• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Chesskid1

Banned
GTA3 works fine. controller doesn't work though, prolly have to map controls or use some other controller emulator, cause the sticks work to turn the car.

touch screen controls are actually alrite.

kehs

Banned
Is it free? I just paid 10 cents for a keyboard, then paid 10 cents for "live wallpaper" and I felt empty enough after both transactions to swear I would never pay for UI elements ever again.

The free version doesn't have support, it's like a month behind in features from the paid one.

Natiko

Banned
Hey all, I won a Touchpad from HP a couple weeks back and just got home to mess with it yesterday. I installed Android on it already but that was kinda it. Any tips on what else to do? Anything you all use it for or apps you suggest picking up? It's my first tablet, device with webOS, and device with Android all at once so I'm sort of at a loss.

freshair

Alpha MIUI rom for the touchpad dropped 2 days ago:

shot_000001.png

For those unfamiliar with MIUI, it's basically a graphical UI overhaul for android and is the first "non-CyanogenMod/carrier/manufacturer framework overhaul of Android 2.3.7"

Working:

Audio/Sound
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Touchscreen
Charging
All sensors
Wired earphone/headphone
Gallery
YouTube
MIUI Backup (don’t backup contacts)
Multi-Touch
MIUI Themes

Not Working:

No On-Screen Menu (working on it)
Other Random Bugs

Also, it looks like softkeys aren't working yet, so use this app from the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey
Video in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQptJnV2vQ&feature=player_embedded

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391072

Ashhong

Hey all, I won a Touchpad from HP a couple weeks back and just got home to mess with it yesterday. I installed Android on it already but that was kinda it. Any tips on what else to do? Anything you all use it for or apps you suggest picking up? It's my first tablet, device with webOS, and device with Android all at once so I'm sort of at a loss.

I don't know what to tell you...it seems pretty much just for internet browsing and movie watching for most people. i would check out the Gameboy Advance emulator though, looking to download that myself once my touchpad comes in.

mclaren777

Three quick questions...

1. Do you guys typically use your TouchPad in landscape or portrait orientation?
2. When is CyanogenMod scheduled to have a final "v1.0" release on the TP?
3. If I do install CyanogenMod, will I still be able to use WebOS when I want?

clav

Three quick questions...

1. Do you guys typically use your TouchPad in landscape or portrait orientation?

1. Portrait for reading. Landscape for watching videos.
2. No ETA. Currently the scene is concentrating efforts on an ICS port.
3. Yes as the installation only allows for dual-boot.

List of working/non working apps:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AutUA48XWhwUdC01N2VlMHVmeFY0LVU2UUNLNDJHRXc&hl=en_GB

Big ones that are buggy are the official facebook app (use fake gps or install the superior friendcaster) and certain games. Otherwise go nuts.

Three quick questions...

from what I know the last alpha were last and now they are working on ics.

The cable stopped working, bought a new one, then i couldn't turn it on It used to have a flashing light at the home button when i tried to charge it but now nothing. It's as dead as a dodo.

Have you tried charging through the touchstone? I realize it may not be worth buying it on a whim.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to do the equivalent of a ctrl+f search on the base webOS browser? Haven't gotten around to installing Android yet.

J-Rod

I don't know, it just stopped charging literally what i described above is what happened. it jsut stopped charging.

You may try unscrewing the wall charger and screwing it back making sure it snaps into place. If comes untwisted just a bit, it doesn't seem to work.

Bleepey

I don't think you can charge it through a PC because it doesn't provide enough power.

Hmmm. I will call HP and hopefully i can sort it out. The thing is,usually when i connect it to my PC it says there is not enough power coming in, now there's nothing.

freshair

I don't know, it just stopped charging literally what i described above is what happened. it jsut stopped charging.

bizarre indeed. have you tried just leaving it in overnight and then try turning it on via power+home, 24 hours later?

seems like a stretch, but it might work.

also, have you checked to see whether the port is misaligned? seems to be a common problem. insert the cable and wiggle it around a bit.

Bleepey

bizarre indeed. have you tried just leaving it in overnight and then try turning it on via power+home, 24 hours later?

seems like a stretch, but it might work.

also, have you checked to see whether the port is misaligned? seems to be a common problem. insert the cable and wiggle it around a bit.

