• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

Holy dear god at that Blawan track.

Edit: Ughhhh it comes from a mix or a set or something. Just put out an album or a ep dammit.

All his songs on youtube are awesome, but they're all strung about. No type of collection for me to get. Singles collection or something!

okno

Holy dear god at that Blawan track.

Edit: Ughhhh it comes from a mix or a set or something. Just put out an album or a ep dammit.

I said god damn! Wasn't a huge fan of his last release, "What You Do With What You Have," but this is just fucking stellar!

Awesome post, joelseph. That Flight Facilities track is aces. I've been slightly obsessed with them lately. Thanks for posting that Bjork remix, too! Fucking awesome remix. It's hard to find good remixes of her, but that one is just stunning. Gonna have to spend some time with the rest of the stuff. What are some of the blogs you frequent, if you don't mind sharing? I'm having a hard time finding good ones.

cacophony said:
TNGHT (Hudson Mohawke x Lunice) - Bugg'n

oh mah gawd

Haha, this song is great. So wacky, I love it.

some random neurofunk/techstep tracks i've been listening to recently:

Gridlok & El Hornet - Hollywood (Blokhe4d Remix)
Gridlok - Wake Up! (Black Sun Empire Remix)
Flame & Encode - Sonde 2012
Ble3k - Jugulin

dnb is rapidly becoming my preferred genre. neurofunk is just toooooo sexy.

Yesssss! I've been getting back into dnb lately, too, fucking love it. Sure, it all kind of sounds the same, but nothing compares to the energy of a great dnb DJ. I'd love to learn how to DJ dnb proper.

Shaneus

Guys, somehow this just popped into my head. Enjoy the fruits of my attention-lacking, hyperactive brain:
Jurgens - Love It

I hadn't heard it for years (I remember putting into a mix though, must've been around when it came out) and all it reminds me of now (other than awesome nights out and at home knocking out mixes on a Denon DN-2500F) is Stephan Bodzin.

FWIW, that mix is 5 years old now... the second half is probably the favourite string of tracks I'm proudest of mixing (several come close) and there are some nice tracks in the first half as well (though you can clearly see the mood I was in when I got straight home from being out to.. well... when I got more into it). Enjoy!

I'll probably post up some other old ones if there's enough demand/curiosity.

lush

A few recent Boiler Room mixes:

Kuedo 60 Min Mix
Lone 40 Min Mix
Blawan 65 Min Mix

Pearson Sound and Kowton on Rinse.FM

Lapalux XLR8R Mix

01 Cepia “L2” (Ghostly International)
02 Lazer Sword “Better From U” (Monkeytown)
03 Jon Phonics “Up Higher”
04 Lapalux “102 Hours of Introductions” (Brainfeeder)
05 Dorine Muraille “Dorees” (FatCat)
06 Juj “Micro Twist” (HW&W)
07 Azizi Gibson & Jeremiah Jae “J & Z Draft” (Brainfeeder)
08 Airhead “Wait” (R&S)
09 Lapalux “Gone” (Brainfeeder)
10 Hazy Memories “Got You”
11 Jai Paul “Jasmin” (XL)
12 DJ Screw “Straighten It Out” (Bigtyme)
13 J Dilla “One Eleven” (Stones Throw)
14 Astrid Williamson “Dance (Lapalux Remix)” (One Little Indian)
15 Devonwho “Untitled”
16 Matthewdavid “Midnight Express” (Brainfeeder)
17 Aoki Takamasa and Tujiko Noriko “Fly 2” (FatCat)
18 Holy Other “Know Where” (Tri Angle)
19 Taquwami “Time After Time”
20 ShadowBox “C O (Alphabets Heaven Remix)”
21 Lapalux “Time Spike Jamz” (Pictures Music)

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2012/04/lapalux

New Gold Panda:

"Mountain" & "Financial District"

Simian Mobile Disco - Your Love Ain't Fair
Disclosure - What's In Your Head?
Pariah - Rift
RL Grime - Trap On Acid
Clientele - Bitches EP(Preview)
Medla - Anything
Bondax - You're So
Myrryrs - Fantom Doze
Walter Ego - My Oh!
DREΛMS - Bob Ya Head
Flosstradamus - Rollup
Girl Unit - Double Take
LiL TExAS - I Need U (Sango Edit)
Deebs - You (In My World)

Sorry for any reposts.

