• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

1. Scuba - Personality Scuba hits the big time for me (well, his previous release, the Adrenalin EP did that), essentially by changing his dubstep roots way up. Moving into techno/house styles, and generally pumping his music full of insane melodies and different ideas. Definintely my album of the year, and probably my favorite electronic album. I love everything on here. A few songs stand as best of the year for me, but foremost is probably DSY CHN, which evokes real emotion in me. The buildup, the drums, the vocal melodies, the breakdown....this song is a knockout. I dread the day he ever travels back to his grim dupstep roots. This music is so bouncy and emotional, cant get enough (his two recent singles, Talk Torque and Hardbody, are straight bangers too).

2. The XX - Coexist My favorite band at the moment. They definitely stripped their sound to its bones this album, to the extent that many say its samey and boring. I find the dichotomy just as strong as their first album. The album isn't as good as the debut, and they probably need to switch it up a bit to avoid stagnating, but I still love this album. A whole damn lot.

3. Beach House - Bloom Beach House perfect their craft here for me. Epic and haunting songs. Every song is a knockout.

4. Bicep - Visions of Love EP of the year. Stunning, very accessible, stupidly catchy house music.

5. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz I was terrified that they returned to their way out there earlier sound....but they didn't, not really. This album is plenty catchy and hits all those spots for me.

6. The Chromatics - Kill For Love Super long album that just flies by, hitting all sorts of modes and ambiance. Excellent "normal" songs, and great moody and atmospheric experimental ones. Paced like a mofo too.

7. Burial - Kindred Easily Burial's best work for me. Ashtray Wasp is an alltime classic song.

8. Blawan - His She She And She One song of the 4 is a bit weird, essentially percussion-less dance music. Still really really good though. The other 3 are straight fucked up techno bangers. Instant classics, all of them.

9. Jacques Greene - Ready JG returns to his earlier style (his previous 2012 ep, went pretty RnB sound heavy, to a great affect), but upgraded. Instantly engaging and surprising. JG at his absolute peak. This guy doesn't stop.

10. Purity Ring - Shrines So catchy and heavy, practically overflowing with awesome melodies. A really unique sound.

HM

ColeCo - El Verano EP
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Blawan - Long Distance Open Water Worker
Breach and Midland - 101/Somewhere
How To Dress Well - Total Loss (he was totally amazing live!)
TNGHT - TNGHT
Metric - Synthetica
Ryan Hemsworth - Last Words
Bobby Champs - Moonlight
Dum Dum Girls - End of Daze
Jacques Greene - Concealer
XXXY - Everything
XXXY - Bash

Guess I went a little nutty with the HMs.

Shaneus

Electronic albums are so fucking spotty. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an entire album from a single artist that wasn't done as a collab on every track.

bowery

Electronic albums are so fucking spotty. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an entire album from a single artist that wasn't done as a collab on every track.

talking about sooooooo many things in that one word, also solid list gdt...not that big of a fan of the new xx and ac lps even though i love both bands

injurai

Banned
I cannot agree more about Ashtray Wasp. I love long play songs like what he has been releasing these days.

I'm not sure I agree. Almost 90% of albums I listen to I love the entirety off.

If we are talking about the last album I thought had perfect album long composition? I have yet to see anything top Drink the Sea since it came out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Personality, Fin and Trails We Blaze are probably my favorite electronic music albums of the year...

gdt

Ehh, maybe sure. But its kinda rare to see them. Like, Detroit Swindle put out like 74 eps this year, a few within weeks of each other, they, length wise, could've put out and album or two really. So, whats the distinction? If I listening to two of those eps together, or had they just released them together as an LP, are they weaker? Nah not really.

Umm, not sure there is much of a point to that except that these people throw out eps left and right and never do LPs.

