• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Vinci

Danish
Question: How stable is Android on the Touchpad at this point? I didn't exactly spend a fortune on the thing, but I don't want to screw it up either.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
"

Just remember you get a 15 minute window for refunds."

Yeah, I will keep it on there I mean it was only $5 or something.. but : ( still wont work, still gets the same download error even now on a new network

I'm not understanding where the Palm, Inc folder comes from. I only see a Palm folder with PDK and SDK subfolders in it under my program files. What do I need to install to get that folder?

ok I just found the Novacom.exe and Novacomd folder inside the bin folder of the SDK subfolder. what should I do?

HolyCheck

I'm not understanding where the Palm, Inc folder comes from. I only see a Palm folder with PDK and SDK subfolders in it under my program files. What do I need to install to get that folder?

ok I just found the Novacom.exe and Novacomd folder inside the bin folder of the SDK subfolder. what should I do?

which walk through are you following? one of them is 10000 times easier!

http://www.howtogeek.com/76960/how-to-install-android-on-your-hp-touchpad/ <- even I could follow this one (slowly... seriously check the previous page for how bad at this i am :()

I figured it out, should have this up and running in a few minutes. Impressions to come.

Ok Im all installed but for some reason, even though Im connected to the internet I can't download apps. It begins dl'ing them but never gets past 0%. Theories? Cache issue?

Question: How stable is Android on the Touchpad at this point? I didn't exactly spend a fortune on the thing, but I don't want to screw it up either.

Stable enough. Still buggy, but is quite usable for every day use.

As long as you can boot the touchpad, you can pretty much undo any problem that might pop up.

Downhome

For those of you that got screwed trying to buy a TP on eBay, keep your eye on your email. They just sent me a freakin' $100 gift card to use on anything on eBay. The email reads as follows:

To show our appreciation, here's a $100 eBay Gift Certificate with our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced while ordering a TouchPad from the HP eBay store. Happy holidays from eBay and HP

Woohoo!

Downhome

It actually seems to be a PayPal gift card/credit. When I log into my PayPal account, under the balance it has the $100 listed. So, in theory, it looks like it can be used anywhere that takes PayPal.

And while I never got an order cancellation email, I never got an order through, it looks like I did however get charged by HP, only for it to be reversed within the same minute. How odd. Perhaps that is why those of us who didn't get any order in or any order cancellation email got the $100 anyway.

I didn't even think any sort of order went through. I never received anything, no emails, no order confirmation screen, nothing.

Cruzader

Banned
It actually seems to be a PayPal gift card/credit. When I log into my PayPal account, under the balance it has the $100 listed. So, in theory, it looks like it can be used anywhere that takes PayPal.

And while I never got an order cancellation email, I never got an order through, it looks like I did however get charged by HP, only for it to be reversed within the same minute. How odd. Perhaps that is why those of us who didn't get any order in or any order cancellation email got the $100 anyway.

I didn't even think any sort of order went through. I never received anything, no emails, no order confirmation screen, nothing.

Lucky guy. I couldnt check out at all.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I tried it but I don't have any games worth playing with it.

I was hoping to get Defense Grid for free but I already got Lego Batman for free (they gave away both for trying the app and you could only get one.) I imagine Defense Grid probably plays pretty well with it but I already have it on steam so I'm not wanting to double dip unless it's basically free.

I hope they enable bluetooth controllers with the app and don't force you to use their proprietary controller. They run decent hardware deals though so eventually that controller will be packaged with a good game I bet, that's how I got the console.

Ashhong

Installed the newest Xron and overclocked both WebOS and Xron, and am loving this Touchpad. Works great! A few bugs here and there with force closures but overall its very stable. Best 100$ tablet ever.

I messed up my Android side when trying to install Xron. Wouldn't boot and would restart. It also caused Clockworkmod to crash sometimes. I then proceeded to boot into WebOS to download vanilla Cyanogen, and it reminded me of how I dual boot Windows/Linux on my PCs and how I go into Linux to fix Windows problems. Made me really happy I could dual boot a $100 tablet.

(My problem ended up bing a corrupted System partition. Whenever Clockworkmod tried to mount it, it would crash. I formatted it in Clockworkmod, then Xron installed fine.)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is anyone by any chance using a cyanogenmod touchpad for android app development? and if so do you by any chance know how to get eclipse to recognize it?

tino

Banned
I don't know why people are willing to pay more than an Acer 10" tablet for a HP TouchPad, but I just sold my refub on Amazon market place for 260.

is anyone by any chance using a cyanogenmod touchpad for android app development? and if so do you by any chance know how to get eclipse to recognize it?

I do. You need to install the Cyanogen adb driver, which is a modification of the Google driver. Follow this guide:

Guide on Cyanogen Wiki

If you're using Windows, then, in short:

0. Make sure USB Debigging and developer mode are enabled on your Touchpad.

1. From the SDK Manager, install the Google USB Driver Package (which are USB drivers for Google's Nexua phones).

2. The driver will have automatically been downloaded to your Android SDK folder\extras\google\usb_driver\

3. Replace the android_winusb.inf in that folder with the Cyanogen one here: (link) It's a modification of the Google drivers.

