• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

But she isn't hot imo.

Nina Kraviz on the other hand...

ninakraviz.jpg

Nina-Kraviz-BBC-Radio1-Essential-Mix-2012-400x335.jpg

And a better DJ as well.
I haven't seen Nina Kraviz DJ, but I'm pretty sure I almost fainted when I heard I'm Gonna Get You (I think it was called?). Christ, that's a sexy track.

But she isn't hot imo.

Nina Kraviz on the other hand...
And a better DJ as well.

She is in her own way, but its proper cringe to see her live and hear people on the front row shouting "marry me" your so hot" "so sexy!" and shit when if they knew anything about her theyd know shes is not into guys.

I really liked Dont put me in your box (have it on vinyl) and her Dj kicks mix, I should get on and check out her most recent stuff. What has she put out under the other name outside of stuff featured on Dj kicks?

Also Shaneus you get that anywhere. My recent R/S records night I was surrounded by people that were there to see James Blake play Strike a Pose (shouted it at him from the front row..). He played Mala-Changes JB remix which some people have only heard once, 4 years ago and its its quite frankly stunning.
3 people in the whole room showed any aprechiation as to how big of a deal it was, it was kind of sad.

Oh yeah I forgot. Anyone feel like schooling me on Amoin Tobin (spelling on that?) I hear his name all over the place but i cant say ive ever heard his stuff. Everyone goes on about some kind of visual show he does or something?

Shaneus

Her BBC essential mix is great:

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/nina-kraviz-essential-mix-12

And I think Ben Klock is her BF. ;-)
Downloading :) Edit: And maybe Ben Klock isn't, going by what JL said?

She is in her own way, but its proper cringe to see her live and hear people on the front row shouting "marry me" your so hot" "so sexy!" and shit when if they knew anything about her theyd know shes is not into guys.

I really liked Dont put me in your box (have it on vinyl) and her Dj kicks mix, I should get on and check out her most recent stuff. What has she put out under the other name outside of stuff featured on Dj kicks?

Also Shaneus you get that anywhere. My recent R/S records night I was surrounded by people that were there to see James Blake play Strike a Pose (shouted it at him from the front row..). He played Mala-Changes JB remix which some people have only heard once, 4 years ago and its its quite frankly stunning.
3 people in the whole room showed any aprechiation as to how big of a deal it was, it was kind of sad.

Oh yeah I forgot. Anyone feel like schooling me on Amoin Tobin (spelling on that?) I hear his name all over the place but i cant say ive ever heard his stuff. Everyone goes on about some kind of visual show he does or something?
Sorry, get what anywhere? I don't mean to sound questioning, but you have a few trains of thought going in that post and it's hard to know what you're directing that statement towards me about :)

Ha Should have split it up better.

Events filled with people that are just there to be seen there are pretty common everywhere.
There are very few nights ive been to that are filled with people the are really excited to see XYZ DJ.
Calling them all hipsters is abit much but yeah they are usually people out to get fucked up on chemicals, just a part of the scene were all involved in I guess.

I guess people that stand about and only come to hear one song are similar to people that come to rock shows to "mosh" and punch and kick the crap out of people.

Yeah MJC is a ladies girl! Not a clue on kravitz.

Shaneus

Ha Should have split it up better.
Damn straight!

Events filled with people that are just there to be seen there are pretty common everywhere.
There are very few nights ive been to that are filled with people the are really excited to see XYZ DJ.
Calling them all hipsters is abit much but yeah they are usually people out to get fucked up on chemicals, just a part of the scene were all involved in I guess.
Yeah, it was possibly an overreaction on my part, but I just see it all too often. And it's all the more frustrating when it's *genuinely* a really good act. Terje played one of the top two or three sets I've seen this year. I've seen a lot of crap that people stuck around for and this was one of the pearlers where people just didn't seem like they could be fucked watching it.*

I guess people that stand about and only come to hear one song are similar to people that come to rock shows to "mosh" and punch and kick the crap out of people.
Yeah, similar. Although you actually do get those people at some music festivals (at least in Australia) ;)

Yeah MJC is a ladies girl! Not a clue on kravitz.
Gotcha!

*On a similar note, I read something really interesting from Aeroplane about one of his mixes, that appeared in an interview I saw with him this week. I'll see if I can find it.
Edit: Apologies for the format, the shitty Australian music mag has an Apple Newsstand magazine, but otherwise no fucking presence online, so I had to screencap it, remove the shitty background and save it as a JPEG.
fqTW6.jpg

(I thought his comment on Inspector Norse was the only relevant thing to this discussion, but it's that whole passage, pretty much)

Man has a point. I like the bit about new a mix of new and old, must be hard having to balance that.

