• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Lets play "What are they listening too?"
OLBwlDo.gif

ahaha
You're back! :)

gdt

Man I wish I could play the shit these guys play. So good
bicep-feel-my-bicep.jpg

New EP dropping soon! Sounds so good. A bit more moody and downtempo than the ultra hype and poppy (and stellar!) Vision of Love, but it sounds amazing too. And its "inspired by The Wire" and every track title is from the show. Way cool. Posted it a few pages back.

I'm SO excited for new Bicep. VoL was amazing.

They've also put out 3 (I think) songs out since then which were just as awesome. Ermm.... Feel It, Love Is Coming Down, and Mixxxmaster 88. Echo Vibes was the same month as VoL I think...

gdt

Another installment of the assholiest dj around lol. Love this guy.

Note that I'm cherry picking of course

Scuba ‏@ScubaUK 19 Mar
I don't dream about anyone.... Except myself

Scuba ‏@ScubaUK 20 Mar
Don't want fratboy bangers but do want The Hope (gdt note, The Hope is off his last LP, my AOTY 2012) huh? Can't win em all I guess.

Scuba ‏@ScubaUK 20 Mar
If u come see me DJ you will see me DJing, not playing a bunch of my tunes in a row. And u definitely won't hear Talk Torque or The Hope.

Scuba ‏@ScubaUK 4h
America is not a good place to have an existential crisis

Scuba ‏@ScubaUK 4h
Having a proper emo episode at Newark airport. Tears are a real possibility.

gdt

Yeah he's playing it up/being whiny on purpose I think. Not those ones about DJing though, seems like maybe he heard some shit from a club owner during his NA tour.

Two new Locked Groove songs off some Miami compilation, both absolute stunners. First one more so.

Keep Thorough <-------------holy shit

Shores (w/Gingy)

gdt

WTF is going on with Citizen's latest EP, Trax? Its on Love Fever but I can't buy it anywhere. It's been out for 10 days or so.

Edit: Annnnnnd of course its limited vinyl. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

I also wanna pimp this not so Ejeca sounding Ejeca song. Sounds like his take/tribute to Burial. Off his latest EP, great stuff.

Time For Change

miksushag

We did a boilerroom type thingy last night with our electronic music club @ Tampere, Finland university of technology.

House / Techno / Bass
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/30174139 deep vibes by a few of my friends.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/30179289 technical problems with burusound in the beginning, I'm playing 52min onwards.

My tracklist:

morri$ - ladyboy
velour - speedway
panda - foolish
tessela - hackney parrot
justin timberlake - let the groove get in
jabwok feat. maiday - fade (club vip)
ts7 feat. taylor howlis - heartlight
applebottom - turn on the faith
surkin - tiger rhythm
boddika & joy o - mercy (vip)
youan - girl
chrome sparks - send the pain on
banks feat. lil silva - work
mosca - bax (spooky's refix)
alex coulton - too much talk
south london ordnance - revolver
artifact - we trapped
polkadot - wasn't like that
karri koira - lähe mun kaa
drdr - addicted (polkadot remix)
tcts - 1997
james blake - retrograde

nothing too deep on my part trackwise just partyparty, check it out if you're interested :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Going to see Jeremy Olander tomorrow, super pumped! I've been away from this thread for a while, I need to catch up. Dota 2 has been stealing all my time.

you got his booking agent's number?

You mean, the place he got those magical decks from, right?

if i need those decks, i'll just ask guetta where to pick them up.

Haha Im trying to find the one of guetta but I cant ;(

Shaneus im sure your on about joelseph lol
youve both been band longer than I have ever spent away gaf!
Saying that im off to Rome>Srilanka>SE Asia on Tuesday my posts will vanish till June!!

PlayGround Mix 137 - V.I.V.E.K.
Not really a mix but a selection of Dub/Roots played.

