• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Dreaver

So to the ones who suggested a few essential mixes a few pages back, so far I have listened:
Greg Wilson: awesome
Silicone Soul: super! Loved it..
Adam Freeland: a lot of fun, great mixing!
Mala: did not really liked it, but only listened first 45 mins.

I will give them all a second listen soon. I have also been listening a lot of Future Disco albums the past two weeks, god I love them... I can recommend them to everyone who likes chill/disco-y music.

New Apparat album is a lot of fun as well, but it is really music for a sad, rainy day.

A lot of new music in the thread, good! One more week in Firenze and after that it is time to listen everything again!

okno

bumpin. ralph keeps it real. always quality.

the track is tom trago - true friends. on rush hour. the steffi track on that ep is dope.

edit: home so heres the link.

http://www.beatport.com/release/two-together/1102900

i would also recommend the overlast ep that dropped recently on that label. stomper.

http://www.beatport.com/release/alive/1123239

Ok, I was wrong. Shit gets fucking FUNKY after that Trago track. So many tracks in there I need to find the names of, do you know the one near the hour mark with a vocal sample that mentions cocaine?? Dirty!

And thanks for the Trago tip! I've been meaning to check that sampler out, this gave me the push to do it :D

thabiz

Ok, I was wrong. Shit gets fucking FUNKY after that Trago track. So many tracks in there I need to find the names of, do you know the one near the hour mark with a vocal sample that mentions cocaine?? Dirty!

And thanks for the Trago tip! I've been meaning to check that sampler out, this gave me the push to do it :D

ma business dub - piek and efron. SICK track. peckerwood!

http://www.beatport.com/track/ma-business-original-mix/4106753

piston is a dirty label.

lush

God I hate that trapstyle that Rustie is doing at the moment, bring back the crazy synths and melodies.
I liked his last release, at least Slasherr. I agree with you though. Not feeling this newest track. Bobby Tank's last EP was pretty damn great for that older Rustie sound. Recent Girl Unit as well, especially Praise Dance which I keep plugging in here, needs to release already.

miksushag

I liked his last release, at least Slasherr. I agree with you though. Not feeling this newest track. Bobby Tank's last EP was pretty damn great for that older Rustie sound. Recent Girl Unit as well, especially Praise Dance which I keep plugging in here, needs to release already.

Yes, Praise Dance is amazing. Same thing with Girl Unit, he is way better doing melodic stuff than doing more rhythmic based stuff. Didn't love his Hysterix EP as much as his other work.

okno

333.jpg

The best $20 I've spent in a long, long time. A fair number of them are old hat, but many, many of these have never been available in a CD/digital format. The Cocaine edit of "Your Only Friend" by Phuture is worth it alone. Bam Bam - Make U Scream (Deep House Mix) I mean, are you kidding me with this!? Last edit: the sound quality on these tracks is SUPERB, possibly the best I've heard on some of these re-releases.

Also, PSA: Every Trax Record ever has been uploaded to Bandcamp. You can get a majority of these pretty much anywhere, but they're MUCH cheaper here, a lot of these aren't available elsewhere, and Trax sees more of the revenue.

gdt

Yes, Praise Dance is amazing. Same thing with Girl Unit, he is way better doing melodic stuff than doing more rhythmic based stuff. Didn't love his Hysterix EP as much as his other work.

Ooh I just listened to all his stuff.

IRL EP was ok. Club Rez was fucking AWESOME. And I really enjoyed the Hysterix EP. Just this really cool fuzzy hip hoppy sound.

Can't wait to see what he does next, to be honest. Praise Dance is indeed awesome.

gdt

333.jpg

The best $20 I've spent in a long, long time. A fair number of them are old hat, but many, many of these have never been available in a CD/digital format. The Cocaine edit of "Your Only Friend" by Phuture is worth it alone. Bam Bam - Make U Scream (Deep House Mix) I mean, are you kidding me with this!? Last edit: the sound quality on these tracks is SUPERB, possibly the best I've heard on some of these re-releases.

Also, PSA: Every Trax Record ever has been uploaded to Bandcamp. You can get a majority of these pretty much anywhere, but they're MUCH cheaper here, a lot of these aren't available elsewhere, and Trax sees more of the revenue.

I still don't know if these old songs are so ahead of their time or if we are just still stuck with this sound. Its crazy. Cocaine sounds like it hasn't aged a day. You could drop that into a set without skipping a beat.

Edit: Same exact thing goes for Make U Scream.

okno

Some of them people love just for the sake of nostalgia and being too cool for school, but a majority of these are just that good that they truly stand the test of time.

Shaneus, you'll have to excuse me if an ambient album by JLC doesn't exactly light my butt in fire at first blush. I'll give it a listen in the am.

miksushag

333.jpg

ffs, I've already spent too much money this month :(

edit:
Back 2 You (Jason Burns Remix)
Very nice deep house remix from the Symbols guy
https://soundcloud.com/jasonburns/back-2-you-remix-free-download

gdt: Have you heard any of Night Slugs catalogue? L-Vis 1990 is the main don, imo the best producer / DJ currently in their roster, Helix comes a close second.

okno

That Acid Rain comp is amazing for the price. The digital copy is only $20 with 61 tracks, and if you get the physical copy it's $30 (depending where you shop) and comes with a pretty wicked 32-page book. The only is that I wish Terry would have picked "Spank Spank" by Phuture. It's my favorite track of theirs and it hardly ever makes it into a re-release/compilation mix, and it would've just fit so well with the rest of the material. Some of the picks are just way too safe, but understandable.

