• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

So all of the sudden I am having problems with the Wi-Fi setting, namely, my touchpad is not connecting and whenever I try to go to Settings>Wireless & Network>WiFi Settings, it completely locks up and won't let me open any of the network settings menus, yet when I hit the home button, it goes right back to the home screen. Tried resetting a few times and nothing. Is there a way to clear all the wifi settings data or some kind of hard reset? Running CMa3, BTW

PSGames

I finally got around to installing xron and am hugely disappointed. WebOS is smoother, easier to use and is just plain superior to this hacked on Android experience in almost every way.

ICS can't come soon enough.

saunderez

So all of the sudden I am having problems with the Wi-Fi setting, namely, my touchpad is not connecting and whenever I try to go to Settings>Wireless & Network>WiFi Settings, it completely locks up and won't let me open any of the network settings menus, yet when I hit the home button, it goes right back to the home screen. Tried resetting a few times and nothing. Is there a way to clear all the wifi settings data or some kind of hard reset? Running CMa3, BTW

Delete the following file, reboot and reset up your AP.

/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

You will need R/W access of the file system to do this, the easiest way is through Root Explorer or ES File Explorer root mode.

This USUALLY fixes the problem. No promises though.

Delete the following file, reboot and reset up your AP.

/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

You will need R/W access of the file system to do this, the easiest way is through Root Explorer or ES File Explorer root mode.

This USUALLY fixes the problem. No promises though.

Done and worked perfectly. Thanks!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What's worth getting from the app store? I want to get the advanced browser but I'm not interested in signing up for the store for one thing.

Joe

splashtop was free on amazon market a couple days ago!

android so far on it is awesome, destroys battery though.

If you install Android you could use the tabalicious and Hotmail devouring Dolphin HD.

WebOS is a pretty seriously terrible OS but some people have convinced themselves it's some kind of Holy Grail and refuse to install Android on it. Some of them might come around when ICS is available for Touchpad, others will forever remain in darkness and doubt.

thirty

Banned
Is the only fix really to reinstall? Seems like a wide spread thing. Better off just waiting if that's the case. Web os is slow as fuck but atleast it works.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If you install Android you could use the tabalicious and Hotmail devouring Dolphin HD.

Does Silverlight work on any of the Android browsers? I planned on holding off converting to Android for a while but I would love to be able to run the D&D character creator on this thing.

deduce

WebOS is a pretty seriously terrible OS but some people have convinced themselves it's some kind of Holy Grail and refuse to install Android on it. Some of them might come around when ICS is available for Touchpad, others will forever remain in darkness and doubt.
It's not that WebOS is a Holy Grail, it's just that Android is terrible for tablets. I use Advanced Browser for tabbed web browsing, Tea Reader for my Google Reader needs, and Splashtop to mess with my computer from my couch. That's all I need from a tablet, and WebOS does those tasks well. If I need anything else, I'll download an app on my iPhone.

Also with WebOS, I can leave my Touchpad alone and come back a week later with it still showing full battery life. With Android installed, I can't get a full day of battery while it idles. I'll try Android again when the ICS port comes out, but terrible battery life makes Android useless to me.

Cruzader

Banned
FYI XRON rom has managed to fix the audio out with headphones. I had a bug ever since on WebOS where I plugged in headphones and audio still came out of the speakers. Alpha 1/2 still had the bug. XRON fixed that so Im glad.

So anyone has that SPB SHELL 3D launcher? I want to buy it but feels to expensive.

It is more than enough for many people. It has good interface. As said already use advance browser and splashtop for other things. There is also office app built in. What more does a casual user needs? It canplay movies through many software too. I talk through skype it works great. I can toss and close app the best thing ever and as deduce said battery lasts forever.

It is more than enough for many people. It has good interface. As said already use advance browser and splashtop for other things. There is also office app built in. What more does a casual user needs? It canplay movies through many software too. I talk through skype it works great. I can toss and close app the best thing ever and as deduce said battery lasts forever.

Netflix (though the main reason I switched was because I couldn't tether it to my phone in WebOS)

thirty

Banned
It's not that WebOS is a Holy Grail, it's just that Android is terrible for tablets. I use Advanced Browser for tabbed web browsing, Tea Reader for my Google Reader needs, and Splashtop to mess with my computer from my couch. That's all I need from a tablet, and WebOS does those tasks well. If I need anything else, I'll download an app on my iPhone.

Also with WebOS, I can leave my Touchpad alone and come back a week later with it still showing full battery life. With Android installed, I can't get a full day of battery while it idles. I'll try Android again when the ICS port comes out, but terrible battery life makes Android useless to me.
I recently figured out that when you do the "sleep" function all you're doing is turning the screen off. I was listening to music and it just kept going. Nothing sleeps at all. There's no proper sleep mode with the mod.

deduce

I recently figured out that when you do the "sleep" function all you're doing is turning the screen off. I was listening to music and it just kept going. Nothing sleeps at all. There's no proper sleep mode with the mod.
I figured the battery life issues were related to issues with the port, but even my Galaxy phone had terrible battery life. Hell, my iPhone 4S has similar battery problems. I only use the Touchpad maybe an hour a day, but I'm always amazed at how long my Touchpad lasts between charges.

saunderez

I figured the battery life issues were related to issues with the port, but even my Galaxy phone had terrible battery life. Hell, my iPhone 4S has similar battery problems. I only use the Touchpad maybe an hour a day, but I'm always amazed at how long my Touchpad lasts between charges.

