• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

The thread title was a misnomer when it first started. It's a constant criticism of the thread, and one that we have tried to fix many times but get shot down. It's just the thread title, not the thesis.

The thread becomes stagnant because of guys like you who come in, see nothing that they like and run off. Instead of trying to ignite some sort of real discussion, or to try and steer the conversation in a specific direction, you fire off an enormous list of music and say, "if you feel like it, talk to me." That's asinine, and just makes you look lazy. The topic was, "how do we get more discussion going in this thread," and your answer was to just bloat the issue.

The topic in the post I quoted was "there's not enough people posting in this thread, it sucks" and posed a "what have you bought lately" question in an attempt to spark the conversation. My response was "this is why I don't post in this thread and here's my collection of shit i've bought, lets talk about it". I don't know how much more on point I could be about the post I quoted.

I love the lazy accusation when so many of the posts here are mixes. Sure, let me listen to an hour+ of average material to find the one gem that may or may not ever show up. Posting my collection was meant as a "check out some stuff you might not have heard of if you like a variety of electronic music" not some stealth brag shit. I'm a discogs fiend though so maybe I appreciate looking at other people's collections/wantlists more than most.

I'm glad we can all agree that the thread title fucking sucks.

Im not even sure what the problem is?
I glanced at your first two pages and half that stuff is posted about in this very thread?

Hell if I do it by year added, nearly everything on there from this year has been talked about?

Pretty confused as to what the issue is.
Also Mixes are THE way to hear new music, not all of us have a direct line to Pitchfork.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more his post pisses me off.
So youve picked up the newest Commodo Deep Medi release?
What about anything by Gantz? Visonist?
Bought anything from Keysound recordings?
I saw you have Starkey in your collection, so bought any new grime recently? or do you know starkey as the guy that made that less than great Orbits album?

pfft dont know why I even bothered. If nothing else it highlights how stupid the thread title is.
They guy that made this thread was a real interesting character.

Wtf are you talking about? A vast, vast majority of my collection has not been talked about here. I did a bunch of searches for good measure.

Anyways, see my response to the quote above why I think mixes suck as a method for discovering new music.

In an attempt to be constructive and properly contribute to the thread:

So youve picked up the newest Commodo Deep Medi release? What about anything by Gantz? Visonist?
The Commodo release isn't bad but it's not really doing anything for me. Dislike Gantz for largely the same reasons. Most of the releases on Deep Medi and similar labels usually fall more on the "souless" side of dubstep for me...technically proficient but missing strong emotional and melodic sense I look for. I've been keeping an eye on Visionist for awhile because I like what he's doing but really wish he'd drop a meaty EP or album to sink my teeth into.

Bought anything from Keysound recordings?
Have a couple. EPs from Logos and Damu. Really liked Sully's album but apparently the vinyl pressing was abysmal quality so I haven't bothered picking it up.

I saw you have Starkey in your collection, so bought any new grime recently? or do you know starkey as the guy that made that less than great Orbits album?
Liked Starkey for years and have a bunch of his stuff. His highs are amazing but his lows are looooow. I like Orbits alot and think it's his most consistent release but it is missing that edge his older work had. Civil Music is a really awesome label.

Specific suggestions for people to checkout (all albums):
Andre Bratten - Be A Man You Ant (french house/downtempo electro-disco)
Karl Marx Stadt - III 1999-2009 (chill ambient/experimental/glitch/idm stuff)
HOLLAGRAMZ ‎– HOLLAGRAMZ (smooth ghetto house)
Bestovitch - Rituel De La Haute Magie: Kiss From A Witch (dj shadow/rjd2-esque sample based instrumental hip-hop)
Buvette ‎– Palapa Lupita (emotional & wonky instrumental synth-pop/folksy skweee)
Motëm - Psychos (sadboy rap/whiteboy crunk/hipster spoken word r&b)
Zomes - Earth Grid (fuzzy melodic drone/lullaby loops)
Golden Donna - Golden Donna (psychedelic new-age experimental trance fusion)
Dennis Busch - Total Youth (fucked up experimenal weirdo house)
Palmbomen - Night Flight Europa (really nice instrumental synthpop/chillwave)
Vuurwerk - Me + One (downtempo post-dubstep, melodic idm)

daviyoung

Banned
I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind the thread title :/