I think thats part of what I enjoy about dubstep culture and dubplates.
Some guys have certain versions of songs youll never hear anywhere else, VIPS that no one else has. For example Im pretty sure only Mala and James Blake have copys of Mala- Chnages [James Blake Remix] so you can only hear that if you see either of them and then they have to pull it out of the bag and lay it on the decks to get to hear it!

You'd never go out of your way to see them JUST to hear that song because you have a tiny percent chance of hearing it atall. So everytime you go see someone play, youll hear a really good mix of new, classics and then bangers they have.

I find it abit odd that inspector norse is SO big though, I mean I really like it but I could never imagine paying $40 or whatever mad price it is in Aus to see him play, Just ot hear that song lol

Shaneus

Yeah, I don't get it either. But maybe that's what they spend their money on with all the money they save from buying second-hand clothes ;)

Now I think about it though, his set did get a little wild in parts... so that MAY be part of the reason some left early. But for me, you hear weird shit like that and it's so much more enjoyable because it's actually challenging and you take something away from it, rather than just hearing songs you could hear on the most recent Ministry of Sound mix CD.

Or maybe it's that a lot of girls like that song and hence, a lot of guys rock up to follow them ;)

To make this post worthwhile:
Evil Nine 40 min Boiler Room set
Haven't listened to yet, but it starts with a Duke Dumont track, so you know it's good.

And while I'm at it, what seems to be a bit of a corker from Hawtin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sui24hHDZDI
(though during the 10 mins I watched it, completely mistimed some button pushy-effect things. That irks me :( )

Nina Kraviz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZxFNrUBFw
FWIW, I'm not a fan of starting mixes with a weird, random, "cool" soundbite. Having said that, I might just do that for Mixgiving :D

thabiz

After the discussion on her, i went back and listened to her DJ Kikcs. Honestly, it really only gets interesting at track 13. The first half is plodding. Her RA mix is vastly superior.

I've seen her live a couple of times and shes not that great of a DJ. I'm still trying to figure out where all the hype comes from.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did you go to see Parov Stelar in NYC last nite? A HS friend of mine went to the show and had an extra ticket, alas I had work today...

What?!! I had no idea he was in town, I totally would have gone.

Grrr I need to get on all these artists' Facebook/Twitter so I can keep up with when they're going to be in town.

Speaking of which, Above & Beyond are coming to NYC in February. Tickets go on sale on Wednesday, just put it in my calendar.

This plus Swedish House Mafia and Trance Around the World in March is going to make it an insane two months.

thabiz

Electric Deluxe Podcast 083 - ADMX-71 (Adam X)
Anthony Rother - Cirklon Valley
Unit Black Flight - Art Of Survival
Grackle - Grackle Electronic
Joey Beltram - South Pacific
Black Dog - Sleep Deprivation
Freund Der Familie - Pewars
Monolith - Memories of Sound/Even When We Sleep
Torsion - Dr 4000hz
Laibach - Hell:Symmetry
Pan Sonic - Fermi
Realmz - In Waves
Johan Afterglow - Spelet
The Noisemaker - Expo00-Dub
Dino Sabatini - Step 2
ADMX-71 - Uncompleted Remnants
Larry Heard - Rain
Underground Resistance - Thought 1
SPK - Metal Fields
Orphx - Insurgent Flows
Scape One - Not Human
Kenny Larkin -Tedra
Henrik B - Elektronik

Billy Nasty - 12/12 Club DJ- Mix
01 Talisman - Zula - Talisman
02 Tripeo - 1st Trip - Tripeo
03 S100 - isolator (Dimi & Jeroen Remix) A&S
04 Mike Dehnert - Refillable - Delsin
05 Alan Fitzpatrick - Skeksis - Drumcode
06 Answer Code Request - The Host - MDR
07 Phase - The Chasedown - Token
08 British Murder Boys - Dead Sun - LTECH
09 Broom & Ruskin - Nod - Blueprint
10 Answer Code Request - Main Mode - MDR
11 Phase - Behind The Sun - Token
12 Mike Dehnert - Tracer - Delsin
13 Shifted - Chapter - Our Circular Sound
14 RadioNasty - i Had To Spank You (Ben Sims Tough Mix) Tortured

DJ TLR - Pompe Le Mouton
Soul Force - I Remember House (Drvg Cvltvre Remix)
R-Zone - Houz Nation
2AMFM - Starfist Lazerbeam
Myriadd - Beyond This Life
Seaside Houz Boyz - Deephouse Y'all
John Heckle - Room Voices
Chicago Shags - Southside Will Rise (TLR Edit)
Trackman Lafonte - Trackman Lafonte
Exaltics - The First Circle
D'Marc Cantu - Black Tears
Neville Watson - Stronger Than Before
Neville Watson - Alone Again Tube
Alex Israel - Mongo Raw
WIllie Burns - Windows Down
Myriadd - Beyond This Life
Our Discovery (Orgue Electronique Remix)
R-Zone - Ravon Calling
Basic Soul Unit - Jak'd Freq
Distant Planet Star Trek Remix
Obama's House - Yes We Can
D'Marc Cantu - Fallen

