• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Ill Saint

Detroit minimal is completely different from the new stuff.

It's not. The approach is the same, the idea is the same, the execution is in the same style. The timing and marketing is all that's different, and labels like Kompakt, Perlon and M-nus were smart and in some ways fortunate to push it at the right time and give it renewed presence. Same deal as what happened with electroclash.

Yeah, Detroit has its own flavour, but minimal never went away and there was still plenty of good, funky minimal techno being made throughout the last two decades, regardless of fashion and trends. And it certainly didn't kill techno.

thabiz

It's not. The approach is the same, the idea is the same, the execution is in the same style. The timing and marketing is all that's different, and labels like Kompakt, Perlon and M-nus were smart and in some ways fortunate to push it at the right time and give it renewed presence. Same deal as what happened with electroclash.

Yeah, Detroit has its own flavour, but minimal never went away and there was still plenty of good, funky minimal techno being made throughout the last two decades, regardless of fashion and trends. And it certainly didn't kill techno.

I never said it went away. Also my post history shows that i still fuck with it. Its just becoming rare. Most of the DJ's that do that sound are still spinning the classics. Its how they are retaining the sound. I'm bumping a Robert Hood set right now and more than half the tracks are old.

I do feel techno lost a lot of what made it techno after the minimal movement.

thabiz

01 Floorplan - Wall To Wall 
02 Lee J Malcolm - Onestar / Applicant (James Ruskin Remix) 
03 Ben Sims - Reject 2 
04 Floorplan - We Magnify His Name 
05 Gary Martin - Subterranean Substance (Deetron Remix) 
06 Nic Fanciulli - Materia (Robert Hood Remix) 
07 ID - ID [Scooz - ID] 
08 James Ruskin - Work (Steve Rachmad Remix)
09 Sebastian Kramer - Inside The Core 
10 Joey Beltram - Energy Flash 
11 Mark Broom & James Ruskin - No Time Too Soon 
12 Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Rework)
13 Agent Wood - Uk Gold 
14 Robert Hood - Minimal, Minimal 
15 Robert Hood - Range 
16 ID - ID [Robert Hood - ID Unreleased] 
17 Oliver Ho - Silver (Damon Wild Remix) 
18 DJ Pierre & Green Velvet vs. Phuture - Acid Trax 2011 
19 Robert Hood - The Family 
20 Italo Boyz - Zinga 
21 Ben Sims - Hardgroove Promo 
22 ID - ID [Floorplan - ID Unreleased] 
23 Ben Sims - Dollar Bil Yall (Version) 
24 Sebastian Kramer - Tomorrow 
25 Robert Hood - Clash 
26 Kevin Saunderson - Inside Out 
27 Armando - 100% Of Disin' You 
28 ID - ID [Robert Hood - ID Unreleased]

I dont know every track out there, but i can count 10-12 tracks made after 2003.

Same with Jeff Mills. All classic tracks. Ben Sims and that UK crew are really the only ones still doing that sound. Or its a old school DJ/Producer.

Marco Carola broke my heart when he jumped on that bandwagon.

Ill Saint

I do feel techno lost a lot of what made it techno after the minimal movement.

Then I think you're placing too much importance on it, or were simply paying too much attention to it. My point is that since minimal techno has been around since at least '92, a short-lived mainstream fad 'revival' of a niche sub-genre did not drastically alter the larger underground techno landscape, a majority of which did not actively embrace the minimal sound.

thabiz

Did like 8 hours of record checking. I'm probably going to have to do a 2-3 hour mix. lol.

I might just do a "whatever i pick up next" mix, but at least i'm gettting shit organized.

injurai

Banned
IMO the soul is gone.

I also dont fuck with Ableton Live or anyone that "DJ" software. Its cool tech, but....
This is so false.
The soul comes from whoever is making the music, not the tools.

Whatever they are.

This is so true.

Its all in the artist being able to shine through whatever his instruments are.

Burial works entirely in Soundforge and creates the most amazing music ever.

BeeDog

The whole Shed stuff is fantastic.

