• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelseph

TL from guestmix11

01 roulet – kitamanda (mr gasparov rmx)
02 roulet – kitamanda (girl unit rmx)
03 diamond k & al ripken jr – hands in the air (bok bok rmx)
04 marcus price & carli – var e naaaken (bok bok rmx)
05 douster – a mi loco
06 lips – mbali
07 marcus price & carli – mat bira kvinnor weed (dubble dutch rmx)
08 bok bok – dance report
09 acid kids ft. marina – big foot (schlachthofbronx rmx)
10 sinden & sbtrkt – kind of familiar
11 nguzunguzu – el bebe ambiente (them jeans rmx)
12 malente & dex – habibi (julio bushmore hamilli rmx)
13 the rivera project – tribal king
14 etienne de crecy – hope (dj edjotronic rmx)
15 steve angello – valodja

Any halfway decent programs for making play lists? like I could do with one that makes ones by BPM or something as my ipod will be providing the music for a party this fri and it could jump from slow ass dubstep to super fast drum and bass and that could prove to be disastrous :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Poimandres said:
Oh my god Autechre was absolutely mindblowing. Like a rave from the year 3000.

Makes basically everything else seem... tame.

I hear the name "Autechre" mentioned from time to time in EDM threads, but haven't really heard anything by them. What's a good place to start, and how would you describe their style (I'm guessing some form of IDM?)

subrock said:
Just at Sasquatch this weekend and I think I'm going to rerecord it and tighten up a few spots. It'll probably be up next tues or weds.
Cough cough!

Ill ignore the fact your in Canada aswell! ;)

subrock said:
Just at Sasquatch this weekend and I think I'm going to rerecord it and tighten up a few spots. It'll probably be up next tues or weds.
nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

:lol
Cant get enough of Hypem I must spend atleat half hour an evening going through all the songs

subrock

haha, I have been seriously trying to get this mix out of my system but I'm not happy with it. its going to be another few days guys sorrrrrrrrrry :(

Shaneus

subrock said:
haha, I have been seriously trying to get this mix out of my system but I'm not happy with it. its going to be another few days guys sorrrrrrrrrry :(
Fucking hate it when that happens :(

What are you using to mix? I still prefer to manually mix using 1000s and the Ecler because if I get in front of Ableton my perfectionist tendencies result in nothing ever getting recorded :lol

subrock

Shaneus said:
Fucking hate it when that happens :(

What are you using to mix? I still prefer to manually mix using 1000s and the Ecler because if I get in front of Ableton my perfectionist tendencies result in nothing ever getting recorded :lol
VCI-300 and serato itch. I prefer to mix live than to use ableton, just so I know I can pull off live what I say I can pull off live. a proof of performance if you will :) my problem is that when I plan my mixes out too much I end up being less spontaneous and I spend half an hour trying and retrying a mix when really its just two songs that shouldnt go together. I'm gonna round up some new tracks and start from scratch.

Shaneus

Damn... knowing you've got that setup, I'm tempted to ditch my 2x 1000s (MK3s) and buy a setup similar to yours (controller pending) and a decent laptop. Bastard :lol

subrock

Shaneus said:
Damn... knowing you've got that setup, I'm tempted to ditch my 2x 1000s (MK3s) and buy a setup similar to yours (controller pending) and a decent laptop. Bastard :lol
its funny because I am almost considering getting what you have. :lol. my qualms with the VCI300:

- output level is very low. it sounds way weak vs CDJs. I've heard the ns7/V7/Allen and heath xone DX are vastly better in this respect though. there are 2 reasons for this, the VCI outputs a MIXED signal versus 2 unmixed signals, and its USB powered.

- stuck with the stock soundcard/mixer. low levels being the main reason one would want to upgrade mind you.

- internal digital limiter instead of analog distortion. when you max out a digital soundcard , it limits, when you max out a CDJ into a mixer, it distorts. for this reason a loud analog signal will sound way better than a loud Digital one. I find when I am really stoking the fires at a club night the sound gets muddy and lacks punch. super annoying.

- want the ability to have 3 channels on a mixer so I can use the serato - Ableton bridge when it comes out. VCI only has and will only every have 2 channels out.

That all being said, I really like the portability, reliability and super fast set up time. never had any problem with loss of sound or dirty needles etc. if I was going to buy into itch today I would either buy 2 V7s and a mixer or the Xone: DX, 4 channels, yum.

