• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I mean, it was supposed to be some kind of unexpected plot twist
since the character is there for comic relief most of the time and you only see a silhouette when you start the level
. It doesn't take a genius to notice that someone might want to find it out by himself :/
Another note to self: never underestimate Internet stupidity :/

Door2Dawn said:
Thats fucking awful

How much did you expect it to sell, exactly.
A black and white beat em up is not what the majority of people want these days, no matter how awesome it is.
Just like a game that was made to look like a Japanese painting of a wolf god wasn't what people wanted.

schlew

Door2Dawn said:
Thats fucking awful

It sucks and all, but we shouldn't discuss it too much further. Who knows what kind of cesspool this thread could become.

I really gotta play through it all again. Because of how fast paced everything feels (and the black and white artsyle) I really didn't get the chance to observe the characters and environments as much as I'd like. With something like Okami, I can really study the surroundings, but it was too difficult in Madworld. I wish it had some sort of model viewer like House of the Dead, the level of detail is amazing in MW.

Tenbatsu

schlew said:
I really gotta play through it all again. Because of how fast paced everything feels (and the black and white artsyle) I really didn't get the chance to observe the characters and environments as much as I'd like. With something like Okami, I can really study the surroundings, but it was too difficult in Madworld. I wish it had some sort of model viewer like House of the Dead, the level of detail is amazing in MW.
Yeah you got to replay it again. I am now trying to complete all Death Watch challenge, killing 25 enemies to clear a level is so dam hard.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Dascu

Some of the numbers posted in the NPD thread give me hope that this game could display some solid legs and manage to sell 200-300k copies in the USA, eventually. I really hope it doesn't scare Sega or Platinum Games from continuing their Wii support.

Scrubking

Given the type of game and Platinum's prior history with God Hand I'm willing to bet that that Madworld has already surpassed expectations.

Just look at expectations for God Hand.
Atsushi Inaba said:
We shipped out 60,000 units and sold nearly that, and it was a lot more than I originally thought. In fact, since this was a game aimed primarily at hardcore users, I thought we'd sell only maybe 20,000 or 30,000. But we sold twice that.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/10/interview_atsus.html

Tain

I dunno about that. MadWorld just looks and sounds like it cost way more than God Hand ever did, and it's a way more casual game through and through. I think they were hoping for more than this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tain said:
I dunno about that. MadWorld just looks and sounds like it cost way more than God Hand ever did, and it's a way more casual game through and through. I think they were hoping for more than this.
Absolutely not, it's the exact opposite. It's heavily stylized, and this alone is more than enough to make it appeal to a smaller crowd (with good taste, but still smaller).

However, reposting this from the retro boxarts for modern games thread:
4fwlu8.jpg

PlatinumGames, PLEASE, make it happen somehow! :lol

Dascu said:
Some of the numbers posted in the NPD thread give me hope that this game could display some solid legs and manage to sell 200-300k copies in the USA, eventually. I really hope it doesn't scare Sega or Platinum Games from continuing their Wii support.

Sega isn't going to care. They've been bleeding money on all the platforms, and considering the Wii is the one place they can actually sell Sonic anymore, they'll continue support.
Platinum REALLY doesn't care. They've stated many times, and have already said they expect Bayonetta to flop.

Tain

Absolutely not, it's the exact opposite. It's heavily stylized, and this alone is more than enough to make it appeal to a smaller crowd (with good taste, but still smaller).

I was talking about mechanically, where the game is unquestionably "casual," but even so, you really think MadWorld's Sin City look would appeal to less people than God Hand's fairly plain look?

ksamedi

Madworld did pretty good when compared to Godhand. I also think that No More Heroes did something close to that in its opening week. Madworld probably had an even smaller budget than No More Heroes so I guess this is a good start. I think it will sell over a longer period of time too.

Dragmire

Maybe, just maaaaaybe the game will sell much better once its price gets a little lower. Maybe it's just above that sweet spot that hardcore gamers are willing to spend, but it ends up doing pretty well at the $30-40 range...... eh?

Tenbatsu

What the fuck at that Shogun stage DeathWatch Challenge! No damage! Ahhhhh! Dam I don't think I can clear it at all:(((((((

I manage to execute a 999999(max) Ultra Violence finish. Its pretty simple, venue is at the castle.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Crease: Jack's going to beat these guys harder than you beat your meat!
Howard: Ohhhh man, this is going to be BRUTAL!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AceBandage said:
How much did you expect it to sell, exactly.
A black and white beat em up is not what the majority of people want these days, no matter how awesome it is.
Just like a game that was made to look like a Japanese painting of a wolf god wasn't what people wanted.

PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DO NOT DESERVE HAPPINESS

....:(

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
What the fuck at that Shogun stage DeathWatch Challenge! No damage! Ahhhhh! Dam I don't think I can clear it at all:(((((((

I manage to execute a 999999(max) Ultra Violence finish. Its pretty simple, venue is at the castle.
Oh?

Tenbatsu

Dascu said:
As Zombies will not die, you can repeatedly throw one into a treasure box dumpster inside the castle. Basiclly its throw -> body cut in half -> leg respawn -> repeat till 999999(max).

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
As Zombies will not die, you can repeatedly throw one into a treasure box dumpster inside the castle. Basiclly its throw -> body cut in half -> leg respawn -> repeat till 999999(max).
The points keep adding up like that? How odd.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
Oh shit, son. That's just low.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What's the best deal around for a US copy (possibily shipping to continental Europe as well)?
I need to import another copy for a gift.

Cheers :)

Dizzle24

AceBandage said:
Publishers want to be able to say "Hey, you know that awesome game? Yeah, we funded that."

