• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
http://liliputing.com/2011/10/how-t...oid-on-the-hp-touchpad-with-cyanogenmod7.html

Guys I'm following this, and the first step tells me to download the palm novacom.. then it takes me to the hp site to download the SDK PDK software.

the next step is to download some more files and put them in the palm folder.

but I never downloaded the palm software because the HP site it directed me to didnt tell me too
now im so confused : (

edit: now the 2nd site isnt even clear on what files to download

fuck this : ( back to simple webos

HolyCheck

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So tempted to put android on mine but I can hold out I think for ICS -.-''

Plus I have a nook color with cm7 and android phone, so most of those needs are kinda covered.

I've posted this in the past: Easy step-by-step instructions for installing Android on your Touchpad.

You'll be done in 20 minutes!

Thanks for that...I have one of those bookmarked from earlier but have seemed to lost it.

So has Android gotten pretty stable now? A few months ago I read it was at like 85% or something

Any news on when ICS is coming to the touchpad?

Check out the last page...its going to be a while since there arent many working on it.

HolyCheck

*sigh*

I'm still hitting the same roadblock

"Extract the files from the ACMEInstaller.zip into your c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc folder or wherever your novacom executable file installed"

I do not have that on my computer anywhere? should it have installed when I set up the SDK stuff? have I buggered it up? I can get the virtual webOS machine to run.. but agh

D-Fens

from what I remember, you should have a folder titled "opt" somewhere. find it and the open "nova" > "bin" and extract the file there

HolyCheck

and I'm annoying...

Next, turn on the TouchPad and immediately push the volume up button until you get a big USB symbol on your screen.

why I cant get this to work I don't know... i hold down the power button til something happens, then spam that up volume button like a boss

edit: my reflexes werent fast enough ;_;

Hold the volume button, then turn it on.

*face palms* doh

and I'm annoying...

Next, turn on the TouchPad and immediately push the volume up button until you get a big USB symbol on your screen.

why I cant get this to work I don't know... i hold down the power button til something happens, then spam that up volume button like a boss

Hold the volume button, then turn it on.

IceCold

Dammit. I just checked the speakers of my touchpad... and I have the crack on one of them.. :(

Took ~3 months for it to happen. Now I remember why I never buy products from HP (that aren't over 70% off).

HolyCheck

Welp.

Good work to me I've killed my touchpad.

the USB screen is up and it wont go away... even if i remove the USB cable.. and I can't turn it off lol.

HolyCheck

Hold the power and home button for 15 seconds.

<3

Now to be even more of an annoyance... I forgot to download and put in my cmiinstall file the clockwork recovery mod... would any one know how I can put this on there now? as I know I need it to get the app store working........

:(

narca

Banned
Used this tutorial to install CM7 Alpha 3.5. Took 20 minutes, really easy and clean install. Alpha 3.5 is running great.

So I'm a complete Android noob, someone recommend some cool stuff I haven't seen on iOS!

HolyCheck

Wooo I got it working... app store wont download... but I will save that til the new year to sort out.

sorry for being a whiney bitch ;_;

IceCold

I think I just bricked my touchpad. I installed android and everything was working fine. Then I rebooted my touchpad, and as it's loading android (with that animation of the arrow going in circles), everything froze. I waited and at some point the screen became black. Now I can't turn it on anymore. What do I do?

Doopliss

I think I just bricked my touchpad. I installed android and everything was working fine. Then I rebooted my touchpad, and as it's loading android (with that animation of the arrow going in circles), everything froze. I waited and at some point the screen became black. Now I can't turn it on anymore. What do I do?
Hold down the home and power buttons until the screen comes on, it might take 30 seconds or so. If nothing happens, plug it into the wall to charge for half an hour and try again.

Posting from CM7
:)
Feels Goodman. So this is what's its like to have a robust Market on a tablet. :lol

Everything went smoothly besides one thing. During the install/debug menu there was a hitch where some instructions stopped printing or something. It was frozen until I pressed the home button...just wondering if that happened to anyone else?

Echoplx

Don't know why everyone is so keen to switch to Android, WebOS is pretty damn good. Bought the advanced browser and kalemsoft media player and it does everything I want now, 1080p movies are completely smooth and the advanced browser has all the features of a desktop browser. Grabbed OpenTTD and a snes emu along with some free appstore games and I'm set.

