• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

kIdMuScLe

35 hrs or so, for comparison.
pcrRt.png
Wow... that is so misleading...

Yeah, I thought it was standby time that everyone was interested in. Whatever, all the info needed should be easy to determine from the graph, not sure how it is in any way misleading.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
upgraded to anroid. looks and feels great. how do i upgrade to alpha 3.5? im on version 1 i guess

Ashhong

Yeah, I thought it was standby time that everyone was interested in. Whatever, all the info needed should be easy to determine from the graph, not sure how it is in any way misleading.

I was interested in standby time actually, just wanted to make sure mine wasnt sucking more juice than others. But it looks like your wifi time was 100% like mine. That seems like a waste...don't want it on all the time.

The outer case has cracked by my left speaker, now the sound is all distorted. I had my TP in a cover case the whole time, how is it so fragile after one business trip the case has cracked? The TP was on my nightstand the whole time except for this trip. My iPad gets all the use and taken around everywhere, TP was only for web browsing in bed. The build quality sure sucks, I wanted to listen to the Giantbombcast, but had to switch to my phone the sound was so distorted on the TP.

The outer case has cracked by my left speaker, now the sound is all distorted. I had my TP in a cover case the whole time, how is it so fragile after one business trip the case has cracked? The TP was on my nightstand the whole time except for this trip. My iPad gets all the use and taken around everywhere, TP was only for web browsing in bed. The build quality sure sucks, I wanted to listen to the Giantbombcast, but had to switch to my phone the sound was so distorted on the TP.

Try to reboot your TP hopefully it should fix the distorted sound...there are a number of people here, including myself, that had that same prob.

As far as the cracked speaker a number of people had that too. It hasnt happened to me but I'm probably going to avoid HP products from now on

Ashhong

I have read that the cracked speaker leads to a cracked screen. I would google.

Toby

pretty much the same process mostly.

download the 3.5 zip file:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-releasealpha35cyanogenmod-touchpad/

put it in the cminstall folder

reboot into cwm recovery

wipe dalvik and cache (your files will still be intact)

update from zip > navigate to cminstall > select update file

wait/reboot

I don't have to upgrade from a previous alpha to get to 3.5 right?
Was planning to just follow this guide but use the 3.5 zip
Edit: thanks for the quick reply fresh!

Alpha 3.5 caused me problems and solved none from 3. Actually, I had no problems with 3. When I upgraded to 3.5, my WiFi started dropping constantly and the tablet would randomly just shut off after being asleep awhile and had to be booted from a cold start. I reverted back to 3 and the new problems vanished.

Ashhong

I recommend the Xron rom. 0 problems for me from day 1 and it runs very smoothly. The only issue is that wifi never goes off even when sleeping...a bit off. Must be a setting somewhere dammit!

The wifi issues in alpha 3.5 are still bullshit. Wifi panel constantly crashing. Can't even get wifi on anymore, without going through awkward steps of turning if off/on which works like 10% of the time.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The wifi issues in alpha 3.5 are still bullshit. Wifi panel constantly crashing. Can't even get wifi on anymore, without going through awkward steps of turning if off/on which works like 10% of the time.

Yar this can be frustrating, this it's inability for wifi to work properly within games and the headphone output not working are the 3 worst things atm for me

Ashhong

do you have a nice easy guide to follow for xron?

Its the exact same process as CM7. Put the Xron zip on your TP, anywhere, load into CWM Recovery, do a complete factory wipe, wipe cache, wipe advanced options->dalvik cache, then install the Xron zip from sdcard.

You may also want to make a backup just in case.

Be aware the latest Xron contains bloat. I'm not sure why he leaves bloat in sometimes and other times takes it out.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Its the exact same process as CM7. Put the Xron zip on your TP, anywhere, load into CWM Recovery, do a complete factory wipe, wipe cache, wipe advanced options->dalvik cache, then install the Xron zip from sdcard.

You may also want to make a backup just in case.

Be aware the latest Xron contains bloat. I'm not sure why he leaves bloat in sometimes and other times takes it out.

Where do I get the Xron download??

what is bloat?

what is Xron? is it an OS?

lol :)

Ashhong

Where do I get the Xron download??

what is bloat?

what is Xron? is it an OS?

lol :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

or more specifically, http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Touchpad_Developers/Team_Xron/CM7base_XRONified/ you want the newest one there

Bloat is apps that you dont want or need. For example, Amazon Kindle app. It's like all the crap that your PC comes with if you buy from Dell. Not a huge deal though.

Xron is a custom ROM that can be installed on the Touchpad. It is CM7 based, just optimized a bit to work better.

gokieks

Updated TO CM7 alpha 3.5, and it definitely feels more polished compared to alpha 2, but also buggier. I can't read more than a few items in Google Reader without it freezing and prompting me to force quit the service. Might have to try xron or maybe CM7 alpha 3.

