• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Trying to think of albums I got this year that I've listened to alot:

Captain murphy-duality
City of thieves- new game + and princes of the universe
The gas lamp killer- breakthrough
Grimes- visions
Groundislava- feel me
John talabot- fin
Lone- galaxy garden
Scuba-personality
Sweet valley-eternal champ
The weeknd- trilogy
Burial- street halo/kindred
Mala - Mala in Cuba

Then there's just stuff like the fabric CDs really.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Contribute this.

(a mate dropped that last Sunday night at an anniversary event for a club night... so fucking turbo)

No thanks, and why the spoiler crap?

This is why I gave up on this thread, new page and it's going on weird again. I'm off out to listen to some live music, I'll leave others to continue the more productive things started at the bottom of the last page.

Put on Personality early after all the chat about it. Good stuff!
Put me in the mood for prog house strangly..

Edit:bit of an randomly angry five minutes there. No idea why but his leaving thing grated on me haha.

thabiz

for me, theres just too many releases in the house/techno scene, and its moves so fast, that discussion becomes secondary. I always thought that this thread covers the standouts pretty good. everything else just flies by. which is fine by me. i prefer these trax in mix state. House/Techno is meant to be spun. The journey is better than the stops along the way.

Personally i just dont pay attention to all the EP's, because i dont really spin anymore. I get my fix in mixes. Albums just aren't really prevalent in this scene.

I feel like we've had this convo before.

thabiz

okno,

Is the mix swap dead then? cause all my gear got hooked up, and im itchin. Fuck it. I'm doin something this weekend regardless.

okno

okno,

Is the mix swap dead then? cause all my gear got hooked up, and im itchin. Fuck it. I'm doin something this weekend regardless.

Semi-dead. Dead in the official sense, but that doesn't mean those interested can't still do it. I'm down of y'all are down. We have enough interest in here for everyone to have a partner, it'd be small but hey why not?

thabiz

We gotta do it man. I was really looking forward, based on the fact that we all dig the same shit. Personality really comes out in a mix. Would love to hear what you guys can do with some transitions.

joelseph

I don't understand why it is a legal issue. Recording and gifting mixtapes is not illegal. Blackace does it all the time in gafhop. What is going on?

joelseph

If they won't reopen the thread we are doing it here or off the board on email or facebook or some shit. I don't give a fuck who tries to stop us.

thabiz

I don't understand why it is a legal issue. Recording and gifting mixtapes is not illegal. Blackace does it all the time in gafhop. What is going on?

THIS!

It feels like we are being singled out. I mean, uploading mixes is not illegal in any form. There are literally MILLIONS of mixes, that have been going since the 70's for fucks sake. Under no circumstance is this illegal. It is the foundation of House/Techno/DNB/etc.

thabiz

So after some digging around, here is the skinny.

There has been some recent changes in copyright law. Technically it is illegal to share mixes without the artists consent ONLY if you play the entire song. As long as we own the music, it is covered under the live performance law.

However, i think i found the legal problem. Compilations would have to be completely gone. That is not legal in any shape without artist and label consent.

I say we just take this offline, and not involve GAF in anyway to free them from any potential infringments. There is a huge grey area here. Blackace hosts his music. Thats the way to skirt the issue. He accepts all responsibility by hosting and GAF is not involved in anyway.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
my favorite full-lengths from this year:

Flume - Flume
Liar - Strange Love
Young Smoke - Space Zone
DFRNT - Fading
Groundislava - Feel Me
John Tejada - The Predicting Machine
Recondite - On Acid
Tomas Barfod - The Salton Sea
Vessel - Order of Noise
Actress - RIP
Holy Other - Held
Phon.o - Black Boulder
EPROM - Metahuman
Cooly G - Playin Me
Luke Hess - Keep On
Darling Farrah - Body
Nocow & Hmot - Lost in Taiga
XXYYXX- XXYYXX
LHF - Keepers of Light
Voices from the Lake - Voices from the Lake
Mr. G - State of Flux
Jimmy Edgar - Majenta
Le K - Freewheel
Auntie Flo - Future Rhythm Machine
Nina Kraviz - Nina Kraviz
Claro Intelecto - Reform Club
John Talabot - ƒin

Yeah there are a few tracks off Magenta I really dug (specifically "Too Shy")... Feel Me gets points for "Cool Party", lol. I am dying to drop that next time I am playing downtempo stuff, just to see my friends' reaction.

