• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Sorry ElectroGAF, but this popped into my head this morning and I'd kind of forgotten how not shit it was. It also reminds me of hot chicks dancing in clubs to not shit music, so maybe that's a part of it too.

Gaf! Need some help for some mixes!
My friend is having a "club tropicana" party and I need to source some mixes for it as Im not "djing" or anything.

In my head im thinking house, 80s Miami vice kind of vibe?

Theres a few Feel My Bicep Mixes like this one
Hot Tub Jamz

Also one of the GTA Vice City radio shows sort of fits the bill.
Fever 105

Looking for anyother suggestions or recommendations if any of you guys have any.

le bip

Neo Member
Hi guys, first time posting in this thread, I lurked it for quite a bit of time and I have to say that you have awesome taste. Anyway, I just got to attend two big festivals if my city (Turin, Italy) where I got to see a lot of amazing artists (Vitalic, Matthew Jonson, Seth Troxler, Dixon, Maceo Plex, Four Tet, Koreless, Modeselektor, Julio Bashmore and others). I also got to listen to an incredible live set from James Holden performing his latest album in the most beautiful theatre of the city. You probably know it already, but give it a listen if you don't:

James Holden - Renata

Hi guys, first time posting in this thread, I lurked it for quite a bit of time and I have to say that you have awesome taste. Anyway, I just got to attend two big festivals if my city (Turin, Italy) where I got to see a lot of amazing artists (Vitalic, Matthew Jonson, Seth Troxler, Dixon, Maceo Plex, Four Tet, Koreless, Modeselektor, Julio Bashmore and others). I also got to listen to an incredible live set from James Holden performing his latest album in the most beautiful theatre of the city. You probably know it already, but give it a listen if you don't:

James Holden - Renata

Ah! my mate tried to get loads of us to go to that but I was broke from going to too many nights. He said James Holden was amazing and just the whole vibe was great.

daviyoung

Banned
James Holden is still around? Awesome, we crossed paths a couple of times in the early 00s but I never saw him play out. I don't even know if Border Community has released anything in the last 5 years, it's just fallen off my radar.

Saw Disclosure yesterday. Honestly it was a little bit disappointing. Their performance was pretty good (though I would have liked if they played some pre-Settle stuff) but it was way too crowded and the crowd was boring. They also didn't really interact that much with the audience. It still was a lot of fun and I can't complain for the price I paid.

Well their crowd is going to be a good chunk of top 40 people that have come to hear all their settle stuff and look about confused at everything else played. Curious as to how the are supposed to interact though? outside of looking up or maybe waving haha

le bip

Neo Member
Ah! my mate tried to get loads of us to go to that but I was broke from going to too many nights. He said James Holden was amazing and just the whole vibe was great.

Wow, knowing that foreign people even talk about events having place in Turin is a pleasant surprise! Both events were great, even if not necessarily better than last years, but Holden's performance was outstanding.

James Holden is still around? Awesome, we crossed paths a couple of times in the early 00s but I never saw him play out. I don't even know if Border Community has released anything in the last 5 years, it's just fallen off my radar.

The Inheritors is his first album in 7 years but this one is seriously one of the best of year, along with Immunity by Jon Hopkins.

Wow, knowing that foreign people even talk about events having place in Turin is a pleasant surprise! Both events were great, even if not necessarily better than last years, but Holden's performance was outstanding.

Yeah he said so many people were shocked when they found out he was English haha
He managed to blag a box for Holden.
1456630_10151866115413369_821587779_n.jpg

Very keen to go next year but I get the feeling its going to blow up now after all the positive press

injurai

Banned
Mmmm cushy seats. Can't say what would be better but I know I start to crave them after standing so long.

Venues need to sponsor some form of musical bar stools or something.

le bip

Neo Member
Yeah he said so many people were shocked when they found out he was English haha
He managed to blag a box for Holden.
1456630_10151866115413369_821587779_n.jpg

Very keen to go next year but I get the feeling its going to blow up now after all the positive press

That exhibition was completely different from the rest of the festival, which takes place in huge venues as usual and there are no seats. Club To Club always hosts a night where an artist - it used to be Jeff Mills for several years - would have an audio-visual performance at that theatre. Tickets were sold out so overcrowding shouldn't be an issue, and the stage for the main event is so big it shouldn't aswell. We'd love to see more people come here from all over Europe, this makes me think we are not that far from being up there with Berlin or London in matter of clubbing. What happened in the last years is incredible, right now we have at least a big name pretty much every week, plus two or three huge festivals during the year. To name a few, in the next two weeks we'll have Marcell Dettman, Octave One and Paul Ritch.

Mmmm cushy seats. Can't say what would be better but I know I start to crave them after standing so long.

Venues need to sponsor some form of musical bar stools or something.

You're right, the best thing I've ever seen in this regard was at Monegros, well, that place is completely crazy and they have pretty much anything one would think, but there was a "Chillout Area" where they had cushions and carpets to let people -most of them were passed out, lol- get some rest.