I have done all that and i have seen the problem on other forums:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...15pvXA-U9zhdMnrMw&sig2=jPA4dGdLtL4iPZ69htmsXA

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-HP-Consumer-Products-and/HP-TouchPad-will-not-charge/td-p/830805

DJ_Tet

Banned
I thought mine bricked once after installing the v1 android. You probably tried this but did you hold down the Home and Power button for a long time together?

That's the hard reset built into the machine. I wonder if yours locked up and ran out of power.

edit: I also had to do this w v3 android port a few nights ago. My touchpad was making a sound every hour or so so I picked it up (hadn't used it in a couple of days) and the touch screen wouldn't work. The only way to get it to respond was to press the Home and Power button for a really long time.

Good news is I haven't had speaker 'crackling' since I have been back on Android. Another nice thing is Android has Amazon Cloud Player and Google Music apps. I was using the Advanced Browser in webOS to stream my music but once the screen would shut off the music would stop.

With the apps the streaming continues even when the screen shuts off, way better for the battery obviously.

Would be a nice Christmas present...

Wishful thinking.

There's only a few of them working on it, and they only have it compiled and running, no mods, on one device so far (some high-end phone). The Android world is a highly fragmented bunch of devices, and they have to customize it for each one. TouchPad isn't at the top of their priority list of devices, especially since they don't have all the specs and drivers for it.

cbox

Got my touchpad just the other day, updated to the latest version of webos, and then proceeded to install preware and some recommended patches and apps.

Now my machine restarts randomly :/ It's not a full reset I think as it doesn't take long, but the screen goes black and the hp logo glows and relaunches.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Doopliss

Wishful thinking.

There's only a few of them working on it, and they only have it compiled and running, no mods, on one device so far (some high-end phone). The Android world is a highly fragmented bunch of devices, and they have to customize it for each one. TouchPad isn't at the top of their priority list of devices, especially since they don't have all the specs and drivers for it.
The Touchpad is the top priority of the guys that ported CM7 to it. Not sure how much the ICS port relies on people who only work on other devices.

Echoplx

Heh, just got a full shipping refund

Thank you for your recent purchase of a refurbished HP TouchPad from HP's eBay store. Due to an error in the calculation of Shipping & Handling fees for the HP TouchPad, you were charged an additional $10 in shipping fees for your order. We have recognized this error and HP's eBay store will credit $10 to your PayPal account for each HP TouchPad you ordered. eBay and HP are also aware that in some instances, the shopping experience of HP's eBay store was impacted by the overwhelming response to the HP Touchpad deal. eBay and HP are committed to delivering the best shopping experience possible on eBay and are providing you with an additional $9 credit to your PayPal account for each of your HP Touchpad orders. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced when purchasing the HP Touchpad. Your combined credit of $19 will cover the standard shipping cost for each HP Touchpad you ordered. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

hey, realy quick...whats the best free video coverter for the touchpad? Catching some flights this week and need some distractions.....Thanks

TehOh

hey, realy quick...whats the best free video coverter for the touchpad? Catching some flights this week and need some distractions.....Thanks

Are you running WebOS or Android?

If Android, grab the RockPlayer app. Plays most formats.

On WebOS, pay for Kalemsoft. It's expensive, but will handle anything you throw at it.

Echoplx

Dammit! I got one shipped from the US (I'm in aus) but forgot about the power adapters!

Need to run out and grab one now >.>

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if there was a nice guide to set up Android on this, or is it still in the stage that theres half a dozen projects going on and everyones still working out what works best?

: )

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bad news for those of us with the crackling speakers (or at least me..)

It just happened when I was in Android. So the issue isn't completely (or at all) related to webOS. I wonder if Android is using the same sound drivers, it could be a driver issue if so.

Otherwise it's a hardware issue I'm assuming. Hope it doesn't get worse (as usual a reboot cleared it up for me.)

I'm loving Android just for the apps, but I enjoy a lot of the webos stuff too. The facebook and email apps in particular seem better, maybe I was just more used to them.

Top Bottom