Bobby Champs has 3 eps this year
Ejeca
Citizen
ColeCo
Jacques Green put out 2
Burial is about to put out a second one

etc etc

Shaneus

Well, having said what I said... I admit I don't go out of my way to listen to entire albums by anyone. But that's largely because there aren't that many I listen to who DO put out albums.

Perhaps I fucked up, perhaps I've been too swept up in the hunt for good, individual tracks to use in sets that I've disregarded looking for long players that are designed to be listened to and experienced, not used as tools.

Hmm.

Having said that, there was brief talk during the intro to Jacques Lu Cont's Essential Mix that mentioned he might be working on a new full-lengther soon (under what guise, he didn't say) and given his output this year, it'd definitely be something I'd check out.

Edit: Okay, Lindstrom released an album this year. Might have to check that out.

HiResDes

Well, having said what I said... I admit I don't go out of my way to listen to entire albums by anyone. But that's largely because there aren't that many I listen to who DO put out albums.

Perhaps I fucked up, perhaps I've been too swept up in the hunt for good, individual tracks to use in sets that I've disregarded looking for long players that are designed to be listened to and experienced, not used as tools.

Hmm.

Having said that, there was brief talk during the intro to Jacques Lu Cont's Essential Mix that mentioned he might be working on a new full-lengther soon (under what guise, he didn't say) and given his output this year, it'd definitely be something I'd check out.
my favorite full-lengths from this year:

Flume - Flume
Liar - Strange Love
Young Smoke - Space Zone
DFRNT - Fading
Groundislava - Feel Me
John Tejada - The Predicting Machine
Recondite - On Acid
Tomas Barfod - The Salton Sea
Vessel - Order of Noise
Actress - RIP
Holy Other - Held
Phon.o - Black Boulder
EPROM - Metahuman
Cooly G - Playin Me
Luke Hess - Keep On
Darling Farrah - Body
Nocow & Hmot - Lost in Taiga
XXYYXX- XXYYXX
LHF - Keepers of Light
Voices from the Lake - Voices from the Lake
Mr. G - State of Flux
Jimmy Edgar - Majenta
Le K - Freewheel
Auntie Flo - Future Rhythm Machine
Nina Kraviz - Nina Kraviz
Claro Intelecto - Reform Club
John Talabot - ƒin

HiResDes

Le K's Freewheel is the most slept on album of the year. Also I think Order of Noise is the best TriAngle release of the year.

okno

This year wasn't very good for LPs, in my opinion. So many solid EPs, definitely, but the LPs, for me, were few and far between... Maybe, like Shaneus, I spent too much time on EPs/singles and didn't spend much time on LPs, but I just don't own anything really remarkable or recall anything that stands out. I did love Andy Stott's 'Luxury Problems' and Byetone's 'Symeta', but I wouldn't put them in the Top 10.

Although, Recondite's 'On Acid' and Claro Intelecto's new piece are absolute gems and deserve to be on many lists.

lush

Nice list Des. Some other standouts imo:

Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
Lone - Galaxy Garden
Jam City - Classical Curves
Jon Convex - Idoru
Daphni - Jiaolong
Mala - Mala In Cuba
Shed - The Killer
Loops Of Your Heart - And Never Ending Nights

I prefer the EP format for most of the stuff we see in this thread to be honest. There's just not enough activity to warrant moving this thread to Community. There's just not enough people in here.

HiResDes

While we have a decent amount of contributors now, this thread is pretty much all content and very little discussion and bickering, which sounds nice on the surface but not community like in comparison to the other music threads.

injurai

Banned
While we have a decent amount of contributors now, this thread is pretty much all content and very little discussion and bickering, which sounds nice on the surface but not community like in comparison to the other music threads.

I don't know. I just dropped by Pop-gaf to share an interview, and while I had a nice convo with Galang, everyone else was... well.. you know typical pop-gaf.

lush

That's pop-gafs thing though. You can pop in and comment/post something, usually two or three people will respond in relation to your post. The rest of the thread just keeps moving. Thread is endlessly entertaining.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I definitely feel like this thread is too mix focused.