Your battery life isn't normal. I get several days between charges when I'm not using the Touchpad a lot. A phone is always going to have worse battery life because it's constantly searching for or connected to a phone network. If you have Wifi set to sleep on screen off the Touchpad should have minimal power loss when not in use.

Your battery life isn't normal. I get several days between charges when I'm not using the Touchpad a lot. A phone is always going to have worse battery life because it's constantly searching for or connected to a phone network. If you have Wifi set to sleep on screen off the Touchpad should have minimal power loss when not in use.

I have both on. Recently mine was not used for 3 days and it lost only some battery. Screen sleeps after some inactivity obviously. Wireless I dunoo but should be.

Doopliss

FYI XRON rom has managed to fix the audio out with headphones. I had a bug ever since on WebOS where I plugged in headphones and audio still came out of the speakers. Alpha 1/2 still had the bug. XRON fixed that so Im glad.

So anyone has that SPB SHELL 3D launcher? I want to buy it but feels to expensive.
That was fixed way back in Alpha 2.

cbox

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this,

I found an hp touchpad keyboard at stapes and quickly purchased it. Works great on the touchpad, but i'm more interested in using it on my pc. Now, It pairs properly with my win7 desktop pc and laptop, but the keyboard only works on the laptop and not on my pc. I don't get it, it says it's connected but I can't type.

Any possible solution? I'm at a loss here

Ashhong

I found an hp touchpad keyboard at stapes and quickly purchased it. Works great on the touchpad, but i'm more interested in using it on my pc. Now, It pairs properly with my win7 desktop pc and laptop, but the keyboard only works on the laptop and not on my pc. I don't get it, it says it's connected but I can't type.

Sorry no help with that, but can I ask what staples? Been looking for the keyboard and wireless charging dock at Staples but they dont seem to carry it anymore...

there might be setting in control panal may be to say which keyboard is the main one. May be in keyboard properties?

cbox

Sorry no help with that, but can I ask what staples? Been looking for the keyboard and wireless charging dock at Staples but they dont seem to carry it anymore...

there might be setting in control panal may be to say which keyboard is the main one. May be in keyboard properties?

Ahh I wonder if that option exists, i'll check it out when i get home.

@Ash, It was a staples in Toronto - I literally dug through a cart full of old mp3 players and found them there, I think someone was hiding them haha

They were severely discounted, I was shocked to find them actually.

Bleepey

Woot i am now at the linujx boot screen. It went to the bit where i allowed me to choose the various OS. But it did not allow me to choose Android.

Ashhong

Ahh I wonder if that option exists, i'll check it out when i get home.

@Ash, It was a staples in Toronto - I literally dug through a cart full of old mp3 players and found them there, I think someone was hiding them haha

They were severely discounted, I was shocked to find them actually.

Damn, maybe I'll have to look through some bins. I'm in socal though :(

My work, office depot, has them still.

I get bigger discounts at Staples with the use of rewards/coupons...might have to resort to OD though.

Woot i am now at the linujx boot screen. It went to the bit where i allowed me to choose the various OS. But it did not allow me to choose Android.

What options were there? Did you see "boot recovery" or clockworkmod at least?

Bleepey

Damn, maybe I'll have to look through some bins. I'm in socal though :(

I get bigger discounts at Staples with the use of rewards/coupons...might have to resort to OD though.

What options were there? Did you see "boot recovery" or clockworkmod at least?

It took me over 24 hours but fuck me i have done it. Oh lord!

Bleepey

After comparing the two it seems that WebOS is not too bad. WebOS does multitasking much better imo, i could leave Youtube videos in the background and listen to music whilst browsing or something else. That said, reading PDFs on the Kindle app is fucking Godlike seriously shit is smooth like butter.

After comparing the two it seems that WebOS is not too bad. WebOS does multitasking much better imo, i could leave Youtube videos in the background and listen to music whilst browsing or something else. That said, reading PDFs on the Kindle app is fucking Godlike seriously shit is smooth like butter.

you could read pdf on webos too isn't it? I have not tried it yet and yes webos is much better than it is credited with. very smooth os

Bleepey

you could read pdf on webos too isn't it? I have not tried it yet and yes webos is much better than it is credited with. very smooth os

Woot! My touchpad does not turn on! My pc detects it but that is all!

edit: A 20 second hard reset fixed it. This thing is annoying.

Petrie

Banned
Woot! My touchpad does not turn on! My pc detects it but that is all!

edit: A 20 second hard reset fixed it. This thing is annoying.

Crazy, an Alpha that you are TOLD they don't recommend you install doesn't work perfectly. Will wonders never cease...

marrec

Banned
Crazy, an Alpha that you are TOLD they don't recommend you install doesn't work perfectly. Will wonders never cease...

How annoying! :(

Hey while I'm here, is there a decent Podcatcher for either OS on this thing? I can't seem to find one that works consistently.

Top Bottom