• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

We need some kind of disscusion happing..
I dont know how or about what but these days its just people linking stuff and calling it a day. I dont even know if anyone checks out half the stuff linked if the poster does not gel with their music views/tastes.
Horrible OP does not help.

Do you lot buy vinyl? hell even just what records/tunes youve picked up would get this thread moving!

We have this pop up every two or three months, everyone pipes up and says they'll start discussing more, and then things just go back to the way they were. It has always been like this. I think most people are just busy and don't have much time to discuss, but would still like to share some things. It's disappointing, but the more everyone produces discussion the more others will join in. I think this song is pretty appropriate for this discussion: Candy J - Desirable Revenge (Jack 'Em Off Version)

okno

Mike Dred mix is niiiiiiice, exactly what I'm in the mood for right now.

New Aus Music release snuck out stealthily: Komon - Walk the Walk Heavy, heavy house vibes, pretty sure most everyone here will get a kick out of it.

We have this pop up every two or three months, everyone pipes up and says they'll start discussing more, and then things just go back to the way they were. It has always been like this. I think most people are just busy and don't have much time to discuss, but would still like to share some things. It's disappointing, but the more everyone produces discussion the more others will join in. I think this song is pretty appropriate for this discussion: Candy J - Desirable Revenge (Jack 'Em Off Version)

Haha yeah Im aware of that.
Still I dont have to pay to post so I like to moan about it when I can.
I quite enjoy having pointless arguments with shaneus but hes to busy with his melbourne bangers and being a late night tuff guy groupie to post anymore :p

Like the hiphop/rap thread is on like OT8!? though they do chat alot of shit so maybe theres that.

Disclosure essential mix is surprising me, nice to see that before people started throwing money and pop singers at them they do actually like good music.

joelseph

I like that the majority of content in this thread is just music. I can quickly go through it all and find the stuff that I really like and listen to it while I'm at work. After Google fucked up Reader I stopped checking my feeds and you guys keep me in the game. I trust you all to have great discussions but don't expect more from me than props for good shit! Love you guys.

okno

Haha yeah Im aware of that.
Still I dont have to pay to post so I like to moan about it when I can.
I quite enjoy having pointless arguments with shaneus but hes to busy with his melbourne bangers and being a late night tuff guy groupie to post anymore :p

Like the hiphop/rap thread is on like OT8!? though they do chat alot of shit so maybe theres that.

Disclosure essential mix is surprising me, nice to see that before people started throwing money and pop singers at them they do actually like good music.

He's definitely a fun one to lock horns with, that's for sure. A problem with this thread is that there is such a breadth of genres covered that it's hard to properly discuss everything without listening to everything posted. We all kind of tend to stick to what we like and will pipe up when something relevant to our interests gets posted. It's not only a problem in this thread, it's a problem in the entire electronic scene. Once you find your niche, you kind of just stick to it.

Also, miksu, nice picks up there. Bananarama <3 I also noticed Yazoo - Only You. Please tell me you already have Situation (US 12" Mix)? Such a jam!

Joelseph <3

Make sure to also pick this up, Miksu: Evelyn "Champagne" King - Shame Disco!

thabiz

He's definitely a fun one to lock horns with, that's for sure. A problem with this thread is that there is such a breadth of genres covered that it's hard to properly discuss everything without listening to everything posted. We all kind of tend to stick to what we like and will pipe up when something relevant to our interests gets posted. It's not only a problem in this thread, it's a problem in the entire electronic scene. Once you find your niche, you kind of just stick to it.

thats a bingo.

Divius

I occasionally jump in here and check a few posts, but since most of the stuff posted doesn't really appeal to me I rarely have anything to add :lol

Man! This is super cool to see Young Fathers at the end there. You need to give their second mixtape a listen ASAP.

One of my top three albums of the year.