Mix, individual tracks, who cares as long as it's good?

To be honest I've given up on it now, and will stick to seeing things live where you can get a better judge of the message behind it.

injurai

Banned
I definitely feel like this thread is too mix focused.

I feel the same way, but mixes come out much more often then LPs EPs and Singles. So I have to just excuse that. Plus some mixes or fan-remixes are killer.

In fact, this aspect of our little community here probably keeps things more fresh.

I should probably start searching this thread for albums/artist that you guys may not have posted yet. I mostly stick to current stuff, but I guess there are a lot of great classics to dig deeper into as well.

Gorillaz

I wonder why tho? I mean reading through this thread there is alot of great tracks and artist to talk about in general. It's just weird that there seems to be a lack of conversation even tho I recognize some posters here from other threads like Gaf-hop and pop-gaf.

injurai

Banned
I wonder why tho? I mean reading through this thread there is alot of great tracks and artist to talk about in general. It's just weird that there seems to be a lack of conversation even tho I recognize some posters here from other threads like Gaf-hop and pop-gaf.

Maybe it is the fact we are so mixed focused. I find it easier to talk about albums and and things straight from artists.

Mixes I'm just like, heh that was really great, then I go back to my music library.

okno

Don't know why. It's part of the reason I stopped posting as much. It's been an issue for a long, long, long, long time.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just talk about what you love, why you love it, what you want more of, what you want less of.

It's not hard, or it shouldn't be. And never tell anyone what they love is wrong, you don't know them. You should just seek to understand them.

Because they may know the best track you've never heard.

bowery

Just talk about what you love, why you love it, what you want more of, what you want less of.

It's not hard, or it shouldn't be. And never tell anyone what they love is wrong, you don't know them. You should just seek to understand them.

i love this post, i hate taste elitism

injurai

Banned

*cough* dnb-gaf please come out *cough*

I'll try to contribute some more new flavors in here, hopefully I won't stray too far out of the electronic realm.

It just seems the new stuff I've posted in here hasn't gotten much of a response so I kind of tailor what I end up sharing.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is great. I have never heard of this. It really brings me back to the older DnB jungle days. After liquid hit you heard less and less tracks being made like this. I'll need to dig up a track with some killer bee horns in it if I can.

Glad you like it!

Feel free to share more, and that goes for everyone else, about everything else ;)

Shaneus

This year wasn't very good for LPs, in my opinion. So many solid EPs, definitely, but the LPs, for me, were few and far between... Maybe, like Shaneus, I spent too much time on EPs/singles and didn't spend much time on LPs, but I just don't own anything really remarkable or recall anything that stands out. I did love Andy Stott's 'Luxury Problems' and Byetone's 'Symeta', but I wouldn't put them in the Top 10.

Although, Recondite's 'On Acid' and Claro Intelecto's new piece are absolute gems and deserve to be on many lists.
STOP BEING ME.

my favorite full-lengths from this year:

Flume - Flume
Liar - Strange Love
Young Smoke - Space Zone
DFRNT - Fading
Groundislava - Feel Me
John Tejada - The Predicting Machine
Recondite - On Acid
Tomas Barfod - The Salton Sea
Vessel - Order of Noise
Actress - RIP
Holy Other - Held
Phon.o - Black Boulder
EPROM - Metahuman
Cooly G - Playin Me
Luke Hess - Keep On
Darling Farrah - Body
Nocow & Hmot - Lost in Taiga
XXYYXX- XXYYXX
LHF - Keepers of Light
Voices from the Lake - Voices from the Lake
Mr. G - State of Flux
Jimmy Edgar - Majenta
Le K - Freewheel
Auntie Flo - Future Rhythm Machine
Nina Kraviz - Nina Kraviz
Claro Intelecto - Reform Club
John Talabot - ƒin
I do like me some Tejada. Specifically, saying his name out loud. But also his music.

Top Bottom