Ironically, and you won't like this suggestion, you should make us a mix! A good mix is both a showcase of your record collection, and your talent as a listener. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind the thread title :/

Ironically, and you won't like this suggestion, you should make us a mix!

I've made a ton of them (mix tapes though, not proper mixes). Used to post them in mix threads back in the day when Cosmic Bus made exchange threads

Here's the last one I made
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kx0x2tke0k5364l/interr0bangr_Mix_July2013.rar

1. Kidkanevil & Daisuke Tanabe - Tiny Concrete Block
2. Dijf Sanders - Cheerleader Memorial
3. Sleepy Town Manufacture - Owen
4. Mux Mool - Live at 7-11
5. Jel - Ignition Key
6. Jib Kidder - Aga Aga (Hiromichi Mix)
7. Motëm - Magnets
8. Lunice - Guardian
9. Sophie - Elle
10. Stubborn Heart - Better Than This
11. Alice Ant - I Want You
12. Lukid - Snow Theme
13. Boom Bip & Charlie White - Isabelle
14. Yellotone - Witterin

miksushag

In an attempt to be constructive and properly contribute to the thread:
gs?

Specific suggestions for people to checkout (all albums):
Andre Bratten - Be A Man You Ant (french house/downtempo electro-disco)
Karl Marx Stadt - III 1999-2009 (chill ambient/experimental/glitch/idm stuff)
HOLLAGRAMZ ‎– HOLLAGRAMZ (smooth ghetto house)
Bestovitch - Rituel De La Haute Magie: Kiss From A Witch (dj shadow/rjd2-esque sample based instrumental hip-hop)
Buvette ‎– Palapa Lupita (emotional & wonky instrumental synth-pop/folksy skweee)
Motëm - Psychos (sadboy rap/whiteboy crunk/hipster spoken word r&b)
Zomes - Earth Grid (fuzzy melodic drone/lullaby loops)
Golden Donna - Golden Donna (psychedelic new-age experimental trance fusion)
Dennis Busch - Total Youth (fucked up experimenal weirdo house)
Palmbomen - Night Flight Europa (really nice instrumental synthpop/chillwave)
Vuurwerk - Me + One (downtempo post-dubstep, melodic idm)

ermmm. Why didn't you this instead of provoking everyone first?
I'm going to check out that Bestovitch and hollagramz stuff, don't have the ear or time to get into any folk or experimental stuff.

edit:
New Jacgues Greene remix!
Ciara - Body Party (Jacques Greene Remix)
Damn nice again, lush check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6_Keu5wR8&feature=youtu.be

ermmm. Why didn't you this instead of provoking everyone first?
I'm going to check out that Bestovitch and hollagramz stuff, don't have the ear or time to get into any folk or experimental stuff.

No point of putting the effort in if people won't listen/appreciate it. At least now I know there's some passionate folks in here.

I use the term "folk" loosely. It's more just chill electronics with a few acoustic guitar and accordion sounds thrown in and some singing...kinda hard to describe...can give it a quick listen here: http://buvette.bandcamp.com/album/palapa-lupita

miksushag

kk, I'm not going to delve deeper into this mess. I'm bookmarking everything interesting sounding from this thread and eventually listen to them when I have time. I for one don't have 10+ hours each day to spend listening and exploring, school, music production, stupid girlfriend and such takes my time away lol.

edit: So sort of like animal collective, grizzly bear and such?

kk, I'm not going to delve deeper into this mess. I'm bookmarking everything interesting sounding from this thread and eventually listen to them when I have time. I for one don't have 10+ hours each day to spend listening and exploring, school, music production, stupid girlfriend and such takes my time away lol.

haha, it helps that i can listen to music all day at work so there's 8+ hours right there.

more suggestions for people since I have nothing better to do at the moment.

