• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Divius

3C4l35R.png

woo

Shaneus

Oizo belted the fuck out of it when I saw him around 12mo. ago. Wasn't a big fan of his most recent (free?) EP.

So guys (and girls?), this is what I saw over the weekend:

Impressions*:

Saturday:
* Axwell: Shite. As could be expected.
* Maceo Plex: Hoooooly fuck. This was closer to a Maetrik set than a Maceo Plex one. Belted the fuck out of it like there was no tomorrow. Didn't play his remix of Silicone Soul's 3am (the Jazzercize remix) but everything was solidly in that vibe. Also played a great remix of Night Calls (which I have to find). Otherwise was glad to hear he didn't stick strictly to his own tracks, Shazam'd a number that weren't his.
* Solomun: Surprisingly good. There were a couple of shockers in there (a dub of Show Me Love :/) but overall he was far better than myself or my friends expected. More chuggy and driving, I was expecting something along the lines of Love Recycled.
* Claude Von Stroke: Had seen him before and had been let down, but this time he was quite solid and played a solid deep set.
* Fritz Kalkbrenner: I honestly can't remember anything specific about his set, other than it was quite good. Sucks I can't remember more, because it deserves to be noted.
* Hot Since 82: Didn't play anything like I'd expected, which in this case was a letdown. Far lighter than I thought, probably his "festival" set which would've been more suited to an open stage.
* Tommie Sunshine: Pretty hard but not horrible banger music. Were really only there to see him because a mate's girlfriend had been tweeting Tommie's missus for yonks and they wanted to catch up, but his set wasn't bad either (but not my thing at all, really).

Sunday:
* David Guetta: Oh my god. Looks like a bum, jumped on the decks (literally) more often that he was using them to play music and did that shitty thing where they pull down the volume for the crowd to sing. I have not seen a more self-involved, boring main act.
* Calvin Harris: Not great, cheesy, played his own songs for the time I saw him, giving the kids what they want I guess (which is cheesy, hard electropop shite).
* Empire of the Sun: Bahaha. Crap live act.
* Boys Noize: Better than I expected, played his harder tracks (I think I heard "Oh Yeah" though!) and whilst it was fairly narrow in selection, wasn't horrible.
* Zedd: Cheesy crap. Not necessarily bad, but boring and really not my thing.
* Hot Natured: Eh. Played a couple of songs that were familiar, but not very exciting.
* Cajmere: Knocked it out of the fucking park, as expected. Sadly it was a pretty big (echoey, rattly) room so it could've sounded better but whilst it was probably safe by his standards, I still loved the fuck out of it. Besides, he dropped this which I just adore. Understandably, I lost my shit.
* Flight Facilities: God DAMN. Played an amazing laid-back set, playing plenty of their own tracks (obviously) with live vocals as well as well-fitting random classics as well (Night Falls and I Feel Love both made appearances!). One of the two biggest surprise acts of the festival (alongside Maceo Plex).
Oh, and the lead singer chick is stupidly sexy. Ungh.
* Will Sparks: I sat in the stands playing Marvel Puzzle Quest while my friends decided what to do next. I had my earplugs in, but oh god it was horrible. Best thing to come of this fad is that being so big now is that it'll burn out even more quickly. I just want solid electro-house in my clubs, damnit :(
* RL Grime: Didn't see much, but he did play Gesaffelstein's Pursuit though, which was a bit rad.
* LNTG: Played as well as he could have, but he started early in the day (2:30pm) and there was literally no-one in there other than my friends and security/staff. Dropped some tracks not by him as well, including Down Fever (which is in one of his SC mixes) and Oliver $'s Do Your Thing (which I heard him play at a club gig a number of months ago). Shame there weren't more to hear him, the previous night in (his hometown) Adelaide he had a 9-10pm gig which would've been rockin'.

*Note: I did not necessarily choose to see all these acts, so don't use the selection as a reflection of my taste. Because fuck, there's no way I would've gone to see Will Sparks of my own volition.

Sorry for the wordy words, but I just wanted to get it out there in case anyone was wondering. Over the next day or two I'll put up the songs that Shazam did pick up on so as to share a bit of the love <3

My friend was at that, she said green velvet and maceo plex was really good. She went to see Andy C as well, no clue about anyone else, she did also tell me about the facebook pages dedicated to all the girls wearing nothing and the guys in speedos. Does seem like an intresing festival haha

zbeeb

Impressions*:

Saturday:
* Axwell: Shite. As could be expected.
* Maceo Plex: Hoooooly fuck. This was closer to a Maetrik set than a Maceo Plex one. Belted the fuck out of it like there was no tomorrow. Didn't play his remix of Silicone Soul's 3am (the Jazzercize remix) but everything was solidly in that vibe. Also played a great remix of Night Calls (which I have to find). Otherwise was glad to hear he didn't stick strictly to his own tracks, Shazam'd a number that weren't his.
* Solomun: Surprisingly good. There were a couple of shockers in there (a dub of Show Me Love :/) but overall he was far better than myself or my friends expected. More chuggy and driving, I was expecting something along the lines of Love Recycled.
* Claude Von Stroke: Had seen him before and had been let down, but this time he was quite solid and played a solid deep set.
* Fritz Kalkbrenner: I honestly can't remember anything specific about his set, other than it was quite good. Sucks I can't remember more, because it deserves to be noted.
* Hot Since 82: Didn't play anything like I'd expected, which in this case was a letdown. Far lighter than I thought, probably his "festival" set which would've been more suited to an open stage.
* Tommie Sunshine: Pretty hard but not horrible banger music. Were really only there to see him because a mate's girlfriend had been tweeting Tommie's missus for yonks and they wanted to catch up, but his set wasn't bad either (but not my thing at all, really).

Sunday:
* David Guetta: Oh my god. Looks like a bum, jumped on the decks (literally) more often that he was using them to play music and did that shitty thing where they pull down the volume for the crowd to sing. I have not seen a more self-involved, boring main act.
* Calvin Harris: Not great, cheesy, played his own songs for the time I saw him, giving the kids what they want I guess (which is cheesy, hard electropop shite).
* Empire of the Sun: Bahaha. Crap live act.
* Boys Noize: Better than I expected, played his harder tracks (I think I heard "Oh Yeah" though!) and whilst it was fairly narrow in selection, wasn't horrible.
* Zedd: Cheesy crap. Not necessarily bad, but boring and really not my thing.
* Hot Natured: Eh. Played a couple of songs that were familiar, but not very exciting.
* Cajmere: Knocked it out of the fucking park, as expected. Sadly it was a pretty big (echoey, rattly) room so it could've sounded better but whilst it was probably safe by his standards, I still loved the fuck out of it. Besides, he dropped this which I just adore. Understandably, I lost my shit.
* Flight Facilities: God DAMN. Played an amazing laid-back set, playing plenty of their own tracks (obviously) with live vocals as well as well-fitting random classics as well (Night Falls and I Feel Love both made appearances!). One of the two biggest surprise acts of the festival (alongside Maceo Plex).
Oh, and the lead singer chick is stupidly sexy. Ungh.
* Will Sparks: I sat in the stands playing Marvel Puzzle Quest while my friends decided what to do next. I had my earplugs in, but oh god it was horrible. Best thing to come of this fad is that being so big now is that it'll burn out even more quickly. I just want solid electro-house in my clubs, damnit :(
* RL Grime: Didn't see much, but he did play Gesaffelstein's Pursuit though, which was a bit rad.
* LNTG: Played as well as he could have, but he started early in the day (2:30pm) and there was literally no-one in there other than my friends and security/staff. Dropped some tracks not by him as well, including Down Fever (which is in one of his SC mixes) and Oliver $'s Do Your Thing (which I heard him play at a club gig a number of months ago). Shame there weren't more to hear him, the previous night in (his hometown) Adelaide he had a 9-10pm gig which would've been rockin'.

*Note: I did not necessarily choose to see all these acts, so don't use the selection as a reflection of my taste. Because fuck, there's no way I would've gone to see Will Sparks of my own volition.

Sorry for the wordy words, but I just wanted to get it out there in case anyone was wondering. Over the next day or two I'll put up the songs that Shazam did pick up on so as to share a bit of the love <3

I went to the Perth one, got the following comments to add:

David Guetta: horrible, didn't see him by choice. I imagine people who like his music would have enjoyed it.
Calvin Harris: Being honest, I don't mind his music and I enjoyed his set. There's lots of atmosphere when everyone is singing along.
Flight Facilities: Didn't see them at stereo, but saw them a few months ago. Totally agree, they put on a great show!
Zedd: Saw him last year as well and that was way better. Last year it was much more original music, less generic festival set... which unfortunately is exactly what this years ended up being.
RL Grime: Hands down the best thing I saw over the weekend. I had high hopes for the set and he totally delivered. I did lose my shit a little when Gesafflestein came on too haha.

Shame about Hot Since 82, I was keen to see him but ended up at Mat Zo. He was pretty good, but I don't think it was really suited to a festival..

Shaneus

My friend was at that, she said green velvet and maceo plex was really good. She went to see Andy C as well, no clue about anyone else, she did also tell me about the facebook pages dedicated to all the girls wearing nothing and the guys in speedos. Does seem like an intresing festival haha
The Melbourne one? They held the same event (but with rotating acts) over the weekend at Melbourne and Adelaide. Weekend before I think it was Sydney/Perth.