K cool, will do! Thanks.

bowery

I think a good goal then is to expand you're niche, you've got nothing to lose by listening to more and straying from only listening to mixes etc from here when you see names you recognize.

miksushag

Jesus, would you stop talking already, way too much stuff for me to read.

edit: okno, will do! If you have more recs for this kind of stuff, I'm all ears.

edit2: King of the 80s ÜLLAR JÖRBERG, this guy is ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_R_Pi3NSAc

almost as good as Zlad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4

edit:3
1993 - 99 MAIN STREET RECORDS
Awesome, awesome compilation.
http://www.beatport.com/release/1993-99-main-street-records/12609

1 Round One Feat. Andy Caine &#8211; I'm Your Brother (Club Version) 6:34
2 Round One Feat. Andy Caine &#8211; I'm Your Brother (Chicago's Twisted Mix) 6:36
3 Round One Feat. Andy Caine &#8211; I'm Your Brother (Quadrant Dub II) 9:42
4 Round Two Feat. Andy Caine &#8211; New Day (Club Vocal Mix) 6:52
5 Round Two Feat. Andy Caine &#8211; New Day (Dub) 7:07
6 Round Three Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Acting Crazy (Club Vocal) 6:46
7 Round Three Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Acting Crazy (Instrumental) 5:31
8 Round Four Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Find A Way (Vocal + Version) 9:42
9 Round Four Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Found A Way 6:43
10 Round Five Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Na Fe Throw It 9:40
11 Round Five Feat. Tikiman &#8211; Na Fe Throw Version 4:39

SecondCity - BBC Radio 1 130 at 11 30 Mix for Skream and Benga (12/08/13)
https://soundcloud.com/secondcityuk/bbc-radio-1-130-at-11-30-mix

Secondcity - Something About you
Dust Clears (Russ Chimes Remix)
Owen Westlake - Your Love
Andrew Bayer & James Grant - Living (Anjunadeep)
Alfred Taylor - Kuza (Anjunadeep)
SecondCity - What can you do
Route 94 - Mind Games
Untilted - Untilted
Joel Compass - Fucked Up (Huxley Remix) (Blackbutter Records)
Prince Club - Before (Original Mix)
Secondcity - When i Hear
SecondCity - I Cant feel It
Wonder & Amazement feat. Jeremy Glenn (Deetron Vocal)
Change State - Heavenly Love
That Russ Chimes remix is bliss.

Also, my daily George FitzGerald - I Can Tell (By The Way You Move) post - Official Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyNANJDhmAY

thabiz

I think a good goal then is to expand you're niche, you've got nothing to lose by listening to more and straying from only listening to mixes etc from here when you see names you recognize.

the problem is we are a very small community. if you dont like what someone posts, then you tend to tune them out. then that pool you can dip your toes into gets smaller and smaller.

miksushag

I've got a fun little project for everyone! Help me find a CD copy of Nexus 21 - Real Love! It exists, but it's hard as balls to find, and I'm not buying vinyl at the moment. Kind of need this track.

Such an eternity project for me to get more into older techno and detroit techno. I know my model 500's and UR's though, but beyond that, I just don't have the time now :(

okno

edit: okno, will do! If you have more recs for this kind of stuff, I'm all ears.

It's my day off (a rarity for me) so I'm spending the entire day doing research, and just stumbled upon this ACE track: Lace - Can't Play Around (Larry Levan Extended Mix). Pure disco FUNK. I also completely forgot about this one, which is just tragic: Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face?. And how about Sinnamon - I Need You Now (Master's Classic Mix)? And maybe a little Serious Intention - You Don't Know (Special Remix)? And Mel'isa Morgan - Still In Love (House Version). Blissing out hard over here.

OH HOLY SHIT ALERT: Cajmere feat Dajae - Brighter Days

time

Not in the sense I think my time's too valuable to check other stuff out but more that I don't even have enough time to listen to everything that I know interests me let alone trying new things.

gdt

Speaking of Baauer, he's been kind of quiet since Harlem Shake blew up....I smell lots of rappers in his future :(.

miksushag

I guess he wants to get recognition as being more than the soundtrack to all those retarded harlem shake videos. Kinda obvious jump to move working with rappers, but it brings a priceless learning platform for him to utilize.

miksushag

Just found this gem by Omar S, he is a don.

Omar S Pres. Aaron "Fit" Siegel ft. L'Renee - Tonite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_2jH6bp6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjnFG9nesVQ

edit:

Dummy Mix 177 // Lil Silva
https://soundcloud.com/dummymag/dummy-mix-177-lil-silva

George Fitzgerald - Nighttide Lover (Hotflush Recordings)
Sampha - Without 'Dual' EP (Young Turks)
Lil Silva - One Twenty 'The Distance' EP (Good Years)
Kry Wolf - Concrete (Sounds Of Sumo)
MunniBrothers - Drum Machine (Dirtybird Players)
Lil Silva - No Doubt feat. Rosie Lowe 'The Distance' EP (Good Years)
Trevino - Shank (3024)
Frank Ocean - Pyramids (Def Jam)
French Fries - Vogue (ClekClek Boom Recordings)
Lil Silva - Mask 'The Distance' EP (Good Years)
Lil Silva - Gobble That (LS Whites)
Lil Silva - Salient Sarah feat. Sampha 'The Distance' EP (Good Years)

We need some kind of disscusion happing..
I dont know how or about what but these days its just people linking stuff and calling it a day. I dont even know if anyone checks out half the stuff linked if the poster does not gel with their music views/tastes.
Horrible OP does not help.

