• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Nooooo, I'm going to be in Mykonos when this happens:
Ah man, that does indeed suck. I say that having seen Maxxi Soundsystem and personally vouching for just how fucking awesome his set was. Side note: He won best "indie dance track" last year (or this year?) at SXSW for this track. No mean feat, considering what apparently fits under the "indie dance" banner.

God DAMN.

I want to shine a little light in here on M|O|O|N, who is mostly know of course from the Hotline Miami soundtrack. His last EP (which I just got around to) is fucking STELLAR. Dark futuristic house music. His comments on his bandcamp had to do with how he finally put together a cohesive work, and these three songs really are that. So good and robot sexy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu33PBwg3A8
So is that stuff that wasn't in Hotline Miami? Will have to check out if so. Bought the HM EP (well, the one that has all his HM tracks on it) and loved the shit out of it.

Haha yeah I guess it's not such a bad problem to have. 6 days of chilling on the beach drinking and partying is not such a bad alternative.
You haven't heard him live :p

gdt

So is that stuff that wasn't in Hotline Miami? Will have to check out if so. Bought the HM EP (well, the one that has all his HM tracks on it) and loved the shit out of it.

Correct. His first EP was featured in its entirety on HM. The second (which isn't as good, honestly) has nothing to do with HM and neither does this one.

Shaneus

Correct. His first EP was featured in its entirety on HM. The second (which isn't as good, honestly) has nothing to do with HM and neither does this one.
Ohhh.... okay, I think I'm following you now. First one = HM. Second one = not HM, not as good. Third one (the one you're talking about) = not HM (maybe HM2?) but good.

I'm catchin' what you're throwin' :)

gdt

Ohhh.... okay, I think I'm following you now. First one = HM. Second one = not HM, not as good. Third one (the one you're talking about) = not HM (maybe HM2?) but good.

I'm catchin' what you're throwin' :)

On his blog he said "maybe" when asked whether his music will be in HM2.

And I hopped around the second EP (for clarification, first ep is MOON, second is Particles, and third is DAY/NIGHT) the second is just maybe too long. One song in particular I don't really dig. Still good but doesn't hit as hard because of that. The third is a much more upfront house sound which is a new thing for him. Incredibly alluring sound to me. Its that dark 80's sound he has mixed with 4/4 house grooves.

miksushag

Cream Soda - Cocaine
Still rocking to this one, so fucking good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuddkF7U8HU

Bo En - Friend (FREE DL)

New one from 'Bo En' - again, ace stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/bo-en/friend

Walter Ego - Grab Somebody
New Walter Ego for Madtech Records, bomb
https://soundcloud.com/madtechrecords/walter-ego-grab-somebody-bbc

Guised - Be
https://soundcloud.com/witness-music/guised-be

Oneman - Rinse FM 30th July

https://soundcloud.com/djoneman99/rinse-fm-30th-july-2013

Round Five - Na Fe Throw Version
Round One - I'm Your Brother [Chicago Twisted Mix]
Boddika - Steam
Twwth - RAW
Floating Points - ARP3
DVA - Madhatter
Fis-T - Go Crazy
Cliques - AUT [Victora Kim Edit]
Round One - Find A Way
Gatto Viola - Backstabbin Angie For A Ten Bag [Doc Daneeka Mix]
OHM - Tribal Tone [Marquis Hawkes Mix]
Adonis - No Way Back
Tempa T - Star 9s
Twwth - Naomi XX
Derek Djons - You And Your Pals
Unknown - Champion
Gregory Porter - 1960 What? [Opolopo Remix]
T Williams - In The Deep [Zander Hardy Mix]
Jeremih - F U All The Time [Akito Ice Trap Edit]
Boddika - Black
Twwth - Boy U Down Wit It
Dreams - Payback Theme
Lil Ugly Mane - Serious Shit
Hysterics - Club Switch
DJ Vague - Body Trax 2
Jeremih - Ex To See
Digital Mystikz - Da Wrath [Souljahz VIP]
Loefah - Midnight
D1 - Identify
DJ Narrows - Saved Soul Exclusive
Horsepower - Landslide Remix
Wiley - Flying [Instrumental]
Piddy Py - Beef
Twwth - Amika
Hade + DWFL - Rollin'
Bossman - Bongo Eyes 3
Brothers Grimm - Crunked Up
DJ Marsta - Gridlock Remix
Wiley - Ice Pole Vocal
DJ Target - Poltergeist
Neckle Camp - Strangle Man
Mark One - Lost Gold
Mondie ft. Jamakabi - Straights Vocal
Benga - Skank
Benny Ill & Dinesh - London
Toasty - Skinny
DJ Oddz - Blade Runner
Spectr - Red Hot
Jendor - Eyes On You
Nina Simone - Sinnerman
Koreless - Ivana

miksushag

I don't know if demo versions (I assume you want to do this without paying much) of DAWs like Ableton, Logic Pro, Fruityloops, Reaper etc have exporting to .wav included, but DAWs are the easiest route to merge multiple audiofiles into one with crossfading etc.

