• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

thabiz

You weren't in that DJ playlist website thingy earlier today. We played stacks of stuff that wasn't house. In fact, I don't think I played a single house track!

Certainly didn't play anything that resembled my 4-year-old nephew getting his hands on a sequencer and some VSTs ;)

I dont think you did. You did play something that i should have written down, because i cant remember the artist. That Time track. I need that.

injurai was droppin the killer dnb. Old school to the new school.

We certainly will have to do that again.

I do think i'm taking things to the DUB side for the mix now. I forgot how amazing those tracks were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV2OXldFiA
The sickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHPDuGtFTo

This post on youtube completely sums it up.
"I put this record on when i want to show who's in charge when it comes to music in my apartment complex. "

Thats it. Thank you sir.

To the Beatports post-haste!

tumblr_lt103p1hy81qlhprco1_500.gif

I banged on about that song for so long haha Heard Sasha play it and also Axel Bowman and each time its just great.

injurai

Banned
I dont think you did. You did play something that i should have written down, because i cant remember the artist. That Time track. I need that.

injurai was droppin the killer dnb. Old school to the new school.

We certainly will have to do that again.

I do think i'm taking things to the DUB side for the mix now. I forgot how amazing those tracks were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV2OXldFiA
The sickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHPDuGtFTo

This post on youtube completely sums it up.
"I put this record on when i want to show who's in charge when it comes to music in my apartment complex. "

The channel is still up, (maybe if only because that random person is still sitting in it) but you can look through the track history.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes!!!

I have some electroswing in my mix. ;)

Awesome! You have any suggestions for me? Electroswing is like my new favorite thing since it combines two of my favorite hobbies - ballroom dancing and electronic music. However I only recently discovered it so I haven't really ventured beyond Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar. Here is some of the stuff I like for reference:

Caravan Palace - Jolie Coquine

Caravan Palace - Suzy

Parov Stelar - Booty Swing

Parov Stelar - Chambermaid Swing

injurai

Banned
Awesome! You have any suggestions for me? Electroswing is like my new favorite thing since it combines two of my favorite hobbies - ballroom dancing and electronic music. However I only recently discovered it so I haven't really ventured beyond Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar. Here is some of the stuff I like for reference:

Caravan Palace - Suzy

One of those is on my mix... SPOILERS!!!!!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Caravan Palace - Suzy

Did you go to see Parov Stelar in NYC last nite? A HS friend of mine went to the show and had an extra ticket, alas I had work today...

Shaneus

I think I'm going to call it: Inspector Norse is the Discopolis of 2012. It's a breath of fresh house in a year that's been very squelch and bleep-oriented.

Also, it's been a massive track.

Although it did suck to hear the crowd "singing" along to it when Terje played it live last week. Fucking hipsters :(

okno

I'm high off the Maya Jane

Im having a hard time understanding why everyone is shitting themselves over her EP. It's pretty standard deep house, nothing new, nothing fancy. I find it to be quite dull, it's not as interesting as her earlier stuff.

thabiz

Im having a hard time understanding why everyone is shitting themselves over her EP. It's pretty standard deep house, nothing new, nothing fancy. I find it to be quite dull, it's not as interesting as her earlier stuff.

BINGO! its 5-6 years late. That sound is done to death.

Shaneus

BINGO! its 5-6 years late. That sound is done to death.
Is it because she's female?

Seriously. Because that's the only semi-plausible reason I can think of.

Having said that, I haven't actually listened to any of the stuff off this new EP. Anyone have a YT link so I can have a quick listen at work?

HiResDes

Is it because she's female?

Seriously. Because that's the only semi-plausible reason I can think of.

Having said that, I haven't actually listened to any of the stuff off this new EP
. Anyone have a YT link so I can have a quick listen at work?

Then why would you speak on it? This and the hipster comment really are rubbing me the wrong way. Terje's stuff is fun, but it has no replay value. There's been plenty of good house this year. If you don't like it fine, but using the it's been done reasoning is very idiotic. As if everything hasn't been done already.

thabiz

using the it's been done reasoning is very idiotic.

If i've heard that sound a million times for years, then its a perfectly valid complaint for me. I'm tired of it. Her new EP holds no creative progression in my eyes. She's just mining a sound thats been done. In fact shes taken a step back from her earlier work IMO.

If you dig it, thats cool, but dont say my complaint is any less valid than your praise.

Shaneus

Then why would you speak on it? This and the hipster comment really are rubbing me the wrong way. Terje's stuff is fun, but it has no replay value. There's been plenty of good house this year. If you don't like it fine, but using the it's been done reasoning is very idiotic. As if everything hasn't been done already.
The comment I made was because another poster mentioned the sound is 5-6 years old and the only reason I can think of that others might be praising it is because it's coming from a female act in a male-dominated industry.

And the hipster comment was based on fact. 80% of the crowd at his gig were there only to be seen, as evidenced by the fact that almost half the crowd had disappeared an hour into his set, with half of who was left only sticking until around after he played Inspector Norse. Vast majority of the guys there had manicured beards, thick-rimmed hipster glasses and faux-retro t-shirts with skinny jeans (I shit you not).

HiResDes

When you're operating within the confines of a rather strict and storied genre, it is much harder to try and reinvent the wheel in comparison to an artist like Actress who combines nearly every electronic genre into one and has no problems mixing and mashing. I love Actress and I believe he's one of the most brilliant active electronic artists in the world. However, I wouldn't judge Maya for not being Actress. If we compare electronic music to poetry, then Maya is clearly writing in iambic pentameter while an artist like Actress is basically doing free verse. It's much easier to standout when doing something completely left field than it is to while producing in meter. I'd never heard of Maya before, but it seems she's been able to standout and I think it's wrong to assume that that's solely due to her gender.

thabiz

When you're operating within the confines of a rather strict and storied genre, it is much harder to try and reinvent the wheel in comparison to an artist like Actress who combines nearly every electronic genre into one and has no problems mixing and mashing. I love Actress and I believe he's one of the most brilliant active electronic artists in the world. However, I wouldn't judge Maya for not being Actress. If we compare electronic music to poetry, then Maya is clearly writing in iambic pentameter while an artist like Actress is basically doing free verse. It's much easier to standout when doing something completely left field than it is to while producing in meter. I'd never heard of Maya before, but it seems she's been able to standout and I think it's wrong to assume that that's solely due to her gender.

We are not comparing her to a glitch/experimental artist. We are comparing her to her peers and the confines of her genre. I'm not asking her to go outside her comfort zone. I'm asking for a slight progression that would rise her above the other thousands of micro/minimal house artists. My criticism is based on a DJ perspective. It's a generic EP in a sea of generic EP's.

Shaneus

I'm only making that assumption on behalf of those praising her music because there's nothing else I can think of that thabiz or okno wouldn't take into account that the music press generally does. That's all. I trust those dudes with making a judgement on music, however the media tends to get caught up with "zomg sexy woman DJs and produces wtf" which is the point I was trying to make.

Shaneus

Not today, work is busy as shit, unfortunately :( Probably over this weekend (ie. this time tomorrow) though.

I've actually just downloaded a FACT mix from Tensnake, so that's gonna be my background music for the rest of the arvo, I think :)

thabiz

Not today, work is busy as shit, unfortunately :( Probably over this weekend (ie. this time tomorrow) though.

I've actually just downloaded a FACT mix from Tensnake, so that's gonna be my background music for the rest of the arvo, I think :)

Holding Back was a jam. That had some groove.

Top Bottom