Check out his EQD releases too,

Substance - Relish (Shed Remix) Heavy Chords, crazy buildups

EQD #005 (B1)

great hypnotic track with cheesy breakdown

Wax 30003 B

House in the fashion of Maurizio

Its all the same guy, René Pawlowitz, genius guy for sure

The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl (Soulwax Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ls6lNCXLeI

Thanks! Good shit, all of them, though I wouldn't really group the Soulwax remix together with the rest.

accx

Disco explosion!

Discosocks - Motivation

Absolutely love it.
If you missed my earlier post, check out this label. Most of the artists you linked have released stuff on it.
http://soundcloud.com/aphasia-records

Wait, maybe it wasn't Aphasia Records.
I was probably thinking of Future City Records
http://futurecityrecords.com
Err nope. I can't recall the label
Here's another label to check out though
http://rossocorsarecords.com/

Shaneus

The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl (Soulwax Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ls6lNCXLeI
Get this: The first time I heard that remix was for the leaked trailer of Forza Horizon.

Soulwax are still the masters of remixing a track by tweaking it just as much as it is needed and no more. So shit tracks get overhauled, good tracks are hardly touched.

This is now a Soulwax post:
The Klaxon's - Gravity's Rainbow (Soulwax dub)
The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Soulwax remix) (when I first heard this as a result of a friend seeing the movie "21"... hoooooly fucking fuck. Genius from top to bottom)
Justice - Phantom pt. 2 (Soulwax remix)
Gorillaz - Dare (Soulwax remix) (I always get lost in this track... goes well in a mix, too :) )
MGMT - Kids (Soulwax remix) (still get goosebumps hearing this, such a rapidfire, uplifting track)

And their original stuff ain't so bad, either:
Much Against Everyone's Advice
Any Minute Now
NY Excuse
E-Talking (very well done video)

About the only producer I can think of that was a deft touch with their remixes (in only the best cases) is Jacques Lu Cont.

One more thing that I just stumbled upon: Looks like Boys Noize has a new EP coming out, and the remix roster is full of names I've not seen for quite a while:

1. Boys Noize - 'Ich R U' (Jacques Lu Cont Remix)
2. Boys Noize - 'What You Want' (Chromeo Remix)
3. Boys Noize - 'What You Want' (Jimmy Edgar Remix)
4. Boys Noize - 'Ich R U' (D.I.M. Remix)
5. Boys Noize - 'Ich R U' (Van She Remix)
http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/jacques-lu-cont-remixes-boys-noize

Nyx

DJ/performer/producer: Rhadoo, not only making awesome mixes, but great dark productions as well. Best of the Arpiar label if you ask me.
Live performance (DJ sets included): Ida Engberg @ Awakenings Festival 2012 Not been at much parties this year (getting old...), so not much choice. Ida's set was great in the sunshine.
Newly discovered act/performer/producer: Don't recall anyone new this year.
Festival: Awakenings Festival, again as I haven't been to much parties this year.
Song: Too many to choose from
Album by a single artist: -
Compilation/mix album: -
Genre: Techhouse

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
New Boys Noize stuff is great, was given that a while ago by one of my DJ's who is now signed to AutoKratz' label who are also great.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Then I think you're placing too much importance on it, or were simply paying too much attention to it. My point is that since minimal techno has been around since at least '92, a short-lived mainstream fad 'revival' of a niche sub-genre did not drastically alter the larger underground techno landscape, a majority of which did not actively embrace the minimal sound.

I think the minimal boom had some pretty big influence (at least for a few years) on non-techno genres though - progressive and house especially, some dubstep, hell even trance :p

Not a fan of spoonerised ironic artist names, but damn if those tracks don't kick like a mule.

I had to look up what spoonerised is (a UK thing?) but yeah seems like there are a lot of dance artists who do that:
Jichael Mackson
Com Truise
and my favorite, Mord Fustang

gdt

This is why you follow labels, not artists. They all do this so they can release different stuff on different labels. Allows them to mix up their sound.

He has his own label!

And that sound really isn't that different from current Scuba/SCB.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is why you follow labels, not artists. They all do this so they can release different stuff on different labels. Allows them to mix up their sound.