If you want to get as easy as possible, get Virtual DJ.

injurai

Banned
It's about that time again for another exile. Going on a camping trip, plus school will be starting up. I'm going to take a ban to keep my mind clear. If I had it my way I would want to be banned minus this thread.

lush

Scuba After Hours Mix Part 3
01. SDC - Petrichor
02. David Gtronic - Salto Del Angel (dub mix)
03. Dense & Pika - Mooger Fooger
04. Miguel Lobo & Larry Peters - State Of Mind (Re-UP remix)
05. Pherox - Lovers & Leavers
06. Pedestrian - Hoyle Road
07. Jean Bresan - You Don't Know Me
08. Basic Soul Unit - Things Pass
09. Pele & Shawnecy - you and me
10. Efdemin - There Will Be Singing (DJ Koze remix)
11. Matthew Jonson - Lost Forever In A Happy Crowd
12. Jichael Mackson - Snuff
13. Four Tet - Peace For Earth
14. Dense & Pika - Vomee
15. Nikols Mendonca - Detroit
16. Andre Winter - Green Light
17. Paul Woolford - Untitled
18. Vitor Munhoz - Earrings
19. SCB - Closer
20. Boddika & Joy O - Tricky's Team
21. KH - TEXT022
22. George FitzGerald - I Can Tell (By The Way You Move)

Fantastic Mr Fox - Jackal Youth
Oneohtrix Point Never - Problem Areas

bowery

need to get rid of my disclosure/tnght central park ticket, do any of you know whats the best way to go about this - craiglist? dont know if its ok to ask about this here if not ill delete

Shaneus

On his blog he said "maybe" when asked whether his music will be in HM2.

And I hopped around the second EP (for clarification, first ep is MOON, second is Particles, and third is DAY/NIGHT) the second is just maybe too long. One song in particular I don't really dig. Still good but doesn't hit as hard because of that. The third is a much more upfront house sound which is a new thing for him. Incredibly alluring sound to me. Its that dark 80's sound he has mixed with 4/4 house grooves.
Two interesting things about the dude that I only just bothered to look up/notice now.
1) Most unassuming electronic artist ever, especially given the stuff he's putting out:
full-page-MOON_08.jpg

Yes, this dude had a stack of music in Hotline Miami. What the?

2) He's James Murphy's (aka LCD Soundsystem) nephew.

Bought Day/Night, haven't listened to it yet though. Looking forward to it, though.

Shaneus

I've been onto that for a little while now (I think I wrote it in my phone at some gig or other in Jan?). Very nice track.

Damnit, why can't that be the sort of music that's popular in clubs? It's deep, it has a groove, it's perfect for tiny boutique bars and good-size clubs, no squelchy electronic noise (has a nice, warm, analogue feel to it), inoffensive for practically everyone on the dancefloor, impossible to not dance to... I miss when that stuff ruled the clubs.

I suppose the last big commercial track that gave me that sort of vibe was this. Everything played in clubs since then has been crappy production with overly compressed tracks, excessive vocals and piercing, harsh synths.
And looking at the upload date... holy shit, that track's three years old? Christ.

I've been onto that for a little while now (I think I wrote it in my phone at some gig or other in Jan?). Very nice track.

Damnit, why can't that be the sort of music that's popular in clubs? It's deep, it has a groove, it's perfect for tiny boutique bars and good-size clubs, no squelchy electronic noise (has a nice, warm, analogue feel to it), inoffensive for practically everyone on the dancefloor, impossible to not dance to... I miss when that stuff ruled the clubs.

I suppose the last big commercial track that gave me that sort of vibe was this. Everything played in clubs since then has been crappy production with overly compressed tracks, excessive vocals and piercing, harsh synths.
And looking at the upload date... holy shit, that track's three years old? Christ.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

;)

Yeah its a few years old atleast. I remember hearing it atleast last september when I saw him play a great set at a small festival.
Though everything you said could be flipped to negatives, like designed for uptheirown ass wine bars as background music for people who have no intrest in the music to get wasted too.

Inoffensive would probably be one of the most offensive ways to describe a track to me, just means its meaningless, generic and forgettable

miksushag

Now now, there is more to clubmusic, forexample daft punk's get lucky gets played alot among electrohouse..
But for real. It is the trend now and it will die out pretty soon I guess. It is already dying out here in Fin, and I guess that UK couldn't give two shits about EDM.