Praezisa Rapid 3000 ‎– 314159265 (one of my favorite albums of all time. really awesome blend of a bunch of genres. maybe for fans of mount kimbie?)
Indian Wells - Night Drops (sample based idm, some incredible stuff. i don't know if anyone knows/remembers secret mommy but it's similar only IW is more accessable for sure)
Hav Lyfe - Hav Lyfe (moody, dark weirdness, instrumental hip-hop in a blender with vaporware)
Mister Lies - Mowgli (more loose moody emotional synth-pop/downtempo stuff...for fans of deptford goth, airhead, cloud boat, etc)
San Gabriel - Volfe (more genre bending goodness, bass, downtempo, dubstep, leftfield, house, pop)
Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Rebellion Der Träumer (sweet, melodic idm)
Cylob - Cylobian Sunset (a classic from 1996. pretty much perfect oddball electronic music)

The topic in the post I quoted was "there's not enough people posting in this thread, it sucks" and posed a "what have you bought lately" question in an attempt to spark the conversation. My response was "this is why I don't post in this thread and here's my collection of shit i've bought, lets talk about it". I don't know how much more on point I could be about the post I quoted.

Well it wasnt really meant for randoms.
There are a bunch of guys who have been posting here for literally, years. Myself included.
So the comment was at them, myself included.
Not one random poster.

Then the rest of the post is dripping in
"look at you scrubs with your beatport music, My whole collection is founded on boards of canada and aphex twin, you clearly all know nothing blog following fools"

Just reeeked of elitist and man we get enough abuse for that because we dont all listen to EDM

Edit: the more I read, the more I think you just totally miss judged the entire thread.
There are people that just listen to 90s house, disco and techno
Guys that only listen to Newer house
Guys that are into abit of everything
Some who listen to mad/strange rap hiphop and witch house
Im pretty much the only person that will post dubstep (deep dubstep ugh. hate that term) and grime

Its varied and odd and does not really align in anyway, the only one uniting thing is that this is that noone will post "EDM" lol

Will check out your mix at work tomorrow as Im the same, 8 hours of whatever I want.

Feel free to look at my collection
http://www.discogs.com/user/Jlenham
and my soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/johnlenham

So do you actually play out or do you just have insane amounts of vinyl Eps

gdt

Holy hell, jacques greene remix of body party. Can't wait to check that out.

Such potential.

Where?

I'm starved for more JG. He needs to do an LP already dammit. That last EP was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I'd love for him to work with a longer format, let him experiment a bit.

lush

Where?

I'm starved for more JG. He needs to do an LP already dammit. That last EP was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I'd love for him to work with a longer format, let him experiment a bit.
Milkushag posted it a couple of posts up.

thabiz

Edit: the more I read, the more I think you just totally miss judged the entire thread.
Im pretty much the only person that will post dubstep (deep dubstep ugh. hate that term) and grime

Its varied and odd and does not really align in anyway, the only one uniting thing is that this is that noone will post "EDM" lol
now whos generalizing?

AVICII DA GOD

Shaneus

Thomas P. Heckmann (aka age, drax, etc) offloaded pretty much his whole back catalog onto bandcamp: http://thomaspheckmann.bandcamp.com/, tons of quality acid and ebm techno.

Talking of him, great yt with the man, 'Tech Talk: Thomas P. Heckmann (Slices DVD Feature)' , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8hCQWI9WJ0
Wait... he's Drax, as in Amphetamine Drax? I knew once I listened to some songs off that Bandcamp page I heard quality... but that explains it.

There are a bunch of guys who have been posting here for literally, years. Myself included.
Over four-and-a-half years. Come at me, bros.