I remember reading an Eric Prydz interview where he said that he still has aliases that no one has connected back to him.

thabiz

He has his own label!

And that sound really isn't that different from current Scuba/SCB.

It gives them creative freedom to do other things without being attached to their main name. This have been going on since the beginning.

And when Scuba started, SCB sounded vastly different. It was his techno alias. Its only recently that he started incorporating techno as Scuba.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I remember reading an Eric Prydz interview where he said that he still has aliases that no one has connected back to him.

Well Eric shouldn't get so cocky ;)

If you are not proud of every song or track you make, why use a different name? Reeks of insecurity personally, or someone else pulling the strings.

gdt

It gives them creative freedom to do other things without being attached to their main name. This have been going on since the beginning.

And when Scuba started, SCB sounded vastly different. It was his techno alias. Its only recently that he started incorporating techno as Scuba.

I still don't get really get it. Its the same dude, who cares if its a different sound. Other musicians can put out albums or songs that sound different from the norm.

thabiz

Well Eric shouldn't get so cocky ;)

If you are not proud of every song or track you make, why use a different name? Reeks of insecurity personally, or someone else pulling the strings.

Take the Advent for example. "The Advent" is punishing techno. "G Flame" is house/tech house. Now if im pulling vinyl during a set, i know that its the same guy, but more importantly i know what the sound will be. If he just released everything under The Advent, then DJ's wouldnt be very happy.

gdt

Take the Advent for example. "The Advent" is punishing techno. "G Flame" is house/tech house. Now if im pulling vinyl during a set, i know that its the same guy, but more importantly i know what the sound will be. If he just released everything under The Advent, then DJ's wouldnt be very happy.

I get it from that point of view..I guess.

But I don't really care what DJs wants, tbh.

okno

How am I just hearing this for the first time?

Jan Turkenburg- In My Spaceship (Pilooski Remix)

gdt said:
I get it from that point of view..I guess.

But I don't really care what DJs wants, tbh.

That's a shitty way to look at it. These guys make music for DJs. If Matthew Dear were to have released his (fucking amazing) album 2007 under his own name and not under FALSE it would have been shit canned by all of his fans. By distancing certain genres to certain names, you are allowed a freedom to do very specific things in very specific places. That way, even Paul Rose can release shit on other labels beyond his own.

thabiz

I still don't get really get it. Its the same dude, who cares if its a different sound. Other musicians can put out albums or songs that sound different from the norm.

Its part of the DJ culture. Now obliviously, its different now with MP3's and laptops. Where you can sort everything. When you have a crate of hundreds of records, the style and groove is more important than who is producing it. Labels first, names second.

When i pull a Advent record i know what the sound will be. If i pulled it and its house instead of techno, well there goes my set.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Labels is one thing, that's like the name of the house you are invited to where the party is happening.

Artists going under different names though? That's either insecurity, being forced to by record companies, or because it's trying something very different that doesn't want to be associated or judged by the past. Gorillaz is an example of the latter, most though are one of the first two. There's a few people behind the scenes with their fingers in many pies, but they also eat them.

Nyx

Everytime I see someone mention Justice, the unplugged midi-controller during a liveshow comes to mind lol.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A lot of Cross was outright stolen as well.

Phantom especially. As an album it was too mismatched to be anything other than multiple producers trying to create an alternative Daft Punk, there was no consistency. It was fake.

As alternative Daft Punk's go, Machines Don't Care were a lot better. And they never hid who they were. The kick-started Fidget along with Fake Blood and Hervé.

thabiz

Angel Alanis - SUBterror Radio Mix - Sept
Matter Of Time (Feat Green Velvet) Original Mix - The Japanese Popstars
Black Acid - Black Asteroid
The Lick - Paul Ritch
Zoom 42.0 (Yeah Jack) - Mr. Jones
The Intensity Of It All - Submerge
Permanence - Adam Jay
Identity (Gary Beck's Footprint Remix) - Joseph Mcgeechan
Acid Signal - Attemporal & Ness
Air (Raiz Remix) - Advanced Human
Just Want Normal (Mark Broom Remix) - Mr O_I
Distane - Psyk
Power Press - Will Azada
Id - Dj Hyperactive
Chromaphyl (Dj Shiva Edit) - Perc/Basic Channel
It Dub - Mr. G
Me, Myself & I (Heron's Rz 303 Remix) - Go!Diva