I'm considering either turntables or CDJs and a decent 3/4 channel mixer to use with an SL3 box in the future. I want enough sound to seriously injure people.

Shaneus

Maybe I should stop being lazy then :lol It's been far too long since I've burnt any music to even play around with, I just like the idea of the convenience that a USB/laptop combo brings. I'm still in love with my setup (the Ecler Nuo5 + 2x Mk3) but for lazy people, it isn't exactly a great combo... especially since I don't really have room for them in my current place.

I need some old, crusty floorspeakers to rest my decks on a la college dorm room rather than where they are now. I'm 6'4" and can barely see the top of my decks!

subrock

the VCI is SUPER convenient thats for sure. I can set it up on my coffee table and record a mix no muss no fuss. the laptop doesnt even need to be plugged in. I've even done a mix on the ferry ride over to vancouver. that being said though, the compromise you make in raw power is obvious with that kind of portability. have you ever used serato with your set up or are you just straight burning discs?

I'm digging into mixers and hardware on another tab right now and the options certainly make a daunting task of finding the right set up.

Shaneus

Just burning discs... decks are too far away from the PC and only have one main PC to speak of (other than my netbook). Serato is never really an option until I get a laptop, by which time it'll probably be easier for me to justify a controller than something Serato-esque (control CDs etc.).

Having said that, it's all pretty much a moot point considering I haven't knocked anything up for a really long time. I might see if I can rekindle something this weekend while I'm still not up for going out (have had the flu) and I can justify any further purchases from there :)

okno

Nyx said:
Really enjoying this set lately.

Barem Live @ Cubo Club, Campinhas, Brazil, 12-04-2009

He surely knows how to keep the bassline rolling. :D
I've heard three Barem sets before and all were extremely underwhelming minimal sets, but this set is really nice and varied. Definitely a nice surprise!

Apparently, Magda's debut album is coming in September! Didn't even know she was making a record. I can't wait.

I've also been returning to some older Fabric mixes, and am loving the shit out 31 by Marco Carolla. He's one of my favorite djs and has been rapidly gaining a huge following. Really nice mix.

btkadams

the mustard pimp remix of the willowz "i know" is out now on junodownload. i'm assuming it will be out on beatport/itunes on tuesday.

Widge

Sorry to SPAM YOU UP, but trying to get listens and votage for this competition:

http://www.letsmix.com/mix/44088/fortyfortyfun_02

Downtempo, IDM, Deep House, Electronic & Breaks. Its only 40 mins. Plenty of other noises on there for consumption too, but this is my big drive of the moment.

I'll ping out a TL for people who don't like to click links without an incentive. Mix streams rather than downloads but can give an mp3 if anyone wants it, plus all my stuff ends up on www.themixingbowl.org in the end (which you should really check if you like electronic noises).

Widge

Johnlenham said:
What sites do you lot find all this music on? I only hear new stuff via you lot:lol

I read Resident Advisor, listen to mixes, listen to stuff by the artists on mixes and the tree spreads out like that. Lots of stuff on themixingbowl as well which is effectively a source of great free music.

kai3345

Banned
So I'm thinking of going to an electronic music festival (incase any Austin-area GAFfers were interested, heres the link:FutureFest) A bunch of my friends are going and it sounds like a whole lot of fun. But I've also heard a bunch of horror stories about raves, like people tripping on ecstasy and shit like that and doing crazy shit that might endanger themselves and others, people getting in fights, just stuff like that. Anyone here been to a rave before, and what was it like?

And there's also the issue of my parents, I'm only 17 and I haven't mentioned it to them yet, what's a good way to warm them up to thinking letting their underage son go to a rave all night is a good idea?

btkadams

kai3345 said:
So I'm thinking of going to an electronic music festival (incase any Austin-area GAFfers were interested, heres the link:FutureFest) A bunch of my friends are going and it sounds like a whole lot of fun. But I've also heard a bunch of horror stories about raves, like people tripping on ecstasy and shit like that and doing crazy shit that might endanger themselves and others, people getting in fights, just stuff like that. Anyone here been to a rave before, and what was it like?

And there's also the issue of my parents, I'm only 17 and I haven't mentioned it to them yet, what's a good way to warm them up to thinking letting their underage son go to a rave all night is a good idea?
ive only ever been to one "rave", but ive been to a bunch of big electronic shows where people were high too. i don't have the experience of going to a place with tens of thousands of etards haha, just a lot of smaller shows with maybe 800 at the most.

i seriously wouldn't worry about it. ive had friends go to big raves with thousands of people and nothing really happened. a lot of douchey people like to go to raves as well as cool people. the douchey ones are generally doing coke, because most people on e are the kindest ever haha.

anyways, i wouldn't let that hold you back, just be smart when you're there. just stay with your friends and dance.

and make sure you see excision!