Don't know why everyone is so keen to switch to Android, WebOS is pretty damn good. Bought the advanced browser and kalemsoft media player and it does everything I want now, 1080p movies are completely smooth and the advanced browser has all the features of a desktop browser. Grabbed OpenTTD and a snes emu along with some free appstore games and I'm set.

In general, I like WebOS a little more too, but 1) Android has all the apps, customizations, hacks, etc. while WebOS has very little, and 2) I personally have a lot of fun developing for Android in Java.

Apps.

Any instruction on how to install this using OSX?? Every single tutorial contains only windows information. I'm stuck at the part where you need to enter the terminal commands, and don't know the equivalent directories/commands in osx.

11. Once it’s recognized, open a terminal and navigate to the Palm Novacom directory. On a Windows computer you can do this by following these steps:

Click on the Start Menu.
Type “cmd” (without quotes) into the search box.
A terminal window should open up — but you’re in the wrong directory.
Type “cd c:\” and press enter to get to your root directory.
To navigate to the correct directory, type “dir” and press enter to see a list of directories.
On my computer, I next typed “cd Program Files” and hit enter, then “cd Palm, Inc” and hit enter again.
12. Enter the following command (without quotes) and hit return: “novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller”.

freshair

Any instruction on how to install this using OSX?? Every single tutorial contains only windows information. I'm stuck at the part where you need to enter the terminal commands, and don't know the equivalent directories/commands in osx.

it's actually way easier in mac.

just launch terminal

type cd and drag/drop the folder containing ACME into the terminal window, and it should generate its path for you. for ex: cd user/freshir/desktop/newfolder/acme
press enter to enter directory
then novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

Echoplx

I can understand why people like Android of course, it's just a lot of people make WebOS out to be horrible and act as if Android is the only option.

gokieks

I can understand why people like Android of course, it's just a lot of people make WebOS out to be horrible and act as if Android is the only option.

webOS has a lot of nice features (its notifications and multitasking interface are still the best around, and the native Mail app is fantastic), but using it as a web browser on webOS 3.0.2 (last version I actually spend serious time using) really is absolutely painful compared to Android.

Ashhong

I think a lot of that is just the Android hive mind. I didn't even want one until after I saw WebOS running on it.

I am still rocking the webos and I can not live without the flicking action to close windows haha. I tried to do that on my laptop :p I do not have that many apps so for me what it came with is more than enough. I will however try ICS when ever stable release is done.

Yeah figured it out, thx. Running pretty well so far. Nice to actually have some apps on this thing. Hurry up ICS, cause this OS is kinda ghetto for a tablet.

Ashhong

I am still rocking the webos and I can not live without the flicking action to close windows haha. I tried to do that on my laptop :p I do not have that many apps so for me what it came with is more than enough. I will however try ICS when ever stable release is done.

Can webOS play divx avi files? If it can I have no need to go to Android.

HolyCheck

Hmm, has anyone purchased any apps on the android market? I bought Monopoly lastnight, but on going to play it theres a "we need to download 20mb more" so i let it do that.. but the download just says na 0/0

I think it's borked : ( I hope i can get my moneys back

Echoplx

Does anyone know how to side load books into the Kindle app properly? I'm trying to get the Skyrim books mobi on there but the preware app and Calibre don't seem to work.

NVM worked it out, had to reboot for the import app to work.

I'm willing to use a buggy android than a stable WebOS just for app support. All the stuff I wanted to use the tablet for was severely lacking in WebOS:
-ad-hoc wireless support (so I can connect to the internet thru my tethered phone)
-media player with subtitle support
-Netflix
-good web browser

And the one app I actually bought (Splashtop) straight up didn't work and I couldn't figure out why. I got the Android equivalent and it works perfectly. Of course I'm aware that Kalemsoft now support subtitles, but I have no reason to boot back to WebOS. I haven't booted back since the day CM7 came out in October.

Hmm, has anyone purchased any apps on the android market? I bought Monopoly lastnight, but on going to play it theres a "we need to download 20mb more" so i let it do that.. but the download just says na 0/0

I think it's borked : ( I hope i can get my moneys back

Just remember you get a 15 minute window for refunds.

Top Bottom