Made a mix from most of the mp3 dump up above along with some tracks from Azealia Banks, Rich Boy, and Marina & the Diamonds. Some really great tracks, poor mixing. Some decent to bad transitions. Still a blast to make these things: http://soundcloud.com/souvlakispacestation/dont-just-stare-at-it-eat-it

gdt

Checked out Blawan's Bohla EP, it's fucking awesome. I wish it was easier to get and put together his music. Piecing together separate is a huge pain in my butt.

So contemplating going to see Lapalux and oOoOO show in a few days time. I've heard the names, but I'm not too familiar with the music.

Worth it or not?

Kad5

Hey guys. I wanna see if I can make a mix but so far all I have is Virtual DJ. Is that sufficient for trying out a first mix?

Shaneus

Well, music and some kind of software are both equally important.

After my effort Saturday night, I think I'm going to pack up the laptop for a little bit and go back to good ol' CDs for a while. Easier to stay organised that way than with playlists coming out of my arse (not to mention worrying about buffers and controller settings and crashing and such).

Sad fact: When burning music to play Saturday night, I noticed when my last burnt CD in my wallet was. 2009. Played out with Serato a handful of times since then, but man that was a shock to realise.

okno

Has anyone checked out the new Brackles LP? It's phenomenal. I just got it yesterday and it's really a fantastic album.

Never Coming Down feat. Lily McKenzie
I Can't Wait

Also, the new Rush Hour release is holy shit good: William Kouam Djoko - We Are Your Brothers & Sisters

New D-Bridge is also definitely worth getting: d-bridge - Passing Encounter/Scarlett (boomkat link)

Found a really neat soundcloud/facebook page: #unknown They release a completely anonymous track (mostly bass music, some dnb) and then reveal the artist 14 days later. They offer up a majority of the songs for free download after the reveal, as well. Tons of really great stuff on there. #27 is fucking great.

edit: I almost bought a pair of CDJs the other day, hah. Decided against it, though, and am going to wait a little bit until I move into a new apartment to get some tables. There is just way, way, way too much amazing vinyl-exclusive music coming out these days.

edit2: I Love Bass Music also put up a free comp that's totally ace. And free.

Shaneus

dude cdjs > controllers. Always. Welcome back. =)

Ahaha, you're spot on! They never left, but it just never really feels right when you have a PC in front of you. Playing out (and somewhat being forced into playing with discs without timecodes ;) ) has reignited the fire. Pretty fucking happy about it, actually!

Edit: For portability stakes, you can't really lose out when buying CDJs. You're pretty much always guaranteed you can play out what you play at home, something you can't always be sure of with vinyl (or even digitally, for that matter). But you already know that, so I'm just stating the obvious, I guess ;)

andylsun

I've been on a bit of a Nicolas Jaar kick over the last couple of months. Was thinking about buying his earlier EP's on iTunes, but most of the tracks are available at Clown and Sunset. Picked up 7 tracks for free, and will come back and buy most of the rest. They are all lossless downloads which is a big bonus.

Encore is sublime.

http://www.csa.fm/clownandsunset/main.php

joelseph

I've been on a bit of a Nicolas Jaar kick over the last couple of months. Was thinking about buying his earlier EP's on iTunes, but most of the tracks are available at Clown and Sunset. Picked up 7 tracks for free, and will come back and buy most of the rest. They are all lossless downloads which is a big bonus.

Encore is sublime.

http://www.csa.fm/clownandsunset/main.php

I like his older work more than his newer stuff. Kid is almost too good. He has a great side project too, name escapes me at the moment but google should help.

lush

Fantastic Mr Fox - Speak Nuh
Pariah - Signal Loss
Slugabed - Mountains Come Out of the Sky (Lapalux Saturation Remix)

New mix from Ryan Hemsworth, Visions Mix: http://soundcloud.com/nowmagazine/ryan-hemsworths-visions-mix

New mix from SCB(Scuba's side project):