There is good pop music coming out, loved the justin timberlake lp that came out in spring and Ciara's new lp.
Seems like this rnb'ish style is making a revival and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

the weeknd - belong to the world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYO77zNhWl4

edit: And you all are liars if you say that you didn't like Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe.

Shaneus

Though everything you said could be flipped to negatives, like designed for uptheirown ass wine bars as background music for people who have no intrest in the music to get wasted too.
Really? How can "having a groove" or "not having squelchy electronic noise" be seen as bad things?

Inoffensive would probably be one of the most offensive ways to describe a track to me, just means its meaningless, generic and forgettable
So music has to offend (or challenge) at least someone's tastes to be interesting? That makes no sense. I'd consider that Hot Chip/Sasha track to be inoffensive but it's still damn good. Perhaps a better word would be "accessible". Or maybe you need to reassess your definition of "inoffensive" ;P

Anyway, I was referring to tracks that practically everyone would dance to regardless of whether they knew it or not. I'll see if I can think of a few examples:
Supermen Lovers - Diamonds for Her (2020 Vision Remix)
Sono - Keep Control (Original Extended mix)
Axwell - Feel the Vibe (Extended) (don't forget the ridiculously good Tocadisco remix)

The most recent example I can think of right now that ticks all the boxes I mentioned (more or less) and is what I would consider "inoffensive" is this. Just does everything right without pushing the envelope at all. If this kind of stuff infiltrated club sets more (rather than just making up a small percentage of what you hear in a night) to bring it back to more 70s/80s disco sensibilities (as in, being more groove-focused rather than dominant synth-line focused) I'd be a lot happier.

Fuck, let's get back to grooving on a dancefloor because it's too damn easy to get lost in the music*, not because you're waiting for the inevitable "sick drop" (or whatever the young folk call it these days. Silly ragamuffins).

*Music that makes you instinctually close your eyes just so you can enjoy it with fewer distractions. You know what I mean! Stop calling me crazy.

Now now, there is more to clubmusic, forexample daft punk's get lucky gets played alot among electrohouse..
But for real. It is the trend now and it will die out pretty soon I guess. It is already dying out here in Fin, and I guess that UK couldn't give two shits about EDM.
"Melboure bangers" is a genre now, and it's literally everything I hate about commercial club music. Seriously, it's practically all you hear down here now in a mainstream club, whereas the stuff I linked to earlier was just as prolific, but 10 years ago now (fuck, it's been that long. Yikes).

edit: And you all are liars if you say that you didn't like Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe.
It's true, I'd be lying if I said I didn't catch myself singing along to it when it came on in the supermarket or on a radio nearby ;)

On the topic of shit that we probably shouldn't be talking about in this thread, I'm REALLY getting into Gun by Chvrches. I have a feeling I'm a bit LTTP on that one, but I don't care. Such a great little 80s new-wave disco-pop track, reminds me a lot of Grum.

gdt

I don't know that Inspector Norse is that kind of easy going track. That melody is instantly recognizable and in your face. Its not background music to groove to.

Praying-Mantis-LOL-Your-Wall-Post.gif

Wow ok yeah I can see your point. If you have to hear this all the time then I guess you would think that everyone everywhere else in the world is bro-ing out to this on nights out.
Inoffensive to me just means There. Its kind of ok, its not bad but then its not great either.

I guess you dont really notice how remote your music scene is compared to Europe? I would expect melbourne bangers in the BIG super clubs in london but I dont go to them so it passes me by.

thabiz

Surgeon @ Freerotation 12th July 2013
Steve Hillage - Garden Of Paradise
Panabrite - Index of Gestures
Henry Wolff & Nancy Hennings - Adrift
Terry Riley - Anthem of the Trinity
Location recording - Maui night crickets 21st January 2013
Alice Coltrane - Galaxy Around Oldumare
Mist - Mist House
Oneohtrix Point Never - Format & Journey North
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Coil - Are You Shivering?
Emeralds - Genetic
Laurie Anderson - Walking & Falling
Coil - Baby Food
The Irresistible Force - Flying High
Angelo Badalamenti - Into The Night
Coil - Amethyst Deceivers
Outer Space - Memory Bomb
Panabrite - Golden Drape
Location recording - Maui night rain 15th January 2013
Bee Mask - Vaporware
Scott Walker - It's Raining Today
Lloyd Miller - Rain Dance