I think overall the reason I'm not too into albums (apart from mixcomps) is that I am a bit more into traditional/orthodox EDM, and in the album format this can quickly become very boring. EDM albums that take a more unique and unorthodox approach are definitely better as far as home listening goes but the tracks are harder to play out.

joelseph

There has been some recent changes in copyright law. Technically it is illegal to share mixes without the artists consent ONLY if you play the entire song. As long as we own the music, it is covered under the live performance law.

However, i think i found the legal problem. Compilations would have to be completely gone. That is not legal in any shape without artist and label consent.

I say we just take this offline, and not involve GAF in anyway to free them from any potential infringments. There is a huge grey area here. Blackace hosts his music. Thats the way to skirt the issue. He accepts all responsibility by hosting and GAF is not involved in anyway.

Meh. Such a weak angle for the mods to take a stand on. Do we want to make this a digital exchange only or take it offline?

okno

Yeah, I was just about to say that. It's just the compilation clause getting in the way. Sucks, but we have free reign to do it. So lez do it!

thabiz

Meh. Such a weak angle for the mods to take a stand on. Do we want to make this a digital exchange only or take it offline?

We cant use soundcloud as they have recently changed their TOS and they will take your mix down if the label or artist has an agreement with soundcloud. Deadmau5 seems to be a big problem and mixes are removed immediately if they contain his shit. Your killing yourself deadmau5. Fuck him. lol

Anyway. I say we just use dropbox/hosting site and email the link to the chosen person. We then accept all responsibility. Just set up a dummy email if you dont want anyone to know your main one. personally i dont care if someone has my email address.

We can still do album covers and all that.

thabiz

The reason nobody gets in trouble is that producers of this music dont care. The track is being used for its intended purpose. Unless youre a prick like Deadmau5.

They are getting their piece when you buy the track and are fully happy that you play it everywhere to promote their name.

Nyx

We cant use soundcloud as they have recently changed their TOS and they will take your mix down if the label or artist has an agreement with soundcloud. Deadmau5 seems to be a big problem and mixes are removed immediately if they contain his shit. Your killing yourself deadmau5. Fuck him. lol

Anyway. I say we just use dropbox/hosting site and email the link to the chosen person. We then accept all responsibility. Just set up a dummy email if you dont want anyone to know your main one. personally i dont care if someone has my email address.

We can still do album covers and all that.

What about mixcloud?

Oh and I definitely want to do the mix-swap, I already have a cart full of older minimal tracks at Beatport, and I want to use them damnit! ;)

thabiz

We could use mixcloud. I dont think they are doing what SoundCloud is. We could use anything.

Main thing is, we need to free EviLore from any potential issues. And doing this without posting it on GAF does this. I'm pretty sure we could discuss it here? any mods could chime in if they are reading this thread.

joelseph

I'm in conversation with a mod right now. If he verifies what I am asking it would appear we are ok to go ahead with digital trading. I think it would be best to keep it among ourselves in this thread and not create a new thread.

joelseph

We are cleared to run the exchange as long as we only trade digital links that are not hosted or affiliated with gaf.

Game on!

okno

Nice. Been getting into Move-D and Namlook recently.

Move D is boss, love that guy to pieces. Some of his releases are a little watery and boring, but his sets are delicious.

Should we set a deadline for the exchange? I can do the pairings tonight, and then y'all can get going. So stoked!

Top Bottom