• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelparrett

Neo Member
Been listening to Trail of Tears on Waves of Italy all morning waiting for FoF comp to drop.

3622306973-1.jpg

http://fofmusic.bandcamp.com/album/show-me-the-future-2

Buy Now name your price
DJAO - Time To Stop Waiting 04:09
Evenings - Stays 06:02
Pcoat - Division 03:18
Ryan Hemsworth - An Overture Might Help Me Stop Thinking About You 02:22
Dreams - IN2U 06:14
Octo Octa - Smooth West 04:02
Kid Smpl - Snowscape 04:08
about
Friends of Friends invited a group of some of our favorite cutting edge producers to give us a glimpse of what to expect from the future. The final result is an eclectic 7-track compilation exploring all aspects of the electronic soundscape with elements of wintry vibes to gear up for the season.

DJAO - An integral member of the Dropping Gems collective, Seattle’s Alex Osuch aka DJAO approaches electronic music with nature in mind, incorporating live vocals and instrumentation into his vision of hazy environments. Be on the lookout for an LP from DJAO in 2013.
www.facebook.com/thatDJAO

Evenings - Nathan Broaddus is the newest signing to Friends of Friends, a New York by way of Virginia producer who’s gearing up for his first release with us due out this Spring.
www.facebook.com/Eveningsounds

Pcoat - Drawing inspiration from Four Tet and R&S Records, our former intern Brandon Trude contributes the stellar and heady “Division”
www.facebook.com/pcoatpcoat

Ryan Hemsworth - After the release of his critically acclaimed ‘Last Words’ EP on Wedidit and a series of popular remixes and edits, Hemsworth is one of the brightest stars of 2013.
www.facebook.com/ryanhemsworth

Dreams - Recently setting up shop in NYC, Jesse Pimenta is a staple member of the 6BIT Collective. His debut LP, ‘Lost Kingdom’, came out in October on Astro Nautico, a strong cap to a 2011 that saw Dreams performing with Rustie, Kode9, and a slot on Boiler Room LA.
www.facebook.com/Drrreams

Octo Octa - NYC’s Michael Morrison has made a name for himself after a series of forward-thinking 12″s for LA label 100% Silk. Expect plenty more from Octo Octa in 2013.
www.facebook.com/pages/Octo-Octa

Kid Smpl - Seattle’s Joey Butler has burst into the electronic discourse through a number of releases on Hush Hush Records, including his debut ‘Skylight’ LP. Butler provides a hazy, ambient vision of the future.
www.facebook.com/kidsimpledubs

Cover art by Bryant Rutledge

injurai

Banned
Yeah, I was listening to that EM and Annie Mac was saying that 2013 is going to be his year, and he's an "upcoming star". Um, he's been releasing shit since 2009 and 2012 was fucking massive for him, you stupid cow.

Haha, I hate how people think an artist is only big once they've heard of them. Like the entire success of musicians is based on your awareness bubble. It would take 10 minutes to research the artist but no, they act like sticks in the mud and push their uninformed analysis over what should speak for itself.

okno

Haha, I hate how people think an artist is only big once they've heard of them. Like the entire success of musicians is based on your awareness bubble. It would take 10 minutes to research the artist but no, they act like sticks in the mud and push their uninformed analysis over what should speak for itself.

In all fairness, he wasn't well-known in the slightest bit until last year, and it wasn't until "The Giver" came out that people really started to talk about him. "Street Walker" was a banger, but it wasn't received extraordinarily well nor talked about very much beyond its release window. "The Giver" was epic and huge, but I never once heard it played out and it wasn't until the last two months of 2012 that he started being talked up a bunch.

That said, I still agree with you guys on how people like Annie Mac like to talk about artists as if they're the ones making them big and known.

Shaneus

Perhaps just assume that because you haven't heard of someone, doesn't mean they've only been around since their song charted. I mean shit, look him up on Beatport or Discogs or even fucking YouTube and see when their earliest song was uploaded! Ugh.

In all fairness, he wasn't well-known in the slightest bit until last year, and it wasn't until "The Giver" came out that people really started to talk about him. "Street Walker" was a banger, but it wasn't received extraordinarily well nor talked about very much beyond its release window. "The Giver" was epic and huge, but I never once heard it played out and it wasn't until the last two months of 2012 that he started being talked up a bunch.

That said, I still agree with you guys on how people like Annie Mac like to talk about artists as if they're the ones making them big and known.
Yeah, but it's more like it's her calling them out as being "future stars" and "up-and-comers". It's like calling a guy who's been playing golf for 30 years on the amateur circuit as a "fresh young face" because he's made it to the pro league (or whatever... I'm not sure where that analogy came from) and he came out of nowhere.