Shaneus

Best not to describe it to them as a "rave" in the first place. That word conjures up images in people's minds of people running around in fatty pants with glowsticks, pacifiers, necklaces and spikey hair dancing around like they have 240v going through them. Not the case. I haven't been to a dance party ("electronic music festival") like that for many, many years. In almost every case, it's just a bunch of people acting a little bit silly (as anyone does at a music festival, regardless of genre) and having fun.

Just keep that in mind, and do not use the word "rave" at all. Parent's worst nightmare.

Oh, and see Tittsworth. Fucking awesome DJ live, trust me :D

btkadams

Shaneus said:
Best not to describe it to them as a "rave" in the first place. That word conjures up images in people's minds of people running around in fatty pants with glowsticks, pacifiers, necklaces and spikey hair dancing around like they have 240v going through them. Not the case. I haven't been to a dance party ("electronic music festival") like that for many, many years. In almost every case, it's just a bunch of people acting a little bit silly (as anyone does at a music festival, regardless of genre) and having fun.

Just keep that in mind, and do not use the word "rave" at all. Parent's worst nightmare.

Oh, and see Tittsworth. Fucking awesome DJ live, trust me :D
i dont know. i saw cosmic gate at a place and the room was packed with girls handcuffed to each other with pacifiers and crazy fast dancers with glowsticks.

Shaneus

Probably right, but not the sort of mental image one should want to give one's parents, especially if it's one of their first big night's out ;)

Edit: I've largely found these days that the stereotype that goes with a "rave" (as I mentioned above) is far from the norm. You really have to go out of your way to see those sorts of scenes. For something that appears to be (relatively) commercial such as Future Fest (from what I can gather), calling it anything more than an electronic music festival is giving people the wrong idea.

I think we (I?) might be focusing a little too much on semantics here. But I know what my folks think about "raves" versus what they think about electronic music festivals :)

okno

Shaneus said:
Probably right, but not the sort of mental image one should want to give one's parents, especially if it's one of their first big night's out ;)

Edit: I've largely found these days that the stereotype that goes with a "rave" (as I mentioned above) is far from the norm. You really have to go out of your way to see those sorts of scenes. For something that appears to be (relatively) commercial such as Future Fest (from what I can gather), calling it anything more than an electronic music festival is giving people the wrong idea.

I think we (I?) might be focusing a little too much on semantics here. But I know what my folks think about "raves" versus what they think about electronic music festivals :)

Raves these days amount more to just dance parties and less to what they were in the 90s. I still a handful of candy kids at shows around here. Last time I went to Smart Bar, there were two kids doing poi with glow balls, one kid dancing with large white sheets (was kind of neat, but got pretty repetitive quickly. kid was definitely tripping), several kids with glow sticks, and one kid with LED lights. It was kind of refreshing to see them at the gig, as they brought a little bit of whimsy to the show, but they got pretty irritating after a bit.

subrock

http://soundcloud.com/touch-bass/summer-essentials-4

1. GRUM - Fashion
2. Scissor Sisters - Invisible Light (House of Stank Remix)
3. Lo-Fi-Fnk - Marchin' In (Astronomer remix)
4. Koobra - Thrills
5. Kids at the Bar - Your Body On Me (Jesse Jamz Remix)
6. Hot Pink Delorean Ft. Knowlton Walsh - Freak Night
7. Herve - Blaze It (Reset! Remix)
8. Tommy Sparks - Im A Rope (Yuksek Remix)
9. Gossip - Love Long Distance (Riva Starr Remix Vocal)
10. John Dahlback - Pyramid (Dirty South Remix)
11. Michael Jackson - Till you get enough (unknown remix)
12. Riva Starr- Spendido feat. Rettore (Vocal Mix )
13. Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand (O-God Remix)
14. Fenech Soler - Stop and Stare (Mighty Mouse Remix)
15. KA-SO-RE - Bunnies
16. Treasure Fingers - What Am I Supposed To Do
17. Miami Horror - Moon Theory
18. Louis La Roche - Missing You Ft. Ad-Apt
19. Human Life - In It Together (Polygon Palace Remix)
20. Calvin Harris - Flashback (Digital Freak Remix)