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So this has been driving me crazy for months, since I have been hearing DJs dropping a few seconds of this track in their sets during transitions, and I know I've heard the song before but I was never able to put my finger on it. I finally tracked it down today:

Booka Shade - Body Language

However I think I like this version even better:

Booka Shade - Body Language (Tocadisco Remix)

This also reminded me of an old song that I really enjoyed back in the day, and which I think is still the only electronic song I've heard that uses the Arabic kanoon instrument:

Djuma Soundsystem - Les Djinns (Trentemøller Remix)

I love that sound so much.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Honestly, I was pretty disappointed when I saw MJC at Electric Zoo this year. My first time seeing her... I expected a lot more due to all the hype, but friends of mine who have seen her elsewhere say that she's not all that she's cracked up to be. Well, she served as a good lead-in to Sasha at least.

I do love that deep Jimpster-style sound from a few years ago though so I'll have to check out the new EP.

Shaneus

So this has been driving me crazy for months, since I have been hearing DJs dropping a few seconds of this track in their sets during transitions, and I know I've heard the song before but I was never able to put my finger on it. I finally tracked it down today:

Booka Shade - Body Language

However I think I like this version even better:

Booka Shade - Body Language (Tocadisco Remix)

This also reminded me of an old song that I really enjoyed back in the day, and which I think is still the only electronic song I've heard that uses the Arabic kanoon instrument:

Djuma Soundsystem - Les Djinns (Trentemøller Remix)

I love that sound so much.
I'm not sure if those first two you linked came out before or after In White Rooms/Night Falls, but I can't help but compare it to those... and it just comes off second best.

But it's the perfect excuse to post these because I fucking love them all:
Booka Shade vs. Plastic Operator - Night Falls/Won't Back Down (I seriously can't believe how well that vocal works with it. I know it was sung especially for the track, but the lyrics (Tom Petty, afaik) are obviously MUCH older) (also, how the fuck does this not sound dated yet?!?)

In White Rooms

Booka Shade & MANDY - Oh Superman!

okno

I'm not sure if those first two you linked came out before or after In White Rooms/Night Falls, but I can't help but compare it to those... and it just comes off second best.

But it's the perfect excuse to post these because I fucking love them all:
Booka Shade vs. Plastic Operator - Night Falls/Won't Back Down (I seriously can't believe how well that vocal works with it. I know it was sung especially for the track, but the lyrics (Tom Petty, afaik) are obviously MUCH older) (also, how the fuck does this not sound dated yet?!?)

In White Rooms

Booka Shade & MANDY - Oh Superman!

Sounds like Beck to me in that Night Falls/Won't Back Down. Ah, Booka Shade... What happened to you? I could never get into Oh Superman!.

Did anyone here ever listen to M.A.N.D.Y.'s Body Language Vol. 1? Such a stellar mix CD. Oh shit! The whole thing is up on SoundCloud :D "Picadilly Circuits," by Willzoid, near the end, is such a fucking TUNE.

Shaneus

Sounds like Beck to me in that Night Falls/Won't Back Down. Ah, Booka Shade... What happened to you? I could never get into Oh Superman!.

Did anyone here ever listen to M.A.N.D.Y.'s Body Language Vol. 1? Such a stellar mix CD. Oh shit! The whole thing is up on SoundCloud :D "Picadilly Circuits," by Willzoid, near the end, is such a fucking TUNE.
Yeah, agreed. I just kind of have a soft spot for Superman because I heard it the night I saw Francois K play this year (though it wasn't him that played it, t'was a side room). First person I heard play that Won't Back Down track many moons ago was actually T-Rek (who did this killer, killer track a few years back), but it was all I remember of his set, ahaha.

Always liked MANDY, too. Will check out that set ASAP.

Shaneus

I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing, but that could in part be due to my hearing being all kinds of fucked from this cold. Doesn't make appreciating music too easy :(

okno

I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing, but that could in part be due to my hearing being all kinds of fucked from this cold. Doesn't make appreciating music too easy :(

It has a lot of small details that really make it standout to me. This is a song that requires a proper system or headphones to appreciate it. The bits at 2:30 and 4:20 just really tickle me pink.