Dreaver

Did my answer to your vocal production question help at all? =) I'm willing to answer more questions aswell, if you have any. Just pm me bro!

I'm sorry, I totally forgot to answer! Yes it did, it's exactly where I was after. I'm just messing around in Logic right now. I'll keep the pm thing in mind. Thanks!

Well their crowd is going to be a good chunk of top 40 people that have come to hear all their settle stuff and look about confused at everything else played. Curious as to how the are supposed to interact though? outside of looking up or maybe waving haha

That might be true but that doesn't remove the fact that I would've loved some older stuff. I'm not really sure how to explain the interaction thing, sometimes there simply is a lot of synergy between the artist(s) and crowd and I didn't feel there was a lot. And don't get me wrong, it was still a blast.

I
That might be true but that doesn't remove the fact that I would've loved some older stuff. I'm not really sure how to explain the interaction thing, sometimes there simply is a lot of synergy between the artist(s) and crowd and I didn't feel there was a lot. And don't get me wrong, it was still a blast.

I think that is just because they are so mainstream pop now, and really they have like 2 songs maybe that arnt on settle (atleast if you count the "deluxe" version as the real one")
Ha, not defending them though I just think I would set my expectations a few bars lower now that they are so big as they have to pander to the new fans.

Never really thought about crowd interaction before.. only thing I can think is when dubstep guys play a massive tune and everyone roars they wheel it which only adds to the hype haha

Jezz posted more in the last 2 hours than I have in months.

miksushag

Gaf! Need some help for some mixes!
My friend is having a "club tropicana" party and I need to source some mixes for it as Im not "djing" or anything.

In my head im thinking house, 80s Miami vice kind of vibe?

Theres a few Feel My Bicep Mixes like this one
Hot Tub Jamz

Also one of the GTA Vice City radio shows sort of fits the bill.
Fever 105

Looking for anyother suggestions or recommendations if any of you guys have any.

Jackmasters Tweak-A-Holic mixes, theres three of them. Full of 80s goodness :)

https://soundcloud.com/nmbrs/jackmaster-tweak-a-holic-1
https://soundcloud.com/nmbrs/jackmaster-tweak-a-holic-2
https://soundcloud.com/nmbrs/jackmaster-tweak-a-holic-3

okno

URL says "Soulwax". Say no more, will check it out when I can.
(also, you're posting it. 'nuff said)

It is indeed done by Soulwax! It's a 55minute long mix (video, really) of a bunch of classic Gabber tracks, complete with people doing the Gabber dance at 115BPM (it looks just as silly). Gabber is one thing I could never, and will never, be able to wrap my head around.

This is my album of 2013, easily. Just gorgeous, gorgeous music from start to finish.

Shaneus

It is indeed done by Soulwax! It's a 55minute long mix (video, really) of a bunch of classic Gabber tracks, complete with people doing the Gabber dance at 115BPM (it looks just as silly). Gabber is one thing I could never, and will never, be able to wrap my head around.

This is my album of 2013, easily. Just gorgeous, gorgeous music from start to finish.
You heard Jacques Lu Cont's album, right?

;)

I don't know how this kind of slipped under my radar... was at the end of a Cajmere mix, PLUS I'd written it down in my phone 6 months ago when a mate played it out (just completely forgotten about it).
Cajmere, Sonny Fodera - You're The One (Pleasurekraft Remix)
Reminds me of that period around 2003-2005ish which had really great, deep club music as the popular stuff they played in clubs. Now it's all super harsh electro sounds and driving beats :(

miksushag

You heard Jacques Lu Cont's album, right?

;)

I don't know how this kind of slipped under my radar... was at the end of a Cajmere mix, PLUS I'd written it down in my phone 6 months ago when a mate played it out (just completely forgotten about it).
Cajmere, Sonny Fodera - You're The One (Pleasurekraft Remix)
Reminds me of that period around 2003-2005ish which had really great, deep club music as the popular stuff they played in clubs. Now it's all super harsh electro sounds and driving beats :(

Sasha & Digweed around that era: god-tier

okno

Howdy y'all! As some of you may know, I've been doing a mix series called Thursday Quick Fix Mix. I took a month off, sort of on purpose sort of not, and finally am releasing the next one. Thought some of you might like it.

Thursday Quick Fix Mix: Friday Edition

Jovonn - Project X
Meli'sa Morgan - Still In Love With You (Meli'sa In the House Mix)
Mr. Jones - FUN
Okain - O'Clock (Gerd's Deep Mix)
P. Toile - One (Kasper Bjorke & His Friendly Ghost Remix)
Paul Du Lac - Blowback
FaltyDL - Hardcourage
Deadbeat - Mercy Cage
DJ Sodeyama - Miles (Nick Curly Remix)
K.C.C. - Future III (Richard Sen Edit)
Prosumer & Murat Tepeli - The Jam
John Spring - Drummachines
L.B. Dub Corp. - Turner's House
Axel Boman - New Krau Era
Tom Trago - The Elite
Tin Man - Swarm
DJ Boom - Kinda Kickin