Developer - Dystopian Rhythm Podcast 015

Jesper Dahlback & Cari Lekebusch - HPX71 B2B Promo Mix
01. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - 6 BIT Massacre
02. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Snejk
03. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Bellbottom
04. Jesper Dahlback - Abyss (unreleased)
05. Jesper Dahlback, Nima Khak - The Searcher
06. Jesper Dahlback - In The Tube (unreleased)
07. Tony Rohr - Oddrangement - Jesper Dahlback remix
08. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Moodswing
09. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Headbanging
10. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Latinator
11. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Bongo Slush
12. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - 1985 Again
13. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Flooded
14. Jesper Dahlback, Cari Lekebusch - Rockers (outro only)

bowery

Are hip hop dudes even into Ryan, Baauer, RL Grimes, etc?

i dont think a lot of the same people who like baauer and rl grime and flosstradamus tend to like ryan....a lot of my friends at school who are into this trap craze dig all that but dont listen to ryan i guess they've fallen into the category of US bro-trap, and in terms of hip hop listeners i dont think they tend to listen to electronic music even if its got hip hop elements. i think thats still a recent ongoing thing and people like just blaze who are well known in the hip hop sphere and venturing into electronic are helping bridge the gap.

oh and ryan plays a great live set, saw him in paris and even got to chat with him for a while over a drink because there's no back stage and the djs and performers just walk around the club, i asked him kinda stupid shit like why dont you tour with cashmere cat haha, regret not bringing up favorite anime/ video game soundtracks.

gdt

i dont think a lot of the same people who like baauer and rl grime and flosstradamus tend to like ryan....a lot of my friends at school who are into this trap craze dig all that but dont listen to ryan i guess they've fallen into the category of US bro-trap, and in terms of hip hop listeners i dont think they tend to listen to electronic music even if its got hip hop elements. i think thats still a recent ongoing thing and people like just blaze who are well known in the hip hop sphere and venturing into electronic are helping bridge the gap.

oh and ryan plays a great live set, saw him in paris and even got to chat with him for a while over a drink because there's no back stage and the djs and performers just walk around the club, i asked him kinda stupid shit like why dont you tour with cashmere cat haha, regret not bringing up favorite anime/ video game soundtracks.

Yeah Ryan is a different than those dudes.

Also mannnnnn I would love to buy your Disclosure/TNGHT tickets (I was planning to go to the show months ago) but fuck me I'm really broke for extra stuff at the moment. I borrrowed some money to make the DP on a car and I'm taking all of my disposable income to pay my aunt back as soon as possible. There are a TON of awesome shows lined up for the fall in Philly so hopefully I'll have my disposable income back by then. Disclosure will be in Philly in October I think and I'll cut someone if I have to to see them.

Shaneus

Praying-Mantis-LOL-Your-Wall-Post.gif

Wow ok yeah I can see your point. If you have to hear this all the time then I guess you would think that everyone everywhere else in the world is bro-ing out to this on nights out.
Inoffensive to me just means There. Its kind of ok, its not bad but then its not great either.

I guess you dont really notice how remote your music scene is compared to Europe? I would expect melbourne bangers in the BIG super clubs in london but I dont go to them so it passes me by.
Yeah, as we don't really have any "superclubs" that stuff tends to infiltrate pretty much anything considered a "club" that shoots for a mainstream audience. Obviously there's boutique bars and clubs that are more exclusive/niche and they're always fucking awesome, but there are so few of them in the town where I live (in Melbourne they're a little more prominent).
The point I was getting at was more that I'd love to go into any of these bigger venues and hear stuff that wasn't purely focused on the crowd members that took the most ice/speed/pills/coke/booze (aka "bangers"). I just wanna go into any "club" and hear solid-as-fuck "club music" like I used to /oldfart

Dreaver

Bicep have two mixes called Muscle works that are worth getting, I played them alot while I was away.
Nicolas Jaar and James Blakes essential mixes, nicolas jaar fader mix..ill have a think

Edit: Mala essential mix

I apologize for my late reply, but thanks! I'll be leaving tomorrow morning and my iPhone is full of mixes. :)

okno

Woo! Knock up a mix at home while you're still able. Smashed mixes am best mixes.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Not the smoothest mix ever, but that's kind of the idea then isn't it? I wouldn't normally share this, but I figured why not. The mix really hits a stride once "Singularity Jump" comes into play. I've been really feeling heavier techno vibes lately, it's so satisfying when mixed successfully with more house-y stuff. Enjoy?

tracklist said:
James Welsh - King Edward Street (Feat. Terri Walker)
Finesse - Believe (C.L.A.W.S. Night Mix)
Kate Simko - Go On Then (Ian Pooley Mix)
John Hughes Daydream - Thriller
Herbert - Oo Licky
October - Singularity Jump
Kevin McPhee - Unwind
Nick Hoppner - Bait & Tackle
Lasse Buhl - R38 (Milton Bradley Remix)
John Osborn - Epoch 4 (Version Mix)
Eight Miles High - Outtake
Motor City Drum Ensemble - Send Me A Prayer (Pt.1)

Top Bottom