing it following this guide and replacing with the new files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGY4gpsDPD8

A little bit basic if you're already good with computers, but really thorough if you're worried about messing up your TP, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't installed Android before.

Biscuits

I guess this should probably be in the apps thread, but what's the best looking tablet weather widget that can display in celsius?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Now Google Apps works, but I can't find an App Store link. I can get in through updates on various apps but obviously I'd rather have the actual widget/icon, can anyone help?

edit: I found the Market icon.

Updated to Alpha 0.5 easy no issues from Alpha 0 so far.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha05-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/

Alpha0.5 Release notes:

This is a minor release that bundles fixes that were previously a separate download and a few other things:
Fix kernel crash that happened most frequently with Titanium Backup but also many other apps(fix found by verygreen)
Touchscreen fixes by Dees_Troy(helps with rapid distinct touches being interporated as a single motion)
Fix graphics corruption that was happening in some games

CMStats added
Browser: open link in incognito mode
Change needed for fsck replacement(was in alpha0 but wanted to make it explicit here until it is merged):
Other general changes that were merged since alpha0

Sanic

So I just finished installing CM9 alpha using the instructions in the OP, but when I go to boot CM it will start to load up but then reboot. How can I fix this?

Alpha0.5 Release notes:

This is a minor release that bundles fixes that were previously a separate download and a few other things:
Fix kernel crash that happened most frequently with Titanium Backup but also many other apps(fix found by verygreen)
Touchscreen fixes by Dees_Troy(helps with rapid distinct touches being interporated as a single motion)

CMStats added
Change needed for fsck replacement(was in alpha0 but wanted to make it explicit here until it is merged):

Oh sweet, I hope this fixes the crashing whenever apps requested root access, I think that's what they are talking about here.

Peagles

Alpha0.5 Release notes:

CMStats added

Ooh, is there an easy way I can just pop this on over the top of Alpha0 I just installed? Could I do it with Clockwork?

Peagles

Yup. You can install new CM9 releases over old ones using CWM. Just make sure to wipe cache and Dalvik cache after you do it.

Cool, so I just chuck the new zip into cminstall and install from there?

On a related note, my PC won't recognise my TP as a USB device from ICS, is it supposed to? Or do I boot back to WebOS to add files to it again?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Cool, so I just chuck the new zip into cminstall and install from there?

On a related note, my PC won't recognise my TP as a USB device from ICS, is it supposed to? Or do I boot back to WebOS to add files to it again?

From the guide I linked to above...

For starters - if you want to transfer files back and forth from the CM9 touchpad you might have difficulty figuring out how exactly to do it. Here's how you pull it off:

First, tap on your app drawer in the top right of the screen (the little checkerboard). Now, select the "settings" icon.

Now tap on storage on the left-hand pane.

Finally, the tricky part - tap on the 3 squares at the VERY top right of your screen. It will bring down a little drop-down menu for USB computer connection. Tap it and put a checkmark in the "Media Device MTP" box.

Now you can plug your touchpad into the computer at will and transfer files back and forth from it. Easy as pie, I'm not sure why this isn't activated by default, but it's a simple fix if you know what to do.

SRG01

Guys, the easiest way to update is the following:

1. Download the 0.5 from the Touchpad's browser.
2. Reboot into Cyanogenmod.
3. Choose the menu item that allows you to apply zip files from a specific directory. Navigate to downloads. Apply it.
4. Reboot!

Ashhong

Guys, the easiest way to update is the following:

1. Download the 0.5 from the Touchpad's browser.
2. Reboot into ClockwordMod.
- Wipe Cache Partition
- Wipe Advanced - Dalvik Cache

3. Choose the menu item that allows you to apply zip files from a specific directory. Navigate to downloads. Apply it.
4. Reboot!

Fixed...

DJ_Tet

Banned
No idea, it worked no problem on Win 7 for me. The only thing was I couldn't access my usual webOS files/folders that way, it seemed to only see the Android partition.

Bad news for those of us with speaker issues (or maybe just me) I had some crackling under ICS 0.5 just now. A reset fixed it however.

Ashhong

OK, so I turned my ICS Touchpad into an MTP device. But my Windows XP machine will not recognize it like it does for WebOS. It tried searching for an update but it didn't work. Any ideas?

I don't know how compatible XP is with MTP. I feel like you have to install some drivers for it or something. Just mount the USB storage either in WebOS or ClockworkMod.

Karish

I changed my DPI to 132 but found it a little too small... Any other good levels I should try between 132 and the default?

Ashhong

I changed my DPI to 132 but found it a little too small... Any other good levels I should try between 132 and the default?

What part of it is too small? If you use Nova Launcher you can customize how many icons fit on the screen. 10 columns and 9 rows is good for me. You can also increase the font size in the settings menu.

WTFFFF, wifi was behaving for a couple days and now its being a bitch again.

Try changing the wifi channel on your router. I have read some success stories for people after they did that.

pje122

What part of it is too small? If you use Nova Launcher you can customize how many icons fit on the screen. 10 columns and 9 rows is good for me. You can also increase the font size in the settings menu.

Try changing the wifi channel on your router. I have read some success stories for people after they did that.
I tried your Nova Launcher + 132 DPI combo, but oftentimes the icons become unresponsive and when I try to click or long-click on them it just jumps to the next page. Did you have any issues like this?

pje122

I tried your Nova Launcher + 132 DPI combo, but oftentimes the icons become unresponsive and when I try to click or long-click on them it just jumps to the next page. Did you have any issues like this?
OK, I figured this out (Had to disable scrolling effects) Now I need to figure out why I have no labels underneath my icons. I have it checked in the menu appropriately...
Edit: OK, I figured that out too...

Ashhong

OK, I figured this out (Had to disable scrolling effects) Now I need to figure out why I have no labels underneath my icons. I have it checked in the menu appropriately...
Edit: OK, I figured that out too...

I only have the labels problem. How did you fix that?

Fatalah

I installed ICS over the weekend, and upgraded to Alpha 0.5 last night.

The battery drains much more quickly compared to CM7! I can't wait for these bugs to be ironed out.

clav

I installed ICS over the weekend, and upgraded to Alpha 0.5 last night.

The battery drains much more quickly compared to CM7! I can't wait for these bugs to be ironed out.

I said that, too, but most people seem to think it's the same for some odd reason.

elty

I only have the labels problem. How did you fix that?

For me:
- a 10x10 grid will show no label.
- a 8x8 grid will show label, but in portrait mode the bottom row would be like 1/5 above the bottom of the screen - ugly.

Switched back to the CM9 launcher.

Top Bottom