Not one random poster.

Then the rest of the post is dripping in
"look at you scrubs with your beatport music, My whole collection is founded on boards of canada and aphex twin, you clearly all know nothing blog following fools"

Just reeeked of elitist and man we get enough abuse for that because we dont all listen to EDM

Will check out your mix at work tomorrow as Im the same, 8 hours of whatever I want.

Feel free to look at my collection
http://www.discogs.com/user/Jlenham
and my soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/johnlenham

So do you actually play out or do you just have insane amounts of vinyl Eps

hahahaha, if you wanna play that game, I've been posting on GAF since early 2000, right after the Dreamcast launch. Believe me, I've been in a few music threads before.

Anyways, I buy vinyl because I love music, collecting physical objects and interesting artwork. I don't DJ or anything, but I have a small music label (my claim to non-fame is discovering Teen Daze), produce shit here and there and mentor a few artists.

miksushag

okno, thabiz and all other technoheads. Who was the techno producer who had pretty much his whole back catalogue in bandcamp? He had this one tune with crazy acid lines and the music video was this 80s party (really crappy looking vhs rip or something), 'acid beach' or something was the title.

thabiz

okno, thabiz and all other technoheads. Who was the techno producer who had pretty much his whole back catalogue in bandcamp? He had this one tune with crazy acid lines and the music video was this 80s party (really crappy looking vhs rip or something), 'acid beach' or something was the title.

are you talking about heckmann that was posted earlier?

bomma_man

Did you see the lineup for Meredith Shaneus? Obviously not all electronic/dance acts, but there are a few rippers. Shame it's so expensive though :/

Chic
Derrick May
Jon Hopkins
Tim Sweeney
Andee Frost

Shaneus

Did you see the lineup for Meredith Shaneus? Obviously not all electronic/dance acts, but there are a few rippers. Shame it's so expensive though :/

Chic
Derrick May
Jon Hopkins
Tim Sweeney
Andee Frost
Holy shit. No, I hadn't seen it... that's a really obscure-ish lineup, too. Frost and May not so much (hardly obscure), but Sweeney is an unusual pickup. Chic as well... got damn.

Fingers crossed they do a sideshow. Whether they're any good these days or not is another story... but Rogers it couldn't ever be that bad.

When was it announced?

bomma_man

Holy shit. No, I hadn't seen it... that's a really obscure-ish lineup, too. Frost and May not so much (hardly obscure), but Sweeney is an unusual pickup. Chic as well... got damn.

Fingers crossed they do a sideshow. Whether they're any good these days or not is another story... but Rogers it couldn't ever be that bad.

When was it announced?

This morning I think. The line up is pretty diverse (deerhunter, Brian Jones Town Massacre, joey Bada$$, Leif etc) and I've heard the festival itself is one of the best in the country. Byo too. Pretty tempted.

They don't put any restrictions on sideshows either from what I can tell.

ChryZ

Wait... he's Drax, as in Amphetamine Drax? I knew once I listened to some songs off that Bandcamp page I heard quality... but that explains it.
Yep, he's sporting more aliases than Gerald Donald ...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Thomas+P.+Heckmann

Aliases: 8-Bit Science, Acid Pin-Ups, Age, Bossk (2), Death, Drax, Electro Nation, Exit 100, Freeek, The, Knarz, Knusperhouse Unit 1, Metric System, Parrot Torture, Silent Breed, Skydiver, Spectral Emotions, Stromklang, SYD, T. Tomato, Trope, Welt In Scherben

Donno, maybe Chris Moss Acid? http://chrismossacid.bandcamp.com/

LOL, oh wow ... Acid Tetris

AVICII DA GOD

tumblr_lpp71wwsTU1qmtnc9o1_500.gif

pOwb7qu.jpg

So is anyone on GAF excited about tomorrow's new BT album - A Song Across Wires?