Shaneus

That's it then. My hearing is genuinely fucked and headphones just screw with me because there's literally NO top-end from my left ear. It's pissing me off.

bowery

perseus - seychelles is definitely one of the tunes of the year along with duke dumont - the giver.

and wow at this thread blowin up, nice

lftf put out their list of mixes of the year 2012

01. Disclosure FACT Mix
02. LOL Boys FADER Mix
03. Flying Lotus – Lovers Melt 3
04. George FitzGerald XLR8R Podcast 252
05. Scuba FACT Mix
06. Jackmaster – Tweak A Holic #3
07. Bicep FADER Mix
08. Machinedrum Clash Podcast
09. Karenn RINSE FM Mix
10. FaltyDL – Summer Mix For Heads & Toes
11. NGUZUNGUZU FACT Mix
12. Bok Bok & Girl Unit Live Set & Haven
13. Tommy Kruise – Cold City Mix
14. Brenmar FACT Mix
15. Supreme Cuts FADER Mix
16. Luke Vibert Dazed Digital Mix
17. TNGHT Mission Mix
18. BODY HIGH FADER Mix
19. Jackmaster Mastermix 2012
20. Deadboy Crackcast 029 Mix

gdt

Mmmm digging Nina Kraviz. I'm Gonna Get You is smoking. She put out an LP this year too.

Maya Jane Coles has really released a butload of music. Its pretty nuts.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, I don't get it either. But maybe that's what they spend their money on with all the money they save from buying second-hand clothes ;)

Now I think about it though, his set did get a little wild in parts... so that MAY be part of the reason some left early. But for me, you hear weird shit like that and it's so much more enjoyable because it's actually challenging and you take something away from it, rather than just hearing songs you could hear on the most recent Ministry of Sound mix CD.

Or maybe it's that a lot of girls like that song and hence, a lot of guys rock up to follow them ;)

To make this post worthwhile:
Evil Nine 40 min Boiler Room set
Haven't listened to yet, but it starts with a Duke Dumont track, so you know it's good.

And while I'm at it, what seems to be a bit of a corker from Hawtin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sui24hHDZDI
(though during the 10 mins I watched it, completely mistimed some button pushy-effect things. That irks me :( )

Nina Kraviz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZxFNrUBFw
FWIW, I'm not a fan of starting mixes with a weird, random, "cool" soundbite. Having said that, I might just do that for Mixgiving :D

Evil Nine are awesome, especially the They Live album. Up there with Discovery in terms of variety and perfect production on every track.

When they played the bar they only had separate videos for each song to play on the videowall behind the stage in ibar, so I stitched them all together for them. We were the first place in the world to have a full AV set, was fucking awesome. All synced up perfectly, perfect audio + perfect art = nirvana.

Shaneus

Evil Nine are awesome, especially the They Live album. Up there with Discovery in terms of variety and perfect production on every track.

When they played the bar they only had separate videos for each song to play on the videowall behind the stage in ibar, so I stitched them all together for them. We were the first place in the world to have a full AV set, was fucking awesome. All synced up perfectly, perfect audio + perfect art = nirvana.
I haven't actually heard that LP, TBH. In terms of how I discovered them, it goes something like this (it's fucked, but funny in retrospect):

1. Heard Adam Freeland's "Fear" in Rez game on Dreamcast.
2. Downloaded/listened to Freeland's Essential Mix, which was littered with Evil Nine stuff.
3. Listened to You Can Be Special, Too.

I don't know if you saw me post it or not, but this track of theirs that Terje played reignited my interest:
Broke One - Go Go Go - Evil Nine remix

thabiz

Not feeling this burial at all.

His material needs to breath over the course of an album. The small snippets do nothing. Truant is just a bunch of ideas pushed into a single track.

bomma_man

Not feeling this burial at all.

His material needs to breath over the course of an album. The small snippets do nothing. Truant is just a bunch of ideas pushed into a single track.

Only heard it in mac speakers but yeah. Don't understand why he didn't split into more.

BeeDog

Ordered the Andy Stott - Passed Me By / We Stay Together double CD last week, and the copy arrived yesterday. Holy shit, this stuff's AMAZING, even better than the Luxury Problems EP (which I now have two vinyl copies of, lulz).

Andy Stott <3

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I haven't actually heard that LP, TBH. In terms of how I discovered them, it goes something like this (it's fucked, but funny in retrospect):

1. Heard Adam Freeland's "Fear" in Rez game on Dreamcast.
2. Downloaded/listened to Freeland's Essential Mix, which was littered with Evil Nine stuff.
3. Listened to You Can Be Special, Too.

I don't know if you saw me post it or not, but this track of theirs that Terje played reignited my interest:
Broke One - Go Go Go - Evil Nine remix

LOVE THIS! :D

I discovered Freeland through Rez haha. My favourite track from Rez though was Level 3? The one with the running man on the ceiling, and the rolling drums.

Top Bottom