• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

subrock said:
so good huh? glad you checked out my mix. sometimes I feel like they are falling on deaf ears.

Jesus man, I can't do much more dick sucking for your mixes! I've only got two lips!

Nah, your stuff is hot and I just haven't gotten on the thread to say it enough. Listened to SE3 while mowing my lawn and you were right, that Calvin Harris remix of Shakira was awesome.

I'll be downloading this Autumn Attack when I get back home. Summer Essentials was a rousing success, and you should keep up the good work! Everything just flows so well and I think you pick songs that all make for an interesting listen that keeps me moving.

God I have a lot of catching up to do with this thread. I've been slowly making my way through Mustard Pimp's Hercules mixtape (fuck me, twelve hours?!?!) and will have to pick up that SMD hotness ASAP.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
I too wish more people visited this thread, and not only for the mixes. Can't really discuss electronic music properly when there's only 1 post a day or so.

Don't stop posting those mixes, Subrock, I love them all. Really like that Fred Falke remix of Heavy Cross btw. I feel like he's been making waaay too much remixes lately, and some have lost that special Fred Falke feeling a bit, but with this Gossip remix he brought his A-game. Love it!

joelseph said:
Oizo is the best DJ on Ed Banger!
I don't agree, but Oizo certainly is one of the most amusing! :lol

joelseph

Graf Nudu said:
Why's that?

He is crazy and doesn't give a fuck! He is interested in taking his own work down rabbit holes with effects and just tweaking out. Dude is an artist, which is hard to capture as a straight up DJ. =)

btkadams

i read this thread whenever its updated. its just hard for me to post things i'm listening to because im constantly getting new stuff.

been really digging Kontact Me by Boys Noize and can't wait for his new album Power to come out in october.

also, this month mustard pimp said cherry will finally release. thatll be great. i'm sick of jamming to this fade in/out web rip we've had for like 5 months.

i saw mstrkrft w/ aoki a week ago and it was unbelievably awesome. my bf and i made shirts. on the front they both read "MSTRKRFT" and then on the back of mine it said "BOUNCE LOW" and on his it said "BOUNCE HIGH". it was funny haha.

anybody else been checking out any of the new Boys Noize? thoughts? it's always been a bit on the hard side for me, but i still really really enjoy some of his stuff.

and mstrkrft is going into the studio after new years. their tour will finally end and they will be doing fulltime recording for their 3rd album. awesomeeeee

cory

Banned
btkadams said:
i read this thread whenever its updated. its just hard for me to post things i'm listening to because im constantly getting new stuff.

been really digging Kontact Me by Boys Noize and can't wait for his new album Power to come out in october.

also, this month mustard pimp said cherry will finally release. thatll be great. i'm sick of jamming to this fade in/out web rip we've had for like 5 months.

i saw mstrkrft w/ aoki a week ago and it was unbelievably awesome. my bf and i made shirts. on the front they both read "MSTRKRFT" and then on the back of mine it said "BOUNCE LOW" and on his it said "BOUNCE HIGH". it was funny haha.

anybody else been checking out any of the new Boys Noize? thoughts? it's always been a bit on the hard side for me, but i still really really enjoy some of his stuff.

and mstrkrft is going into the studio after new years. their tour will finally end and they will be doing fulltime recording for their 2rd album. awesomeeeee
3nd album.:] (FOG shouldn't have had what felt like the same synth in every song)

Is their a music production thread, because I have some stuff that needs a lot of help.
It's not really music, it's more of a timewaster for me.

btkadams

cms382 said:
3nd album.:]

Is their a music production thread, because I have some stuff that needs a lot of help.
It's not really music, it's more of a timewaster for me.
oops dont know why i wrote 2nd, i knew it was 3rd haha.

EDIT: i guess i wrote 2rd so i was halfway there

subrock

haha, thanks skiptastic! you and slizz and miyuru are always the first ones to get my mixes, I'm glad you enjoy them. I enjoy making them because you guys give me a lot of really positive feedback. I'm realizing that its the hardest part of promoting, getting people to give two shits. Its hard to stand out and make people listen unless you have a name for yourself, and its hard to make a name for yourself until you stand out. I'll keep pumping the mixes because I know you guys and 150 or so others are downloading them and if you guys have some of your own stuff to promo, throw it up, I'm listening.

subrock

still waiting on a legit copy of boys noize to give it a listen. I frickin' hate those promo copies.

on a side note: wobbly bass, dead trend?

Nyx

w00t it's official, I will be releasing my very first EP in October.

Started producing for fun in May 2008, and 1.5 years later I'm releasing my first shizzle, how about that ? :)

When the EP is up for sale @ Beatport etc. (at first it's only a digital release, it might get a vinyl release when there's enough demand) I will let you guys know so you can sponsor me. :D

If you want a preview of the tracks, visit my myspace page, the first 3 tracks in the player are the ones on the EP, there also will be remixes of Dancing in my Mind and R.U.T.A. on the EP, making it 5 tracks in total.

www.myspace.com/georgehefner1978

Might be my only release ever, but still, this is a freaking dream come true.

subrock

wow :bow
props to you for sure, that is no mean feat, not just producing quality, but having a finished product you are happy with as an artist.
liking what I am hearing on your myspace. I would definitely play this. i'd like to hear some HQ versions.
let us know fer sher when its out there for public consumption.