PS. That's pretty much the usual attire for any summer festival in Melbourne (possibly the rest of Australia as well ;) ).

PPS. I expect it to be a little more civilized at the NYD thing I'm going to this year... normally it's a similar event, but this year it's at a place called "Alumbra" (I think it's an offshoot of a Ibiza club?) and has Tenaglia and Morgan Page playing. Kinda pumped. Plus, the setup is far nicer than a festival:
540925_534815793203795_1975426388_n.jpg

I went to the Perth one, got the following comments to add:

David Guetta: horrible, didn't see him by choice. I imagine people who like his music would have enjoyed it.
Calvin Harris: Being honest, I don't mind his music and I enjoyed his set. There's lots of atmosphere when everyone is singing along.
Flight Facilities: Didn't see them at stereo, but saw them a few months ago. Totally agree, they put on a great show!
Zedd: Saw him last year as well and that was way better. Last year it was much more original music, less generic festival set... which unfortunately is exactly what this years ended up being.
RL Grime: Hands down the best thing I saw over the weekend. I had high hopes for the set and he totally delivered. I did lose my shit a little when Gesafflestein came on too haha.

Shame about Hot Since 82, I was keen to see him but ended up at Mat Zo. He was pretty good, but I don't think it was really suited to a festival..
Yeah, I didn't *hate* Calvin Harris, but I've seen him do a lot better. Might've helped that that was when commercial music was still quite listenable and didn't all sound the same. Seems he knows his stuff about crowd pleasers.
Almost kinda wished I saw RL Grime as well, but for the short time I was in there, it did my head in a little bit ;) It's not my kind of music, but I could definitely appreciate the quality it was.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Prydz supposed to play at Stereosonic this year? Did he cancel his flight at the last minute again?

As for myself I saw Gorgon City at a free concert in NYC this weekend. They were really good, played some good deep house along with a mix of their own tracks. It's funny though, the club was pretty packed for the opening DJ, who was randomly mixing pop songs together (things like Beyonce, Kanye, R Kelly, etc...), but as soon as Gorgon City came on half the people left. Kinda weird but hey, that means more space to dance for me.

okno

Wasn't Prydz supposed to play at Stereosonic this year? Did he cancel his flight at the last minute again?

As for myself I saw Gorgon City at a free concert in NYC this weekend. They were really good, played some good deep house along with a mix of their own tracks. It's funny though, the club was pretty packed for the opening DJ, who was randomly mixing pop songs together (things like Beyonce, Kanye, R Kelly, etc...), but as soon as Gorgon City came on half the people left. Kinda weird but hey, that means more space to dance for me.

Where was this? Sounds pretty wack, but I kind of love when that happens.

Saw DJ Sprinkles at Output on Saturday, still recovering from it. Just a brilliant night of music from everyone, but Sprinkles was on a different level. The deepest set I've ever experienced, the bass was overwhelming.

bowery

so at the workshop thing i posted about before i let mr.hemsworth know about neogaf and the support he gets from this thread haha. it was a lot of fun, nick hook and baauer rolled through also to just hang. basically it was amazing this thing was free you sit with hemsworth and xaphoon jones one on one for as long as you want and have them personally teach you ableton and logic

anyway i got the tsugi mix off his usb that he made for he made a couple of months ago that was cd-only and never uploaded so if anyone wants it message me

gdt

Goddamn damn that's some shit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Where was this? Sounds pretty wack, but I kind of love when that happens.

Saw DJ Sprinkles at Output on Saturday, still recovering from it. Just a brilliant night of music from everyone, but Sprinkles was on a different level. The deepest set I've ever experienced, the bass was overwhelming.

It was at Slake, a relatively new club in midtown. It opened initially as "The Wall," but changed its name within a month I think. Not sure why. I like it a lot though, they bring some good acts, the tickets are usually cheap (or free if you RSVP), the crowd is older and more respectful than your typical EDM clubs, and it never gets so packed that you have no room to yourself. I saw Four Tet here a few months ago, and Max Graham played a 6-hour set here over Thanksgiving weekend.

I know 2 names off that list, but only by name. :(

Theres loads on there but its funny so see how all these house guys appear further down based on how popular deep house has gotten, not on the erit of how well they actually DJ but hey Dj lists are allways a load of bollocks.

Dreaver

Well I don't know most names well enough to judge if it's a decent list, but at least it's a million times better than djmag.

Shaneus

a joke, year after year.
Maceo Plex is legitimately the only one that deserves to be on that list, going by his performance last weekend. Jamie Jones doesn't.