Shaneus

Haha Im trying to find the one of guetta but I cant ;(

Shaneus im sure your on about joelseph lol
youve both been band longer than I have ever spent away gaf!
Saying that im off to Rome>Srilanka>SE Asia on Tuesday my posts will vanish till June!!
Both of your names have a regular name in them and start with the letter J, I can't help but be confused :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Here under the direction from Johnlenham in the fake Daft Punk thread. I enjoy the Daft Punk brand of music and would like to get some recommendations from you good folks on what I should also be tuning into.

Let me preface this request by saying I'm not too much into the style of dubstep. I know plenty of people like it but the style is just not something I'm into. I don't know what the genre of electronic music I'm into but to give insight I'll give some of the artists in my spotify playlist. These are mostly the songs I can remember from my club days 15 years ago.

Gaia
Atb
Tiesto
Oakenfold
Darude
Dash Berlin

Let me know of a few newer artists I should be listening to please.

Thanks!

thabiz

Here under the direction from Johnlenham in the fake Daft Punk thread. I enjoy the Daft Punk brand of music and would like to get some recommendations from you good folks on what I should also be tuning into.

Let me preface this request by saying I'm not too much into the style of dubstep. I know plenty of people like it but the style is just not something I'm into. I don't know what the genre of electronic music I'm into but to give insight I'll give some of the artists in my spotify playlist. These are mostly the songs I can remember from my club days 15 years ago.

Gaia
Atb
Tiesto
Oakenfold
Darude
Dash Berlin

Let me know of a few newer artists I should be listening to please.

Thanks!

based on those listed, you are probably better off in the Trance thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465862&highlight=trance

I'm sure ilnadmy can help you out while youre in here.

Welcome.

Shaneus

Is it the melody that's the same? Because I don't think I can pick it... which is weird, because I'm normally pretty good with that stuff.

Fun (probably well known) fact: OT Quartet was one of the many aliases of Rollo (of Faithless fame, and brother of Dido). He also produced under Felix (Don't You Want Me) and... um... a few others.

Another fun fact: Rex the Dog used to be JX (You Belong to Me, Son of a Gun). Also (as Rex) did a kickarse remix of Heartbeats by The Knife.

Shiiiiiiit how am I supposed to decide what music to put on my 16gb Mp3 player!?
Wont be on Gaf or any music sites for the next hmmmm 11 weeks?

Its hard.

Shaneus

Shiiiiiiit how am I supposed to decide what music to put on my 16gb Mp3 player!?
Wont be on Gaf or any music sites for the next hmmmm 11 weeks?

Its hard.
Essential Mixes. Lots and lots. Put old and new on there, as well as ones from artists that you normally wouldn't listen to (but obviously make sure they're "classics" or renowned for being good).

My picks, mostly for diversity and education:
Soulwax, 2005
Adam Freeland, 2003
Greg Wilson 2009
Silicone Soul 2005
Dimitri from Paris 2011

Obviously some stuff there you might not be into, but it's very much all quality. A good portion of it you probably wouldn't like no matter how much you listened to it, but if I had to trim the list, I'd say get the Adam Freeland and Silicone Soul ones. They're more likely to be appreciated by any dance music fan regardless of what they are into (unless you're a hardarse elitist), if that makes sense.

But go nuts. Maybe grab an old Daft Punk one from the 90s, or pretty much anyone else from that era. Audio quality be damned, it's the content you're listening for. But don't go for someone you'd normally listen to. I mean, where's the fun in that? ;)

Also, it's probably a good idea to look to the past if you're away from (new) music for a while because then you won't be tempted by what else is out there ("Fuck, got this track... I wonder what such-and-such remix is like?"). And listening to different EMs from different times will give you a good idea of how people program their sets and if they work or not. I'm pretty sure 99% of the guests they've had on would put more time into that than anything else, so that's where the best examples would be (as opposed to live sets in clubs, which would be good, but if you can avoid their bad habits/mistakes, you should).

Top Bottom