4. Install the driver from that folder. You might have to do it via the Device Manager.

A note: I had USB drivers for another Android device installed previously (my phone) and I had trouble installing the Cyanogen drivers until I uninstalled my phone's drivers.

To test if your Touchpad is recognized, plug it in, open the Command Prompt, type "adb devices" and it should show the Touchpad. If it's there, then when you attempt to run an Android project in Eclipse, it will automatically run it on the Touchpad instead of one of the Android emulators you may have set up.

Hey guys, finally got around to getting CM7 on this thing.

Any reason why there isn't any progress on my Market downloads? It's been like this for like 15 minutes now.

Against my better judgement I attempted to download Android with moboot. Android works but moboot never did (no boot menu shows up when I turn it on so no clowckwork, etc either) I am stuck in Android without the google market. Anyone have a suggestion? :(

I cannot get into the recovery mode to try WebOS doctor either... (I haven't tried too hard though)

Ashhong

Against my better judgement I attempted to download Android with moboot. Android works but moboot never did (no boot menu shows up when I turn it on so no clowckwork, etc either) I am stuck in Android without the google market. Anyone have a suggestion? :(

I cannot get into the recovery mode to try WebOS doctor either... (I haven't tried too hard though)

Hold down the power button on Android...theres no option to reboot into WebOS? You can flash CWM onto your phone using terminal also, presumably.

edit: So this is my battery life on Android. I quite like it. Though that steady decline was when it was idle, and it looks like my wifi never turned off. How do I fix this?

ORVRKl.png

Hold down the power button on Android...theres no option to reboot into WebOS? You can flash CWM onto your phone using terminal also, presumably.

edit: So this is my battery life on Android. I quite like it. Though that steady decline was when it was idle, and it looks like my wifi never turned off. How do I fix this?

ORVRKl.png

pressing it will just reboot to Android

Trying the power off button will just reboot to Android as well.

Knew I should not have tried this :(

edit-Well I got it into recovery mode... I don't know what to do at this point though

Ashhong

pressing it will just reboot to Android

Trying the power off button will just reboot to Android as well.

Knew I should not have tried this :(

Did you install the Novacom drivers correctly?

Turn off TP, take out USB. Hold power and volume up until you see a giant USB icon. Report back.

edit: CWM recovery mode? or the USB icon mode?

Ashhong

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I do. You need to install the Cyanogen adb driver, which is a modification of the Google driver. Follow this guide:

Guide on Cyanogen Wiki

If you're using Windows, then, in short:

0. Make sure USB Debigging and developer mode are enabled on your Touchpad.

1. From the SDK Manager, install the Google USB Driver Package (which are USB drivers for Google's Nexua phones).

2. The driver will have automatically been downloaded to your Android SDK folder\extras\google\usb_driver\

3. Replace the android_winusb.inf in that folder with the Cyanogen one here: (link) It's a modification of the Google drivers.

4. Install the driver from that folder. You might have to do it via the Device Manager.

A note: I had USB drivers for another Android device installed previously (my phone) and I had trouble installing the Cyanogen drivers until I uninstalled my phone's drivers.

To test if your Touchpad is recognized, plug it in, open the Command Prompt, type "adb devices" and it should show the Touchpad. If it's there, then when you attempt to run an Android project in Eclipse, it will automatically run it on the Touchpad instead of one of the Android emulators you may have set up.

you are AMAZING

thanks!

Weird, should have worked fine. Lets uninstall it all then reinstall it later if you choose to.

http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/kmobs/ACMEUninstaller download that

open CMD
cd into the directory that you have ACMEuninstaller in, similar to how you did it for ACMEinstaller
type novacom boot mem:// < ACMEUninstaller

should work

Thanks a lot. Back to trusty and safe WebOS. I think if I ran ACMEinstaller again it would have worked since I threw moboot onto the touchpad while it was running Android and that has worked for others. I just could not get into the USB mode for touchpad to run it until now.

Ashhong

Thanks a lot. Back to trusty and safe WebOS. I think if I ran ACMEinstaller again it would have worked since I threw moboot onto the touchpad while it was running Android and that has worked for others. I just could not get into the USB mode for touchpad to run it until now.
You should have had moboot already in the cminstall folder next to the acmeinstall files on the tp. Then it installs with android the first time

You should have had moboot already in the cminstall folder next to the acmeinstall files on the tp. Then it installs with android the first time

I initially copied the moboot zip file along with clockwork and CM7 into the folder named cminstall on my touchpad like the tutorial said. I only tried putting moboot on again after I was already stuck on android and when I should have had it already.

Ashhong

For future reference what would I have to do to get Android back on my TP (I ran ACMEuninstaller so all the files are there I just need moboot)

not sure why your first error happened really. you just need moboot, CWM, and rom zip files in the cminstall folder before running acmeinstaller.

Ashhong

ORVRKl.png

Nobody answered so I'm just going to quote myself...anybody have a battery graph to compare to?

HolyCheck

Nobody answered so I'm just going to quote myself...anybody have a battery graph to compare to?

I'll try to remember to take one later tonight! I can't remember how to get into the feature tho? i only see it when its YOUR BATTERY IS LOW'ing me :(

Top Bottom