1. Skudge - Man On Wire (Marcel Dettmann Low Key Version)
2. Tommy Four Seven - Verge (Sigha Remix) (CLR)
3. Raiders of the Lost Arp - On And On (Patrice Scott Remix) (Petite)
4. Ben Klock - Goodly Sin (Robert Hood Remix) (Ostgut Ton)
5. Locked Groove - Digression (unreleased)
6. Reeko - Segmento 1 (Mental Disorder)
7. Patrice Scott - Eclipse Beats (Sistrum)
8. Wraetlic - Rats (SCB edit) (Convex Industries)
9. Dense and Pika - Bad Ink (unreleased)
10. Laurent Garnier - The Hoe (F Communications)
11. Voiski - Ad Infinitum (Construct Reform) + Segmento 1 Reprise
12. Secluded - Provike (Shifted Remix) (Sleaze)
13. Thomas Smith - Retina Scan (SCB edit) (Last Night On Earth)
14. The Dark Of The Psychic Unknown (Release The Beat!)
15. Plastik Man - Spastik (Dubfire remix) (M_Nus)
16. Recondite - DRGN (Hotflush)
17. Untold - Motion the Dance (Hemlock)
18. Function - Obsessed (SCB edit) (Echochord)
19. Final Exposure - Synergy 1 (Plus 8)
20. Scuba - NE1BUTU (SCB edit) (Hotflush)
21. Electric Rescue - I'm A Serial Killer (BNR)
22. Cybersonik - Tecnanarchy (Plus 8)
23. DJ Hell - Take A Shot (International Deejay Gigolo)
24. Hazed - Bells (Plus 8)

http://soundcloud.com/clr/clr-podcast-168-scb

Shaneus

Watch this.
Then listen to this
Finally, feel jealous, because in 24 hours or so I'm seeing him live :D

So fucking excited.

Oh, just posting in the foreign songs thread in OT and this track came to mind. Apologies for the shitty Myspace quality, for there are no YT clips of it. But buy the full remix of this song, you will not regret it. I play it regularly without fail:
2raumwohnung - Lasso (Good Groove & Yapacc remix)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oooh I've been looking for SCB stuff. Love Scuba, Adrenaline EP/Personality are genius works.

Just heard "Personality" in full, what an amazing album. References to progressive breaks, 90's British epic house, classic rave and garage all in one album. Retro yet forward thinking at the same time, I love it.

gdt

Just heard "Personality" in full, what an amazing album. References to progressive breaks, 90's British epic house, classic rave and garage all in one album. Retro yet forward thinking at the same time, I love it.

I love the melodies too. So catchy and warm.

djtiesto

Sad to hear about Donna Summer. "I Feel Love" is one of the most influential electronic music songs ever.

okno

RIP Donna...

Has anyone listened to the new Recondite album On Acid? It's a fucking stunner! It's an album that reimagines the use of the 303, and it's really, really beautiful.

okno

New Elite Gymnastics track: "Life/Trap" <3

Checked this out mainly because I recognized Lily from the track she did with Funkystepz a couple of years ago. There hasn't been a lot recently that really wows me (and this didn't especially do so either) but it was nice enough!

It's a song that works perfectly in the context of the album, it's a fantastic opener, but yeah I can see it being kind of "meh" otherwise.

New collab-album with Pantha du Prince and Stephan Abry, Ursprung. Seems interesting, but I'm not blown away by it. It has its moments, "Exodus Now" being a highlight of mine.

Eprom - Regis Chillbin/Machinedrum Remix Fun little single. The original is sparse and nothing fancy, and Machinedrum just takes it into a completely different direction. Highly recommended.

Illum Sphere Remixed The Ikonika remix is gorgeous, and the Om Unit remix is a storming dub techno beast. Get it.

Luke Abbott - Modern Driveway New Luke Abbott. Don't miss it.

Jon Convex - Lied to Be Loved "Zero" is a fun slab of detroit techno. The vocal has been eating at my brain for a while. Don't care much for the title track, but "Zero" and "Stay" are fun."Stay" sounds just like a new Instra:mental track, really nice.

TAPES - Dungeness Probably shouldn't like this as much as I do, but I think it's a fun release (let's see how much times I can use "fun" in a post.)

senking - Dazed Another winner from raster-noton, a dark cut of IDM with a killer vocal.

Juk Juk - Thinking Too Much/Where the Helios"Thinking Too Much" is absolutely brutal, and "Where the Helios" is the perfect way to come down from it. Recommended.

Auntie Flo - Future Rhythm Machine Perfect summer album. Like this one a lot.

