• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

I must have missed your suggestion but I found it latter when that one guy posted like 50 albums that I had never heard of in here.

Really amazing, such a great find.

Yeah I put it as my album of the year in another thread.
Surprised Om Unit- Threads isnt low down on the list as well.

Young Hardwell Fan Disappointed Not To Know Any DJs On The Resident Advisor Top 100 Poll

A disgruntled Hardwell fan has today expressed her disappointment with the Resident Advisor Top DJs of 2013 poll, after claiming that she does not know a single DJ who made the list.

Stacy Jackson (22), claimed that, despite her in depth knowledge of EDM, she ‘hadn’t a clue who any of those guys were’ and that she would never pay money to go to a show where the ‘music and mixing skills of the DJ were more important than props and gimmicks’.

Miss Jackson, spoke of her disillusionment, “This so-called list is a complete joke. There are literally no DJs that I know of on there and I’ve been going to EDM events ever since it became popular back in 2009 so I think I should know who is who by now,” she explained. ”I’ve seen it all when it comes to EDM, I’ve been to Electric Zoo, Electric Daisy Carnival and Escape From Wonderland. I’ve even had Armin van Buuren sign my tits and gotten Steve Aoki’s cream in my hair on more than one occasion,” she continued.

“But one thing I’ve never seen is a nobody like Sasha or Ben Klock headlining an awesome festival. I mean who the hell are these guys?” she dismissively asked. “Some of them look really old too and aren’t even slightly hot. This whole list is a bit of an insult to my intelligence if I’m being completely honest,” she added.

“Everyone knows that Hardwell is the world’s number one DJ. Before today I always thought that Dixon was a county in Nebraska,” she continued, “And now you’re telling me that HE is the world’s number one DJ. I don’t think so! How can you be at the top of the list when you’ve never even made a track with Rihanna or Beyonce? The whole thing just doesn’t make sense,” continued the clearly confused young woman.

“I’ve spent all day looking up videos of these guys on Youtube. I can’t even tell if half of them are DJs or plumbers because all I keep finding are videos of boiler rooms, if I wanted to look at boiler room I’d go hang out in my attic,” she added. “When I did find some real videos of these guys they were so boring. There were no cakes, the DJs hardly ever put their hands in the air and the bass only dropped once or twice per track,” she continued disgustedly.

“The people at Resident Advisor really need to ask themselves is EDM about skilled DJs playing good music or is it about generically marketable douche bags playing mediocre music while using cheap gimmicks to distract an uneducated but extremely commercially profitable crowd,” she concluded.

Haha the comments make it.

injurai

Banned
Yeah I put it as my album of the year in another thread.
Surprised Om Unit- Threads isnt low down on the list as well.

Om Unit had a pretty awesome year.

“I’ve spent all day looking up videos of these guys on Youtube. I can’t even tell if half of them are DJs or plumbers because all I keep finding are videos of boiler rooms, if I wanted to look at boiler room I’d go hang out in my attic,”

amazing
2013 Goty comment

“The people at Resident Advisor really need to ask themselves is EDM about skilled DJs playing good music or is it about generically marketable douche bags playing mediocre music while using cheap gimmicks to distract an uneducated but extremely commercially profitable crowd,” she concluded.

Wait... I think she is confusing her conclusion with the one I'm supposed to be making XD

injurai

Banned
well mainly his captain murphy thing. so far flylo albums are clear of it but he said that "captain murphy is all over [the next lp]"

ya, and I just now saw those clip names to see what you were referring to

praise akai

lush

Jamie xx BBC Radio 6 Mix (12/6/13)

Jamie xx - Far Nearer
[unknown] - O+
Future - Girl
Jeancy - Reservation
Illusion Of A Band - Party With You
Cosmos Universal Band - Third Eye
Todd Edwards - Saved My Life
Kenlou - Moonshine
Leon Vynehall - Brother
playmodul - Null Vier (B1)
Philadelphia Brite - Never Leave Me And I'll Never Leave You
Crazy Bald Heads - First Born (Champagne Breakfast Mix)
Matlok - Anyway (Vocal Mix)
Monolake - Afterglow
Dorisburg - Mima
Four Tet - Lion (Jamie xx Remix)
Deptford Goth - Objects Objects
Borealis - Streamsnare
Hyetal - Northwest Passage (feat. Gwilym Gold)
Thomas Bjerring - 2:45
Red Stars Over Tokyo - Stop Staring At The Ground
The Invisible - Wings (Floating Points Remix)
Pional - It's All Over
Gerry Read - Roomland (Youandewan Remix)
Four Tet - Pyramid (Atoms For Peace Remix)
Fanga & Maalem Abdallah Guinea - Dounya
Diskoking Burnhart McKoolski - Talking About Togetherness
Mondo Wells - White Smile
Oby Onyioha - I Want To Feel Your Love
The xx - Missing (Jamie xx Remix)
Urban Jungle - Back In The Days
Desired State - Here And Now
Secrets - Sunrise
Jamie xx - Sleep Sound

BeeDog

Dang...

