• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

thabiz

Well, im up early. The speakers are warmed up. And my neighbors are about to get pissed off.

Davidion said the word of the day FUNK! And i fully agree. Minimal killed techno. Minimal killed the FUNK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PlIjtTBBtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGJA7XVEqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FKIKkjbh_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuLNDNKAOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcrjKN0jNVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9qNHYpqok Nobody does this shit anymore. tell me your not doing the funky chicken RIGHT NOW!

Wheres my phat pants? 30" cuffs flying.

thabiz

Naples was killing it at the time. Crazy that all these guys came from the same town.

I saw these two go b2b in 99, and it was one the most funky nights of techno i've ever had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovszomDKVM I would pitch that down. get a slower funk going. Bangin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8h7PxhJyHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLc8d5D-63s

That sound is lost forever. Very few producers still doing this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
DJ'ing again tonight @ The Old Fire Station / Bournemouth, UK. They always play the very best music at We Are Your Friends.

So I won't be around in the thread, but have a fucking good time wherever you are tonight. Much love :)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Hey everyone. I know I just pop in here to dump my latest work on you guys and leave (and no one responds, I get that) but I could really use your opinions. I'm still new to electro and with almost every song you guys post, I feel I can personally live up to that with my own style, but i'm not getting the feedback I hoped for. I sometimes sit around wondering why that is. I'm still jobless in Saudi Arabia trying to "make it" in a country that doesn't even recognize my right to this passion for music making. I could really use your help, guys. What do I need to work on? What needs to be improved? ANYTHING will help. I'm gonna be taking my work on the road soon so your input is extremely valuable. Thanks.

Here's my latest single: Digital Salvation

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cool will check it out when I get back tomorrow morning haha

To everyone I recommend this playlist to get you in the mood:

OfMxz.png

Be happy :)

Shaneus

I honestly, absolutely love it... if it's done well. It can get tired and repetitive if the producers get lazy but in general I'm a fan.

Funny someone with an avatar like yours making such a post ;) (and I've actually been on a bit of a Kavinsky kick over the last week, too, strangely enough)

gdt

Hey everyone. I know I just pop in here to dump my latest work on you guys and leave (and no one responds, I get that) but I could really use your opinions. I'm still new to electro and with almost every song you guys post, I feel I can personally live up to that with my own style, but i'm not getting the feedback I hoped for. I sometimes sit around wondering why that is. I'm still jobless in Saudi Arabia trying to "make it" in a country that doesn't even recognize my right to this passion for music making. I could really use your help, guys. What do I need to work on? What needs to be improved? ANYTHING will help. I'm gonna be taking my work on the road soon so your input is extremely valuable. Thanks.

Hey this is really cool.

I honestly, absolutely love it... if it's done well. It can get tired and repetitive if the producers get lazy but in general I'm a fan.

Funny someone with an avatar like yours making such a post ;)

Ironically Kavinsky is not even my favorite artist from that genre, but I do like him a lot.

Not a fan of spoonerised ironic artist names, but damn if those tracks don't kick like a mule.

Yeah, Com Truise sounds like a placeholder name he came up with in a drunken haze but can't change now because he got recognition faster than expected.

Shaneus

If I may:
Kavinsky - Testarossa Autodrive (SebastiAn remix)
Justice - Phantom Pt. 2 (Soulwax remix) (that build up and drop... holy christ, still yet to be topped IMO)
The Presets - This Boys in Love (KIM remix) (Lifelike remix)
SebastiAn - Momy
Farley Jackmaster Funk feat. Darryl Pandy (RIP) - Love Can't Turn Around (Lifelike remix)
Bag Raiders - Fun Punch
Bag Raiders - Shooting Stars
MSTRKRFT - Work on You
I think I've taken a fairly hefty liberty with the the "retro" tag in terms of how it's used, but they still kinda fit I think :)

(apologies for not responding, I honestly hadn't seen you'd posted until I saw okno's reply)

As someone who's not a massive fan of anything dubsteppy, I think you've actually done a really good job with it. Production and structure is quite unique but still really nice and easy to get into. Unique (as I used it) is a good thing and not a bad one. Good usage of chiptune-style synths that gives it a good retro hook as well. And only two days? I wish I knew how to use computer synths and Ableton :(

I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice or constructive criticism as such, but if it helps, there's honestly nothing to me that jumps out as being a huge misstep and overall I quite like it!

Shaneus

Great producer, fucking clueless DJ. Played about three minutes of that track I posted, mixed OUT of the buildup about 8 beats before it dropped. And his mixing, even though he was using Ableton or some other sequencer, was atrocious... just no clue of how to mix between tracks (dropping/adjusting frequencies etc.).

Terry Ferminal is biggest offender imo
Tiger & Woods

gdt

Digging into Bicep's Beats in Space unreleased music mix.

A) This is awesome

B) Its a great idea to put out your unreleased music out like this.

gdt

Little blurb in a Blawan interview

What are you planning on concentrating on in 2013?
More singles, EP's and remixes, Some bigger projects at the end of the year and some more collabs. I cant wait to get Sheworks005 out, it's me collaborating with someone who i respect dearly. Hopefully its gonna blow peoples heads off too!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Wow thanks for the responses guys.

Hey this is really cool.

This style definitely works in your favour. Stick with the experimentation. Really good tune, especially the intro.
Appreciate it! I'll likely be doing more and more of these as I get closer to playing live.

(apologies for not responding, I honestly hadn't seen you'd posted until I saw okno's reply)

As someone who's not a massive fan of anything dubsteppy, I think you've actually done a really good job with it. Production and structure is quite unique but still really nice and easy to get into. Unique (as I used it) is a good thing and not a bad one. Good usage of chiptune-style synths that gives it a good retro hook as well. And only two days? I wish I knew how to use computer synths and Ableton :(
Thanks for the detailed impressions. Tried my best to keep a steady flow without overburdening the atmosphere with unnecessary wubs and drops.

I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice or constructive criticism as such, but if it helps, there's honestly nothing to me that jumps out as being a huge misstep and overall I quite like it!
What really gets to me sometimes is there's no real, direct way to determine whether or not there's a market for your music and what style works best for you. I considered the 'throw shit at the wall until something sticks' method but I don't want to end up possibly gaining recognition for writing something I don't love or have no emotional investment in. I'm gonna keep at it until I can leave this country and hopefully something clicks with people and I get to live my dream. :) Fingers crossed!

Thanks again guys.

thabiz

Very strange statement. Never heard of Robert Hood?

Detroit minimal is completely different from the new stuff and is still techno. Richie took it too far, and everything just got minimal. Wasnt tech, wasnt house. Just boring.

Making beats on a computer also had something to do with it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Detroit minimal is completely different from the new stuff. Richie took it too far, and everything just got minimal. Wasnt tech, wasnt house. Just boring.

Making beats on a computer also had something to do with it.

Making beats on a computer lets you create unlimited sounds, as the technology improves so does the potential.

Just because you have the fastest car in the world doesn't mean you won't slam it straight into a wall though, the faster you go the more control you need to have.

Top Bottom