Ad Bourke - Raw IvyEXTREMELY excited for this one. Even bought the green vinyl of it :3 This one is not to be missed.

V/A-Personal Space I've seen this mentioned at a couple of different places lately, and finally checked it out just now. Super weird, super obscure, super funky soul rarities. Worth looking into, you'll probably find something you'll like in it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Was just listening to that Senking last night. They get a lot of shit from the "scene," but Raster-Noton consistently puts out some of my favorite stuff.

okno

Definitely one of the most consistent labels out there. Always top notch material from them, I don't even remember the last time I genuinely didn't like a release from them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Only ones I can't get into are those occasional discs of, like, fax tones or line noise, heh. Even really deep drone is cool in my book, but these... these things never made any sense to me!

Has Maceo Plex done any mixes since his essential mix? also any nice Prog house mixes kicking around at the moment?
Ive got a dubstep night next week (Pinch and a few others in switzerland) and system (mala/Vivek) mid june and I need something light and uplifting to counter balance that haha

Until then ill make do with his essential mix.

Martian

I like electronic music, but I'm more into music like Daft Punk (don't know the genre) than House music. I also like Goldfish/The xx/Paul van Dyk.

Daft Punk - Face to Face/Short Circuit

Daft Punk - Make Love

Goldfish - Fort Knox

The xx - Crystalised

Professor Kliq - Plastic & Flashing Lights

Professor Kliq - Pangea

Professor Kliq - 505 Flamingo Drive

Professor Kliq - Suburban Breakbeat

Paul van Dyk - Rave Me

Paul van Dyk - We Are Alive

Can you guys recommend artists like these? I like almost everything from Daft Punk, if that helps at all.

daviyoung

Banned
That's quite diverse. Seems like you don't like the poppier side of Daft Punk.

I'd recommend anything from labels Bungalow, Skint, Southern Fried or Jalapeno, especially Le Hammond Inferno and Kraak and Smaak. You could also try Etienne de Crecy, Coldcut and Cut Chemist, they make a range of styles.

By the way, the Paul van Dyk track called 'Rave Me' is from a mix and it's like 3/4 songs in that youtube vid. You can download the mix here: http://z4.invisionfree.com/IntoTrance/ar/t34.htm it's all late 90s trance.

Thanking you. Soundclouds aswell!! Thats the afternoons music sorted! :)

Enjoy. The dub mix is outstanding!

Alucrid

Banned
I like electronic music, but I'm more into music like Daft Punk (don't know the genre) than House music. I also like Goldfish/The xx/Paul van Dyk.

Daft Punk - Face to Face/Short Circuit

Daft Punk - Make Love

Goldfish - Fort Knox

The xx - Crystalised

Professor Kliq - Plastic & Flashing Lights

Professor Kliq - Pangea

Professor Kliq - 505 Flamingo Drive

Professor Kliq - Suburban Breakbeat

Paul van Dyk - Rave Me

Paul van Dyk - We Are Alive

Can you guys recommend artists like these? I like almost everything from Daft Punk, if that helps at all.

Daft punk is house music

djtiesto

Anybody going to Electric Daisey Carnival NYC this weekend? I cant wait. Got VIP tickets.

Lucky bastard, I was thinking of going but decided to go for Electric Zoo this year instead. EDC was a bit too late with their announcement of acts, by that time the tickets were all sold out. I'd be going to see Digweed and Seth Troxler/Visionquest in particular.

okno

Just left Bunker... Watched Fred P. spin for 4 hours. Prosumer was supposed to get on the decks at 1, but Fred was absolutely SLAYING it that there was no way he could get off and allow Prosumer on. I have seen dozens of big name DJs, but Fred P knows how to work a crowd better than anyone out there. I am so fortunate to have to seen him tonight, but so fucking sad that I will never know a single song he played tonight.

edit: I'm sorry to geek out like this, but I have literally never seen a DJ like him tonight. It was effortless, so seemingly easy, it seemed like he never even cued up the tracks before dropping it in. At one point, I walked up to him to ask what song he was playing (it was this ridiculous track with the most insane clap I had ever heard) and he couldn't even tell me what it was. He just waved his hands at his decks and said, "I don't... it's just... you know, it's happening," and then shook my hand. <3 This is why I love fucking house music. And just when I thought I knew how to put together a peak time set, I learned I was extremely wrong.

Top Bottom