Rival Dealer: Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT tune. Hard as nails, though the slow ending is a bit annoying.
Hiders: Non-tune. Doesn't leave any impression whatsoever.
Come Down To Us: As hip-hoppy/Arrrandbeey as Burial can get, I would guess. Pretty good tune.

collige

Banned
2 much chat is actually a Mala tune and Coral reef on the flip is a Coki tune.

Its out on DMZ which can also be mistaken for Digital Mystiks tho!
It's being released as Digital Mystikz though, look at the artwork. Almost all of Digital Mystikz music is produced solo by either Mala or Coki, look at the two LPs.

injurai

Banned
2 much chat is actually a Mala tune and Coral reef on the flip is a Coki tune.

Its out on DMZ which can also be mistaken for Digital Mystiks tho!

Ya I know DMZ and Digital Mystikz are different.

It's being released as Digital Mystikz though, look at the artwork. Almost all of Digital Mystikz music is produced solo by either Mala or Coki, look at the two LPs.

This is more what I'm getting at. It's a strange relation. Sometimes they put it under their name, or their duo name. The majority of their work is put out in the form of singles. I know they also do a lot of singles and collabs with other people. It's probably this way because they are more focused on running their label and bringing on artists.

I never even noticed that and I own the thing.
The theme seems to be if its two coki tunes, its a coki Ep, if its two mala tunes, it a mala EP but if its one of each, its a Digital Mystiks even though they didnt make the songs together.

gdt

Leon Vynehall is pretty sick eh? His stuff rocks. Both solo and as a part of Laszlo Dancehall (new ep is great!)

New Mak and Pasteman kicks ass. Both songs are bangers.

Bicep - Satisfy rocks. Not as good as Visions of Love, but only because its the dark side to that EP's force. VoL is so damn upbeat and bright, while this ep is a way more minor key. Just slightly prefer the former. Still, easily their second best release.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Curious, what sets that mix apart?

I haven't listened to that particular one yet, but the site (somewhat vaguely) explains why they chose it

...despite being rough around the edges, as far as mixes go – be it free or commercial, or in the form of a DJ set or mix of original material – there was nothing better than 100% Galcher, spreading itself virally through Twitter and through simple word of mouth recommendation.

It’s difficult to put a finger on why this mix has struck such a chord with everyone who has heard it, but perhaps it’s because the music just feels like such a blank slate. On playing 100% Galcher to a friend in the small hours of a house party a few months ago, I tried to explain just who Galcher Lustwerk was in the best way I could to someone whose knowledge of house music was limited at best. In the end it was him that put it more succinctly than I could. “It reminds me of Burial”, he said. Stylistically, there is obviously nothing to compare the two artists, but in the way that Burial presented a starkly individual musical statement that took UK garage as its starting point for an exploration of what it feels to feel isolated from, or equally, in love with, the urban landscape, it feels as if Lustwerk is using the structure of house music to do something equally as personal, and more to the point, open to interpretation. Speaking to The Quietus earlier this year, Lustwerk talked about his lyrics, stating: “I just like setting the tone, setting the stage, the vibe, and letting my imagination fill in the spaces.” Approach his music like this, as a starting point rather than a concrete emotional statement, and it seems to have more in common with Untrue than the music initially suggests. Ultimately though, 100% Galcher is just an hour of great music to warm the soul, and if you haven’t heard it yet, you should do so now. That’s all the recommendation it needs.

andylsun

Got a wonderful gift from a friend of mine. His collection of Mo Wax CD's. Some I already had on vinyl and some I've never heard before. Looking forward to listening to them over the next few weeks.

There was also the Massive Attack singles box set, which I already have.

gjALiRR.jpg

bowery

The new Krystal Klear boiler room (skream and tensnake played the same one) such a pleasant listen, sitting in a parking lot and don't want to get out of the car because its so good

Divius

- NPR Top 10 Dance Tracks Of 2013 [Article / Individual tracks]
- NPR Top 10 Dance Tracks Of 2013 mix [Soundcloud / 60m]
GAF thread

Beautiful Swimmers, 'Running Over'
Disclosure, 'When A Fire Starts To Burn'
Galcher Lustwerk, 'Put On'
KMFH, 'Dr. Crunch'
Joy Orbison, 'Big Room Tech House DJ Tool - TIP!'
La Fleur, 'Nightflow (Kenny Larkin Drama Mix)'
Laurel Halo, 'Chance Of Rain'
Levon Vincent, 'Rainstorm II'
Mind Against, 'Atlant'
Todd Terje, 'Strandbar (Samba)'

I usually dig whatever NPR recommends, so I'm interested in checking this out. I only know 2 tracks.

okno

so lame output in bk is starting to frequently book shit acts

From what I can tell its because the awesome underground acts aren't exactly packing in the place. It's too big and these guys are still a niche market, even for New York. They have to get the shit balls in their to stay afloat. This is just from my experience, really, but I know they rarely sell out except for big, more mainstream acts.

That said, the next month there has some amazing lineups coming. Can't wait for The Bunker anniversary party. It's a shame Public Assembly is gone, that venue is what helped make Bunker so special.

Top Bottom