Slizz

subrock said:

1. GRUM - Fashion
4. Koobra - Thrills
15. KA-SO-RE - Bunnies

TY <3

Great so far

Dear god yesterday was a write off (yay hangovers from hell) as Friday we had my house party and yours (Touch Bass) and btkadams mixes went down a treat so thanks you two :)
Off to DL the newest one

btkadams

subrock said:

1. GRUM - Fashion
4. Koobra - Thrills
15. KA-SO-RE - Bunnies
that yuksek remix of i'm a rope is one of my old faves. definitely checking this out!

also, i have that shirt ;)

subrock

Davidion said:
You dropped some nice cuts in this one. Sounding good so far.
:) glad you like it. I was seriously on the fence about releasing it. I've been trying and retrying mixes for the past week and I'm a little too close to the project to know whether I like it or not :lol

oh and I forgot to mention last week after sasquatch.

deadmau5 with full stage and lights- DO NOT MISS
Z-trip- a little too cheesy old school scratching for me
A-Trak - fuck awesome, knows exactly what to do to whip up a crowd, screwed up a couple mixes though.
SMD (dj set) - way too minimal for a festival. I was into it but no one else was
Boys Noize- fucking hard ass awesome mindblowing set
booka shade - very euro- lacked a little life live. I'd rather see someone heaving over a synth and a laptop than cheesily playing an electronic drumkit. wankers.

btkadams

subrock said:
:) glad you like it. I was seriously on the fence about releasing it. I've been trying and retrying mixes for the past week and I'm a little too close to the project to know whether I like it or not :lol

oh and I forgot to mention last week after sasquatch.

deadmau5 with full stage and lights- DO NOT MISS
Z-trip- a little too cheesy old school scratching for me
A-Trak - fuck awesome, knows exactly what to do to whip up a crowd, screwed up a couple mixes though.
SMD (dj set) - way too minimal for a festival. I was into it but no one else was
Boys Noize- fucking hard ass awesome mindblowing set
booka shade - very euro- lacked a little life live. I'd rather see someone heaving over a synth and a laptop than cheesily playing an electronic drumkit. wankers.
im seeing boys noize at south west four in london this august. i'm stoked!!

subrock said:

YES! The Return of Summer Essentials! WOO!

I like how Getting Warmer only got tagged with Nu Disco, but this one got Electro, Nu Disco, Bangers and Electronic! :) I'm only about four or five songs deep, but loving it as always. I have no idea why you would be nervous about releasing this one...the transitions are tight and the tracks are fucking awesome. It's always great to hear these tracks that I would never hear otherwise.

I still need to see Deadmau5 live. I should have gone to see him at Lolla last year (I think?) but I missed him. Then I should have seen him in Chicago last winter but had class. Too bad he'll never come to Indianapolis. :(

Alucrid

Banned
Skiptastic said:
YES! The Return of Summer Essentials! WOO!

I like how Getting Warmer only got tagged with Nu Disco, but this one got Electro, Nu Disco, Bangers and Electronic! :) I'm only about four or five songs deep, but loving it as always. I have no idea why you would be nervous about releasing this one...the transitions are tight and the tracks are fucking awesome. It's always great to hear these tracks that I would never hear otherwise.

I still need to see Deadmau5 live. I should have gone to see him at Lolla last year (I think?) but I missed him. Then I should have seen him in Chicago last winter but had class. Too bad he'll never come to Indianapolis. :(

Deadmau5 is coming to Philly later this summer, however apparently I'm the only one interested in seeing him and I really don't feel like going solo. :lol

Also, downloading the new mix now. Will listen to it once I'm out of class.

Shaneus said:
Only really relevant for Australian gaffers, Pendulum have done a remix of the old ABC News theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iysSJ51sRc

Epic!

awesome.

every time I am in the car and listening to Fresh FM they say they cant play this song anymore cause they have just played it.

Ive been meaning to listen to it but kept forgetting when I got home.

Cheers

edit: also loving this Juan Maclean - Happy House track at the moment as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zVKnweTSDs

For some reason this reminds me of a few summers ago when I was listening non stop to House music during summer of 2005 - man, damn good times.

Widge

I'm really liking SMD's swing towards minimal, as I love minimal! Although there is a distinct swing towards deep house at the moment.

Anyone else checked James Holden's DJ Kicks? I think its outstanding!

Top Bottom