It's weird, when These Hopeful Machines was released GAF seemed to be exploding but I haven't heard any hype for this album at all. Maybe BT released too much side stuff in between?

Anyway, very psyched for tomorrow.

Skylarking

More Jacques Greene for you!

Jacques Greene DJ Set @ Ray-Ban x Boiler Room Pitchfork Festival Afterparty
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLi7AAAH_Ds

Going to give this a go later!
This came up on my facebook. Bit of Dub for anyone that likes it.
Got their Ep a month odd ago and its heavy.

GORGON SOUND (PENG SOUND RECORDS)

TRACKLIST:

'Gorgon Wise' - U-Roy & Cornell Campbell
'Africa' - Ranking Dread
'Urban Gorella' - Twinkle Brothers
'Righteous Dub' - Gorgon Sound ft Guy Calhoun
'Clash of the Titans' (Hodge RMX) - Ishan Sound ft Ras Addis
'Tulpan' - Ishan Sound
'Marrakech Dub' - Kanka
'Anansi' (Gorgon Sound RMX) - Hylu & Jago ft Nãnci Correia
'Wonderful Feeling' (Gorgon Sound RMX) - Junior Dread
'History Dub' - Vibronics
'Skink' (Gorgon Sound RMX) - Ben & Lex ft Earl 16
'Circles' (Gorgon Sound RMX) - B-LAM ft Naomi Jeremy
'Dubchat' - Gorgon Sound
'Bare Gyal Around Wi' - Gorgon Sound
'Gorgon Living' - Gorgon Sound

daviyoung

Banned
pOwb7qu.jpg

So is anyone on GAF excited about tomorrow's new BT album - A Song Across Wires?

It's weird, when These Hopeful Machines was released GAF seemed to be exploding but I haven't heard any hype for this album at all. Maybe BT released too much side stuff in between?

Anyway, very psyched for tomorrow.

Nah, BT dropped off my radar after Movement In Still Life, and the album with Communicate on it is a steamer. His various Nsync and OST productions are average big beats. This Binary Universe was pretty bland and haven't listened to his latest.

Was a huge fan around ESCM, but he went off the deep end in the early 00s.

gdt

I love Nina Kraviz so much. The I'm Week/Tanya EP was so fucking dope and sexy.

Listening to the First Time EP at the moment, its great too. CPT Time is so smooth. I've heard mixed things about her LP so lets see how that goes.

Maya Jane Coles is a mixed bag for me. I've heard 4 or 5 of her EPs and she can be inconsistent. What They Say EP and Easier to Hide are easily her best (from what I've heard so far of course). Little One is so fucking good though.

Waze & Odyssey mannnnnn, they just do it for me. Their earlier releases can be mixed, but they really have gotten better and better and better. Love That (Burns Hot Enough) EP is fire. They can be pretty limited in their sound though. More so than anyone else I can think of. Ejeca was getting that way but then started to experiment with his last 2/3 EPs.

Lando Kal's Further/Time EP is good. Further is far superior to the latter track.

Glimpse's True South EP is baller as fuck. That title track is insane.

I'm totally in love with Mak & Pasteman right now too. It Ain't Right Dat sample.

miksushag

Maya Jane Coles is currently the average hipsters choice for housemusic. Nothing special imo, she has been in the game for 2-3 years now, easier to hide and what to say eps are still the best ones from her.
edit: should or should not get geogaddi in 12" hmmm.

thabiz

Started listening to this on my commute today and it's pretty nice. Nothing wild, just classic house. Do you know the track at the 30min mark? Fucking wild track!

bumpin. ralph keeps it real. always quality.

the track is tom trago - true friends. on rush hour. the steffi track on that ep is dope.

edit: home so heres the link.

http://www.beatport.com/release/two-together/1102900

i would also recommend the overlast ep that dropped recently on that label. stomper.

http://www.beatport.com/release/alive/1123239

Top Bottom