Kitsuné

joelseph said:
He is crazy and doesn't give a fuck! He is interested in taking his own work down rabbit holes with effects and just tweaking out. Dude is an artist, which is hard to capture as a straight up DJ. =)
Exactly. :)

Good stuff Nyx! Not really my cup of tea, but I can hear it's quality :) Especially like the percussion.

On the Boys Noize album: yeah I'm waiting for the official version as well. Not that psyched though, Boys Noize for me is on the verge of being too hard. I do like Jeffer though (more than Starter).

And on wobbly bass music: I don't mind it per se, but there's been A LOT of overhyped tracks that are shit. I would also go insane (in the negative way) if a DJ would only play those kinds of tracks, but I can appreciate some good fidget tracks here and there.

subrock

Kitsuné said:
Exactly. :)

Good stuff Nyx! Not really my cup of tea, but I can hear it's quality :) Especially like the percussion.

On the Boys Noize album: yeah I'm waiting for the official version as well. Not that psyched though, Boys Noize for me is on the verge of being too hard. I do like Jeffer though (more than Starter).

And on wobbly bass music: I don't mind it per se, but there's been A LOT of overhyped tracks that are shit. I would also go insane (in the negative way) if a DJ would only play those kinds of tracks, but I can appreciate some good fidget tracks here and there.
I'm pretty sure you and I are musical soulmates kitsune.

Kitsuné

subrock said:
I'm pretty sure you and I are musical soulmates kitsune.
Yeah I think so too, haha.

On Boys Noize: what do you guys think of Feel Good (TV=Off). I think it's one of his best tracks. I go crazy everytime when it's just the bass pumping'.

Shaneus

So, any Aussies here doing the festival thing coming up? Some killer lineups over the next few months... not counting Parklife because it's not as electronic-based as the others (plus I don't have a ticket :(). I'll be doing both Stereosonic and Summadayze Melbourne.

Stereosonic:
*Deadmau5

*Axwell
Fedde Le Grand

John Dahlbäck
*The Crookers

Surkin

*The Bloody Beetroots feat MC Justin Pearson

Miss Kittin & The Hacker

Marco Carola

**Chicane

Cut Copy DJs

Drop the Lime

Renaissance Man

*Alter Ego

Zombie Nation

*Umek

Hudson Mohawke

Tim Sweeney (DFA)

The Cobra Snake

Kidda

Juan Kidd

Grant Smillie

Andy Murphy

Acid Jacks

Grafton Primary

Canyons

Knightlife

Bag Raiders

Summadayze:
Carl Cox
*Mark Knight
Danny Howells
Ian Carey Project
The Juan Maclean
*Krafty Kuts
*2 Many DJs
Nic Fanciulli
**Josh Wink
**Sebastien Leger
Riton
*Sinden
Sharam (Deep Dish)
Infected Mushroom
Tom Novy
The Shapeshifters
Treasure Fingers
*Fake Blood
*Eddie Halliwell
Menno de Jong
*Don Diablo
LCD Soundsystem (DJ Set)
*Evil Nine
**Technotronic

* = want to see
** = REALLY want to see. Chicane?!? OMG.

Any other recommendations of who I should pencil in? Looking for acts that people have actually seen and can vouch for their live performances.

Kitsuné

The Juan Maclean are absolutely worth going to. One of my fav gigs at Pukkelpop this year!
Zombie Nation was great as well, although it got a bit boring after 45 mins.

LCD Soundsystem live is awesome, and I imagine that James would play all the DFA goodness during his DJ sets, so I would deffo go there as well.

Haven't seen Bag Raiders yet, but I've heard good things about them.
Knightlife's production work is stellar, can't comment on his DJ skills though.

Nyx

Shaneus said:
Any other recommendations of who I should pencil in? Looking for acts that people have actually seen and can vouch for their live performances.

I would skip Don Diablo and add Danny Howells.

Oh and definitely add Miss Kitten & The Hacker !

subrock

Shaneus said:
So, any Aussies here doing the festival thing coming up? Some killer lineups over the next few months... not counting Parklife because it's not as electronic-based as the others (plus I don't have a ticket :(). I'll be doing both Stereosonic and Summadayze Melbourne.