Other noteables who are at least on the list and deserve to be somewhere on there:
Solomun
Move D
Sven Vath
Guy J
Robag motherfucking Wruhme (at 82 though? Fuck's sake)

No Dimitri from Paris. No Cajmere/Green Velvet. No respect.

thabiz

Maceo Plex is legitimately the only one that deserves to be on that list, going by his performance last weekend. Jamie Jones doesn't.

Other noteables who are at least on the list and deserve to be somewhere on there:
Solomun
Move D
Sven Vath
Guy J
Robag motherfucking Wruhme (at 82 though? Fuck's sake)

No Dimitri from Paris. No Cajmere/Green Velvet. No respect.

They need to change the name. it should be The Most Popular DJs of 2013. nothing to do with skill.

joelseph

Thoughts on the line-up for this NYE event?
I'm only really familiar with MJC. Is the rest of the lineup solid? What kind of music do these guys play?

That's house house house. Eats Everything is the Stand Out. Trouble & Bass is Star Eyes local label. They are pretty good but maybe a little dated. Looks to be a fun party.

okno

Thoughts on the line-up for this NYE event?

Verboten NYE 2014
LEE BURRIDGE / MAYA JANE COLES [Special Midnight Set]
EATS EVERYTHING / MAHER DANIEL / GAB RHOME /
STAR EYES / DKDS / SURPRISE GUEST [TROUBLE & BASS]
Secret Location, Brooklyn

I'm only really familiar with MJC. Is the rest of the lineup solid? What kind of music do these guys play?

If you want a proper NYE party, come to blkmarket/resolute link

Line-up:

Matthew Dekay
Avatism (live)
Jimmy Edgar
DJ Three
Konrad Black
Taimur & Fahad
Connie
Dahlia vs Lauren Ritter
Thugfucker
DJ Tennis
Quenum
Willie Graff
Cem & Rg
jeffrey scott
tINI vs Bill Patrick
Cesare vs Disorder
DeWalta
Frank & Tony
NIL (Lou Velasco & George Chavez)

thabiz

Line-up:

Matthew Dekay
Avatism (live)
Jimmy Edgar
DJ Three
Konrad Black
Taimur & Fahad
Connie
Dahlia vs Lauren Ritter
Thugfucker
DJ Tennis
Quenum
Willie Graff
Cem & Rg
jeffrey scott
tINI vs Bill Patrick
Cesare vs Disorder
DeWalta
Frank & Tony

damn

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's house house house. Eats Everything is the Stand Out. Trouble & Bass is Star Eyes local label. They are pretty good but maybe a little dated. Looks to be a fun party.

Got it. I've never heard Eats Everything's music, but I've heard the name before. I'm listening to a Lee Burridge mix right now and I kinda like it. Super chill.

Line-up:

Matthew Dekay
Avatism (live)
Jimmy Edgar
DJ Three
Konrad Black
Taimur & Fahad
Connie
Dahlia vs Lauren Ritter
Thugfucker
DJ Tennis
Quenum
Willie Graff
Cem & Rg
jeffrey scott
tINI vs Bill Patrick
Cesare vs Disorder
DeWalta
Frank & Tony

Haha I know even less of these names. Who are the standouts here?

okno

Got it. I've never heard Eats Everything's music, but I've heard the name before. I'm listening to a Lee Burridge mix right now and I kinda like it. Super chill.

Haha I know even less of these names. Who are the standouts here?

Thugfucker, DJ Tennis, Matthew Dekay, tINI, Frank & Tony, Jimmy Edgar, Bill Patrick... It's a 24 hour party, the last one of these I went to got real dirty towards the end (in a good way.)

Edit: completely forgot Willie Graff!

Joe Fact mix
As a DJ, Joe takes a similar approach, often warming up clubs with long passages of jazz and soul. In the hands of most, it would be enough to make punters run to the bar and never come back, but Joe has a way with – and a clear passion for – these records that makes them work as dance music. His FACT mix starts in a similar vein, opening with tracks from Motown, Westbound and Philadelphia International before melting into house from Theo Parrish, MM / KM, Wbeeza, Jay Daniel and more.

bowery

bleep put airglow fires and bipp/elle as their top 2 tracks/eps of the year, would probably do the same, throw in the sinjin hawke three fine hoes remix which was absolute fire as 3 or something

injurai

Banned
bleep put airglow fires and bipp/elle as their top 2 tracks/eps of the year, would probably do the same, throw in the sinjin hawke three fine hoes remix which was absolute fire as 3 or something

If we are talking about Singles/EPs

I agree with Lone - Airglow Fires, my second would probably be Machinedrum - Eyesdontlie

injurai

Banned
Wheey Forest Sowrds is at 8! I told you all to listen but god knows if anyone did. Vapour City and Omar Souleyman too!

I must have missed your suggestion but I found it latter when that one guy posted like 50 albums that I had never heard of in here.

Really amazing, such a great find.

Top Bottom