Edit: Another thing I'm learning is that Traktor is HOT GARBAGE for early house/techno. I like Traktor, it's faaaaaaaaaar from perfect, but it does the job well for us digital guys. It, however, cannot at all create an aligned beatmap for older material. This isn't a big issue for me as I still beat match by ear, but god damn.

Editedit: I just realized this gloooooorious masterpiece is on here: Armando - Don't Take It - Thomos Edit. This is one of those tracks that I heard some mix several years ago (2006, I believe) and would just rewind it and rewind it endlessly. Never knew what it was until now :3

Shaneus

Some of them people love just for the sake of nostalgia and being too cool for school, but a majority of these are just that good that they truly stand the test of time.

Shaneus, you'll have to excuse me if an ambient album by JLC doesn't exactly light my butt in fire at first blush. I'll give it a listen in the am.
Yeah, not meant to ignite anyone's posterior, really... just unusual but quite good. Not unexpected given the quality of pretty much all his productions. Like this one.

One thing to note about it, is that the mix (or album or whatever) is called "Palindrome". And if you look at the waveform on Soundcloud, it mirrors itself *exactly* half-way through. Tripped me out when I saw it, and a great concept for a mix in a genre where you can get away with using sounds that don't sound weird when played backwards (like a kick or similar).

So to the ones who suggested a few essential mixes a few pages back, so far I have listened:
Greg Wilson: awesome
Silicone Soul: super! Loved it..
Adam Freeland: a lot of fun, great mixing!
Hah, I only just noticed this post now. I suggested those three, and whilst I'm chuffed you enjoyed them I'm more pleased that you didn't dismiss any of them given they're all VERY different from each other. A good indication that you're not a genre snob and can appreciate good music regardless of what category it may or may not fit into :)

okno

One thing to note about it, is that the mix (or album or whatever) is called "Palindrome". And if you look at the waveform on Soundcloud, it mirrors itself *exactly* half-way through. Tripped me out when I saw it, and a great concept for a mix in a genre where you can get away with using sounds that don't sound weird when played backwards (like a kick or similar).

I did notice that!! Really awesome idea, definitely excited to see how it worked out.

thabiz

Edit: Another thing I'm learning is that Traktor is HOT GARBAGE for early house/techno. I like Traktor, it's faaaaaaaaaar from perfect, but it does the job well for us digital guys. It, however, cannot at all create an aligned beatmap for older material. This isn't a big issue for me as I still beat match by ear, but god damn.

i cant help but simply laugh my ass off at this.

Shaneus

i cant help but simply laugh my ass off at this.
The lesson: If you have to, use something like Serato. I haven't used the USB controller-focused one (I think it's just called Serato DJ? I know the cut down one is "Intro") but if it's anything like the software for the vanilla Scratch control vinyl and box, it'll be a lot more basic.

I gave up on trying to beatmatch anything on PC when fucking around with DJing a long time ago. Have a few too many songs that drift and it's easier just to worry about them at the start and the end of those songs :)

But yes, it is a funny statement! Just sounds so... bizarre.

BTW What are you using to digi-DJ these days, okno? I still have my Typhoon I never use. Love to get something quality, but fuck paying more than $300 for something I'll (likely) barely use.

PS. Jesus christ, I really need to get off my arse and do a mix... and soon. I blame being too lazy to put new music on my iPod/Clip+ and not listening to electronic music anywhere near as much as I should (outside of clubs). I suck.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Dropping in to post a new song "Stasis"

Got a deal in place to officially release an album in my home country of Saudi Arabia. Breaking down barriers y'all! Would appreciate your feedback.

Need to go through some of this pages stuff.

@ biz
Listened to that album I was on about at my friends, Midnight is a tune.

I made this for a house party (bouncy castle party!) its pretty "light" few bits of cheesy garage and its faaaaaar from perfect.
Thought Id share as I'm passing it onto a friend anyways
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/2610372/file.html

Track list is something like:
Real- Gorgon city ft Yasmin.
Forget the girl (?)- Route 94
House is House- Dariuss syrossian
Vanishing point- Dusky
Feeling so special- Karma Kid ft Yasmin
Whats in your head VIP- Disclosure
Aue Seve- Julio bashmore
Jack- Breach
Rip groove- Double 99
______
Gotta Get thru this- Daniel Beddingfeild
Thong Song- Sisco
Keep up- Animal Youth
Bax- Mosca
Body Groove- Architechs Feat. NaNa
Started dicking about at this point..
More Fire Crew- Oi
Dizzy Rascal- I luv U
MJ Cole- Sincere

Dropping in to post a new song "Stasis"

Got a deal in place to officially release an album in my home country of Saudi Arabia. Breaking down barriers y'all! Would appreciate your feedback.

Nice one.
Its not really my thing either but it sounds like the soundtrack to some mad arcade game or something.
Im not sure how to say this in the right way but the EDM thread people might be into it more as its quite "pop" like.. still not bad.

Top Bottom