Do you lot buy vinyl? hell even just what records/tunes youve picked up would get this thread moving!

I listen to electronic music for 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week and have a huge record collection. I'm never in this thread because it's pretty much all mixes that I couldn't care less about and shitty singles from Juno/Beatport's top 10. I feel like no one in this thread "digs" or "discovers" anything, it's all just regurgitated tracks and mixes from the same 5 blogs and DJs.

Here's my collection if anyone wants to suggest or talk about anything in my taste range. IDM, ambient, electro, downtempo, synth-pop, "dubstep", trap, instrumental hip-hop, uk garage, and wonky abstract beats, weird house, post rock, italio-disco, chiptunes, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=SpiffyBiff

okno

I listen to electronic music for 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week and have a huge record collection. I'm never in this thread because it's pretty much all mixes that I couldn't care less about and shitty singles from Juno/Beatport's top 10. I feel like no one in this thread "digs" or "discovers" anything, it's all just regurgitated tracks and mixes from the same 5 blogs and DJs.

Here's my collection if anyone wants to suggest or talk about anything in my taste range. IDM, ambient, electro, downtempo, synth-pop, "dubstep", trap, instrumental hip-hop, uk garage, and wonky abstract beats, weird house, post rock, italio-disco, chiptunes, etc, etc, etc.

Generalizing much?

And now for something completely different: Grimes is on Boiler Room right now and she is playing some of the *worst* music imaginable, Beatport Top 10 dubstep bullshit, texting on her phone, and her dumbass friend is leaning on the Technics like a disrespectful idiot. Kind of surprised nothing is being done about any of it, but eh. edit: Right as I posted, someone told the wanker to get off the tables, finally.

lush

Lol. Such drive-by bravery. Perhaps you should try comparing your discogs list and your genres listed to what's posted in this thread past the first 5 pages.

Lol. Such drive-by bravery. Perhaps you should try comparing your discogs list and your genres listed to what's posted in this thread past the first 5 pages.

okno said:
Generalizing much?

Completely generalizing obviously, but there's a insanely high ratio of posts that contain variants of "the single of the week" and mixes to ones that contain content and discussion worthy of a thread called "The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™"

thabiz

Completely generalizing obviously, but there's a insanely high ratio of posts that contain variants of "the single of the week" and mixes to ones that contain content and discussion worthy of a thread called "The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™"

i cant believe you posted this and had a link to your collection. BWHAHAHAHA!

okno

The thread title was a misnomer when it first started. It's a constant criticism of the thread, and one that we have tried to fix many times but get shot down. It's just the thread title, not the thesis.

The thread becomes stagnant because of guys like you who come in, see nothing that they like and run off. Instead of trying to ignite some sort of real discussion, or to try and steer the conversation in a specific direction, you fire off an enormous list of music and say, "if you feel like it, talk to me." That's asinine, and just makes you look lazy. The topic was, "how do we get more discussion going in this thread," and your answer was to just bloat the issue.

I don't get it. Are you implying my collection is not electronic enough or consists solely of the same obvious electronic releases that get posted in this thread?

Im not even sure what the problem is?
I glanced at your first two pages and half that stuff is posted about in this very thread?

Hell if I do it by year added, nearly everything on there from this year has been talked about?

Pretty confused as to what the issue is.
Also Mixes are THE way to hear new music, not all of us have a direct line to Pitchfork.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more his post pisses me off.
So youve picked up the newest Commodo Deep Medi release?
What about anything by Gantz? Visonist?
Bought anything from Keysound recordings?
I saw you have Starkey in your collection, so bought any new grime recently? or do you know starkey as the guy that made that less than great Orbits album?

pfft dont know why I even bothered. If nothing else it highlights how stupid the thread title is.
They guy that made this thread was a real interesting character.

Top Bottom