This.

Also, I'm sure that the develppers (Platinum) would rather have dedicated fans that appreciate the material rather than 100k people that just play it and think of it as "just another game in my collection"

Although most niche titles have not always been as successful as Final Fantasy or Mario games, at the end of the day these guys would probably rather feel good about the work they did on a game that made some people enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed, rather than cash a check for some mediocre crapfest that took no skill or effort to create.

I dunno, it's early, no coffee yet; decipher at your own risk.

Ok, I convinced a friend(female) to give the game a shot, so she came over and tried it out...turns out she liked it even more than I thought she would. She is pretty much a "music gamer", so this type of thing is completely new to her, but she loved it. Actually, whats funny is that she said the exact same thing some at Platinum said, "Its great for stress".

The next day, she bought her and her brother a copy, which he thinks is the most "badass game ever". His words. Sales +2

Ok Platinum, I did my part, and it felt good.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm down to the last last stage of this game and I'll probably beat it tomorrow. The violence was kinda sickening to me at first, but I got used to it and I love the game now.

I just went back and read a few pages from when MadWorld released, since I missed it due to bannage. I'm glad to see a lot of you liked this game as well. I agree the commentary really completes the package, it's hilarious, even if it's a bit repetitive.

Zombie golf was a ton of fun, BTW. Favorite Bloodbath Challenge so far.

Dascu

robut said:
Gonna be 30 starting the 15th at Gamestop.
No excuses.

I hope that everyone who's still on the fence about this game decides to pick it up now. That's a low price and the game is definitely worth it.

Monocle

Good lord, what a discovery. I got MadWorld today ($29.99 at GameStop!) and after an hour of playing time I'm wondering why I didn't pick it up on launch day as I planned when it was announced. This game is glorious. The ultraviolence, irreverent tone and fighting mechanics are a fond reminder of No More Heroes--and let's be honest with ourselves, any kind of resemblance to NMH can only be a good thing. I'm deeply ashamed that I nearly allowed MadWorld to slip under my radar.

The black and white graphical style is something I was initially worried I'd dislike. I was intrigued by the look, yet I worried that it would make the action hard to follow. I couldn't be happier that my concern was unfounded. Far from being an irritant, the comic book visuals of the game are crisp and punchy. (I see people in this thread have been drawing apt comparisons to Sin City.) I haven't yet lost my bearings despite the swift pace of the gameplay. The camera is slightly wonky, though.

I haven't played MadWorld long enough to try many of the combat options. The sample of Jack's moves and environmental attacks that I have seen are satisfyingly brutal to say the least. I won't enumerate my favorites because I'd probably end up listing nearly everything.

I feel like I have a long way to go before I learn how to take full advantage of all the available tools. My combos are still clumsy little chains of half unintentional attacks. I sometimes forget the secondary function of the A button and hold it for long enough to make Jack interrupt a flurry of hits by grabbing the bruised bad guy he'd been beating on and toddle around with him for a few seconds before gently popping him back on his feet. Despite my relative ineptitude, the standard enemies present no challenge. That's not a complaint. If I had one, it would be that they die too fast. In contrast, the large enemies with the dual chainsaws have been giving me the most trouble of any opponents including the first two bosses, mainly because I don't understand the Wiimote command prompt to lock blades with them, or even how to get said prompt to show up onscreen in the first place. I only managed to activate it twice by accident.

My gaming time is fairly limited so I won't be able to immerse myself in MadWorld as fully as I'd like to. I'll think about posting updated impressions once I've played more and read some of the responses in this thread.

pakkit

Banned
Nice post, glad you're enjoying it. I still, ashamedly, have not finished MadWorld. The games are coming at too fast a pace this year. When I can settle down, I'd really like to dig into the game. My initial complaints were that the game leaves it to you to create the fun; the combat system just isn't very deep. However, I could see playing this game very beautifully, something I learned to do in Tenchu: Shadow Assassins on my second playthrough, and I quickly fell for that game. So, hopefully MadWorld's scoring system is just as rewarding and natural. Tenchu didn't tell you about MOST of it's secrets or uses for items, so when you learned, either by fluke or through experimentation, it added another shade into an already great game.

I definitely think this game would've sold more on HD consoles, but only because of the ability to post demos. This is a really hard game to grasp without wrapping your hands around the controllers, and a glance at the sales threads about MadWorld show that, despite the amazing aesthetics, people have plenty of doubts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get the feeling that in the coming months/years we will be seeing a lot of posts like Ninja99's. So many people don't realise just how great Madworld is. Videos of the raw gameplay do it no justice.

I picked up Madworld once it dropped to $30 and I loved it. Just finished it yesterday. Definitely the type of game you have a friend over to play and just swap the controller every time you die or finish a level, like the old days of gaming. Anyway, probably going to do that for my second play through. Just play it with a friend some night.

What I wouldn't give for a Madworld 2 with Co-Op and cooperative finishing moves and such...

Dascu

ToyMachine228 said:
I picked up Madworld once it dropped to $30 and I loved it. Just finished it yesterday. Definitely the type of game you have a friend over to play and just swap the controller every time you die or finish a level, like the old days of gaming. Anyway, probably going to do that for my second play through. Just play it with a friend some night.

What I wouldn't give for a Madworld 2 with Co-Op and cooperative finishing moves and such...
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

And yes, MadWorld 2 with Co-op and a level editor would be fantastic (provided they mix up the standard gameplay as well).

[Nintex]

It really reminds me of the good 'ol beat 'em ups like Double Dragon, except for the blood, chainsaws and all the other awesome stuff.

Top Bottom