Hell, I was stoked when I found out about Dumont (from this very thread!) and was surprised at his back catalogue that went back a good couple of years. If you've been getting label releases *at all* prior to making it big, you should never be considered a "future star" because you're not calling out shit, you're just basing it on one song that made it big. If anything, he should fit under a category called "How did we not hear of him sooner?".

I'd love to see some kind of segment on that... producers/DJs who only made it big after their third or fourth single but they actually mention their earlier stuff. Just because music is a year or two old, doesn't mean it should be completely discounted from being played unless it's a massive anthem.

Hell, I could knock up a killer set from all the discs I burned when I was (more) actively DJing in '07 and it wouldn't sound the slightest bit old at all. The number of tracks I discover today where I think "fuuuck... this was in 2008" (or whatever) is insane.

On another note, I have some predictions for this year. I think re-edits and disco-like tracks will continue to be big. No surprises there. But I think that to fill in the glitchy gap that'll be left from brostep's departure will be filled in by... breaks:
Young Punx - Rockall (Phonat remix)
Meat Katie - Work Ya Body
Most Valuable Playas - Roc Ya Body (Jupiter Ace dub)

At least, I hope so. I miss them.

Servbot24

Banned
That Show Me the Future mix is pretty neat
Sounds a bit like a bid to land a composition gig for an oh-so-quirky indie game tbh but that's ok with me I suppose

Anyone enjoying the Goliath - The Message Carriers EP?

Servbot24

Banned
And aside from that I'm just about ready for this cough syrupy, trap-ladden, post-dubstep dross to retire

Bring on the sound of 2013!

Shaneus

And aside from that I'm just about ready for this cough syrupy, trap-ladden, post-dubstep dross to retire

I've already posted the sound of 2013, my friend. It's the sound of 2004 ;)
On another note, I have some predictions for this year. I think re-edits and disco-like tracks will continue to be big. No surprises there. But I think that to fill in the glitchy gap that'll be left from brostep's departure will be filled in by... breaks:

Actually, one I forgot:
Dylan Rhymes - Salty (Meat Katie remix)

miksushag

new minimix by Jamie XX
https://soundcloud.com/openingceremony/showtunes-kenzo-mens-fw13-by

also, Four Tet dropping out of nowhere a new LP today!
Four Tet - 0181 (LP) - TEXT021

that new Marcel Dettman EP on 50 Weapons is banging.
https://soundcloud.com/modeselektor/sets/marcel-dettmann-linux-ellipse

Drexciya / Journey of the Deep Sea Dweller III, so good as one would expect.
DIVA - Paris Stabbing EP https://soundcloud.com/newkanada/sets/nk38-diva-1

http://www.fabriclondon.com/store/fabriclive-67.html Ben UFO's fabriclive 67 is out also!

okno

Guess no ones linked this? Bodhi's edit of Marky Marks Good Vibrations:
https://soundcloud.com/bodhi-music/marky-mark-and-the-funky

Its either the most awesome thing ever or the most retarded thing ever lol.

Hahaha, this is awesome to cheese people with. It's one of those songs that is just so awful you don't want to dance, yet you can't help but to dance. This takes a good portion of the awful out, so I'll place it in the "this is kind of awesome" category. I like to drop this track into my sets every once in a while, the reaction it gets is pretty awesome once people realize what it is.

Also, stoked to finally be able to buy All Nite. Kid has a ton of talent.

lush

Loving that Perseus/Jonas Rathsman Essential Mix, see they have George Fitzgerald on tap for this Friday. Should be awesome.

Kingdom mix for Diplo & Friends on BBC Radio1 & 1xtra (01/06/13)
Beyoncé - Baby Boy (Total Freedom Edit)
Kingdom - Fukin Jaker
Bok Bok & Tom Trago - The Hole Driller
Kingdom - Goodies Remix
L-Vis 1990 - Not Mad
Kingdom - Stalker Ha (Rap Mix)
MikeQ & DJ Sliink - The Bitch
Divoli S'vere - I Don't Need a Pill (Instrumental)
Dat Oven - Icy Lake (L-VIS 1990 Refix)
Untold - Stop What You're Doing (Kowton Remix - Kingdom Edit)
Jam City - How We Relate to the Body (12" Mix)
Kingdom - Heaven Drift
Kingdom - Femme Litre
Girl Unit - Double Take Part II
Future & Kelly Rowland - Neva End (Kingdom Edit)
Dj Big O - Nobody's Perfect
NA - XTreme Tremble
Dolla - CT1
Kingdom - Appetite Edit
Nguzunguzu - Drop Cage
Kingdom - Timesup VIP DUB
Fatima Al Qadiri - Oil Well (Kingdom Edit ft. Gangsta Boo)

tumblr_m7q1vw42wj1qabnl2.gif

If thats in relation to Shlohmo, his stuff is pretty unique, atleast 2years since his first ep and its neither trap or post dubstep (whatever that is)

Hahaha, this is awesome to cheese people with. It's one of those songs that is just so awful you don't want to dance, yet you can't help but to dance. This takes a good portion of the awful out, so I'll place it in the "this is kind of awesome" category. I like to drop this track into my sets every once in a while, the reaction it gets is pretty awesome once people realize what it is.