Cari Lekebusch - Sept Promo Mix SERIOUS BUSINESS!
01. Tony Rohr - Eden Acid (The Advent & Industrialyzer remix)
02. The Advent, Industrialyzer - NZT
03. Cari Lekebusch - Unite (Joseph Capriati remix)
04. The Advent, Industrialyzer - SCH EXP
05. Alberto Pascal - Amok
06. The Advent feat Paris Da Black Fu - Electric Pandemic
07. Bimm Bamm (Tony Rohr remix)
08. Markantonio, Roberto Capuano - T4
09. Industrialyzer - Circuit Overload
10. Industrialyzer - Clone Factor
11. Cari Lekebusch, Benjamin Mull - Triolic
12. Cari Lekebusch, Tony Rohr - The Shuffle Cycle
13. The Advent, Industrialyzer - Complex Data
14. Motor - MMM (Planetary Assault Systems remix)
15. The Advent - Present Voyage

Speedy J - Live @ Berghain Nov

Perc - Dystopia Podcast 004
01. Genesis P-Orridge & Stan Bingo – What's History Pt.2 [Dais Records]
02. Mick Finesse – Mettle Debris (Tengui Mettle Steel Mix) [Broken20]
03. Silent Servant – A Path Eternal [Hospital Productions]
04. Mick Finesse – The Ebb Of Crime (Cassegrain Remix) [Broken20]
05. Secluded – Binded (Sigha Remix) [Enemy]
06. Liss C – LR6 (Attemporal Remix) [LCR Records]
07. Darqwan – Said The Spider (Surgeon Remix) [Texture Ltd.]
08. Damien Schneider – Female (Tadeo Remix) [Micropunto Schallplannen]
09. The Exaltics – Ten Days [Cultivated Electronics]
10. Ghosts On Tape – No Go [Icee Hot]
11. Cleric – Unknown Depths V2 [Sonntag Morgen]
12. Paul Mac – Undoubted [EPM]
13. Alex Cortex – R-Byte [Killekill]
14. Paul Mac – Acid Jam [Balkan Vinyl]
15. Delta Funktionen – Work [Field Records]
16. Planetary Assault Systems – Funtion 4 (Marcel Dettmann Remix) [Mote Evolver]
17. Phuture Pfantasy Club – Spank Spank [Low Fat Vinyl]
18. Joey Beltram – Voyager [Vex/Trax]
19. Motor – The Knife (Peter Van Hoesen Remix) [CLR]
20. Regis – Death Head Said [Downwards]
21. ER & TR – UC [Brothers]
22. Pinion – Grid [Perc Trax]
23. Mick Finesse – Meltdown [Perc Trax]

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Eric Prydz - Epic Radio 006

Tracklist

01. Pryda – ID
02. Pryda – Seadweller
03. Pryda – Pete Tong ID
04. Pryda – Spooks
05. Pryda – From Within
06. Pryda – Annexet ID
07. Scuba – Hardbody
08. Depeche Mode – Never Let Me Down Again (Eric Prydz Remix)
09. Faithless – Not Going Home (Eric’s Insomnia Bootleg)
10. M83 – Midnight City (Eric Prydz Very Private Remix)
11. Jeremy Olander – Let Me Feel
12. Human League – Seconds

Now that Prydz has officially moved to LA I expect to see him at a lot more festivals around the country. I am excite.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Le Knight Club was the best shit they ever did. Daft Punk i mean.

Oh I'd forgotten about that, that's VERY obscure.

It's on my computer somewhere, but got to finally transfer everything over from the G4 Cube. It's finally had its day haha

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh I'd forgotten about that, that's VERY obscure.

It's on my computer somewhere, but got to finally transfer everything over from the G4 Cube. It's finally had its day haha

I wish I could find Le Knight Club's "Holiday On Ice" for sale in digital :(

Top Bottom