Doopliss

Updated TO CM7 alpha 3.5, and it definitely feels more polished compared to alpha 2, but also buggier. I can't read more than a few items in Google Reader without it freezing and prompting me to force quit the service. Might have to try xron or maybe CM7 alpha 3.
Did you wipe data in CWM when you updated? There's a good chance that would fix any of the new problems you started getting, although obviously you'd have to set up all your apps and things again.

Ok after installing XRON version my PC keeps telling me to format the disk drive when I try to USB mount the Touchpad to it. I've had this happen before after installing a new version of CM7 and the fix was going back to WebOS and run some patch/fix in preware, however I can't remember what that fix was and I can't find a thread explaining it anywhere.

Does anyone know what it is?

gokieks

Did you wipe data in CWM when you updated? There's a good chance that would fix any of the new problems you started getting, although obviously you'd have to set up all your apps and things again.

I've tried CM7 alpha 3, 3.5, and Xron 2.8 all with clean installs, and they all have the same issue. Looks like I'm not alone either, so looks like I'll be going back to alpha 2.1. Because Google Reader is the thing I use more than anything else on my TouchPad.

Ashhong

Ok, so I installed XRON and now my keyboard looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/WVCyE.png[IMG]

-.-

Also how does one uninstall stuff with root explorer?[/QUOTE]

I had that problem too. Easy solution? Install a new keyboard. I recommend either Keyboard for Android (Gingerbread) or the top rated ICS keyboard. They both work great. Or Go Keyboard if you want to swype or something.

Uninstall bloatware with Titanium Backup. The free one will work.

Not sure about your format disk error though. Never had that sorry.

I had that problem too. Easy solution? Install a new keyboard. I recommend either Keyboard for Android (Gingerbread) or the top rated ICS keyboard. They both work great. Or Go Keyboard if you want to swype or something.

Uninstall bloatware with Titanium Backup. The free one will work.

Not sure about your format disk error though. Never had that sorry.

Yeah I ended up going with the Go Keyboard, it'll do for now, might look into some better ones later.

gokieks

Im also giving Go keyboard a try, but the inconsistency in where I can and can't use swipe input is maddening. Why won't it work on inputting URLs in Dolphin HD?!

Petrie

Banned
So I installed android on my bros TP, and now im trying to update it, but I don't seem to be able to get it into recovery. Unlike mine, his boos straight into android and I can't seem to figure out what im doing wrong. Any advice on getting this thing sorted?

Doopliss

So I installed android on my bros TP, and now im trying to update it, but I don't seem to be able to get it into recovery. Unlike mine, his boos straight into android and I can't seem to figure out what im doing wrong. Any advice on getting this thing sorted?
You didn't install Moboot, or it didn't install correctly. You have to use ACMEInstaller again to get it on there.

gokieks

Run ACMEUninstaller, then make sure you put the moboot and ClockworkMod zips along with the CM7 one in the cminstall folder when you run ACMEInstaller again.

Ashhong

Pretty sure u can add just the moboot and run acme installer to get it on. Don't have to run acmeuninstaller, though I would just in case

Apath

I can't wait to get rid of this thing. The lack of decent apps on the app store really hurts the overall value of this device. Even for $100.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I can't wait to get rid of this thing. The lack of decent apps on the app store really hurts the overall value of this device. Even for $100.

Really? I enjoy it for just the web browser alone. Plus one day Ill put android on it for more apps.

dream

You should put Android on it. Not only does it have a ton of apps but you'll be helping rid the world of webOS one install at a time and that is a very worthy cause.

marrec

Banned
Really? I enjoy it for just the web browser alone. Plus one day Ill put android on it for more apps.

You should put Android on it. Not only does it have a ton of apps but you'll be helping rid the world of webOS one install at a time and that is a very worthy cause.

Man, I really enjoy WebOS and use it WAY more often than Android.

I really appreciate the CM team, but fuck is Android a terrible OS.

giga

Both webOS and Android 2.x are terrible after using iPads since 2010. I have one just sitting unopened for the hope of getting a stable build of ICS on it. Windows 8 would be my preference though.

marrec

Banned
Both webOS and Android 2.x are terrible after using iPads since 2010. I have one just sitting unopened for the hope of getting a stable build of ICS on it. Windows 8 would be my preference though.

I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I really like WebOS better than iOS. *shrug* It's a close run thing though.

SRG01

I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I really like WebOS better than iOS. *shrug* It's a close run thing though.

I can't see how anyone would not like using webOS. Installing all the performance tweaks makes the tablet fly. The only issues I have with it are the audio bugs, and some other small miscellanea.

edit: Anecdotal: My first experience with webOS was way more intuitive than either Android, iOS, and QNX.

giga

I can write an in depth post with screenshots comparing the two if you guys want. I like a few things about webOS like its notification system for example, but mostly it just isn't as great as I thought it would be for various reasons.

I was really excited about webOS 3 too when it was initially revealed if you want to check that hp event thread.

Top Bottom