Also, stoked to finally be able to buy All Nite. Kid has a ton of talent.

I cant hear this song without thinking off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKjVy__kvB8f

Though this one is pretty sick! I like it!

I've already posted the sound of 2013, my friend. It's the sound of 2004 ;)

Yikes I hope its not quite that strange, opinions I guess!

Edit: Yeah I just dont like the name, its a terrible name for a style of music.

Some people I chat to were mentioning this. Its along the same vein as Strike a Pose- kind of strange spacey weird london sound stuff.
Dusk + Blackdown ft Trim- The Bits
Trimbal - Confidence Boost (Harmonimix)
More upbeat (err ish)
Dusk + Blackdown "Apoptosis"

okno

Anyone else getting a malware warning for "gottadancedirty.com" when trying to post? Gives me a "malware has been detected" warning, but then the advanced details describe 0 instances of malware being found or downloaded. Weird.

Anyway, wasn't Mount Kimbie called post-dubstep for ages? Silly genre name.

injurai

Banned
Anyone else getting a malware warning for "gottadancedirty.com" when trying to post? Gives me a "malware has been detected" warning, but then the advanced details describe 0 instances of malware being found or downloaded. Weird.

Anyway, wasn't Mount Kimbie called post-dubstep for ages? Silly genre name.

PM'd Gromph, we are good to go ;)

I've heard people call OG Dubstep, post-dubstep. I bit my tongue so hard, I think I had to leave the room.

Smh. Its funny aswell that Burial gets called post you could argue he pre dates actual dubstep lol.

Anyway!
Found this via my evening youtube session
Download: Sinjin Hawke Bootlegs
Sinjin Hawke – Bootlegs 2011
1. The-Dream – Fancy (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
2. Tevin Campbell – Shhh (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
3. 702 – Steelo (Sinjin Hawke & Lol Boys Bootleg)
4. Waka Flocka Flame – Drinkin & Smokin (Sinjin Hawke & Grandtheft Bootleg)
5. Brandy – Never Say Never (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
6. Beyonce – Countdown (Sinjin Hawke Bootleg)
7. Brandy – What About Us (Sinjin Hawke & Marcus Price Bootleg)
8. DJ Khaled – I’m On One (Sinjin Hawke Remix)

Read more: Download: Sinjin Hawke Bootlegs « Truants

injurai

Banned
Smh. Its funny aswell that Burial gets called post you could argue he pre dates actual dubstep lol.

You can't classify him, Burial drums are something totally unique. I think of 2-step and UKG a lot though when I think of him, now that dubstep means something completely different.

Kymbo

I hope you're right buddy, I'm missing some breaks in my life...One of my personal favorites "Evil 9 - Crooked" ( great video as well )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6dxYka2tRk

gdt

The new Terje/Lindstrom track is amazing.

New Duke Dumont is good.

New She Said Disco EP is great.

Detroit Swindle's Guess What EP is good

THIS IS TOTAL FIRE

Hnny-For-The-Very-First-Time-EP.jpg

Dense & Pika's Bad Ink EP is amazing. Farrrr better than their Crispy Duck ep.

And Jessie Ware's Devotion is prettttty prettttyyy pretttttyyyy good.

Fusebox

Banned
I just gave that HNNY EP a spin on Spotify and I feel like I'm missing something coz it was generic vocal house circa 1998. Or is its retro appeal the point?

gdt

I just gave that HNNY EP a spin on Spotify and I feel like I'm missing something coz it was generic vocal house circa 1998. Or is its retro appeal the point?

I'm totally in love with the retro house revival going on right now....so yeah thats part of the appeal I guess.

The third song on the EP, Trummor is pretty unique. Its like latin drums house.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm totally in love with the retro house revival going on right now....so yeah thats part of the appeal I guess.

The third song on the EP, Trummor is pretty unique. Its like latin drums house.

Yeah I agree Trummor is cool. I was bopping to it and it sounds so different I figured Spotify had shuffled me onto a different album.

Top Bottom