Stereosonic:
*Deadmau5

*Axwell
Fedde Le Grand

John Dahlbäck
*The Crookers

Surkin

Miss Kittin & The Hacker

Marco Carola

**Chicane

Cut Copy DJs

Drop the Lime

Renaissance Man

*Alter Ego

Zombie Nation

*Umek

Hudson Mohawke

Tim Sweeney (DFA)

The Cobra Snake

Kidda

Juan Kidd

Grant Smillie

Andy Murphy

Acid Jacks

Grafton Primary

Canyons

Knightlife

Bag Raiders

Summadayze:
Carl Cox
*Mark Knight
Danny Howells
Ian Carey Project
The Juan Maclean
*Krafty Kuts
*2 Many DJs
Nic Fanciulli
**Josh Wink
**Sebastien Leger
Riton
*Sinden
Sharam (Deep Dish)
Infected Mushroom
Tom Novy
The Shapeshifters
Treasure Fingers
*Fake Blood
*Eddie Halliwell
Menno de Jong
*Don Diablo
LCD Soundsystem (DJ Set)
*Evil Nine
**Technotronic

* = want to see

if I were checking those out (which I'm really jealous that I'm not) I would defo see:
John Dahlbäck
crookers
surkin
beetroots
drop the lime
renaissance man
kidda
knightlife
bag raiders

mark night
******2 many DJs
sinden
the shapeshifters
fake blood
don diablo

those sound like crazy awesome lineups
if I could afford the airfare I would be there in a second

Shaneus

The reason I tagged Don Diablo is that I saw him play last year at Stereosonic and he was really, really good. Except for his final track, "Music Is My Life", which was laughable :lol Knightlife I saw this year and his DJ set was underwhelming to say the least... was hoping it would be good, but wasn't.

Definitely taking all your advice on some of the others, though... cheers!

subrock

Shaneus said:
The reason I tagged Don Diablo is that I saw him play last year at Stereosonic and he was really, really good. Except for his final track, "Music Is My Life", which was laughable :lol Knightlife I saw this year and his DJ set was underwhelming to say the least... was hoping it would be good, but wasn't.

Definitely taking all your advice on some of the others, though... cheers!
yeah I think knightlife is a pretty young bedroom producer type, same with treasure fingers. not always guaranteed good times. the ones I tagged are less trancey than the other stuff but surkin and sinden can definitely wreck a place.
sinden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzZkVKa0Ao

Kitsuné

Yeah, Surkin is deffo a capable DJ (and producer, I love Radio Fireworks!).

Riton also knows how to start a party.

Kitsuné

That whole album is hilarious :lol

I love him more for his Eine Kleine Nacht Musik project though, so good

subrock

Kitsuné said:
That whole album is hilarious :lol

I love him more for his Eine Kleine Nacht Musik project though, so good
agreed :lol he is down a whole different road now for sure though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:

Stereosonic:
*Deadmau5

*Axwell
Fedde Le Grand

John Dahlbäck
*The Crookers

Surkin

Miss Kittin & The Hacker

Marco Carola

**Chicane

Cut Copy DJs

Drop the Lime

Renaissance Man

*Alter Ego

Zombie Nation

*Umek

Hudson Mohawke

Tim Sweeney (DFA)

The Cobra Snake

Kidda

Juan Kidd

Grant Smillie

Andy Murphy

Acid Jacks

Grafton Primary

Canyons

Knightlife

Bag Raiders

Summadayze:
Carl Cox
*Mark Knight
Danny Howells
Ian Carey Project
The Juan Maclean
*Krafty Kuts
*2 Many DJs
Nic Fanciulli
**Josh Wink
**Sebastien Leger
Riton
*Sinden
Sharam (Deep Dish)
Infected Mushroom
Tom Novy
The Shapeshifters
Treasure Fingers
*Fake Blood
*Eddie Halliwell
Menno de Jong
*Don Diablo
LCD Soundsystem (DJ Set)
*Evil Nine
**Technotronic

* = want to see

Technotronic? They are still around? Holy shit...

Well, Carl Cox is pretty enjoyable, lots of people raved over Menno's performance at Electric Zoo (if you are looking for Armin Van Buuren Jr. at least, I wasn't that into him when I saw him), LCD Soundsystem's DJ sets are some nice classic Paradise Garage-era disco. But... the one who you should most definitely see is:

Danny%20Howells%201.jpg

:bow :bow :bow DANNY HOWELLS :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

subrock

joelseph said:
I am big fan of Fools Gold, I would be at the Treasure Fingers.
treasure fingers is meh live. hes not terrible, hes just not "kill-the-party" good. I did see him like a year ago though so maybe he has gotten better.

btkadams

Kitsuné said:
I don't really get the love for Steve Aoki.
you gotta see his live show. he definitely has great showmanship, gets the crowd way more into it than mstrkrft... and thats saying something IMO. i personally don't like his originals or remixes that much. i think there is probably less than 5 i enjoy a lot. i did really dig his work with the bloody beetroots on Warp though!
permutated said:
Some of the most annoying delays I've ever heard. Vocals are really putrid.

Really just a terrible track. I can't believe people enjoy this shit. Ugh.
really? i thought it would be pretty dope in a club.

it WAS really dope when he played it at the club.
subrock said:
I'd play it. The video rules btw.
video is definitely awesome. no one can disagree with that.

btkadams said:
really? i thought it would be pretty dope in a club.

it WAS really dope when he played it at the club.

No doubt, it's just completely uninteresting when listened to anywhere else.

Alot of Electronic Music doesn't translate, I try to find stuff that works for every purpose.

Top Bottom